PDA

View Full Version : WKS AND MBT are OUT!

kellogs
18-05-11, 17:06
http://blogs.todayonline.com/singaporevotes/2011/05/18/pm-lees-new-cabinet/

PM Lee Hsien Loong announced his new Cabinet in a press conference today. 11 of the 14 ministries will have a new minister in charge. The new Cabinet will see 9 ministers stepping down from the previous team. Here’s the full list:

Teo Chee Hean – Deputy Prime Minister, coordinating Minister for National Security and Minister for Home Affairs
Tharman Shanmugaratnam – Deputy Prime Minister, Minister for Finance and Minister for Manpower
Lim Hng Kiang – Minister for Trade and Industry (no change)
Lim Swee Say – Minister in Prime Minister’s Office (no change)
Yaacob Ibrahim – Minister for Information, Communication and the Arts
Khaw Boon Wan – Minister for National Development
Ng Eng Hen – Minister for Defence
Vivian Balakrishnan – Minister for Environment and Water Resources
K Shanmugam – Minister for Foreign Affairs and Minister for Law
Gan Kim Yong – Minister for Health
Lui Tuck Yew – Minister for transport and Second Minister for Foreign Affairs
S Iswaran – Minister in Prime Minister’s Office, Second Minister for Home Affairs, Second Minister for Trade and Industry
Heng Swee Keat – Minister for Education
Chan Chun Sing – Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, Minister of State for Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts
Wong Kan Seng, Mah Bow Tan and Raymond Lim to step down from Cabinet, along with Goh Chok Tong and Lee Kuan Yew.

Geylang OKT
18-05-11, 17:22
With MBT out, how will HDB fare in future? :D :D :D

Regulators
18-05-11, 17:37
I think MBT and WKS is long long overdue liao. The question now is when are they going to remove the freaking SSD

maisonjai
18-05-11, 17:52
I am curious to know why KBW volunteered for MND. :confused:

devilplate
18-05-11, 17:55
I think MBT and WKS is long long overdue liao. The question now is when are they going to remove the freaking SSD
I tink more ssd coming instead

Now tat hell minister takeover liao:scared-3:

We got 5yrs to repent!:scared-1:

devilplate
18-05-11, 17:56
To make us repent for the nxt 5yrs!:scared-1:

avo7007
18-05-11, 17:57

Are you kidding. When is the next big cooling measure should be the question.:) I see big changes to our housing policy..........:scared-4:

ay123
18-05-11, 17:57

he kana arrow lah. don know he need 2nd bypass after new role?

maisonjai
18-05-11, 18:16
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1129632/1/.html
CNA
Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan will become National Development Minister, a portfolio he volunteered for.

i hope he don't start $8 thingy :scared-3:
Those buyers who committed high psf may have to go for bypass after this :scared-1:

jwong71
18-05-11, 18:37
well the ge votes dont get them out, but serve as a warning to their paymaster. :cheers1:

resulted in lower % votes, and to get the sack.

amk
18-05-11, 18:52
I tink more ssd coming instead

Now tat hell minister takeover liao:scared-3:

We got 5yrs to repent!:scared-1:

Measures to be considered, aka 1996 style:

Capital gain tax
NO cpf use for pty (start with downpayment, phase out monthly installment)
NO 2nd SGD loan for foreigners and PRs
NO HDB for PRs

As a counter method, remove SSD ;)

"we listen to your complaints. HDB price will be brought down immediately"

ysyap
18-05-11, 19:06
KBW said health is not cheap but it is affordable... will he say the same for HDB and private property also??? :scared-4:

ysyap
18-05-11, 19:11
So many new MPs become ministers.. what about TPL??? :D

jwong71
18-05-11, 19:12
KBW said health is not cheap but it is affordable... will he say the same for HDB and private property also??? :scared-4:

if KBW know MBT is sacked becos of "affordable" prices claimed..

KBW can try,and see if he will ended up like MBT..

or he should do better than MBT.?

ysyap
18-05-11, 19:16
if KBW know MBT is sacked becos of "affordable" prices claimed..

KBW can try,and see if he will ended up like MBT..

or he should do better than MBT.?I got a bad feeling... since KBW volunteered for this portfolio, he probably has something up his sleeve... the property market eagerly awaits his reaction... Hmm...

proper-t
18-05-11, 19:20
Can use medisave to buy HDB????

wilander
18-05-11, 20:01

Because he wants to build HDBs in JB and Batam? :D

McKinnon
18-05-11, 20:24
just give more ah gong grant to 1st time buying couples la..

this will encourage more couples to settle down and procreate, and also move from the kpkb group to the bullish group. :D

DC33_2008
18-05-11, 20:40
Just applies the mean test to the people buying HDB flats.

acidic.straw
18-05-11, 20:47
just give more ah gong grant to 1st time buying couples la..

this will encourage more couples to settle down and procreate, and also move from the kpkb group to the bullish group. :D

Couple pregnant with child shall get housing 1st priority...additional discounts for 2nd 3rd 4th child. Kill 2 birds - lower housing cost & solve popn prob :D :D

McKinnon
18-05-11, 20:58
pwah u solid ahh.. go up bus 1st then buy ticket later ah..

i agree, dunnid simi increase income ceiling, karkar hoot more cash grant, but MOP 7 years. dunnid give simi grant in cpf, coz its the cash part that is siong for new families.

Couple pregnant with child shall get housing 1st priority...additional discounts for 2nd 3rd 4th child. Kill 2 birds - lower housing cost & solve popn prob :D :D

art10626
18-05-11, 21:01
Find the move surprisingly bold... the three ministers are not as popular as the other ministers... seems like gahmen is giving an ear to the people and listening to their complaints... and one major theme had be housing affordability. with recent sales numbers, looks like we are in for a ride

I am Bear by nature : )

sh
18-05-11, 21:08
Has LHL been reading this forum?:scared-3:

See... so much complaining about WKS and MBT here.... cost them their job....:tsk-tsk:

Now got new minister..... interesting to see what happens next:scared-5:

devilplate
18-05-11, 21:14
Housing grant shd b tiered to income n age group as well....marry earlier get more grant;) can help to boost birth rates;)

DC33_2008
18-05-11, 21:16
KhawBH and Vivien could be the next two in the list of most unpopular ministers in the cabinet. They are safe as they do could not cut anymore. TeoSL must be rather upset with MG parachuting in.

joelx
18-05-11, 21:19
So why is tpl not given the mbt role if govt want to cope with ppty bubble.

ysyap
18-05-11, 21:19
Housing grant shd b tiered to income n age group as well....marry earlier get more grant;) can help to boost birth rates;)Like that got problem... at 25, undergrads still studying... if got this rule, most will marry when still studying... very very disruptive.. sure got loads of opposition so will :banghead: . I support the idea of increasing MOP to 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 years. The longer the MOP, the more the HDB grant for first timers. Not only can help affordability, can also help mad rush to upgrade so keep couples longer in HDB and not rush into private housing so keep prices in check... :spliff:

ysyap
18-05-11, 21:20
So why is tpl not given the mbt role if govt want to cope with pity bubbletpl is PAP's secret weapon... use only when absolutely necessary... :D

DC33_2008
18-05-11, 21:23
tpl cannot take over MND. T P L stands for Tao Pee Low. All property owners will suffer.
So why is tpl not given the mbt role if govt want to cope with ppty bubble.

wenqing
18-05-11, 21:39
pwah u solid ahh.. go up bus 1st then buy ticket later ah..

i agree, dunnid simi increase income ceiling, karkar hoot more cash grant, but MOP 7 years. dunnid give simi grant in cpf, coz its the cash part that is siong for new families.

This sounds like WP Housing Policy.

McKinnon
18-05-11, 21:40
ya, hdb prices cheong so much grant remain unchanged since the days i bot hdb.

so just give more cash grants and increase mop in return, everybody happy.

can even have tiered grant invisible to the seller, 5 year mop 50k, and 10k cash grant on every additional year of MOP they undertake. :D

Like that got problem... at 25, undergrads still studying... if got this rule, most will marry when still studying... very very disruptive.. sure got loads of opposition so will :banghead: . I support the idea of increasing MOP to 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 years. The longer the MOP, the more the HDB grant for first timers. Not only can help affordability, can also help mad rush to upgrade so keep couples longer in HDB and not rush into private housing so keep prices in check... :spliff:

McKinnon
18-05-11, 21:42
wp policy is pegged to median income lah. :doh:

this suggestion is pegged to market but aimed at helping 1st time buyers.

This sounds like WP Housing Policy.

devilplate
18-05-11, 21:43
ya, hdb prices cheong so much grant remain unchanged since the days i bot hdb.

so just give more cash grants and increase mop in return, everybody happy.

can even have tiered grant invisible to the seller, 5 year mop 50k, and 10k cash grant on every additional year of MOP they undertake. :D
Last time 10yr mop too:D

I tink u r refering to resale flats? Bcoz bto flats doesnt nid alot upfront cash

McKinnon
18-05-11, 21:46
ya resale. new flats no grant right? just 5% cash 5% cpf, but gotta wait so long how to procreate?

