PDA

View Full Version : 21-year old disgusted with Straits Times

wenqing
29-04-11, 23:59
http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/21-year-old-disgusted-with-straits-times/

21-year old disgusted with Straits Times

Dear Straits Times,

I am 21 years old. And I read your papers almost everyday. I liked reading what you offered.

Yesterday in my school’s lecture on politics, we touched on the topic of Social Movement. I never would have thought Singaporeans have the capacity for “movements” until I straddled my presence between Buangkok and Hougang MRT yesterday, in an effort to catch the rallies given by two dominant parties in Singapore.

I have to bear in mind, one is legitimately in rule, while the other have to fight on the sidelines, without the support of you and the dominant mass media networks, that is widely assumed as needs and legitimate sources in Singaporean homes.

http://theonlinecitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ScreenHunter_15-Apr.-29-14.14.gif (http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/21-year-old-disgusted-with-straits-times/screenhunter_15-apr-29-14-14/)credit: Aaron Lim

A Social Movement, indeed, was what I saw when I walked through the supporting crowd of the Workers’ Party. Never in my life in Singapore have I heard the voices of Singaporeans so clear and articulate.

Yes, I was convinced that Singaporeans are talking. You should stop having this mindset that Singaporeans are apathetic. In case you still didn’t know it, I am informing you now. Go write about it.

The Singaporeans want to be heard. But I guess you won’t. Because what Singaporeans are saying is what you dismiss as just a rowdy bunch of comments from a rowdy bunch of “uninformed and ignorant” Singaporeans – who didn’t know what the PAP had been doing for them.

Mind you, your dismissal of their valuable comments make you yourself ignorant of what the united voice of Singaporeans are speaking.

At this point, I admit, you do look stupid. You sound a tat-bit senile to the massive crowd at the Workers’ Party rally, where you took a photograph of and placed in page A8.

Every head you captured has a brain attached, and those brains must be thinking: Is that all you got out of the Workers’ Party rally?

It is such an unmoving piece, from a moving social movement.

It is not purely emotional as you claimed on the front page. There was some substance, if you were to observe and listen more. I juxtaposed your PAP coverage on page A4 with it, and I see so much more of your enthusiasm, in covering the uncalled-for responses of the wives of contesting MPs.

Honestly, what you covered on voices of the wives in the PAP rally are nothing - kosong – as compared to what you had missed out in covering the voices of the citizens in the WP rally.

You didn’t cover how the PAP “crowd” was made up mostly of its own white-shirted people, who are somehow related to the people standing on stage. Almost none of the non-PAP Singaporeans who were there gave a “Majulah Singapura” roar when called to.

And yet, you covered an MP wife’s comment that the crowd at PAP’s “responded to him… the response seems good.” Wait till you hear the comments at the Workers’ Party side! But wait… it was not covered.

When I read your coverage of the Worker’s Party rally, much of what I had just read was just another bunch of skewed words, based on the ideology of the PAP which defines what constitutes a “clean and fair fight”, and what does not.

PAP calls the shots all the time. No wonder PAP says in Buangkok: “Where were the opposition parties for the past 10 years? They only come out during the elections, wanting you to vote for them.”

Have PAP even given the opposition a chance to serve? Come on. They don’t even have the means to.

Give them a break. Stop giving them double-standards. I find myself reading in mounting degrees of disgust as I flipped through the papers I spent 90 cents on.

I want to ask your journalists: What kind of education have they gone through? Have they been so PAP-brain-washed that they cannot even write a proper close-to-objective article without hinting the PAP manifesto?

It’s sad that even the people’s papers, whose purpose was supposedly to report the truths as they were, went into their fair share of politics. I send my condolences to you, my dear Straits Times.

I am not pro-opposition. I stand as a citizen trying to make a decision in this elections which side I will be on.

But I am saying that Straits Times, you should start waking up and write what citizens deserve to hear.

Maybe you had been driving the vehicle too long and have become complacent too? Yours shouldn’t be a bunch of politically correct words. You should report truth, as it is. Uninterrupted.

This way, we will eliminate the possibility that PAP is playing dirty, with you.

