PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Seeking Advice - Tanjong Rhu

art10626
31-10-10, 19:42
Seeking help from all the experienced and knowledgable participants in this forum.

I am first timer looking for a flat (yes, still looking) with my wife. May I ask if there is anyone who feels that Tanjong Rhu is lagging in terms of price?

I was thinking that it is quite a good location, close to town with bay/river view, and Costa Rhu psf are only around $1000, which is not much different from new launches in further out areas. The avg price transacted for Costa Rhu was around 870psf, which is around a 15% increase. Are there any reasons why prices are not higher for condo in that area please?

Thank you very much.

mcmlxxvi
31-10-10, 19:50
I think Tg Rhu at 1k psf is very high already. Given not very accessible, relatively deserted, on reclaimed land and mostly 99LH. I do see quite many angmos at Kallang Leisurepark waiting for shuttle bus though which I suspect is from Tg Rhu so means it at least still draws the expatriate crowd to a certain extent. If for own stay you better darn well make sure you drive...

sh
31-10-10, 20:18
The main issue with tanjong rhu is almost all the condo there are 99year leasehold. The only one with FH is Parkshore, but it doesn't get any bay frontage, as it is completely surrounded by bigger neighbours.

The condos have been there are more than 10years, so 10+ of the 99yrs is exhausted. As it gets further into the 99yr, the faster the value is going to drop.

On the plus, side the bay fronting units are great. The new MRT line is coming (who knows when)

kingkong1984
31-10-10, 21:15
First home should be hdb, if want to stay condo, new condos just top will be better. Why tat area?

flxcat
31-10-10, 22:32
IMO, Tg Rhu is a nice place and more is coming along the way.

Not sure how big a unit you are looking at, as for $1K psf, should be at least 3rm, and the quantum will be quiit sizable >$1mio.

2 bedder not too sure if <$1k psf can get not. Also do note most are 99LH and the newest waterplace should have 8yrs old from the land sales date.

Unless you have the budget and not overly stretched, otherwise just like other forumer, first home should target HDB and buy direct from govt to start as a stepping stone.

Of course, only yourself know best. good luck :)

teddybear
31-10-10, 22:34
At what price? :confused: (Worth it or not is a matter of price! Why must be "new"? "New" will become old once a person starts to live in it!).

First home should be hdb, if want to stay condo, new condos just top will be better. Why tat area?

art10626
31-10-10, 22:35
Thanks guys! Appreciate your answers.

Had a stroll with wife in that area today and like that place quite a lot. There is only one SBS service there, happy to learn that there is a $4.5 per ride shuttle bus available to raffles place, haha.

Was also checking out another thread in this forum on Tanjong Rhu under MAster Plan 2008, sounds good though. 99LH doesn't bother me that much since now most development are also 99LH and I intend to stay there for a while...

Looks like gotta rethink since so many people are having reservations on that area. sigh, property, not easy not easy...

pod
31-10-10, 22:37
The leasehold title is probably holding buyers back, but they command good rental returns especially those 1st owners. (in terms of yield)

Casuarina cove - 1996 LH
Pebble bay - 1998 LH
Waterplace -2004 LH
Sanctuary Green - 2003 LH
Tanjong Ria - 1997 LH
Camelot - 2001 LH
The Waterside - 1993 FH?
etc etc

Perhaps also their size is bigger then those current 'MM' units, hence price quantum will shun first time budget buyers. The typical units at "The Waterside' is about 2000sf in size!

1000psf cheap meh? I tink they were proly sold in the range of 600psf + back then? Juz guessing :D

And yes, better make sure u drive!

art10626
31-10-10, 22:47
Thanks Flxcat!

Yeah, most 2 bedder have psf around $1.1k based on URA website, hopefully it'd remain there (and maybe lower? :) ) when I get everything ready and work on the sums....

Ok with down payments but definitely won't have any 6mth buffer (as adviced by most property books), so gotta work on the assumption that my wife AND i will hold on to our jobs for as long as possible....

IMO, Tg Rhu is a nice place and more is coming along the way.

Not sure how big a unit you are looking at, as for $1K psf, should be at least 3rm, and the quantum will be quiit sizable >$1mio.

2 bedder not too sure if <$1k psf can get not. Also do note most are 99LH and the newest waterplace should have 8yrs old from the land sales date.

Unless you have the budget and not overly stretched, otherwise just like other forumer, first home should target HDB and buy direct from govt to start as a stepping stone.

Of course, only yourself know best. good luck :)

art10626
31-10-10, 22:56
Sigh, guess 600psf is a thing of the past... if only i am born a few years earlier... (but then again, guess many people born then will be saying the same thing)

Was just doing a comparison... new launches further than AngMoKio and Bedok are asking close to the price... places in Amber Road are asking like 1200-1400 or more(granted they have much better accessibility and amenities) hence i thought Tanjong Rhu is kind of "undervalued" in terms of location and quality (that's before you guys alerted me to the 99LH issue)

Still have 900-1000 sq unit lah, but not many, unfortnately...

The leasehold title is probably holding buyers back, but they command good rental returns especially those 1st owners. (in terms of yield)

Casuarina cove - 1996 LH
Pebble bay - 1998 LH
Waterplace -2004 LH
Sanctuary Green - 2003 LH
Tanjong Ria - 1997 LH
Camelot - 2001 LH
The Waterside - 1993 FH?
etc etc

Perhaps also their size is bigger then those current 'MM' units, hence price quantum will shun first time budget buyers. The typical units at "The Waterside' is about 2000sf in size!