10k cash grant per additional year of MOP is nothing lah.. their stamp duty cash cow rakes in much more if there are more transactions in the market.

Last time 10yr mop too:D

I tink u r refering to resale flats? Bcoz bto flats doesnt nid alot upfront cash

devilplate
18-05-11, 21:53
ya resale. new flats no grant right? just 5% cash 5% cpf, but gotta wait so long how to procreate?

10k cash grant per additional year of MOP is nothing lah.. their stamp duty cash cow rakes in much more if there are more transactions in the market.
But like dat will push up resale px rite?

The idea is to maintain resale px n make bto more affordable rite?

McKinnon
18-05-11, 21:59
if we open the floodgates to FT, resale price will rise.

so the idea is to help 1st time couples compete w FTs in securing a resale flat, and move some of the Q away from the BTOs.

The idea is to maintain resale px n make bto more affordable rite?

ysyap
18-05-11, 22:11

The idea is to maintain resale px n make bto more affordable rite?Prices are artificially pushed up initially but will stabalize quickly as more people are staying longer in HDB so can't sell and can't upgrade. Also, these grants are meant to help those who are poorer and if managed carefully, these poorer ones will not be able to afford further price increase so with the additional grants provided, they can only just afford the resale hdb at current prices. The system should not allow those who are wealthier to take up the additional grants and jump into hdb resale to bid high high and upset the intricate balance.. :o All the best to KBW...

DC33_2008
18-05-11, 22:12
We have already seen in the last one year, quite a lot of perts taken away from PRs. Citizen should have more perts than PRs and FT.
if we open the floodgates to FT, resale price will rise.

so the idea is to help 1st time couples compete w FTs in securing a resale flat, and move some of the Q away from the BTOs.

chiaberry
18-05-11, 22:18
I got a bad feeling... since KBW volunteered for this portfolio, he probably has something up his sleeve... the property market eagerly awaits his reaction... Hmm...

Sigh to show off his prowess in the new post, the CM will probably be the mother of all measures. Good capital gains may be a thing of the past.

devilplate
18-05-11, 22:21
Sigh to show off his prowess in the new post, the CM will probably be the mother of all measures. Good capital gains may be a thing of the past.
He will be the greatest joker if his CM caused a px correction

CM is to moderate n not causing a drop....

Wants px to corrects super easy....PR ban from hdb n resale flats cannot use cpf...foreigners not allowed to buy pte ppty:p

ysyap
18-05-11, 22:25
He will be the greatest joker if his CM caused a px correction

CM is to moderate n not causing a drop....

Wants px to corrects super easy....PR ban from hdb n resale flats cannot use cpf...foreigners not allowed to buy pte ppty:pAgreed!!! He won't want to be booted out by PM next month for doing something so silly like this.... :o

kingkong1984
18-05-11, 22:36
New govt term, new people, new policies lah.

Geylang OKT
18-05-11, 22:37
crash is coming! :D :D :D

newbie11
18-05-11, 22:40
if u recall, the govt strategic recommendations last year was to increase productivity, earn more wages. this was repeated during the election.. this will not change. depressing of prices wont happen as it differ from their recommendation and has too much downstream effects.. i forsee more grants, longer MOP, more incentives (perhaps tied to age, nucleus, having baby within X years of marriage) to help the 1st time buyers. this is the segment that complain most. and of cos, rental flats need a boost to aid the low income.

proper-t
18-05-11, 22:40
He won't be so stupid to crash the market. The main complaint during elections was the affordability of HDB so he is probably going to do something about it. Besides, PM already said got mid-yr review. SO if forumers here keep complaining, his KPIs won't be met and may be replaced.

mantrix
18-05-11, 22:43
LOL Chan Chun Sing is replacing Vivian

Such similarity in their personality yah :D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaPeWBs_IvA&feature=related

maisonjai
18-05-11, 23:35
VB now H2O minister, can consider this demoted? :eek:

i agree, KenoBiWan can afford $8 surgery but he cannot afford to bring down the ppty mkt becos his heart cannot take it :tsk-tsk:

lindatlc
18-05-11, 23:42
Hi guys, I m worried. I have paid off my hdb, stayed for 5 years
And just bought a private property. I have sign the option to purchase
And to sign the s n p agreement on coming Monday. If the new rule
Like cannot own second property etc Is introduce tomorrow, will
I be affected?

lindatlc
18-05-11, 23:49
Also if change mop to 10 years instead of 5, then I cannot buy

The private property even I have sign the option? What happen to
My 5 percent down payment.? Also when u say property crash, does it mean
Property price will go down? Confuse, should I go ahead n sign the
S n p agreement on Monday?

land118
19-05-11, 00:37
VB now H2O minister, can consider this demoted? :eek:

i agree, KenoBiWan can afford $8 surgery but he cannot afford to bring down the ppty mkt becos his heart cannot take it :tsk-tsk:

VB new role, quite clear, u are right...as for KBW- wait and see if he follow his predecessors to leave his mark and introduce definitive policies..., normally person in new role want to write their own successful chapter...., score some points...:scared-3:

jwong71
19-05-11, 00:45
He won't be so stupid to crash the market. The main complaint during elections was the affordability of HDB so he is probably going to do something about it. Besides, PM already said got mid-yr review. SO if forumers here keep complaining, his KPIs won't be met and may be replaced.
some say pap will be in power, mbt will be voted in. Haha wad happen now?
Whoever won't be stupid to crash the market.. But don't be surprise when things turned out beyond our expectation.

Expect for the unexpected.

so previously some say mbt will be voted in. Now sacked out Liao, who are we to tell the govt wad to do.

jwong71
19-05-11, 00:46
VB new role, quite clear, u are right...as for KBW- wait and see if he follow his predecessors to leave his mark and introduce definitive policies..., normally person in new role want to write their own successful chapter...., score some points...:scared-3:
the new in charge will wanna write his legacy.

proper-t
19-05-11, 01:19
some say pap will be in power, mbt will be voted in. Haha wad happen now?
Whoever won't be stupid to crash the market.. But don't be surprise when things turned out beyond our expectation.

Expect for the unexpected.

so previously some say mbt will be voted in. Now sacked out Liao, who are we to tell the govt wad to do.

Looks like its based on popularity contest now. Ministers with highest percentage of votes get the most high profile ministry. So the new ministers will try to pander to public....

Whatever, you want, will give to you as long as its not against national interest.

So as you say, expect the unexpected...

You want to have your choice of HDB and affordable...sure, no problem...massive building program, remove as many buyer restriction, accelerate selection, give more grants etc

You want more affordable condo...sure, no problem....build more EC, release more land for EC

You want to make tons of money from from your property...sure, no problem...remove all SSD, loan restirctions, MOP, buyer restrictions.

ysyap
19-05-11, 06:39

S n p agreement on Monday?Go ahead and sign if you need to buy it... once signed, you are saved... won't have any cooling measures over next 2 working days coz new cabinet just announced... KBW still has to sit down and talk talk with his ministry people...:D

hopeful
19-05-11, 09:09

S n p agreement on Monday?

Please exercise the option. What is the unit number and condo that you purchased?
A lot of brothers and sisters here would help you reduce the debt burden when crash happens.

devilplate
19-05-11, 09:11
Please exercise the option. What is the unit number and condo that you purchased?
A lot of brothers and sisters here would help you reduce the debt burden when crash happens.

hahahaha:hell-hath-no-fury: :hell-hath-no-fury: :hell-hath-no-fury:

teddybear
19-05-11, 09:15
Cannot own second property? Ha ha ha! If they so stupid to introduce such policy to crash the property market, I have no eye see. Affects 90% property owners, PAP want to gonna get booted out in next GE?
Any proper measure must be calibrated and mild, step by step, but the most important thing they need to do is for HDB, not private especially CM4 is already too drastic!

I be affected?

devilplate
19-05-11, 09:20
Cannot own second property? Ha ha ha! If they so stupid to introduce such policy to crash the property market, I have no eye see. Affects 90% property owners, PAP want to gonna get booted out in next GE?
Any proper measure must be calibrated and mild, step by step, but the most important thing they need to do is for HDB, not private especially CM4 is already too drastic!

i tink he is afraid MOP will be extended n affect him....or mabe cannot own both HDB and pte ppty at the same time

proud owner
19-05-11, 10:15
I be affected?

dont worry

new policy , if any, can only take effect for those 'done' on or after the new policy ...

yours will be safe ..

ysyap
19-05-11, 10:36
dont worry

new policy , if any, can only take effect for those 'done' on or after the new policy ...

yours will be safe ..Well its two ways to see this.. if increase SSD or reduce LTV, earlier transactions are safe.. but if its remove SSD or increase LTV, then difficult not to include earlier transaction coz there'll surely be an uproar... I vote for removing SSD and restoring 80% LTV... Plus increase MOP with incremental housing rebates with increasing MOP years instead of increasing income ceiling... :D

ay123
19-05-11, 11:01
tpl is PAP's secret weapon... use only when absolutely necessary... :D

tot TPL is already been used to boot lao goh??

devilplate
19-05-11, 11:17
Well its two ways to see this.. if increase SSD or reduce LTV, earlier transactions are safe.. but if its remove SSD or increase LTV, then difficult not to include earlier transaction coz there'll surely be an uproar... I vote for removing SSD and restoring 80% LTV... Plus increase MOP with incremental housing rebates with increasing MOP years instead of increasing income ceiling... :D

haha

vote for zero SSD, 90% loan, defer payment scheme back!

fry up the BUBBLE BIG BIG!

or vote for more SSD, ban PRs, ban foreigner! CRASH the market BIG BIG!