Yours Faithfully,

Wong Pei Ting

--
The Online Citizen
20 Maxwell Road #09-17
Maxwell House
Singapore 069113

marktkt22
30-04-11, 00:19
Go read today forum, all bashing wp in ajunied,full page, all support pap.
It so blatantly bootlickg
They may control the media, under report every opposition
Over report the miw, with all the trival
But we got internet, there no way and no where to hide now.

Geylang OKT
30-04-11, 00:21
Go read today forum, all bashing wp in ajunied,full page, all support pap.
It so blatantly bootlickg
They may control the media, under report every opposition
Over report the miw, with all the trival
But we got internet, there no way and no where to hide now.

Too many opposition clones on the Net :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

devilplate
30-04-11, 00:28
vote for the hardworking CLONES!!!:D

Regulators
30-04-11, 02:23
Better than all the lackeys and bootlickers of MIW which the entire Singapore is sick of :doh: :doh:

Too many opposition clones on the Net :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

kingkong1984
30-04-11, 04:50
Egh, no perfect govt in the world leh.

It's what the majority supports that matter.

WP rally very crowded but when it comes to GE, not voted in. AMK in last GE.

wenqing
30-04-11, 06:27
Egh, no perfect govt in the world leh.

It's what the majority supports that matter.

When PAP was debating Ministers Pay Increase in Parliament = Government is Perfect

When PAP make mistakes = No perfect government in the world.

It is a lame excuse.

GE 2006, at AMK, WP sent a newbie young team and got 35% of votes against PM Lee's team.

PM Lee was MP of Ang Mo Kio for 20 odd years but still won slightly against a newbie team. It was embarassing for him.

wenqing
30-04-11, 06:31
http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/04/paps-lui-tuck-yew-reeks-of-arrogance.html

PAP's Lui Tuck Yew Reeks of Arrogance and Stupidity

Even after we nailed him (http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/04/paps-lui-tuck-yew-not-connecting-with.html) 400,000 times, Mr Miyagi nailed him (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/mp-visit-condo-102111528.html), PAP's Lui Tuck Yew is still not humbled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=67hZVnc7QxM

Why on earth do people listen to Lui Tuck Yew?

The amount of Stupid and Lies that spew forth out of that trap of PAP regime is so unbelievable at time, it almost seems like an act. Unfortunately it’s real life for Lui Tuck Yew, here are some examples:

"When I bought my HDB flat in 1986, after living in a rental flat for 25 years, it was S$110,000. Nine years after that, in the mid-90's, I sold it for close to about S$400,000.

The people of my generation who invested in HDB flats benefited, and the only reason we did so is because we had a strong and stable government that led us forward day by day, month by month, and year by year."

Mr Lui, how about all the housing loans that eat up all our CPF funds (http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/04/pap-will-help-you-eat-up-all-your-cpf.html)?

"The villagers asked, 'Are these mushrooms any good? They are so pretty. Shall we remove some of these tall trees and allow the wild mushrooms to grow?'

And so the wise old man told them that these mushrooms may look pretty but some of them are poisonous, and 'if you associate too closely with them, these wild mushrooms will weaken us, stunt our growth, and retard our development. Leave them alone, protect the trees, these trees are special trees'."

Lui's stupidity is so epic.

Geylang OKT
30-04-11, 07:21
Fearmongering :D :D :D

http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/04/paps-lui-tuck-yew-reeks-of-arrogance.html

PAP's Lui Tuck Yew Reeks of Arrogance and Stupidity

Even after we nailed him (http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/04/paps-lui-tuck-yew-not-connecting-with.html) 400,000 times, Mr Miyagi nailed him (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/mp-visit-condo-102111528.html), PAP's Lui Tuck Yew is still not humbled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=67hZVnc7QxM

Why on earth do people listen to Lui Tuck Yew?

The amount of Stupid and Lies that spew forth out of that trap of PAP regime is so unbelievable at time, it almost seems like an act. Unfortunately it’s real life for Lui Tuck Yew, here are some examples:

"When I bought my HDB flat in 1986, after living in a rental flat for 25 years, it was S$110,000. Nine years after that, in the mid-90's, I sold it for close to about S$400,000.

The people of my generation who invested in HDB flats benefited, and the only reason we did so is because we had a strong and stable government that led us forward day by day, month by month, and year by year."

Mr Lui, how about all the housing loans that eat up all our CPF funds (http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/04/pap-will-help-you-eat-up-all-your-cpf.html)?