1000psf cheap meh? I tink they were proly sold in the range of 600psf + back then? Juz guessing :D

And yes, better make sure u drive!

devilplate
31-10-10, 23:11
Thanks Flxcat!

Yeah, most 2 bedder have psf around $1.1k based on URA website, hopefully it'd remain there (and maybe lower? :) ) when I get everything ready and work on the sums....

Ok with down payments but definitely won't have any 6mth buffer (as adviced by most property books), so gotta work on the assumption that my wife AND i will hold on to our jobs for as long as possible....

most developments there r big in sizes....and only big units got beautiful bayview which will cost u a bomb even at 1kpsf(full bayview units r asking ard 1.1-1.2kpsf)

i tink only sanctuary green and tanjong ria 2bedders still below 1mio whrby tanjong ria 2bedder having the lowest quantum...

no 6mths buffer...pls dun buy...buy HDB first la...cheaper and its an entitlement(GRANT) for married singka;)

art10626
31-10-10, 23:21
hehe, making me feel naive and reckless (i think i am...)

Remembered when my parents and I used to take cab past Tanjong Rhu on ECP a decade ago (and even when I dated my wife a year back) and I kept telling them this is the place where I want to be, now that I feel I am pretty close and am getting quite emotional and less careful with my numbers.... would need to rethink more rationally now...

Thanks for all your inputs, woke me up and knock some sense back into me. :)

most developments there r big in sizes....and only big units got beautiful bayview which will cost u a bomb even at 1kpsf(full bayview units r asking ard 1.1-1.2kpsf)

i tink only sanctuary green and tanjong ria 2bedders still below 1mio whrby tanjong ria 2bedder having the lowest quantum...

no 6mths buffer...pls dun buy...buy HDB first la...cheaper and its an entitlement(GRANT) for married singka;)

Douk
31-10-10, 23:28
Seeking help from all the experienced and knowledgable participants in this forum.

I am first timer looking for a flat (yes, still looking) with my wife. May I ask if there is anyone who feels that Tanjong Rhu is lagging in terms of price?

I was thinking that it is quite a good location, close to town with bay/river view, and Costa Rhu psf are only around $1000, which is not much different from new launches in further out areas. The avg price transacted for Costa Rhu was around 870psf, which is around a 15% increase. Are there any reasons why prices are not higher for condo in that area please?

Thank you very much.

In my opinion, tanjong rhu at <900 is reasonable buy. Though 99lh, the area has good potential, with kallang biz park, garden and sport hub in plan.

As a first timer, buying hdb or condo, u are likely to buy at peak, price may adjust downward, if unlucky. But with all the $$ printing, It is better to own a private condon than hdb. If inflation hit, and price rise again, private housing is less restricted by government ruling. When recession hit, and price fall, both hdb and private are impacted.:2cents:

Get a old resale which is lag in price.. Costa rhu is fine. Just don't overpay for a new development at this point. Definitely not the MM..
:2cents:

art10626
31-10-10, 23:47
haha, that touched on my raw nerve.

Under pressure from in-laws to buy a property asap. They got quite well off from property investment... and want me to follow them...

Given the economic uncertainties, the speed of price increase and the increased housing supply and government measures, I am quite bearish with property prices in the short run. however, i said the same thing to them and missed the 2009 boat, so can't delay anymore and have been looking for price- lagging properties.

Definitely no new launches or MM, they scare me...

In my opinion, tanjong rhu at <900 is reasonable buy. Though 99lh, the area has good potential, with kallang biz park, garden and sport hub in plan.

As a first timer, buying hdb or condo, u are likely to buy at peak, price may adjust downward, if unlucky. But with all the $$ printing, It is better to own a private condon than hdb. If inflation hit, and price rise again, private housing is less restricted by government ruling. When recession hit, and price fall, both hdb and private are impacted.:2cents:

Get a old resale which is lag in price.. Costa rhu is fine. Just don't overpay for a new development at this point. Definitely not the MM..
:2cents:

TS
01-11-10, 06:40
Tanjong Rhu is nice area. Good for rental but I won't really advise for own stay unless you have $$ to burn.

Costa Rhu is one of the cheapest in terms of psf. But note that their units are bigger than others. That means their 2-room is probably same size as Waterplace's or Santuary Green's 3-room, so prepare for higher quantum. It is also not walking distance to the MRT, while many others are. Of course if you can get a MBS view, then it can be nice.

tanumy
01-11-10, 07:40
Forget tanjong rhu and buy double bay residence at simei. A great place to invest with high capital gain.

Tanjong Rhu is nice area. Good for rental but I won't really advise for own stay unless you have $$ to burn.

Costa Rhu is one of the cheapest in terms of psf. But note that their units are bigger than others. That means their 2-room is probably same size as Waterplace's or Santuary Green's 3-room, so prepare for higher quantum. It is also not walking distance to the MRT, while many others are. Of course if you can get a MBS view, then it can be nice.

kingkong1984
01-11-10, 08:22
At what price? :confused: (Worth it or not is a matter of price! Why must be "new"? "New" will become old once a person starts to live in it!).
Below $1000 psf still ok. FOr newly wed, new is preferred. Location wise, subjective.

reuters
01-11-10, 09:24
If your wife and yourself are both working in the CBD, then it will be nice to have a home fairly nearby and this stretch from Tanjong Rhu to the end of Marine Parade is a good location. There is always a good 'feel' to the place, and the proximity to the sea is always a plus point. (We can always cut more trees and clear more parks/forests to give space to more high-rise flats, but Singapore's shorelines are only those that you see now). Property prices around that area are unlikely to drop because there will always a demand and rentals will continue to look good. In fact, those who are willing to sell their smaller units along the east coast are likely to buy a larger unit within their condos or estate area - imagine all this demand without an mrt station for years. What happens when mrt comes up in Tanjong Rhu and East Coast?