:D :D :D

i lose when market flat flat....the longer it stays flat....we all goto :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

proper-t
19-05-11, 11:43
haha

vote for zero SSD, 90% loan, defer payment scheme back!

fry up the BUBBLE BIG BIG!

or vote for more SSD, ban PRs, ban foreigner! CRASH the market BIG BIG!

:D :D :D

i lose when market flat flat....the longer it stays flat....we all goto :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Wah...you extremist....

Think Govt should just look at HDB sector. Increase supply and affordability by increasing grants or tweaking restrictions.

For private sector, just let mkt forces determine equilibrium. If some control is needed, then jsut very mild incremental measures.

On one hand, analysts say glut of unsold units. On the other hand, govt say huge speculative bubble and prices peakish, so must impose CM. As long as there is still so much supply, how can you say there is a bubble? Who do you believe?

ysyap
19-05-11, 11:50
Wah...you extremist....

Think Govt should just look at HDB sector. Increase supply and affordability by increasing grants or tweaking restrictions.

For private sector, just let mkt forces determine equilibrium. If some control is needed, then jsut very mild incremental measures.

On one hand, analysts say glut of unsold units. On the other hand, govt say huge speculative bubble and prices peakish, so must impose CM. As long as there is still so much supply, how can you say there is a bubble? Who do you believe?Currently, there are some 10 000 vacant units in the market, mostly private (and so I heard it on radio). So bubble is unlikely. Think Govt should just concentrate on HDB and making it more affordable, will have small impact on OCR which can then have an even smaller impact on RCR. Only CCR should be left alone... :spliff2:

proud owner
19-05-11, 12:14
Well its two ways to see this.. if increase SSD or reduce LTV, earlier transactions are safe.. but if its remove SSD or increase LTV, then difficult not to include earlier transaction coz there'll surely be an uproar... I vote for removing SSD and restoring 80% LTV... Plus increase MOP with incremental housing rebates with increasing MOP years instead of increasing income ceiling... :D

thats true ...

so he would just have to take the chance ...

lindatlc
19-05-11, 12:58

I bought 8 courtyards, $635,100, cannot only afford this after paying off
My flat...

Armstrong
19-05-11, 13:07
hahahaha:hell-hath-no-fury: :hell-hath-no-fury: :hell-hath-no-fury:

Don't think property price will crash BUT it will soften quite a bit. :)

rattydrama
19-05-11, 13:20

wow transaction price sure chiong again if that is the case.
investors will be very busy buying and selling. :-)

rattydrama
19-05-11, 13:22
Wah...you extremist....

On one hand, analysts say glut of unsold units. On the other hand, govt say huge speculative bubble and prices peakish, so must impose CM. As long as there is still so much supply, how can you say there is a bubble? Who do you believe?

That is the way to make big money. remember he is the DEVIL.

rattydrama
19-05-11, 13:34
I bought 8 courtyards, $635,100, cannot only afford this after paying off
My flat...

congratulations. Its exciting to see people are buying. 1+1 or 2bedder?

proper-t
19-05-11, 14:09
That is the way to make big money. remember he is the DEVIL.

According to blackjack21trader, HE is a SHE devil (very chio one somemore)......

ysyap
19-05-11, 14:14
According to blackjack21trader, HE is a SHE devil (very chio one somemore)......Blackjack21trader has a third eye but most Singaporeans have four... :D He's weird! :spliff:

chiaberry
19-05-11, 14:16
:hell-hath-no-fury: Pontianak?

According to blackjack21trader, HE is a SHE devil (very chio one somemore)......

proper-t
19-05-11, 14:20
:hell-hath-no-fury: Pontianak?

very scientific pontianak.....

Quote from BJ21T
sister Devilplate, u work near Science Park right? And very chio also leh...

HAHAHAHAHA
:ashamed1:

chiaberry
19-05-11, 14:26
Didn't she go to sch with gangsters? Maybe a yakuza-trained scientific pontianak :hell-hath-no-fury: The legend of DEVILPLATE!!! :cool: Hmmm maybe she has some nice tatoos. Bro blackjack21trader din mention.

ay123
19-05-11, 14:43

she is the one....

ysyap
19-05-11, 14:43
Didn't she go to sch with gangsters? Maybe a yakuza-trained scientific pontianak :hell-hath-no-fury: The legend of DEVILPLATE!!! :cool: Hmmm maybe she has some nice tatoos. Bro blackjack21trader din mention.He closed third eye le and went to sleep le... :sleep:

devilplate
19-05-11, 15:27
Didn't she go to sch with gangsters? Maybe a yakuza-trained scientific pontianak :hell-hath-no-fury: The legend of DEVILPLATE!!! :cool: Hmmm maybe she has some nice tatoos. Bro blackjack21trader din mention.
Hehe....nice description

Well done:cheers6:

Blackjack gd at bj too;) :D

devilplate
19-05-11, 15:30
Yes vy chio...dun wet dreams hor:p

ysyap
19-05-11, 15:36
How come this thread only concern with WKS and MBT? What about Raymond L? He also kanna big time from voters on transportation??? Then how come KBW also kanna big time about his affordable health care but still in cabinet with another hot hot portfolio??? :confused:

taggy
19-05-11, 15:41
How come this thread only concern with WKS and MBT? What about Raymond L? He also kanna big time from voters on transportation??? Then how come KBW also kanna big time about his affordable health care but still in cabinet with another hot hot portfolio??? :confused:

KBW(63.90%) is the best among the lots mah :D

chiaberry
19-05-11, 15:42

I hope this means new transport minister will SPEED up the new lines opening/construction, increase frequency of existing trains and reduce overcrowding on the MRT or else....:tsk-tsk:

KBW a kamikaze pilot. Make or break. He got new plumbing on his heart. The engine can last another round. Or maybe the seat he left even more can of worms about to come out than the new one?

land118
19-05-11, 15:43
How come this thread only concern with WKS and MBT? What about Raymond L? He also kanna big time from voters on transportation??? Then how come KBW also kanna big time about his affordable health care but still in cabinet with another hot hot portfolio??? :confused:If people complaint public housing not affordable, maybe we will get comments like..." go JB and buy lo, cheaper:D "

ysyap
19-05-11, 15:46
I hope this means new transport minister will SPEED up the new lines opening/construction, increase frequency of existing trains and reduce overcrowding on the MRT or else....:tsk-tsk:

KBW a kamikaze pilot. Make or break. He got new plumbing on his heart. The engine can last another round. Or maybe the seat he left even more can of worms about to come out than the new one?KBW got a real big gap to bridge... hmmm... one of the more tricky ministry to be in... :spliff:

devilplate
19-05-11, 15:48
KBW got a real big gap to bridge... hmmm... one of the more tricky ministry to be in... :spliff:
Told u not to worry liao....b4 next ge, vy high chance kena recession oredi

He shd tink of how to revive the ppty market later on:p

ay123
19-05-11, 15:52

no contribution from raymond lim since he took over leh. he basically follow the policy left behind for him. his message is he want to retire to let the young one with fresh idea....wat a big joke.....lui is only 2 years younger than him. just be open and say i kana sacked!!! wtf!!! :D serve him right!!

ysyap
19-05-11, 15:54
no contribution from raymond lim since he took over leh. he basically follow the policy left behind for him. his message is he want to retire to let the young one with fresh idea....wat a big joke.....lui is only 2 years younger than him. just be open and say i kana sacked!!! wtf!!! :D serve him right!!Lui TY also got unpleasant comments.. can he manage the increasing demanding for transportation due to increasing population??? Hmm...

ysyap
19-05-11, 15:55

He shd tink of how to revive the ppty market later on:pYes sir/ or mdm??? :p

devilplate
19-05-11, 15:56
Yes sir/ or mdm??? :p
Anything tat suits ur inner desire;)

ay123
19-05-11, 15:57
Lui TY also got unpleasant comments.. can he manage the increasing demanding for transportation due to increasing population??? Hmm...

he is yet to be tested. those recent comments on him actually is more personal. he navy guy right? should be tough to take the difficult task.

ay123
19-05-11, 15:59

He shd tink of how to revive the ppty market later on:p

if say US recover 3 yrs later, do u think there will be another round of recession before next GE?

devilplate
19-05-11, 16:04
if say US recover 3 yrs later, do u think there will be another round of recession before next GE?
Hard to say, if usa recover but sg suffer smthing like asia financial crisis....ultimate crash bcoz interest rates rise n rental drop at the same time:scared-1:

ysyap
19-05-11, 16:12
Anything tat suits ur inner desire;)No desire for devil... I prefer humans.... :D

ssman
19-05-11, 17:47

Left to itself a market will not determine equilibrium, but instead swing on both sides of it. Usually any market will be regulated to prevent wild swings, and instead have gradual growth.
Why you always hear of this country changed interest rates, that country changed interest rates? It is to prevent sudden changes in prices. When price goes high fast, increase interest rate. When it come down too fast, reduce interest rate. Not just for housing, also for stock market and general inflation too. SG govt. do the same with monetary policy and exchange rate.