"The villagers asked, 'Are these mushrooms any good? They are so pretty. Shall we remove some of these tall trees and allow the wild mushrooms to grow?'

And so the wise old man told them that these mushrooms may look pretty but some of them are poisonous, and 'if you associate too closely with them, these wild mushrooms will weaken us, stunt our growth, and retard our development. Leave them alone, protect the trees, these trees are special trees'."

Lui's stupidity is so epic.

Geylang OKT
30-04-11, 07:24
Better than all the lackeys and bootlickers of MIW which the entire Singapore is sick of :doh: :doh:

Vote Opposition! Vote for lower property prices! :D :D :D

ysyap
30-04-11, 07:37
When PAP was debating Ministers Pay Increase in Parliament = Government is Perfect

It is a lame excuse.

GE 2006, at AMK, WP sent a newbie young team and got 35% of votes against PM Lee's team.

PM Lee was MP of Ang Mo Kio for 20 odd years but still won slightly against a newbie team. It was embarassing for him.And PM said 66.6% is a good result....

azeoprop
30-04-11, 08:24
Their worst ever result was the 1991 election were they lost 4 seats to opposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporean_general_election,_1991

At a post-election press conference on the night of 31 August, PM Goh glumly attributed the loss to his "open and consultative style of government" and pledged to re-evaluate his style.

Hrmmm....:beats-me-man:

devilplate
30-04-11, 08:53
can anyone dig out any news about potong pasir and the MRT story in the 80s?

kingkong1984
30-04-11, 09:34

It is a lame excuse.

PM Lee was MP of Ang Mo Kio for 20 odd years but still won slightly against a newbie team. It was embarassing for him.
I not PAP also. Just making a motherhood statement.

No house is perfect

No husband is perfect

No wife is perfect

No car is perfect

No agent is perfect

U tell me which part of my "no govt is perfect" is wrong?

U do what u think it's right will do. Nobody force u to do stupid things.
:D

DC33_2008
30-04-11, 09:37
I understand that some people during early 1960s that pro-white was arrested at night for infringing the ISA. As I say in my another post that when CST won at Potong Pasir, there is no garbage collector at sennett estate for a few days. A lot of the people working in Town council such as chairman, manager, etc, are in the white-team member. Understand why LowTK mentioned yesterday that he will want control of town council.
can anyone dig out any news about potong pasir and the MRT story in the 80s?

Regulators
30-04-11, 10:07
Market forces determine our property prices, not pap. Just ask yourself if pap could save property prices during the 2008/9 crisis? our private property prices dependent on market forces, only public housing is of concern to opposition. Next time think
Vote Opposition! Vote for lower property prices! :D :D :D

devilplate
30-04-11, 10:17
I understand that some people during early 1960s that pro-white was arrested at night for infringing the ISA. As I say in my another post that when CST won at Potong Pasir, there is no garbage collector at sennett estate for a few days. A lot of the people working in Town council such as chairman, manager, etc, are in the white-team member. Understand why LowTK mentioned yesterday that he will want control of town council.
So u mean tat potong pasir nearly didnt get a mrt for their estate?

Geylang OKT
30-04-11, 10:22
Market forces determine our property prices, not pap. Just ask yourself if pap could save property prices during the 2008/9 crisis? our private property prices dependent on market forces, only public housing is of concern to opposition. Next time think

Yes, market forces do determine our property prices. If the economy turns bad, property prices do and will drop. But opposition held wards like hougang and potong pasir will drop even much more.

Just ask yourself why hougang and potong pasir housing prices are way below the rest of the PAP held wards. This is supported by transacted prices as evidence. You can also go check out the transacted prices for evidence. I am not always going to do the homework for you. ;)

Next time think. :D :D :D

Geylang OKT
30-04-11, 10:28
So u mean tat potong pasir nearly didnt get a mrt for their estate?