On the other hand, since you are a newly wed couple, it is better for you to stay near some good primary school for your (near future) child as this competition for a place in a good school will be an issue soon. Tao Nan School is not bad in the East area. If you are looking at even longer terms, look at River Edge condo which is fabulous, with a view of the Marina Sands and next door to Dunman High.

gohsoonk
01-11-10, 09:29
One more thing. On National Day, either camp at home or don't come back home to that area. It is always very very jam packed on National Day.

Thanks guys! Appreciate your answers.

Had a stroll with wife in that area today and like that place quite a lot. There is only one SBS service there, happy to learn that there is a $4.5 per ride shuttle bus available to raffles place, haha.

Was also checking out another thread in this forum on Tanjong Rhu under MAster Plan 2008, sounds good though. 99LH doesn't bother me that much since now most development are also 99LH and I intend to stay there for a while...

Looks like gotta rethink since so many people are having reservations on that area. sigh, property, not easy not easy...

teddybear
01-11-10, 10:04
Did you make a mistake? Singapore shorelines have been expanding outwards into the sea and growing! Those near old shorelines with sea views now mostly don't have with new buildings being built on the reclaimed land further out into the sea! :banghead:

If your wife and yourself are both working in the CBD, then it will be nice to have a home fairly nearby and this stretch from Tanjong Rhu to the end of Marine Parade is a good location. There is always a good 'feel' to the place, and the proximity to the sea is always a plus point. (We can always cut more trees and clear more parks/forests to give space to more high-rise flats, but Singapore's shorelines are only those that you see now). Property prices around that area are unlikely to drop because there will always a demand and rentals will continue to look good. In fact, those who are willing to sell their smaller units along the east coast are likely to buy a larger unit within their condos or estate area - imagine all this demand without an mrt station for years. What happens when mrt comes up in Tanjong Rhu and East Coast?

On the other hand, since you are a newly wed couple, it is better for you to stay near some good primary school for your (near future) child as this competition for a place in a good school will be an issue soon. Tao Nan School is not bad in the East area. If you are looking at even longer terms, look at River Edge condo which is fabulous, with a view of the Marina Sands and next door to Dunman High.

focus
01-11-10, 14:19
hehe, making me feel naive and reckless (i think i am...)

Remembered when my parents and I used to take cab past Tanjong Rhu on ECP a decade ago (and even when I dated my wife a year back) and I kept telling them this is the place where I want to be, now that I feel I am pretty close and am getting quite emotional and less careful with my numbers.... would need to rethink more rationally now...

Thanks for all your inputs, woke me up and knock some sense back into me. :)

yup.. tanjong rhu has an almost idyllic pace and feel ...
I also loved that place too :) Maybe you can buy a HDB like what most suggested and wait.. I'm sure new launches is in the pipeline once the Sports Hub is up. There are a lot of empty land around that whole area.

MGM Grand
01-11-10, 19:41
Tg Rhu....I owned a unit there for 12 years....recently sold 1.5 years ago. Nice place and close to town and katong. Downside...no amenities and not much upside for value. In 2005-2006 you still can get a unit there for avg $700-750psf. I expect prices will come down in time.

My advice is look elsewhere.... there are better locations that can command good value and returns.

Just my 2:2cents:

mcmlxxvi
01-11-10, 21:13
Says alot about the location if someone who had stayed there long periods of time advises you to look elsewhere.

reuters
01-11-10, 21:25
Did you make a mistake? Singapore shorelines have been expanding outwards into the sea and growing! Those near old shorelines with sea views now mostly don't have with new buildings being built on the reclaimed land further out into the sea! :banghead:

I think that is more of the west coast than east coast. Although, I have always been curious about that big plot of land at Marina East just before East Coast Park, near Tanjong Rhu - what if.........what if that becomes another big project like Disneyland+Disneysea? Looks like a perfect place for that sort of thing.

art10626
01-11-10, 22:12
Thanks guys, have a much better picture now...

Downside: No amenities, inaccessible, 99LH, limited price gain

Upside: Nice place water front, near town, room for potential development

MGM Grand mentioned limited price gain... i guess it is due to downside factors above... could it be a case of glass half full or half empty? unpolished gem?

If it is half full, ike reuters said, who knows maybe a positive development may just drop from sky? was quite excited watching News reporting Garden by the Bay just now, hahaha. but also can't wait forever... just like waiting for Nikkei to go up...

a common consensus seems like upside limited in the short run (thanks guys again), so shall wait around further for price drop. hopefully soon... current rent contract expiring july next year

pod
01-11-10, 22:26

MGM Grand mentioned limited price gain... i guess it is due to downside factors above... could it be a case of glass half full or half empty? unpolished gem?

If it is half full, ike reuters said, who knows maybe a positive development may just drop from sky? was quite excited watching News reporting Garden by the Bay just now, hahaha. but also can't wait forever... just like waiting for Nikkei to go up...

a common consensus seems like upside limited in the short run (thanks guys again), so shall wait around further for price drop. hopefully soon... current rent contract expiring july next year

I assume that once you buy a tanjong rhu ppty, u will surely need to renovate.

Pls budget that part of the cost too. Most of these ppties are pretty 'run down' or 'tenant ruined':D

But if u like it, jus do sme planning n discuss with ur wife. I tink the fun part of house searching is all these things that run up to inking on the paper.