Both say the same thing - bubble mean that too much optomism, not enough reality. If unit is empty or unsold, then why everyone so bull about property? Why property rising so fast when no-one is there to live in it? FT will not live in million dollar condo.
Think like food - if we all go buy food because price increasing, we want to buy today, sell tomorrow to hungry people. But in reality, 80% is not hungry in SG, and the few people that are hungry cannot afford your expensive price food tomorrow. So today you buy buy, tomorrow who will you sell to? No one want to eat expensive food.

Bubble.

jwong71
19-05-11, 17:53
Left to itself a market will not determine equilibrium, but instead swing on both sides of it. Usually any market will be regulated to prevent wild swings, and instead have gradual growth.
Why you always hear of this country changed interest rates, that country changed interest rates? It is to prevent sudden changes in prices. When price goes high fast, increase interest rate. When it come down too fast, reduce interest rate. Not just for housing, also for stock market and general inflation too. SG govt. do the same with monetary policy and exchange rate.

Both say the same thing - bubble mean that too much optomism, not enough reality. If unit is empty or unsold, then why everyone so bull about property? Why property rising so fast when no-one is there to live in it? FT will not live in million dollar condo.
Think like food - if we all go buy food because price increasing, we want to buy today, sell tomorrow to hungry people. But in reality, 80% is not hungry in SG, and the few people that are hungry cannot afford your expensive price food tomorrow. So today you buy buy, tomorrow who will you sell to? No one want to eat expensive food.

Bubble.

worst, its artificially pushed up through those hot monies and massive speculation from all walks of life..

low income(few parties combine buying), middle income, or high income.

but i loving it:D

Regulators
19-05-11, 19:52
I think blackjack is straight so he doesn't do bj :D

Blackjack gd at bj too;) :D

devilplate
19-05-11, 20:15
I think blackjack is straight so he doesn't do bj :D
Blackjack is a chiobu lah:D

ysyap
19-05-11, 20:26
Blackjack is a chiobu lah:DHow you know? Devils have third eyes too??? :p

ysyap
19-05-11, 20:28

Bubble.So the only logical conclusion is those who are buying today are not for investment but for own stay lor... then again how come so many people buying for homestay today??? :D

ysyap
19-05-11, 20:32
I must say that PAP kanna big time wake up call from the recent GE. LTK achieved his objective of keeping the incumbent in check by winning that one GRC. Heard many ministers now saying they will begin their new portfolio by going to the ground first before deciding what new measures to implement or policies to introduce... hope it is the beginning of a new era of listening govt... another 5 years to see how long they can sustain this passion to listen and act accordingly. :D Singaporeans made a good choice in their vote. First time ever I hear PAP so attentive to Singaporeans. A totally different PAP... good job!!!

linchong84
19-05-11, 20:38
It's very hard for them listen and be nice for 5 years continuous. It'll be very tiring for them.. Now everybody say govt never listened, so govt has to listen for 1st year to appease people's anger. After that, 2 years of hardship, followed by 2 years of growth/carrots should be just nice.. A relationship must have ups and downs so that the people can truly appreciate. If 5 years all happy happy, it will mean prices will not move up or down significantly.. Like that devilplate will cry..

devilplate
19-05-11, 20:41
How you know? Devils have third eyes too??? :p
Yes sister...i saw u using pink cover ipad2 jus now

Hahaha

devilplate
19-05-11, 20:45
It's very hard for them listen and be nice for 5 years continuous. It'll be very tiring for them.. Now everybody say govt never listened, so govt has to listen for 1st year to appease people's anger. After that, 2 years of hardship, followed by 2 years of growth/carrots should be just nice.. A relationship must have ups and downs so that the people can truly appreciate. If 5 years all happy happy, it will mean prices will not move up or down significantly.. Like that devilplate will cry..

Ya lor....cry n repent for next 5yrs liao

ysyap
19-05-11, 20:46
It's very hard for them listen and be nice for 5 years continuous. It'll be very tiring for them.. Now everybody say govt never listened, so govt has to listen for 1st year to appease people's anger. After that, 2 years of hardship, followed by 2 years of growth/carrots should be just nice.. A relationship must have ups and downs so that the people can truly appreciate. If 5 years all happy happy, it will mean prices will not move up or down significantly.. Like that devilplate will cry..It appears that you are doubtful of their sincerity... hmm.... I think to a certain degree, they are sincere lah.. but it sure is hard work for them man... Ministers better work for their pay... :D

ysyap
19-05-11, 20:48
Yes sister...i saw u using pink cover ipad2 jus now

HahahaSometimes change to purple cover lah... :spliff:

DC33_2008
19-05-11, 20:49
Pity all the Minister of State and Senior Parliamentary Secretary working in Ministries where both DPMs are in. They will have to work real hard.
It appears that you are doubtful of their sincerity... hmm.... I think to a certain degree, they are sincere lah.. but it sure is hard work for them man... Ministers better work for their pay... :D

linchong84
19-05-11, 20:59
Pity all the Minister of State and Senior Parliamentary Secretary working in Ministries where both DPMs are in. They will have to work real hard.

Haha.. Below them there are still perm sec, deputy sec, etc etc etc.. So many scholars everywhere, so those top ones have to work hard to make decision and chair meetings only.. Alright lah..

linchong84
19-05-11, 21:03
It appears that you are doubtful of their sincerity... hmm.... I think to a certain degree, they are sincere lah.. but it sure is hard work for them man... Ministers better work for their pay... :D

I never doubt or what.. The problem is now singapore is a matured economy already, not much progress can be made liao, so how to expect them to make 5 good years.. They will also find it hard.. Govt's economic strategy now is to make singapore a global hub, thats why all those F1, this and that convention, YOG, 2 x IRs all come.. This kind of strategy is to attract the rich to come, so bobian rich-poor gap will widen one.. So how to expect govt to give people 5 good years.. 1st year good and last 2 years good is already an excellent performance..

kingkong1984
19-05-11, 21:31
I never doubt or what.. The problem is now singapore is a matured economy already, not much progress can be made liao, so how to expect them to make 5 good years.. They will also find it hard.. Govt's economic strategy now is to make singapore a global hub, thats why all those F1, this and that convention, YOG, 2 x IRs all come.. This kind of strategy is to attract the rich to come, so bobian rich-poor gap will widen one.. So how to expect govt to give people 5 good years.. 1st year good and last 2 years good is already an excellent performance..
1st year, property prices maintain,
Last 2 years, property recover and maintain.
So... In 2nd and 3rd year, the bubble burst!

ysyap
19-05-11, 21:34
1st year, property prices maintain,
Last 2 years, property recover and maintain.
So... In 2nd and 3rd year, the bubble burst!Singaporeans getting smarter liao.. if bubble burst because of govt's poor policies and oversight, they'll sure complain like crazy like the recent GE where MBT kanna big time and winning margin not impressive at all and that was against NSP. If it was WP, they may even lose le... :doh:

ysyap
19-05-11, 21:37
I never doubt or what.. The problem is now singapore is a matured economy already, not much progress can be made liao, so how to expect them to make 5 good years.. They will also find it hard.. Govt's economic strategy now is to make singapore a global hub, thats why all those F1, this and that convention, YOG, 2 x IRs all come.. This kind of strategy is to attract the rich to come, so bobian rich-poor gap will widen one.. So how to expect govt to give people 5 good years.. 1st year good and last 2 years good is already an excellent performance..What then is good in terms of property? Good for one may not be so for another... good for owners when property prices climb but no good for potential owners. Good for sellers when property prices are high but no good for buyers and vice versa. Big headache for KBW... :scared-5:

kingkong1984
19-05-11, 21:45
All want price to drop. No worry, just make sure it recover by 5th yr.

Regulators
19-05-11, 23:07
To those in jurong who voted for PAP :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

SINGAPORE - With electricity prices and maintenance costs going up, at least two town councils, Aljunied and Jurong, will raise their Service and Conservancy Charges (S&CC) next month.

The hike will impact flats, shops, offices and market and hawker stalls.

For Singaporean households in Housing Board flats, the hike per month will range between 50 cents for a one-room flat and $4.50 for a five-room flat.

While the other 12 People's Action Party (PAP) and two Opposition town councils have not indicated on their websites that they will raise S&CC, could the announcements by Aljunied and Jurong herald an inevitable trend as costs rise and economic conditions pick up?

The 14 PAP town councils had raised S&CC across the board in 2004 - seven years after the last revision.

Coming up to the six-year mark now, town councils like Jurong have seen power tariffs shoot up by 38.4 per cent since October 2004.

This impacts the town council "greatly", Jurong Town Council said, as utility bills account for 30 per cent of overall operating cost. "Electricity consumption is also forecast to increase with the installation of more lifts, linkways and amenities within the town," it added.