The PAP says.... If you donch vote for me, why should I let you share the fruits of my labour? :D :D :D

Regulators
30-04-11, 11:33
d13 pricing for private property you call it low? find me a brand new freehold two bedrm condo near mrt in d13 for less than 1k psf and I will say it is cheap. Ask yourself if prices drop to below $900psf for potong pasir, do you think the unit will be around for more than a week for you to talk about it? Why not talk about geylang, hasn't it been a pap ward for donkey years but look at the prices. Likewise certain parts of d11 near balestier far far cheaper than those near novena. Property is all about location and market forces, nothing to do with opposition ward or not
Yes, market forces do determine our property prices. If the economy turns bad, property prices do and will drop. But opposition held wards like hougang and potong pasir will drop even much more.

Just ask yourself why hougang and potong pasir housing prices are way below the rest of the PAP held wards. This is supported by transacted prices as evidence. You can also go check out the transacted prices for evidence. I am not always going to do the homework for you. ;)

Regulators
30-04-11, 11:37
If pap can say this kind of thing, do they really care for all singaporeans or just their own interest. You have said it for all the opposition supporters here, pap put their self interest above the people which is why we must vote opposition to spk up for us in parliament. As chen show mao says, when you vote, use your head
The PAP says.... If you donch vote for me, why should I let you share the fruits of my labour? :D :D :D

devilplate
30-04-11, 13:06
If pap can say this kind of thing, do they really care for all singaporeans or just their own interest. You have said it for all the opposition supporters here, pap put their self interest above the people which is why we must vote opposition to spk up for us in parliament. As chen show mao says, when you vote, use your head

i use my head tats y not convince to vote for opp.....

irrationally i will vote for OPP!!!

1st world parliament.....immediately feel tat i am a 1st world citizen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

taggy
30-04-11, 14:56

yesterday purposely drove pass serangoon stadium, the crowd is really really scarily big, is like pack until spill outside the stadium, dun noe how will the turn out be today for George Yeo at some venue.

skeptikos
30-04-11, 15:02

There is obviously something wrong in this thinking. Isn't the "labour" of the PAP funded by taxes paid by every Singaporeans? If so, this is the people's money and so should be use to benefit as many Singaporeans as possible.

PAP is simply wrong to politicise benefit enhancing activities (e.g. building MRT, upgrading HDB estates) by telling Singaporeans if you don't vote for PAP you won't get these "fruits". To me, it's saying this is the PAP's money and can only be used for PAP's cause.

Instead, it should be money used by the government for the benefit of all Singaporeans.

Please do not confuse PAP with the government. The government was PAP (before Parliament dissolved) but PAP is not the government. It is just a political party which started as an opposition party as well with no track record to speak of. We vote in the party to become government. And so the party must govern for the interest of all Singaporeans.

The statement "If you don't vote for me, why should I let you share the fruits of my labour?" is simply wrong and confuses the thinking that government should act for the interest of its people (more MRTs, better HDBs) vs. PAP acting for the interest of its voters (which they cannot and should not use public funds to do so).

DC33_2008
30-04-11, 15:27
They are in their comfort zone for so long that they naturally think the zone belongs to them.
There is obviously something wrong in this thinking. Isn't the "labour" of the PAP funded by taxes paid by every Singaporeans? If so, this is the people's money and so should be use to benefit as many Singaporeans as possible.

PAP is simply wrong to politicise benefit enhancing activities (e.g. building MRT, upgrading HDB estates) by telling Singaporeans if you don't vote for PAP you won't get these "fruits". To me, it's saying this is the PAP's money and can only be used for PAP's cause.

Instead, it should be money used by the government for the benefit of all Singaporeans.

Please do not confuse PAP with the government. The government was PAP (before Parliament dissolved) but PAP is not the government. It is just a political party which started as an opposition party as well with no track record to speak of. We vote in the party to become government. And so the party must govern for the interest of all Singaporeans.

The statement "If you don't vote for me, why should I let you share the fruits of my labour?" is simply wrong and confuses the thinking that government should act for the interest of its people (more MRTs, better HDBs) vs. PAP acting for the interest of its voters (which they cannot and should not use public funds to do so).

ysyap
30-04-11, 16:08
They are in their comfort zone for so long that they naturally think the zone belongs to them.This election will be a wake up call for them... :D

devilplate
30-04-11, 16:20
This election will be a wake up call for them... :D

yeah...tats the whole idea of the election!

ERECT the OPP! hehe

DC33_2008
30-04-11, 16:22
This is especially so in a one-sided parliament.
yeah...tats the whole idea of the election!