*I remembered when I was driving into tanjong rhu 6yrs ago.. I was telling myself this place is so nice & 'liveable' (I love quiet places):sleep:

kstan2
01-11-10, 22:28
I still think that there are some potential in Tanjong Rhu (1) potentially a new MRT station to be announced in 2012, (2) a big plot of land new to the current golf course - was earlier identified for developing disney land - I think likely site for 3rd IR, (3) the new sports hub. I quite like that area for its bay/river front living and exclusiveness (not easy to get to if you dont drive and no amenities). However, in recent years the western expat has been moving out of this area, and being replaced by Indian nationals. That could be one of the recent why the price is not going up as much. 99 LH is another concern, so I think Waterina or condos along Meyer Rd will be a better bet if you really like this area

art10626
01-11-10, 22:46
hehe, you are right, this is a real joy. Wife and I were very "high" walking around the area next to the river but not so high when trying to work the numbers after hearing from you guys in the forum, haha.

I assume that once you buy a tanjong rhu ppty, u will surely need to renovate.

Pls budget that part of the cost too. Most of these ppties are pretty 'run down' or 'tenant ruined':D

But if u like it, jus do sme planning n discuss with ur wife. I tink the fun part of house searching is all these things that run up to inking on the paper.

*I remembered when I was driving into tanjong rhu 6yrs ago.. I was telling myself this place is so nice & 'liveable' (I love quiet places):sleep:

flxcat
01-11-10, 23:05
Still the stand from my previous post. Only u yourself know best. Do ur planning n sums after obtaining info from fellow forumers. If have the financial means do consider this area.

I still think is a gem that yet to be uncovered considering all the amenities coming along. U can also visit the other tg rhu thread where more was discussed.
When most of the amenities are up so will the px of new condo in tg rhu.

May sound lame, I do find once the bridge is built to connect the east garden to pitstop, will be great for a jog or stroll to marina bay area. Or alternatively head towards east coast park from under flyover near to SG condo.
Shopping will improve once sport hub is up n dinning areas near costa rhu n PB is up with water taxi plying between marina bay n
kallang basin n more.
Wrote too much. Still only u can decide. Good luck again

pod
01-11-10, 23:10
hehe, you are right, this is a real joy. Wife and I were very "high" walking around the area next to the river but not so high when trying to work the numbers after hearing from you guys in the forum, haha.

The potential in tanjung rhu is immense bro. Expect the transport system to be beefed up for this area + the possibility of more commercial activities in certain pockets along the river. (as indicated in Master plan)

Actually if u stay near the Tanjong Rhu Footbridge or Bridge/stadium way, u can actually 'walk' over to the Leisure Park/Indoor stadium/Theatre for more food & activities. Quite nice even when I imagine myself staying there now. Haha... :p (This I believe u have already know by now?)

devilplate
01-11-10, 23:13
get a FH in tat area lor if wana wait for those potentials to materialise....but tanjong rhu only one choice..lol

art10626
01-11-10, 23:25
Thank you very much Flxcat!

Still the stand from my previous post. Only u yourself know best. Do ur planning n sums after obtaining info from fellow forumers. If have the financial means do consider this area.

I still think is a gem that yet to be uncovered considering all the amenities coming along. U can also visit the other tg rhu thread where more was discussed.
When most of the amenities are up so will the px of new condo in tg rhu.

May sound lame, I do find once the bridge is built to connect the east garden to pitstop, will be great for a jog or stroll to marina bay area. Or alternatively head towards east coast park from under flyover near to SG condo.
Shopping will improve once sport hub is up n dinning areas near costa rhu n PB is up with water taxi plying between marina bay n
kallang basin n more.
Wrote too much. Still only u can decide. Good luck again

proud owner
01-11-10, 23:28
get a FH in tat area lor if wana wait for those potentials to materialise....but tanjong rhu only one choice..lol

i did consider Tg Rhu a few years back .. but i still dont like a place where theres only 1 way in and out ...

art10626
01-11-10, 23:48
Ummm... interesting... is this a fung shu thing please, proud owner?

i did consider Tg Rhu a few years back .. but i still dont like a place where theres only 1 way in and out ...

proud owner
01-11-10, 23:58

no ... personal choice

i just dont like to 'come out, MUST turn left'

i want to have the choice of turning right, or an alternate route ..

perhaps ... chinese sayings : 1 dead road .. or No back road

unless there are plans to open another way in.out of Tg Rhu ... otehrwise i wont take another look

personal preference

Meyer rd ... at least its slightly better .. can go eitehr direction .. out to Fort rd or Amber rd

reuters
02-11-10, 00:00

Have you considered further away... Telok Kurau to Siglap area?

art10626
02-11-10, 00:06
Ah... dead road one way... can understand.. hopefully a little bridge will help a bit ....

no ... personal choice

i just dont like to 'come out, MUST turn left'

i want to have the choice of turning right, or an alternate route ..

perhaps ... chinese sayings : 1 dead road .. or No back road

unless there are plans to open another way in.out of Tg Rhu ... otehrwise i wont take another look

personal preference

Meyer rd ... at least its slightly better .. can go eitehr direction .. out to Fort rd or Amber rd

flxcat
02-11-10, 00:10
Thank you very much Flxcat!

You are welcome. Nice to find someone passionate about this area, but still need to be rational before parting your cold cash.

First of all, no offence to owner of costa rhu just being objective.

In case you are going for Costa Rhu and targeting units facing the golf course, there are some units will have shadows of passing by cars on Benjamin Shears bridge being casted by the bright spotlights from the golf course onto the windows of these units. Just take note.

Mentioned here again as I could not remember if I did mentioned in other tracks. Cheers!

proud owner
02-11-10, 00:18
You are welcome. Nice to find someone passionate about this area, but still need to be rational before parting your cold cash.