On the frequently-asked-questions section of its website, the town council dismissed any suggestion that the S&CC hike was linked to any investments in failed Lehman-linked structured products.

In the first place, it did not invest in any of the troubled financial products; and its "investments have been generating returns of 2.57 per cent per annum over the last five years", Jurong Town Council said.

Meanwhile, with the growing number of lifts, and lifts making more stops in a block, maintenance costs have also rocketed. In Aljunied, for example, the monthly servicing costs have doubled from $300 to $624 where a lift makes nine more stops. And where there were just 884 lifts to maintain in 2005, there will be 1,109 by this month's end, and a projected 1,270 by 2014.

Also expected to rise: The cost of keeping estates clean. "The demands on the cleaning and refuse removal contractors have changed, and so too their service costs," Aljunied Town Council general manager Jeffrey Chua said.

"Because they have to meet specific performance targets, they have to pay higher wages for better trained workers." The cleaning contract rate of about $5.98 per equivalent dwelling unit each month has gone up to about $6.25.

For households facing problems with S&CC payments, both town councils assured them financial help was available and urged them to approach their Members of Parliament.

Residents MediaCorp spoke to want more clarity. "Neighbours complain the estate is still dirty. With the increase, I hope for more transparency on the targets achieved," Aljunied resident Reynold Seah said.

Jurong resident JF Yeo said: "Any fee increase so soon after a recession cannot be good news. The town council should at least show us that our money will be put to good use."

Meanwhile, Jalan Besar Town Council chairperson Denise Phua and Bishan-Toa Payoh Town Council chairman Zainudin Nordin both said they had no plans for now to increase conservancy charges.

Ms Phua noted that estates varied in terms of age and programmes, which could account for differences in upkeep costs.

stl67
19-05-11, 23:11
All want price to drop. No worry, just make sure it recover by 5th yr.
Not everyone is hoping for price to drop. Depends whether you are long or short. I am sad that MBT is stepping down.

proper-t
20-05-11, 00:47

Bubble.

The imbalance and wild swings are caused by too much govt intervention. Govt intervention by itself (restrictions on ownership and funding) is not so much an issue but when the govt is the major land supplier itself, that is when it causes big problems as it is driven by the following motives :

A. They try to fill the coffers by trying to sell as much land as possible when mkt is hot
B. Knee jerk reactions by the govt of releasing huge supply of land when it wants to 'adjust prices' downwards to appease the public
C. Contracting supply quickly and not awarding land citing 'reserve' prices' during 'recessionary'times.

(A) to (C) severly disrupts the supply balance and causes the swings to be more extreme. Let me cite an example.

1. When market is hot :
a. Govt release huge amounts of land to try to strike when iron is hot and fill coffers
b. Developer bids high and is successful
c. Developer quickly tries to cram alll its launches within the same year to catch the fever.
d. Say an average of 3 yrs construction time - huge glut of supply come onstream all at the same time
e. Buyers have difficulty finding tenants or servicing loans, mkt goes into arrest. Property prices plummets

2. When mkt is down.
a. Developers who have sold out and exhausted their land banks (but is now flush with cash from TOP of these units) try to get land at cheap prices in down mkt.
b. They activate land tenders but bid low because mkt is down. Govt refuses to award tenders citing reserve price reasons.
c. Govt sensing that recession is at hand also slow downs land releases.
d. When mkt picks up in 2 to 3 yrs tme, there is just not enough supply to meet demand, this causes prices to spiral upwards quickly causing feeding frenzy. Go back to point 1

ysyap
20-05-11, 06:30
The imbalance and wild swings are caused by too much govt intervention. Govt intervention by itself (restrictions on ownership and funding) is not so much an issue but when the govt is the major land supplier itself, that is when it causes big problems as it is driven by the following motives :

A. They try to fill the coffers by trying to sell as much land as possible when mkt is hot
B. Knee jerk reactions by the govt of releasing huge supply of land when it wants to 'adjust prices' downwards to appease the public
C. Contracting supply quickly and not awarding land citing 'reserve' prices' during 'recessionary'times.

(A) to (C) severly disrupts the supply balance and causes the swings to be more extreme. Let me cite an example.

1. When market is hot :
a. Govt release huge amounts of land to try to strike when iron is hot and fill coffers
b. Developer bids high and is successful
c. Developer quickly tries to cram alll its launches within the same year to catch the fever.
d. Say an average of 3 yrs construction time - huge glut of supply come onstream all at the same time
e. Buyers have difficulty finding tenants or servicing loans, mkt goes into arrest. Property prices plummets

2. When mkt is down.
a. Developers who have sold out and exhausted their land banks (but is now flush with cash from TOP of these units) try to get land at cheap prices in down mkt.
b. They activate land tenders but bid low because mkt is down. Govt refuses to award tenders citing reserve price reasons.
c. Govt sensing that recession is at hand also slow downs land releases.
d. When mkt picks up in 2 to 3 yrs tme, there is just not enough supply to meet demand, this causes prices to spiral upwards quickly causing feeding frenzy. Go back to point 1Agreed to most of the points mentioned but for B, the release of huge amounts of land is not to adjust price downwards. Adjusting price downwards is a natural (expected) outcome but the primary objective was the great complaints that there was insufficient supply to meet the huge demands whether from high influx of foreigners or locals.

Also your model simply assumed a cycle in the property market but the market need not neccessarily be down after the initial 3 years of hot. There are many other factors that might affect whether up or down. These external factors may well bring the market down in less than 3 years or may drag on for up to 7 years as observed from 1997 to 2001 and then to 2008. :ashamed1:

ysyap
20-05-11, 06:34
I never doubt or what.. The problem is now singapore is a matured economy already, not much progress can be made liao, so how to expect them to make 5 good years.. They will also find it hard.. Govt's economic strategy now is to make singapore a global hub, thats why all those F1, this and that convention, YOG, 2 x IRs all come.. This kind of strategy is to attract the rich to come, so bobian rich-poor gap will widen one.. So how to expect govt to give people 5 good years.. 1st year good and last 2 years good is already an excellent performance..Well I would have to agree on what you've mentioned. In the 1950s when Singapore was still a 3rd world country, in terms of national progresses, there are plenty of space to improve so the ministers when they are good and capable, could have very impressive results. Now, the direction is totally different. As a 1st world country, progresses come in other forms such as luxuries and attractiveness to foreign investments, etc. Slightly more challenging to have an equally impressive resume as those of our predeccessors. :spliff:

ysyap
20-05-11, 07:39
To those in jurong who voted for PAP :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

SINGAPORE - With electricity prices and maintenance costs going up, at least two town councils, Aljunied and Jurong, will raise their Service and Conservancy Charges (S&CC) next month.

The hike will impact flats, shops, offices and market and hawker stalls.

For Singaporean households in Housing Board flats, the hike per month will range between 50 cents for a one-room flat and $4.50 for a five-room flat.

While the other 12 People's Action Party (PAP) and two Opposition town councils have not indicated on their websites that they will raise S&CC, could the announcements by Aljunied and Jurong herald an inevitable trend as costs rise and economic conditions pick up?

The 14 PAP town councils had raised S&CC across the board in 2004 - seven years after the last revision.

Coming up to the six-year mark now, town councils like Jurong have seen power tariffs shoot up by 38.4 per cent since October 2004.

This impacts the town council "greatly", Jurong Town Council said, as utility bills account for 30 per cent of overall operating cost. "Electricity consumption is also forecast to increase with the installation of more lifts, linkways and amenities within the town," it added.

On the frequently-asked-questions section of its website, the town council dismissed any suggestion that the S&CC hike was linked to any investments in failed Lehman-linked structured products.

In the first place, it did not invest in any of the troubled financial products; and its "investments have been generating returns of 2.57 per cent per annum over the last five years", Jurong Town Council said.

Meanwhile, with the growing number of lifts, and lifts making more stops in a block, maintenance costs have also rocketed. In Aljunied, for example, the monthly servicing costs have doubled from $300 to $624 where a lift makes nine more stops. And where there were just 884 lifts to maintain in 2005, there will be 1,109 by this month's end, and a projected 1,270 by 2014.

Also expected to rise: The cost of keeping estates clean. "The demands on the cleaning and refuse removal contractors have changed, and so too their service costs," Aljunied Town Council general manager Jeffrey Chua said.

"Because they have to meet specific performance targets, they have to pay higher wages for better trained workers." The cleaning contract rate of about $5.98 per equivalent dwelling unit each month has gone up to about $6.25.

For households facing problems with S&CC payments, both town councils assured them financial help was available and urged them to approach their Members of Parliament.

Residents MediaCorp spoke to want more clarity. "Neighbours complain the estate is still dirty. With the increase, I hope for more transparency on the targets achieved," Aljunied resident Reynold Seah said.

Jurong resident JF Yeo said: "Any fee increase so soon after a recession cannot be good news. The town council should at least show us that our money will be put to good use."

Meanwhile, Jalan Besar Town Council chairperson Denise Phua and Bishan-Toa Payoh Town Council chairman Zainudin Nordin both said they had no plans for now to increase conservancy charges.