ERECT the OPP! hehe

wenqing
30-04-11, 21:55

Every elections, PAP compare property prices between Opposition and PAP areas but this tactic did not work as seen by the elections results at Opposition areas for past 27 and 20 years.

This is because Singaporeans are smarter than fearmongering and threats.

Location of property determinds the price, not politics.

When a run down 4 room 40 years old flat at Bras Basah can sell for $650,000, you know location determinds everything and prices are crazy.

Please show some data to back up your statement. We had gone through this debate in previous thread.

Property websites had shown Opposition areas property price are as high as PAP areas in same vicinities.

Opposition property values are even higher than PAP areas in different vicinities.

Property websites had proved your statements to be untrue and whatever you say now has no credibility anymore.

PAP are doing their usual election fearmongering and threats again thats all.

PAP no longer win votes by earning voters trust and voters affection using their ability.

If you observe, PAP is using more threats and fearmongering as before.

PAP hardly talk about Singapore policies and plans for next 5 years to win votes.

The vote will have little value if Singaporeans need to vote thinking about property value only.

It will be very sad.

If invasion happens, enemy promises not to hurt property value and property, will Singaporeans also surrender and switch sides ?

Really sad.

Geylang OKT
01-05-11, 00:05
Fear-mongering :D :D :D

Every elections, PAP compare property prices between Opposition and PAP areas but this tactic did not work as seen by the elections results at Opposition areas for past 27 and 20 years.

This is because Singaporeans are smarter than fearmongering and threats.

Location of property determinds the price, not politics.

When a run down 4 room 40 years old flat at Bras Basah can sell for $650,000, you know location determinds everything and prices are crazy.

Please show some data to back up your statement. We had gone through this debate in previous thread.

Property websites had shown Opposition areas property price are as high as PAP areas in same vicinities.

Opposition property values are even higher than PAP areas in different vicinities.

Property websites had proved your statements to be untrue and whatever you say now has no credibility anymore.

PAP are doing their usual election fearmongering and threats again thats all.

PAP no longer win votes by earning voters trust and voters affection using their ability.

If you observe, PAP is using more threats and fearmongering as before.

PAP hardly talk about Singapore policies and plans for next 5 years to win votes.

The vote will have little value if Singaporeans need to vote thinking about property value only.

It will be very sad.

If invasion happens, enemy promises not to hurt property value and property, will Singaporeans also surrender and switch sides ?

Really sad.

Geylang OKT
01-05-11, 00:08
i use my head tats y not convince to vote for opp.....

irrationally i will vote for OPP!!!

1st world parliament.....immediately feel tat i am a 1st world citizen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

1st world parliament, where co-driver slaps the driver. More like Taiwan parliament indeed! :tongue3: :D ;)

romeo
01-05-11, 01:06
1st world parliament, where co-driver slaps the driver. More like Taiwan parliament indeed! :tongue3: :D ;)

i rather see our mps rough it out in the parliament in heated debate to stand by their policies than having them absent, backbench, snoozing n say yes to everything, esp big YES to their ridiculous salary increase.. everything but increasing $30 for the real needy

devilplate
01-05-11, 01:13
i rather see our mps rough it out in the parliament in heated debate to stand by their policies than having them absent, backbench, snoozing n say yes to everything, esp big YES to their ridiculous salary increase.. everything but increasing $30 for the real needy

u just sold all ur ppty?:D

Geylang OKT
01-05-11, 01:15

For a 1st world parliament, I donch think you should be going around slapping folks whom you donch agree with :D

wenqing
01-05-11, 01:21
For a 1st world parliament, I donch think you should be going around slapping folks whom you donch agree with :D

You took it too literally.

When a driver is sleeping on the job, if you do not do something to wake him up, then wait for vehicle to crash ?

devilplate
01-05-11, 01:26
You took it too literally.