First of all, no offence to owner of costa rhu just being objective.

In case you are going for Costa Rhu and targeting units facing the golf course, there are some units will have shadows of passing by cars on Benjamin Shears bridge being casted by the bright spotlights from the golf course onto the windows of these units. Just take note.

Mentioned here again as I could not remember if I did mentioned in other tracks. Cheers!

wow good info ...

just wondering .. would anyone buy
A. a unit with NO VIEW, but nice and quiet ,
Or
B. a unit with View, BUT noisy and dusty

flxcat
02-11-10, 00:36
wow good info ...

Or

Unfortunately I do not have direct answer for the above.

Allow me to try the following:

With limited knowledge of the area, and die die must buy, go for unit with NO VIEW, but nice and quiet. Something you can be sure of achieving after spending the money.

With a little bit more knowledge of the area e.g Tg Rhu.
Based on the potential of future developments, and with nice seaview complemented with city skyline to make it less boring esp during the night time and greenery provided by the marina gardens, and also with MCE coming soon, Ben Bridge will have less heavy trucks, buses and of course ERP charges expecting to be more expensive, so hopefully less trafiic or jam. Once in awhile sighting an expensive prancing horse or bull run up or down the Ben Bridge (again hopefully not in the middle of my sleep), I will will go for a unit with View, BUT noisy and dusty.

Just purely my own accord :) Cheers!

reuters
02-11-10, 01:03
wow good info ...

Or

Location is most important. Best is to get a unit that has view, nice and quiet and located near to cinema, shopping centres, good food, beach, market, town centre, library, ntuc, cold storage, and banks :). Better if it is even near to mrt station, has nice clubhouse, big swimming pools, lovely condo estate, and near cafes, reasonably near to city centre too.

proud owner
02-11-10, 01:16
Location is most important. Best is to get a unit that has view, nice and quiet and located near to cinema, shopping centres, good food, beach, market, town centre, library, ntuc, cold storage, and banks :). Better if it is even near to mrt station, has nice clubhouse, big swimming pools, lovely condo estate, and near cafes, reasonably near to city centre too.

hahaha ideally lah .....
but where to find ...

spore landscape changing constantly .. view today ...will be gone in no time ...

gwlip
02-11-10, 01:23

It's a private enclave and nice to stay but accessibility is limited now. Its not for you if you prefer to have an mrt at your doorstep and near a hawker center (although eating at marina golf course cafe and enjoying the view is quite nice!)

Lotsa expats here, and a big Indian community.

As for the opinion of limited price gain, I think there is an extreme spectrum of opinions on that. Personally (and like flxcat I am obviously biased) I think this area has erm decent potential.. ;) (it is good to know the government has not forgotten about this area and increased the development charge at tanjong rhu by 28% 2 months back.. even though nothings being developed here at the moment? :beats-me-man:)

But having a nice gardens by the bay at the doorstep is just nice for own stay IMO if you enjoy nature, walking and cycling in a scenic area.

Good luck in your quest just don't overstretch yourself!
(oh yeah as flxcat suggested visit the tanjong rhu thread... see if you can help guess where the mrt station will be near which condo)

Geylang OKT
02-11-10, 06:55
2 nationalities (note: not races) tend to be unpopular among the other residents in that area of obvious reasons:

Indians
Koreans

:D

reuters
02-11-10, 08:49
hahaha ideally lah .....
but where to find ...

spore landscape changing constantly .. view today ...will be gone in no time ...

haha, I also thought this is not possible until I went to see one unit in Marine Parade. The estate is so huge, it has 3 exits - one leading to Parkway Parade across the road, the other leading to Katong shopping centre/Katong Mall/Paramount Hotel (now put up on collective sale) and many nice eateries/cafes, and its front entrance is walking distance to an underpass leading to the beach with more cafes/restaurants. Since Parkway Parade is near to Marine Parade town centre, this condo is effectively near to banks, library, NTUC, cold storage, market, hawker centre, etc. It has huge pools, tennis courts, basketball court, nice clubhouse and lots of parking space for people with more cars. It has either the view of the sea (which will be blocked later on by other buildings) or the city view which is currently nice because the buildings around that direction are mostly low-rise private houses. If these amenities are still not enough, it is also walking distance to two swimming clubs and a short drive to the future sports hub. Those who look for fengshui will also notice a roundabout at the corner of the estate - such roundabouts are very rare already. Everything is nice except there is no mrt nearby!!! you got to drive :)

teddybear
02-11-10, 08:56
That is why I prefer being near to amenites (in order of preference: Central location (CCR), Good schools (<=1km), MRT station, supermarket (must be big enough size, not the MM type), eateries, bank branch, other miscel shops, condo facilities). View is not important but is only good to have. Pockets of view already very good enough in the city! Where to find a place that is in the city near to all the amenities and yet quiet? Quietest facing among all units in the estate may be. :D

hahaha ideally lah .....
but where to find ...

teddybear
02-11-10, 09:01
Why Koreans hah? :confused:

2 nationalities (note: not races) tend to be unpopular among the other residents in that area of obvious reasons:

Indians
Koreans

:D

teddybear
02-11-10, 09:08
Near is how near? You see adverts on newspapers for new launches - 15 mins walking distance and they said "near" and "walkable" (like real in Singapore with that hot and humid weather).

