that offer high trade-in for Cash

Thank

3C
19-07-11, 19:27
Its still not peak yet:D

hyenergix
25-07-11, 07:48
Gold price is above US$1600 now.

China is experiencing high inflation, US will start its stimulus programme again. Since Singapore imports lots of goods and labour from China, our costs will continue to go up. Interest rate tied to the US seems to remain quite low for the next 1 year. Our government has started to raise prices in sectors that it is controlling - energy (electricity), transport (fares, COEs and ERPs) and labour (foreign workers levy) - to counter inflation as it is a monopoly.

With HDB struggling to catch up with its construction, it will compete for resources with the private sector over the next 2-3 years, even in the face or increasing material and labour costs. I would expect continous upward pressure on property prices. 2H 2012 onwards may see owners and developers sitting on empty units (in fact you can see some of them now), much like in first-tier Chinese cities.

But I'm expecting goverment to quietly relax immigration policy again in 1-2 years' as I see that many businesses are suffering from lack of manpower.

DC33_2008
25-07-11, 08:53
It is quite obvious that FT gate will be reopen slowly with both ex MM Lee and Tony Tan highlighting this point recently.

China is experiencing high inflation, US will start its stimulus programme again. Since Singapore imports lots of goods and labour from China, our costs will continue to go up. Interest rate tied to the US seems to remain quite low for the next 1 year. Our government has started to raise prices in sectors that it is controlling - energy (electricity), transport (fares, COEs and ERPs) and labour (foreign workers levy) - to counter inflation as it is a monopoly.

With HDB struggling to catch up with its construction, it will compete for resources with the private sector over the next 2-3 years, even in the face or increasing material and labour costs. I would expect continous upward pressure on property prices. 2H 2012 onwards may see owners and developers sitting on empty units (in fact you can see some of them now), much like in first-tier Chinese cities.

But I'm expecting goverment to quietly relax immigration policy again in 1-2 years' as I see that many businesses are suffering from lack of manpower.

hyenergix
25-07-11, 09:37
Good chance tt US n EU companies relocate to Asia to tap e growth, as their own economy languishes. Afterall Asia is in need of infrastructure development, n e governments may increase investments there to promote GDP growth. US n EU companies can provide e technologies.

hyenergix
03-08-11, 22:17
Gold is hitting USD $1670. Interest rates have been lowered in Switzerland:

http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/viewtopic.php?t=450234

We are in the era of $ printing and currency devaluation.

Better grab some hold of some gold and property (40% downpayment) :)

ecimbew
03-08-11, 22:31

You mean I will be the only person staying in a block? Gasp!
:sleep:

hyenergix
03-08-11, 22:36
You mean I will be the only person staying in a block? Gasp!
:sleep:

That was almost what happened to the HDB blocks in Jurong many years back. The same might happen to pte properties in 1-2 years' time. If you drive along Orchard Road now, it is not difficult to find these relatively empty new condos. But prices are not falling thanks to low interest rates, which is likely to remain low for 1 more year.

hyenergix
08-08-11, 06:55
Gold is moving towards US$1700 per ounce. Fund managers, SWF and central banks could be rebalancing their portfolios into gold and other strong currencies. Good for our dollars, properties and wealth managers here. Not so good for manufacturing and export business for the next few years. I should have studied finance and not engineering :(

http://silver-and-gold-prices.goldprice.org/2011/08/look-for-lower-silver-and-gold-prices.html

hyenergix
08-08-11, 13:04
Finally surpassed US$1700. A lot of fear in the stock markets now...:eek:

Enjoy some articles from Forbes website:

http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspeculations/2011/08/07/full-coverage-sp-downgrades-u-s-credit-rating/

ecimbew
08-08-11, 15:28
Wow should have bought it 2 weeks ago!

DC33_2008
08-08-11, 22:43
Gold hit USD1700 now. :scared-1:
Wow should have bought it 2 weeks ago!

ecimbew
09-08-11, 08:00
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904140604576496240855718726.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

By TATYANA SHUMSKY

After last week's slip, gold reclaimed its title as the ultimate safe haven.

Gold got caught in a market-wide downdraft Thursday, as investors sold profitable gold holdings to cover losses in other assets, giving the precious metal a black eye. But Standard & Poor's decision late Friday to cut the U.S. government's credit rating restored gold's reputation as a haven whose risk profile is unblemished by political wrangling, excessive debt or central-bank interventions.

S&P's move helped propel gold futures to a record of $1,720 a troy ounce Monday, up more than $60 from Thursday's settlement. The contract for August delivery settled up $61.40, or 3.7%, at $1,710.20 a troy ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange.