Ms Phua noted that estates varied in terms of age and programmes, which could account for differences in upkeep costs.Not sure if this is after the election. It says 2 opp town councils haven't increase price referring to PP and Hougang. Aljunied is still under Mrs Phua so I think this was referring to last year's report... :spliff:

ysyap
20-05-11, 07:40
MBT admitted responsibility for the high housing cost yesterday...:spliff:

land118
20-05-11, 08:21

I think he it all along, can't be after GE, suddenly wake up since he also say he expressed his wish to step down earlier...but was asked to stay. His last Cooling Measure was his swan song , "hiok, jialat jilat" 4 yr SSD, 40%LTV, so that we all remember him! Really good, he make sure he justify his pay to his bosses!

proper-t
20-05-11, 09:30
Agreed to most of the points mentioned but for B, the release of huge amounts of land is not to adjust price downwards. Adjusting price downwards is a natural (expected) outcome but the primary objective was the great complaints that there was insufficient supply to meet the huge demands whether from high influx of foreigners or locals.

Its usually a combi of all the factors. I think we would be naive to think that "B" is not one of the factors as the actions & words of MBT in the run-up to the elections clearly show that one of the reasons for their massive release of land was also to 'moderate' prices to cater to public outroar.

Also your model simply assumed a cycle in the property market but the market need not neccessarily be down after the initial 3 years of hot. There are many other factors that might affect whether up or down. These external factors may well bring the market down in less than 3 years or may drag on for up to 7 years as observed from 1997 to 2001 and then to 2008. :ashamed1:

As stated, my two scenarios (pt 1 & 2) is just an EXAMPLE. Sure cycles are different all the time.

What I am trying to point out is that whatever the cyclical period, tweaking just the demand side (buyer restrictions, SSD, LTV etc) but ignoring the impact of the supply side (which is solely based on revenue maximisation or political motivations) in releasing land indiscriminately only exacerbates the swings even more.

ysyap
20-05-11, 09:31
I think he it all along, can't be after GE, suddenly wake up since he also say he expressed his wish to step down earlier...but was asked to stay. His last Cooling Measure was his swan song , "hiok, jialat jilat" 4 yr SSD, 40%LTV, so that we all remember him! Really good, he make sure he justify his pay to his bosses!It's 60% LTV...:D

ay123
20-05-11, 09:35
I think he it all along, can't be after GE, suddenly wake up since he also say he expressed his wish to step down earlier...but was asked to stay. His last Cooling Measure was his swan song , "hiok, jialat jilat" 4 yr SSD, 40%LTV, so that we all remember him! Really good, he make sure he justify his pay to his bosses!
both WKS/MBT said they already express their intention to step down years back. u believe them?? they must be kana sack but still die die say want to give way to new generation :doh: raymond lim is the worse!! give way to younger player who is 2 yrs yonger than him!!

land118
20-05-11, 09:40
It's 60% LTV...:D ya...typo error..

land118
20-05-11, 09:43
both WKS/MBT said they already express their intention to step down years back. u believe them?? they must be kana sack but still die die say want to give way to new generation :doh: raymond lim is the worse!! give way to younger player who is 2 yrs yonger than him!! Ya, who will believe....Yes, Raymond Lim - if not for WKS & MBT kena wacked, sure many will focus on him also....can't think of any significant good that that benefit us during his tenure..., can u? Don't talk about the opening of Circle Line, etc - this was Master Plan long ago..., ya...other lines being announced recently, but nothing concrete..., execution still long way off....

land118
20-05-11, 09:47
Quote from MBT:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1129933/1/.html

"Mr Mah said he welcomes Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan, who will be taking over as National Development Minister.

"I am confident that (Mr Khaw) will lead the ministry to even greater heights," he said"

Hope MBT don't mean greater heights = higher prices for HDB? :D

linchong84
20-05-11, 09:51

Did he specify whether he meant pte or public housing? This is very impt, cos it means the new guy will strive towards correcting the price of either one, or even both..

ay123
20-05-11, 09:54
Did he specify whether he meant pte or public housing? This is very impt, cos it means the new guy will strive towards correcting the price of either one, or even both..

LHL instruction to khaw is to look at BOTH hdb n pte leh

proper-t
20-05-11, 09:56
Quote from MBT:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1129933/1/.html

"Mr Mah said he welcomes Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan, who will be taking over as National Development Minister.

"I am confident that (Mr Khaw) will lead the ministry to even greater heights," he said"

Hope MBT don't mean greater heights = higher prices for HDB? :D

I hope so to but when you look at the 'top performing' ministries in terms of revenue generation, what do you think will be the case?

Finance - Tax, stamp duties etc
MND - Land sales, HDB sales etc
Transport - COE, ERP etc

A manager who takes over a dept or division will always try to better the performance of his predecessor. The only way to change is to remove 'revenue generation' as a KPI in their assessment critiera. This is only possible if driven from top-down.

land118
20-05-11, 10:05
Some of the notable quotes from our former Transport Minister, Raymond Lim in the past:

“You want it to be free, do you want the GST to go up to 8.5% to run a completely free bus and train system?”

“We don’t want the companies to be making excessive profits, but that’s different from saying that they cannot make profits at all.”

“There are only two persons who pay when it comes to public transport fares. One, I use – I pay. Or two, I use – you help me subsidise my ride. What happens when you subsidise my rides? That means the taxpayers are now paying.”

“The answer is that public transport fares are not directly linked to oil prices.”

“heads the PAP wins, tails citizens lose“.

land118
20-05-11, 10:07
I hope so to but when you look at the 'top performing' ministries in terms of revenue generation, what do you think will be the case?

Transport - COE, ERP etc

A manager who takes over a dept or division will always try to better the performance of his predecessor. The only way to change is to remove 'revenue generation' as a KPI in their assessment critiera. This is only possible if driven from top-down. Yes, only way to measure are KPIs that measurable....$$$, can't be wait till 5 years later and measure them by how many % votes they win in their GRC...

proper-t
20-05-11, 10:11
Some of the notable quotes from our former Transport Minister, Raymond Lim in the past:

“You want it to be free, do you want the GST to go up to 8.5% to run a completely free bus and train system?”

“We don’t want the companies to be making excessive profits, but that’s different from saying that they cannot make profits at all.”

“There are only two persons who pay when it comes to public transport fares. One, I use – I pay. Or two, I use – you help me subsidise my ride. What happens when you subsidise my rides? That means the taxpayers are now paying.”

“The answer is that public transport fares are not directly linked to oil prices.”

“heads the PAP wins, tails citizens lose“.

SINGAPORE, INC.......

devilplate
20-05-11, 10:11
if subsidise more on tpt n healthcare n BTO flats, which areas u tink govt should take back from?

land118
20-05-11, 10:35
if subsidise more on tpt n healthcare n BTO flats, which areas u tink govt should take back from? From Casino..., speed up the reclamation and development on Lazarus island, etc, open 3rd Integrated resort there..., rack in more $$$.:D

We are already 2nd Biggest Gamblers in the world liao:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/05/gambling?fsrc=scn%2Ffb%2Fwl%2Fdc%2Fthebiggestlosers

Fleur
20-05-11, 10:41
if subsidise more on tpt n healthcare n BTO flats, which areas u tink govt should take back from?

Ministers' pay

ysyap
20-05-11, 11:12

Transport - COE, ERP etc

A manager who takes over a dept or division will always try to better the performance of his predecessor. The only way to change is to remove 'revenue generation' as a KPI in their assessment critiera. This is only possible if driven from top-down.Of the 3 ministries, I suspect transport got the largest revenue generation... how many lands can you sell in a year? Tax and stamp duty collection can also be projected and its pretty fixed. Its the COE and ERP that keeps rising and the number of COEs released every month may be controlled in terms of numbers but not in terms of bidding results. Also, ERP can just add 2 more gantries any time they think traffic flow is slow, etc... :doh:

proper-t
20-05-11, 11:24
Of the 3 ministries, I suspect transport got the largest revenue generation... how many lands can you sell in a year? Tax and stamp duty collection can also be projected and its pretty fixed. Its the COE and ERP that keeps rising and the number of COEs released every month may be controlled in terms of numbers but not in terms of bidding results. Also, ERP can just add 2 more gantries any time they think traffic flow is slow, etc... :doh:

COE is a fixed no. each year and can sometimes be only $1 plus a lot of motorists try to 'siam' ERP gantries.

For MND, they not only get revenue from sales (some sales are already hundreds of millions) but also rentals and lease renewals. Its not just residential but commercial and factory/warehouse as well.

My suspect however is that IRAS is the most since median income of SG residents has been rising PLUS the buyers/sellers' stamp duties and the BIGGEST kicker of all - CASINO revenue taxes + levies.

Anyway, my point is that as long as 'revenue generation' figures strongly in the assessment of Ministers, then things will not change very drastically and we will be status quo 5 yrs down the road.