What has the roundabout by itself to do with fengshui of your house? :confused:

No MRT? Write off already! :p

By the way, East Coast fengshui for those facing the sea is leaking-money fengshui. Unless you are very rich with a lot of money to burn, living in such leaking-money fengshui will leak all your money as time goes by (unless you can earn much more & faster than you leak - Just like only the Emperor got the fate to live in the forbidden city type of fengshui). :p

haha, I also thought this is not possible until I went to see one unit in Marine Parade. The estate is so huge, it has 3 exits - one leading to Parkway Parade across the road, the other leading to Katong shopping centre/Katong Mall/Paramount Hotel (now put up on collective sale) and many nice eateries/cafes, and its front entrance is walking distance to an underpass leading to the beach with more cafes/restaurants. Since Parkway Parade is near to Marine Parade town centre, this condo is effectively near to banks, library, NTUC, cold storage, market, hawker centre, etc. It has huge pools, tennis courts, basketball court, nice clubhouse and lots of parking space for people with more cars. It has either the view of the sea (which will be blocked later on by other buildings) or the city view which is currently nice because the buildings around that direction are mostly low-rise private houses. If these amenities are still not enough, it is also walking distance to two swimming clubs and a short drive to the future sports hub. Those who look for fengshui will also notice a roundabout at the corner of the estate - such roundabouts are very rare already. Everything is nice except there is no mrt nearby!!! you got to drive :)

reuters
02-11-10, 09:38
Near is how near? You see adverts on newspapers for new launches - 15 mins walking distance and they said "near" and "walkable" (like real in Singapore with that hot and humid weather).

What has the roundabout by itself to do with fengshui of your house? :confused:

No MRT? Write off already! :p

By the way, East Coast fengshui for those facing the sea is leaking-money fengshui. Unless you are very rich with a lot of money to burn, living in such leaking-money fengshui will leak all your money as time goes by (unless you can earn much more & faster than you leak - Just like only the Emperor got the fate to live in the forbidden city type of fengshui). :p

Really? Oh dear... those people at East Coast better must be bankrupt by now if what you say is true. All the people near Sentosa Cove, Carribeans at KeppelBay and East Coast are all losing money? Which is a good sea facing then? Pasir Ris?

No MRT means write off already? Then those at Orchard area but not exactly near the mrt better quickly sell too!

The units I saw at Marine Parade are within 5 mins walk according to my leisure walk pace, but of course teddybears take a longer time - they are heavier?

teddybear
02-11-10, 09:48
Those people mostly very rich mah, can leak for 3 generations their money also cannot finish spending. Average people can afford >$2500 psf? :p

Really? Oh dear... those people at East Coast better must be bankrupt by now if what you say is true. All the people near Sentosa Cove, Carribeans at KeppelBay and East Coast are all losing money? Which is a good sea facing then? Pasir Ris?

No MRT means write off already? Then those at Orchard area but not exactly near the mrt better quickly sell too!

The units I saw at Marine Parade are within 5 mins walk according to my leisure walk pace, but of course teddybears take a longer time - they are heavier?

devilplate
02-11-10, 09:51
Those people mostly very rich mah, can leak for 3 generations their money also cannot finish spending. Average people can afford >$2500 psf? :p

ave ppl can afford a MM unit at robinson S at 3kpsf...haha

Geylang OKT
02-11-10, 10:05
prices are already going down. go check out the caveats for D12 FH properties

KC76
02-11-10, 10:11

Prices coming down? For which dev? Some condos like the Parc is still going up. Wonder when will we see the impact resulting from the recent policy. :doh:

devilplate
02-11-10, 10:12

u also haf biz in D12 ar?:p

Geylang OKT
02-11-10, 10:12
u also haf biz in D12 ar?:p

aiya... D12 a stone's throw away from Geylang mah :D

Geylang OKT
02-11-10, 10:14
Prices coming down? For which dev? Some condos like the Parc is still going up. Wonder when will we see the impact resulting from the recent policy. :doh:

Even if prices were to rise, they will remain muted. Nobody (even the developers) would want to go against the gahmen's determination. If you bor hiu... gahmen will just introduce more cooling measures. And they have an arsenal of them. Better kuai kuai sit and wait first :D

devilplate
02-11-10, 10:14
aiya... D12 a stone's throw away from Geylang mah :D

shift to D12 after D15 reduced to 50m? hehe

devilplate
02-11-10, 10:15
Even if prices were to rise, they will remain muted. Nobody (even the developers) would want to go against the gahmen's determination. If you bor hiu... gahmen will just introduce more cooling measures. And they have an arsenal of them. Better kuai kuai sit and wait first :D

when next GE? anytime after feb2011? after all gotten fat bonus? hehe

Geylang OKT
02-11-10, 10:23
when next GE? anytime after feb2011? after all gotten fat bonus? hehe

Stock market cheong ahhhh :D

KC76
02-11-10, 10:31

Guo ran shi OKT. Can advise when I should load my next investment condo? :D

Douk
02-11-10, 10:45

From Tanjong rhu, you can drive out to Fort Road or turn into Stadium.
no longer a one way in/out.

devilplate
02-11-10, 10:48
From Tanjong rhu, you can drive out to Fort Road or turn into Stadium.
no longer a one way in/out.

yes....the new road leading to leisure park:D

teddybear
02-11-10, 11:51
What you said not true lei, you didn't read newspaper is it? That corpthone hotel site sold by CDL at ave $2100 psf (heard range from $2000 psf to $2300 psf!)!!! That is breaking record prices in that Trevose area! You are saying CDL purposely going against gahmen's determination? :p

reuters
02-11-10, 16:49
If you have limited budget for investment, will you go for:

(A) Mid-sized unit (1,100 - 1,200sqft) located further away (Pasir Ris, Yishun)

or

(B) Small-sized studio or 1-bedder (560 - 592sqft) with huge estate space located at popular places (East Coast, Balestier)

or

(C) Tiny studio (400sqft) with small estate space but high-rise located in prime districts outskirts (Nathan, Novena)

assuming they are all Freehold and all have quality finishing?

jasonyap
02-11-10, 17:55
Forget tanjong rhu and buy double bay residence at simei. A great place to invest with high capital gain.