When a driver is sleeping on the job, if you do not do something to wake him up, then wait for vehicle to crash ?

u r damn hilarious...:D

Geylang OKT
01-05-11, 01:29

yup.... really hilarious indeed :D

Regulators
01-05-11, 03:48
Maybe when PAP slaps you with higher cost of living/high taxes, bulldoze more ridiculous laws against property investors and turn singapore into a foreigner country and alienate your rights further then you and Geylang OKT can hug each other and laugh hilariously at each other :D

romeo
01-05-11, 04:30
as it is, there r only 57% singaporeans in our population.. our fear of becoming a minority may become real very soon..:(

devilplate
01-05-11, 09:00
Maybe when PAP slaps you with higher cost of living/high taxes, bulldoze more ridiculous laws against property investors and turn singapore into a foreigner country and alienate your rights further then you and Geylang OKT can hug each other and laugh hilariously at each other :D

laugh better den cry rite?:tongue3:

devilplate
01-05-11, 09:01
as it is, there r only 57% singaporeans in our population.. our fear of becoming a minority may become real very soon..:(

i tot ard 64%....drop to 57% liao?!?!:scared-1:

wenqing
01-05-11, 09:24

It will drop to 40% 5 years later.

We are talking about natural born Singaporeans.

There are many foreigners who took part in grassroots and became citizens in 2-3 years.

Many of these new citizens are voting this election.

Express citizenship.

devilplate
01-05-11, 09:26

wenqing....do u sleep at all?:scared-3:

relax...take a break:)

wenqing
01-05-11, 09:29

LOL

You read about NSP's Goh Meng Seng whose elder brother died of heart attack after putting up 300 posters in one night for Opposition cause ?

Chiam See Tong had stroke but still decided to push for Opposition cause.

Like I say all of us have part to play.

devilplate
01-05-11, 09:37
LOL

You read about NSP's Goh Meng Seng whose elder brother died of heart attack after putting up 300 posters in one night for Opposition cause ?

clap clap:cheers6:

DC33_2008
01-05-11, 16:30
All Singaporean should be happy to have you. :)
LOL

romeo
02-05-11, 04:30

to add to this, pap say that the way to combat rising cost is to grow the economy..
mm lee say we still need 900,000 FTs..
its a no-brainer.. we know where this is heading..

Geylang OKT
02-05-11, 07:50

Several opposition supporters take turns to post under the account of wenqing lah. It is a coordinated effort to lower down the property prices in Singapore :D

ysyap
02-05-11, 07:58
Wenqing's passion is unmatched here. Initially he was trying the understand forum posting so met with some hiccups but now he's just passionate about making the people aware that which is not in ST or CNA (so inevitably its biased against PAP since the 2 mediums are for PAP??? ). :spliff:

ysyap
02-05-11, 08:00
to add to this, pap say that the way to combat rising cost is to grow the economy..
mm lee say we still need 900,000 FTs..
its a no-brainer.. we know where this is heading..So when PAP is voted in, FT will continue to infiltrate our lands? Did someone mention that there are already about 2 million foreigners in our shores already? With another 1 million, there'll be 3 mil, which is 50% of our population le. So can we still call ourselves Singapore? What is Singapore's identity then? :scared-3:

wenqing
02-05-11, 08:04
So when PAP is voted in, FT will continue to infiltrate our lands? Did someone mention that there are already about 2 million foreigners in our shores already? With another 1 million, there'll be 3 mil, which is 50% of our population le. So can we still call ourselves Singapore? What is Singapore's identity then? :scared-3:

This is what elections is for.

You have a choice.

You either vote for or vote against past , present and future policies.

devilplate
02-05-11, 09:09
So when PAP is voted in, FT will continue to infiltrate our lands? Did someone mention that there are already about 2 million foreigners in our shores already? With another 1 million, there'll be 3 mil, which is 50% of our population le. So can we still call ourselves Singapore? What is Singapore's identity then? :scared-3:

build towards super multi racial society!:D

devilplate
02-05-11, 09:10
Wenqing's passion is unmatched here. Initially he was trying the understand forum posting so met with some hiccups but now he's just passionate about making the people aware that which is not in ST or CNA (so inevitably its biased against PAP since the 2 mediums are for PAP??? ). :spliff:

an outlet to vent all his accumulated anger and frustration is good b4 he become a IMH patient:D

kurby
02-05-11, 11:43
How do we reconcile the fact that with so many foreigners, unemployment rate is at a low of 1.9%? So are foreigners really taking away our jobs or are they really needed to support the economy?

devilplate
02-05-11, 11:47
How do we reconcile the fact that with so many foreigners, unemployment rate is at a low of 1.9%? So are foreigners really taking away our jobs or are they really needed to support the economy?

in SG, jobs r looking for fresh grad.....many cant deny the fact tat its so so easy to get a job now

but ppl r not satisfied....they want better jobs....higher salary....tats the problem...

remember wat DPM says about $100 and $20......impossible to please every1 especially they just increase their pay by 30%:doh:

teddybear
02-05-11, 11:58
What is the problem with that? As long as they convert to citizens and give up their other citizenship, I have no issue with that.
I have no problems with foreigners coming here to study, live and work as long as they contribute to the growth of Singapore.