As stated in my earlier post, one of the causes of our housing woes is because of the supply imbalance cause by 'revenue maximisation' motivations.

ysyap
20-05-11, 11:26

Transport is just to increase number of trains/buses. Taking train as example, each train's cost plus maintenance cost is pretty fixed but with added trains means can get more commuters so will naturally generate more revenue and in turn, can channel back to people. One train traveling with one passenger vs one train with 1000 passenger, the running cost of moving the train may be slightly different but the income difference is certainly huge... Not saying that therefore should have less train. My point is to strike a comfortable balance there.

Healthcare should be subsidized further. Medisave has so much clauses before you can even touch... first must educate the people on these clauses. Then maybe use medisave to pay for insurances which provide riders so in that sense, healthcare is bore both by govt and insurance companies. Those w/o medisave will have different model.

BTO flats subsidy can be overcome by channeling land cost from ECs to BTO coz ECs don't have subsidy... hahaha!!! Such an ideal world.. :spliff:

ysyap
20-05-11, 11:28
COE is a fixed no. each year and can sometimes be only $1 plus a lot of motorists try to 'siam' ERP gantries.

For MND, they not only get revenue from sales (some sales are already hundreds of millions) but also rentals and lease renewals. Its not just residential but commercial and factory/warehouse as well.

My suspect however is that IRAS is the most since median income of SG residents has been rising PLUS the buyers/sellers' stamp duties casino and the BIGGEST kicker of all - CASINO revenue taxes + levies.

Anyway, my point is that as long as 'revenue generation' figures strongly in the assessment of Ministers, then things will not change very drastically and we will be status quo 5 yrs down the road.

As stated in my earlier post, one of the causes of our housing woes is because of the supply imbalance cause by 'revenue maximisation' motivations.Unfortunately, I guess revenue generation will remain a KPI for these ministers.. :spliff:

chiaberry
20-05-11, 11:37
Revenue generation is a priority even for health. A doctor friend told me that even in the past more than 10 years ago, he was chastised by the CEO of the public hospital he was working in that he was spending too much time with the C class patients rather than the A class patients. That's why I think KBW $8 by pass is a joke.

proper-t
20-05-11, 11:38
Unfortunately, I guess revenue generation will remain a KPI for these ministers.. :spliff:

Hope you can change all that when you are 'sworn-in' this sat.....;)

Regulators
20-05-11, 12:11
I am very certain jurong just got the increase, not sure about aljunied.
Not sure if this is after the election. It says 2 opp town councils haven't increase price referring to PP and Hougang. Aljunied is still under Mrs Phua so I think this was referring to last year's report... :spliff:

ysyap
20-05-11, 12:59
Revenue generation is a priority even for health. A doctor friend told me that even in the past more than 10 years ago, he was chastised by the CEO of the public hospital he was working in that he was spending too much time with the C class patients rather than the A class patients. That's why I think KBW $8 by pass is a joke.Yup.... my friend is the only surgeon in a clinic inside a hospital and was denied maternity leave even 1 week before expected date of delivery of her baby coz need to bring in $$$... very ironic... hospital supposed to help improve health and not a money generating tool.. while I can understand for private hospital, unfortunately this was a govt hospital... :tsk-tsk:

ysyap
20-05-11, 13:00
I will ensure there's a radical change in the whole system, more radical than what has been reported in the papers... join my A team.. come along this sat.. :o
Hope you can change all that when you are 'sworn-in' this sat.....;)

proper-t
20-05-11, 16:28
I will ensure there's a radical change in the whole system, more radical than what has been reported in the papers... join my A team.. come along this sat.. :o

Sure thing bro...with a chiobu shedevil (bro devilplate) and a third-eye (bro BJ21T), your team will be the ultimate.....

kingkong1984
20-05-11, 22:22
U just need me lah.

More EC and no 1 and 2 bedders....

devilplate
22-05-11, 10:53
Mbt, wks will get their pension peg according to their last drawn pay?

Minister pay will b revised soon...

ysyap
22-05-11, 11:23
Mbt, wks will get their pension peg according to their last drawn pay?

Minister pay will b revised soon...But they will not be affected lor... they actually very wise to quit now... they will always be known as the last ministers to rest on super high pension, probably only behind the other two ministers, MM and SM... Hmmm... they actually benefitted big time also... hahaha!!! :D

ysyap
22-05-11, 11:52
What could be the next housing policies?

By Sheena Chua

Did former Minister for National Development Mah Bow Tan relinquish his role to appease the public's dissatisfaction with rising housing prices?
The increasing cost of housing has been a much-debated topic of late. The policy by the People's Action Party (PAP) to make housing not just a living space, but also an asset, came under fire from opposition parties. Following a tough fight for the hearts and votes of Singaporeans in the General Elections earlier this month, PAP emerged victorious; the mandate, though waning, remained strong. Yet Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced a Cabinet reshuffle on Wednesday that saw Mah and two others voluntarily resign from their posts. Why then did Mah, together with Minister for National Security Wong Kan Seng and Transport Minister Raymond Lim, step down?

One possible explanation is that the PAP wants to show disgruntled Singaporeans that the government pays attention to their needs. In a survey conducted by Reach prior to the elections, around two-thirds of respondents expressed concern over the cost of living in Singapore, while half found public housing unaffordable (http://www.iproperty.com.sg/news/3231/Dissatisfaction-with-HDB,-Wait-for-Private-Homes-). Measures implemented by the government to cool the property market (http://www.iproperty.com.sg/news/2518/Putting-a-Lid-on-the-Property-Bubble?) managed to slow demand, but prices remain high and lower-income households still find it difficult to keep up with living costs. As such, Mah's retirement may be the consequence of the perceived inability of the ministry under his leadership to produce affordable housing.

Former nominated MP Zulkifli Baharuddin has observed a pattern of less popular ministers with lower vote percentages retiring. "If you look at the three, they have some of the lower percentages. PM Lee is really making ministers accountable" he told The Straits Times. Mah's departure could also signify an end to a dated governing style and — together with PAP's new batch of office holders — herald a move towards a more engaging approach to governance.

Meanwhile, former Minister for Health Khaw Boon Wan has inherited Mah's role as Minister for National Development. The million-dollar question now is what this Cabinet reshuffling will translate to in terms of housing policies. It seems likely that new policies — partially stemming from pressure by the six Workers' Party members seated in Parliament, who have promised strides towards affordable housing — will be implemented to either lower housing prices significantly, or make it such that struggling families can afford them.

One possible solution is to raise the income ceiling for families buying directly from HDB (http://blog.iproperty.com.sg/time-to-revisit-hdb-policies/). Currently, families who earn more than $8,000 are unable to purchase direct from HDB, while those earning between $8-10,000 can only purchase DBSS flats. The 'sandwiched class' — those with slightly higher incomes unable to purchase direct from HDB or qualify for direct loans from the government — would thus qualify for HDB units and avoid unnecessary loans and debts.

Whether these policies will be introduced, and what such changes will mean to the property market in Singapore remains to be seen. What is clear is that affordable housing has become perhaps the most important domestic issue facing Singaporeans today.

kingkong1984
22-05-11, 12:02
Bring back multi generation flats and let father mother have dual key to the wealth.

ysyap
22-05-11, 14:11
Bring back multi generation flats and let father mother have dual key to the wealth.Not possible lah... few young couples will accept that these days... :scared-4:

kingkong1984
22-05-11, 14:17
Not possible lah... few young couples will accept that these days... :scared-4:
Dual key... Very popular right?

taggy
22-05-11, 14:52
Dual key... Very popular right?

i remember one of friend told me dual keys good, straight away rent out 1 side :D

rattydrama
22-05-11, 15:15
But they will not be affected lor... they actually very wise to quit now... they will always be known as the last ministers to rest on super high pension, probably only behind the other two ministers, MM and SM... Hmmm... they actually benefitted big time also... hahaha!!! :D

minister pay revised down, ppty price follow suit??:scared-1:

taggy
22-05-11, 15:35

1 agent tell me to sell my unit, reason being "mah left liao, better to cash out the profit first"....:rolleyes:

Regulators
22-05-11, 15:36
The question is revise down by how much? Revising is not enough, they need to reduce by at least 50% to be considered as anything

kingkong1984
22-05-11, 15:38
What did I say? Change is inevitable. What goes up must come down, except ur age.

rattydrama
22-05-11, 15:38
1 agent tell me to sell my unit, reason being "mah left liao, better to cash out the profit first"....:rolleyes:

yes and no.......pap will not crash the market....agent may talk up/down the market to generate buying/selling interest with this kind of news ... decision decision... decision....

kingkong1984
22-05-11, 15:39
The question is revise down by how much? Revising is not enough, they need to reduce by at least 50% to be considered as anything
Too much, 1/3 already very good.

U suddenly revise so much down, means telling people u have been very well paid for a long long time.

My guess 20 percent with reduced bonus.

rattydrama
22-05-11, 15:40

like that better ask WP do the job.... they have more passion. lol

kingkong1984
22-05-11, 15:41
Do u seriously think that prices will go up further except maybe just by inflation led. The risk for downside is very big.

It's like buying shares, hit target price must sell, never time to sell at peak, sell when price is right.

rattydrama
22-05-11, 15:44
$ dont come easy now so ppty investment profits maybe slimmer under new minister and perhaps have to wait longer... unless u got razor sharp eyes can spot good projects.

high psf high risk
low psf low risk
high quantum high risk
low quantum low risk

taggy
22-05-11, 18:19
Do u seriously think that prices will go up further except maybe just by inflation led. The risk for downside is very big.