Good effort promoting...

http://forums.condosingapore.com/search.php?searchid=195912

art10626
02-11-10, 21:57
Thanks gwlip, will check out the tanjong rhu thread. I am obviously biased too, like having a crush like that, hahaha.

It's a private enclave and nice to stay but accessibility is limited now. Its not for you if you prefer to have an mrt at your doorstep and near a hawker center (although eating at marina golf course cafe and enjoying the view is quite nice!)

Lotsa expats here, and a big Indian community.

As for the opinion of limited price gain, I think there is an extreme spectrum of opinions on that. Personally (and like flxcat I am obviously biased) I think this area has erm decent potential.. ;) (it is good to know the government has not forgotten about this area and increased the development charge at tanjong rhu by 28% 2 months back.. even though nothings being developed here at the moment? :beats-me-man:)

But having a nice gardens by the bay at the doorstep is just nice for own stay IMO if you enjoy nature, walking and cycling in a scenic area.

Good luck in your quest just don't overstretch yourself!
(oh yeah as flxcat suggested visit the tanjong rhu thread... see if you can help guess where the mrt station will be near which condo)

Geylang OKT
02-11-10, 22:24
What you said not true lei, you didn't read newspaper is it? That corpthone hotel site sold by CDL at ave $2100 psf (heard range from $2000 psf to $2300 psf!)!!! That is breaking record prices in that Trevose area! You are saying CDL purposely going against gahmen's determination? :p

Just wait and see. Prices are trudging downwards day by day :D

mcmlxxvi
02-11-10, 23:20

or

(B) Small-sized studio or 1-bedder (560 - 592sqft) with huge estate space located at popular places (East Coast, Balestier)

or

(C) Tiny studio (400sqft) with small estate space but high-rise located in prime districts outskirts (Nathan, Novena)

Ans is obvious. C. Actually should be D - hdb flat.

scsc
02-11-10, 23:29

or

or

a bit risky now to hoot ppty anyhow...
select wisely... esp when its at all time high & garment is monitoring

most experts would likely ask u to dig up under-valued gems..
much like stocks..

reuters
02-11-10, 23:43
a bit risky now to hoot ppty anyhow...
select wisely... esp when its at all time high & garment is monitoring

most experts would likely ask u to dig up under-valued gems..
much like stocks..

What if we have the same budget, but it is for own-stay?

gohsoonk
03-11-10, 09:16
It depends on your lifestyle.

Where do you go for your weekends? Where is your workplace? Where do you do your shopping?

For me, space is important. Prefer bigger unit.

What if we have the same budget, but it is for own-stay?

blackfire
03-11-10, 10:27
Personally I do like Tanjong Rhu as it is an exclusive area with lots of greenery and water. Nice place to stay if you drive, if not, there are shuttle bus to bring you to the CBD area. Many amenities are up recently like the Kallang Leisure mall, marina golf course, MRT, restaurants and pubs at the indoor stadium and of course the upcoming garden by the bay and the sports hub. These will bring some spotlight to the area, whereas in the past TR is more or less hidden somewhere between East Coast and CBD. I reckon TR is the nearest area to the CBD which offers a lot of greenery and water features. I personally like to stay near water. The problem with TR is the prices fluctuate greatly with the market, hence only buy when the market is down.

art10626
05-11-10, 00:21
Thanks blackfire, was just wondering... does the price of TR really fluctuate greatly? I thought it was one of the more stable prices... didn't really quite catch up with the strong rebound in 2009, did it? (was looking at the URA transaction prices). That was another reason i am interested... i am wrong again? thaks!

Personally I do like Tanjong Rhu as it is an exclusive area with lots of greenery and water. Nice place to stay if you drive, if not, there are shuttle bus to bring you to the CBD area. Many amenities are up recently like the Kallang Leisure mall, marina golf course, MRT, restaurants and pubs at the indoor stadium and of course the upcoming garden by the bay and the sports hub. These will bring some spotlight to the area, whereas in the past TR is more or less hidden somewhere between East Coast and CBD. I reckon TR is the nearest area to the CBD which offers a lot of greenery and water features. I personally like to stay near water. The problem with TR is the prices fluctuate greatly with the market, hence only buy when the market is down.

art10626
05-11-10, 00:58
Apologies, just went back to frantic googling and found historic price range was between 600-1300!

Thanks blackfire, was just wondering... does the price of TR really fluctuate greatly? I thought it was one of the more stable prices... didn't really quite catch up with the strong rebound in 2009, did it? (was looking at the URA transaction prices). That was another reason i am interested... i am wrong again? thaks!

wagamama
18-11-10, 08:08
Hi yas,

Another newbie here :)

What are your takes on the 'outer' part of Tanjong Rhu where Fortredale and Waterside are?

Apparently those are FH and one of the ERL stations is rumoured to be at Katong Park which is a stone's throw away.

sufri
19-11-10, 08:11
Hi gurus! Another newbie here, since u guys are talking about TR, what do u guys think of One Fort condo? i have not been there before but might view it soon. As an investment, wat do u guys think? Room for upside? I thought the psf is not bad compared to surroudning projects.

kstan2
20-11-10, 08:35
Hi gurus! Another newbie here, since u guys are talking about TR, what do u guys think of One Fort condo? i have not been there before but might view it soon. As an investment, wat do u guys think? Room for upside? I thought the psf is not bad compared to surroudning projects.