The most important things are:
1) Singapore's economy continue to do well
2) citizens got good jobs and living happily with no worry on housing, job security and money for a living.
3) Citizens have privelege and priorities over foreigners (foreigners include PRs, let's have no mistake about this. Some politicians conveniently like to say create jobs for "Singaporeans" when they mean also include PRs, and if their contribution is to create jobs for PRs, then ask their PRs to vote for them :p ) - E.g. Why should PRs kids be eligible for P1 registration just like citizens? Current scheme for balloting priority is just not enough. They should create phase 3A for PR and phase 3B for foreigners. No Phase 1 & 2 should not be eligible for PRs regardless of whether they are grassroots, parent volunteers or not!

We are talking about natural born Singaporeans.

There are many foreigners who took part in grassroots and became citizens in 2-3 years.

Many of these new citizens are voting this election.

Express citizenship.

DC33_2008
02-05-11, 18:34
The amount of hardwork and stress that they gone through since Pre-school has produced young graduates who want more. Starting salary of $2500 does not interest them as they cannot get much with this. They drink at coffee bean/starbuck and not corner coffee shop. They are not easily satisfied.
in SG, jobs r looking for fresh grad.....many cant deny the fact tat its so so easy to get a job now

but ppl r not satisfied....they want better jobs....higher salary....tats the problem...

remember wat DPM says about $100 and $20......impossible to please every1 especially they just increase their pay by 30%:doh:

romeo
02-05-11, 19:16

Dun need to wait till then, even now, if u feel stress from work n need to go for holidays, u can save up the $$, just take bus or mrt, u already feel u r in another country..:doh:

romeo
02-05-11, 19:19
aiya, who knew pap's policy of Stop-At-Two was an instant hit?!? never was a policy so successful that it comes back to haunt us.. leading to now..

sh
02-05-11, 21:35
What is the problem with that? As long as they convert to citizens and give up their other citizenship, I have no issue with that.
I have no problems with foreigners coming here to study, live and work as long as they contribute to the growth of Singapore.

2) citizens got good jobs and living happily with no worry on housing, job security and money for a living.
3) Citizens have privelege and priorities over foreigners (foreigners include PRs, let's have no mistake about this. Some politicians conveniently like to say create jobs for "Singaporeans" when they mean also include PRs, and if their contribution is to create jobs for PRs, then ask their PRs to vote for them :p ) - E.g. Why should PRs kids be eligible for P1 registration just like citizens? Current scheme for balloting priority is just not enough. They should create phase 3A for PR and phase 3B for foreigners. No Phase 1 & 2 should not be eligible for PRs regardless of whether they are grassroots, parent volunteers or not!

Hey! This is a property forum, most of us have properties for rental... We have properties for rental. We welcome foreign talent to rent our property:D

wenqing
02-05-11, 21:42

Well I guess when young Singaporeans do NS, it is a different ideology altogether.

http://singaporesportsfan.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/a-reminder-of-the-value-of-my-passport-in-singapore-sports/

The report:
This report appeared in today’s edition of The Straits Times:

Zhang ‘sacked’ by SBA
(The Straits Times, 24 Mar 2011)

By Jonathan Wong

NATIONAL shuttler Zhang Beiwen has paid the price for her string of disciplinary problems.

The 20-year-old, who has been serving a suspension since Jan 5 – the second time in six months the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) has punished her – was informed by the association that her contract, which expires next Thursday, will not be extended.

‘It was not renewed,’ Zhang confirmed to The Straits Times last night. ‘I have a lot of thoughts about this decision but I don’t want to talk about it… There’s no use talking about it.’

Officials at the SBA declined to comment when contacted yesterday.
Zhang’s latest punishment arose after an alleged falling-out with singles chief coach Luan Ching, who felt that she had again defied his orders by breaking curfew over the New Year period.