It's like buying shares, hit target price must sell, never time to sell at peak, sell when price is right.

Ok I reluctant to sell is actually bec rental is covering the installment well.
can any one tell me how the rental market going forward?

kingkong1984
22-05-11, 18:51
Rental is a dangerous thing.

Pro immigrant and foreign worker will result in more rental.

If pro local worker, rental will fall.

Do u expect that it will be tenanted always?

Komo
22-05-11, 19:28
Waiting for price down 20% and foreigners not eligible:D
So foreigners can only rent.

ysyap
22-05-11, 22:17
So foreigners can only rent.Keep on waiting... rich foreigners will not want to come if they cannot even buy... :doh:

ysyap
22-05-11, 22:21
Ok I reluctant to sell is actually bec rental is covering the installment well.
can any one tell me how the rental market going forward?How long more before tenancy expires? If another 2 years, then maybe can wait on but if its less than 1 year, its rather risky... anyway, housing markets usually takes couple of months to respond to policy changes. KBW may make a statement in the next 2 to 3 months otherwise it'll be a wait too long for many anticipating buyers/sellers... :cheers1:

I believe market will not crash. Maybe slight drop in price or just stagnate. I foresee more help for 1st timers... :spliff:

kingkong1984
23-05-11, 05:31
Keep on waiting... rich foreigners will not want to come if they cannot even buy... :doh:

We need rich foreigners. Agree that it will not be the case. Perhaps a restriction on additional properties if the first one is not fully repaid.

Or also introduce a capital gains tax

Or also introduce a new scheme that foreigners can only buy CCR? Maybe call it the integrated housing scheme since with have the integrated resorts.

Or selectively make some projects restricted and foreigners cannot buy, or buy up to 20 percent or buy only 6 floors up? So many ways. Maybe can even mandate buying to PRs only. Which means u get ur PR before u can buy. Wahahahaha

Hehehehe

ysyap
23-05-11, 06:38
We need rich foreigners. Agree that it will not be the case. Perhaps a restriction on additional properties if the first one is not fully repaid.

Or also introduce a capital gains tax

Or also introduce a new scheme that foreigners can only buy CCR? Maybe call it the integrated housing scheme since with have the integrated resorts.

Or selectively make some projects restricted and foreigners cannot buy, or buy up to 20 percent or buy only 6 floors up? So many ways. Maybe can even mandate buying to PRs only. Which means u get ur PR before u can buy. Wahahahaha

HeheheheGood, we can just keep providing suggestions so KBW and his team may read the forum and gain some interesting ideas... :o

teddybear
23-05-11, 08:12
How about foreigners (including PRs) cannot buy property <1000 sqft and <$2m? :banghead:

So foreigners can only rent.

ysyap
23-05-11, 09:10
Well this would b counter productive coz Singapore needs foreign money injection so if impose such restrictions, sure will backfire on economy.... But good... more suggestions are always welcomed... :)
How about foreigners (including PRs) cannot buy property <1000 sqft and <$2m? :banghead:

ay123
23-05-11, 09:49

those are brainless agent, i too received msg like sell now more drastic measure coming..... such remarks only show how stupid tat agent is. do u think property price move up/down becos of MBT?? who is he to command such impact. yes his cooling measure might dampen mkt a bit but not becos of his presence tat sustain property price. wat make them think KBW cannot do a better job than MBT??

ysyap
23-05-11, 11:09
those are brainless agent, i too received msg like sell now more drastic measure coming..... such remarks only show how stupid tat agent is. do u think property price move up/down becos of MBT?? who is he to command such impact. yes his cooling measure might dampen mkt a bit but not becos of his presence tat sustain property price. wat make them think KBW cannot do a better job than MBT??They didn't think KBW cannot or can do a better job. They are just finding every opportunity possible to earn commission... :spliff: Just doing their work.... lousy but still just doing it..:D

teddybear
23-05-11, 12:40
I suppose this is what they tell to:
1) Agent to seller: "More drastic measures coming, sell now, sell at whatever price that buyers want to buy!"
2) Agent to buyer: "Buy now, this is the best opportunity! With US still printing money like crazy, then Japan after the nuclear crisis and now Europe because of debt crisis of Ireland, Greece, danger with Spain, etc, more money will be printed and all these money will chase after hard assets and properties sure fly like crazy!"

Actually, (2) is true, still happening; (1) is just pure speculation :banghead:.

They didn't think KBW cannot or can do a better job. They are just finding every opportunity possible to earn commission... :spliff: Just doing their work.... lousy but still just doing it..:D

ysyap
23-05-11, 12:47
1) Agent to seller: "More drastic measures coming, sell now, sell at whatever price that buyers want to buy!"
2) Agent to buyer: "Buy now, this is the best opportunity! With US still printing money like crazy, then Japan after the nuclear crisis and now Europe because of debt crisis of Ireland, Greece, danger with Spain, etc, more money will be printed and all these money will chase after hard assets and properties sure fly like crazy!"

Actually, (2) is true, still happening; (1) is just pure speculation :banghead:.Ok... buy now... :D

proud owner
23-05-11, 14:50

Actually, (2) is true, still happening; (1) is just pure speculation :banghead:.

I think the new regulations, if any, will be yo make HDB very affordable n accessible to first the buyers.

So much so, the resale Cov will be dampened.

So much so that a big portion of up graders will be removed.

After all, HDB is subsidized prop, it's value will go up over time, but not overnight.

So that will impact private prop, if up graders have been a huge source of demand for priv prop

As for US printing money, I believe they have stopped....

hyenergix
24-05-11, 07:28
It is very likely for US to start printing money again via QE3 after June to inflate away its debt. I don't see why it should stop as inflation is still fairly low in US and it needs lots of money urgently to revive its GDP and lower unemployment rate. Teddy's point (2) is why many people have given up on savings and invest in the property market.

ysyap
24-05-11, 08:53
It is very likely for US to start printing money again via QE3 after June to inflate away its debt. I don't see why it should stop as inflation is still fairly low in US and it needs lots of money urgently to revive its GDP and lower unemployment rate. Teddy's point (2) is why many people have given up on savings and invest in the property market.US sure have to print more $$$. No question. Also going to up their debt ceiling... No end de... can't see US economy picking up over the next 2 years... sigh!!!! :sleep:

teddybear
24-05-11, 09:20
As we are talking now, more debt crisis from Europe has erupted. This time it is Greece. More paper money is needed to solve the problem. What is the easy way to solve the problem for now? Print more money lor! :beats-me-man:. What is paper money physical value? Many people associate real paper money value with gold but I believe it should be land.

So assuming previously we have $100T paper money circulating can buy 100B sqft of land (just for illustration), equivalent to $1000 psf. They print and print and now we have $500T paper money. As land can't be printed or grow like the paper money, shouldn't the land now be valued at $5000 psf? Simple logic right? :cheers1:

Obviously, the land (& hence property sitting on it) price will not increase so quickly as printing money but as the money get circulated around looking for "homes" of worthy assets to park in, land (& property) prices will increase (for now slowly because of many cooling measures being introduced) but ultimately it is a matter of time before equilibrium is reached to match the amount of paper money increase. People should just ignore all the noises (eg. cooling measures which tends to make it more difficult psychological to invest and make money. People who know how to ignore the "noises" make the most money) :p.

It is very likely for US to start printing money again via QE3 after June to inflate away its debt. I don't see why it should stop as inflation is still fairly low in US and it needs lots of money urgently to revive its GDP and lower unemployment rate. Teddy's point (2) is why many people have given up on savings and invest in the property market.

ysyap
24-05-11, 09:35
As we are talking now, more debt crisis from Europe has erupted. This time it is Greece. More paper money is needed to solve the problem. What is the easy way to solve the problem for now? Print more money lor! :beats-me-man:. What is paper money physical value? Many people associate real paper money value with gold but I believe it should be land.

So assuming previously we have $100T paper money circulating can buy 100B sqft of land (just for illustration), equivalent to $1000 psf. They print and print and now we have $500T paper money. As land can't be printed or grow like the paper money, shouldn't the land now be valued at $5000 psf? Simple logic right? :cheers1:

Obviously, the land (& hence property sitting on it) price will not increase so quickly as printing money but as the money get circulated around looking for "homes" of worthy assets to park in, land (& property) prices will increase (for now slowly because of many cooling measures being introduced) but ultimately it is a matter of time before equilibrium is reached to match the amount of paper money increase. People should just ignore all the noises (eg. cooling measures which tends to make it more difficult psychological to invest and make money. People who know how to ignore the "noises" make the most money) :p.An equilibrium will never be established. No way. By natural principles of economics, housing market lags all other industries. Then again your point to ignore noises is truly wisdom but the key to this wisdom is holding power. Only when one can hold on to the property, land will eventually appreciate. Qs is how long? 4yr SSD is reasonable amount of time for price appreciation in today's volatile market. Anything above that might be preferred for own stay... :o