I m no guru.. but I think One Fort location is good but it depends on which unit you are getting.. the units facing the road can be noisy as it is near the road junction.. and those facing the HDB.. well.. are facing the HDB. and if you are at the low floors.. you will be too close to the community center. So.. go high floor.. but i think the meyer area is still better.. view @ meyer, seafront @ meyer... all have better view and more exclusive

Btw, there are more land survey (drilling) at katong park.. rumour of katong park MRT station may come true...

reuters
20-11-10, 09:47

I feel that the location of One Fort is not bad but not great. It will therefore be an apartment that is quite near to a future mrt station, but not very near, quite near to an exit on the expressway, but not very near, near to stadium, but not very near, near to meyer road, but not very near, and no major shopping malls nearby either (nor is it likely for anyone to build one there). The biggest plus point of the tanjong rhu area is that questionable big plot of land after the golf course - what is it going to be? If it develops to become residential, then all these condos at tanjong rhu become relatively further away from the sea as compared with future condos built there. However, if it becomes a huge government project (say, a Singapore Disneyland and DisneySea), then the entire East Coast from TR to Siglap will be attractive.

kingkong1984
20-11-10, 10:02
Good but not very near, good but not very near.....

Geylang OKT
20-11-10, 21:28
Hi yas,

What are your takes on the 'outer' part of Tanjong Rhu where Fortredale and Waterside are?

Apparently those are FH and one of the ERL stations is rumoured to be at Katong Park which is a stone's throw away.

I can peep at you when I am dining at the SSC :D

Wild Falcon
20-11-10, 22:15
For own stay or investment? Do take not this area (Tg Rhu, Meyer etc) is dominated by Indians and very popular with the dark-skinned community. So rental yields might be quite good. I have visited some of these condos in Meyer and have never seen non-Indian in the swimming pool. Having said that, if for self-stay, some people may not be comfortable being overwhelmed by other racial groups.

Hi yas,

Geylang OKT
20-11-10, 22:29
For own stay or investment? Do take not this area (Tg Rhu, Meyer etc) is dominated by Indians and very popular with the dark-skinned community. So rental yields might be quite good. I have visited some of these condos in Meyer and have never seen non-Indian in the swimming pool. Having said that, if for self-stay, some people may not be comfortable being overwhelmed by other racial groups.

Not really. The expat dark skinned (misnomer... actually they are fairer complexioned than our local indians) community will squeeze blood from stone, especially when it comes to the rental amount. They will haggle over every cent and give sob stories or whine. Many of them are also known to damage your kitchen stove, hobs, cabinets (rot from water seepage) and oil splattered walls with their cooking. They generally do not take care of your furniture and inventory, even if they are professionals holding down good jobs with high pay. :doh:

Their mentality is such that as I am paying the rent for your house, everything here is at my disposal. Trust me, I know what I am talking about. :hell-hath-no-fury:

kstan2
20-11-10, 23:28
Famous quote: "Don't care white tenant or black tenant... can pay rent is good tenant"

Geylang OKT
21-11-10, 06:20
Let me amend your quote a liddle bit :D

Famous quote: "Don't care white tenant or black tenant... can pay high rent is good tenant"

august
21-11-10, 08:56
Let me amend your quote a liddle bit :D

Famous quote: "Don't care white tenant or black tenant... can pay high rent is good tenant"

amend a bit more..

"Don't care white tenant or black tenant... can pay high rent on time is good tenant"

reuters
21-11-10, 10:37
Actually it is very true that we need to be careful with the type of tenant especially if we want to sell it later on. Best is to have Koreans/Japanese! Higher chances of your flat being taken care of!

kingkong1984
21-11-10, 10:59
amend a bit more..

"Don't care white tenant or black tenant... can pay high rent on time is good tenant"
Amend further, Dont care white or black tenant... Can pay rent on time and without trouble with authorities is good tenant.

Condo Collector
21-11-10, 11:51
Amend further, Dont care white or black tenant... Can pay rent on time and without trouble with authorities is good tenant.

Not enough... Pay rent on time is norm.

Can pay rent on time + service air-con 4 times a year, only then can consider as good tenant.

kingkong1984
21-11-10, 12:37
Nice, a tip, look for female tenants who is a freak for everything new with sIgns of being overly obsessive with cleanliness. Revisit her after 3 months on short notice with cake. You will know whether she is a good tenant or not.

august
21-11-10, 14:11
Not enough... Pay rent on time is norm.

Can pay rent on time + service air-con 4 times a year, only then can consider as good tenant.

thot 4 times service is in the tenancy contract?
no service just deduct from rental deposit ~ hehe

Wild Falcon
21-11-10, 20:38
Nah. Not all female tenants are good tenants. I've seen a few PRCs meimei who look suspiciously like hookers living in some apartments in Telok Kurau. You never know if they will use your place for their "business".

Nice, a tip, look for female tenants who is a freak for everything new with sIgns of being overly obsessive with cleanliness. Revisit her after 3 months on short notice with cake. You will know whether she is a good tenant or not.

kingkong1984
26-11-10, 12:17
Nah. Not all female tenants are good tenants. I've seen a few PRCs meimei who look suspiciously like hookers living in some apartments in Telok Kurau. You never know if they will use your place for their "business".

Must screen them properly. May mystery shop and see if there are those kinds. Check where they work, what they do and how they pay.

Geylang OKT
26-11-10, 13:44
Could be my china mei mei. Wonder what are they doing in tanjong rhu lei? :D