Described in the past as a ‘problematic player’, Zhang was subsequently dropped from the national squad and barred from all training sessions since the start of the year.

Last May, she had received a three-month suspension without pay for displaying a poor attitude in training and tournaments, and for failing to carry out instructions from her coach.

The China-born Zhang came to Singapore in 2003 under the Foreign Sports Talent scheme and took up citizenship in 2007 when she was part of the Singapore squad that clinched a team bronze at the World Youth Championships.

But in April 2008, she walked out on the national team to play for various clubs in countries like Malaysia and Taiwan.

She was eventually persuaded to return seven months later and made her South-east Asia Games debut in December 2009, helping Singapore to a team bronze medal.

Once the country’s highest-ranked women’s singles player at world No. 28 last year, she was a notable absentee from the Republic’s team sheet at both the Malaysian Open and Korea Open in January and also the prestigious All-England Championships earlier this month.

Her ranking, however, has since dropped to No. 74, making her the lowest-ranked shuttler in the SBA stable that include compatriots Gu Juan (No.32), Fu Mingtian (42), Chen Jiayuan (48) and Xing Aiying (59).

But her ability on the badminton courts is unquestioned. At the Hong Kong Open last December, her last competitive outing, she took a set off then-world No. 1 Wang Xin of China before losing in three games.

While her chequered past has been well documented, Zhang’s future remains murky. When asked if she intends to stay in Singapore or return to China, she was again evasive.

‘I’m still thinking about it, nothing is confirmed yet,’ she said.

My thoughts:
What are the chances of the sacked Zhang Beiwen going back to China?

Very high, I suspect, especially if she does not have any other academic or coaching qualifications to help her to make a living in Singapore.

And when she does, another red Singapore passport will be thrown into a rubbish bin because the athlete no longer has a need for it.

I am not blaming Zhang in this instance. If she has no family here, she will have no choice but to leave.

Her case reminds me of how throwers Du Xianhui and Zhang Guirong had to leave Singapore for China in 2006 after being dropped by the Singapore Athletics Association.

But in the past decade, we have also witnessed other FSTs who left Singapore on their own accord soon after getting their citizenship.

Three immediately spring to mind:

* Zhang Xueling (table tennis), who became a citizen in 2001 but left in 2007 to get married in China after winning a string of Commonwealth and SEA Games titles;

* thrower Dong Enxin who went AWOL in 2007 after getting his citizenship in 2001; and

* Xiao Luxi (badminton) who quit in 2004, a year after getting her citizenship, to go back to China because she was burnt out.

And what about the six hockey players from China who were recruited for the national women’s team back in the early years of the new millennium? I hear most have since returned to their country of birth after things did not pan out.

And I am sure there will be more examples to come in the coming years.

Bottom line: this is what the blessed Foreign Sports Talent scheme has effectively reduced our Singapore citizenship to — a cheap bauble easily given away to foreign-born athletes, most of whom, in turn, will easily cast it aside when they no longer have any use for it.

My deepest thanks to all these national sports associations who actively recruit foreign-born athletes to fill their national squads, for helping me to realise just how cheap my citizenship can be.

I am grateful, really I am.

Yours in sport

Singapore Sports Fan

wenqing
02-05-11, 21:45
http://www.economist.com/node/14859345

Singapore and immigration

A PR problem
Immigration becomes the hot political issue in a model city-state

AT CHINA’s 60th anniversary bash last month, Zhang Yuanyuan, a China-born, permanent resident of Singapore, was caught on camera professing her love for her native country.

The clip caused a storm in the island state; it was the latest sign of resentment towards incomers and evidence that immigration is becoming the city-state’s dominant political issue.

Faced with an ageing population and low fertility, Singapore’s government has long courted foreigners to plug gaps in the workforce.

In 1990, citizens made up 86% of Singapore’s 3m people. Today, the share is 64% of 5m-odd. More than one in three people are foreigners (permanent residents, known as PRs, and non-residents).

In the past, immigrants were concentrated at the top or bottom of the jobs ladder, performing work that Singaporeans could not or did not want to do.

Today, foreigners compete on almost every rung. Some, like geneticists, bring in useful skills. Others—it is feared—displace local skills and depress wages at the bottom.