The sharpest gains came as equity markets faltered, with gold spiking to record levels in after-market trading moments after the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 600 points.

Gold has held up as a bastion of safety this year, gaining more than 20% while stocks are deep in correction territory. And such protection is in high demand amid an uncertain economic outlook for the U.S. and globally and a strained European sovereign-debt market.

"You're going to see additional allocation to gold as the fiscal problems in developed countries that led to [recent market declines] are not going away anytime soon," said Ross Koestrich, iShares Global Chief Investment Strategist at BlackRock. "It is one of the few safe-haven assets left."

kingkong1984
09-08-11, 08:21
One day it will come crashing and u will live to regret.....

It's a natural cycle...

hyenergix
09-08-11, 08:47
Gold and properties are meant for buying when the price is reasonable to keep. At the moment, gold still has upward momentum bcoz the funds are still switching over to this safe haven. I believe over the next few years, US and EU companies will come to Asia (including Singapore) to look for business opportunities, and the US and EU residents will also settle down here instead of returning home. So properties are still a good bet, especially when our properties are denominated in strong SGD and partially backed by gold, which is another safe haven. Politically we are stable for the next 5 years. No other countries now offer this unique combination.

Rosy
09-08-11, 10:45
Gold hit USD1700 now. :scared-1:
Can try speculate silver future now:2cents:

DC33_2008
09-08-11, 11:11
Good idea. Silver has not moved much the last few days. When gold is too high, people will move to silver. :cheers1:
Can try speculate silver future now:2cents:

ecimbew
09-08-11, 11:21
Gold and properties are meant for buying when the price is reasonable to keep. At the moment, gold still has upward momentum bcoz the funds are still switching over to this safe haven. I believe over the next few years, US and EU companies will come to Asia (including Singapore) to look for business opportunities, and the US and EU residents will also settle down here instead of returning home. So properties are still a good bet, especially when our properties are denominated in strong SGD and partially backed by gold, which is another safe haven. Politically we are stable for the next 5 years. No other countries now offer this unique combination.

Ok I bet you are right.

hopeful
09-08-11, 11:45
....So properties are still a good bet, especially when our properties are denominated in strong SGD and partially backed by gold, which is another safe haven. Politically we are stable for the next 5 years. No other countries now offer this unique combination.

from wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_reserve
in Dec 2010, Singapore gold reserves is 127.4 ton, share of reserve only 2.5%. Is that considered strong backing by gold?

and politically stable, have to vote for TT in coming PE?

hyenergix
09-08-11, 11:48
Partially. Better than no gold. President
1st job is prob to use e reserve again.

DC33_2008
09-08-11, 11:57
TT only spend $. Look at NRF, giving out millions of Tax payers $ to Top Foreign Universities to do research. :scared-3:
from wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_reserve
in Dec 2010, Singapore gold reserves is 127.4 ton, share of reserve only 2.5%. Is that considered strong backing by gold?

and politically stable, have to vote for TT in coming PE?

kingkong1984
09-08-11, 15:47
Partially. Better than no gold. President
1st job is prob to use e reserve again.

We will surely Call for it in it's term.

ecimbew
09-08-11, 16:07
TT only spend $. Look at NRF, giving out millions of Tax payers $ to Top Foreign Universities to do research. :scared-3:

Has TT won yet? From what I gather so far, older folks are pro-TT because he is more prominent. Looks like 60% will vote for TT. :doh:

land118
09-08-11, 17:10
Take a look at the link below...And the chart in the actual link

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/04/gold_reserves

Bullion for you
Apr 27th 2011, 16:15 by The Economist online

Where the world's gold is held

THE creditworthiness of a country used to be judged by the level of its gold reserves. Under the gold standard, a fall in reserves would lead to the central bank taking crisis measures. The country with the biggest reserves in the world is, not surprisingly, America, with 8,134 tonnes. But expressed in terms of reserves per person, the picture looks very different. It is no surprise to see Switzerland at the top of the list, but why is Lebanon in second place? Its reserves were purchased when the country was the Middle East’s financial centre in the 1960s and 1970s and safeguarded through the civil war years by legal restrictions and by central-bank governor Edmond Naim, who according to legend slept in the bank to protect the hoard. China does not feature in the list at all; but gold bugs fantasise about what might happen if the people’s republic were to swap just some of its mountain of Treasury bonds for bullion.

land118
09-08-11, 17:19
China 6th largest but aim to surpass US..in gold

http://crisisboom.com/2011/05/24/china-aims-to-surpass-us-in-physical-gold-reserves/

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/world-news/china-becomes-world39s-sixth-largest-gold-holder_574034.html

China becomes world's sixth-largest gold holder
Published on Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 14:59 |* Source : PTI
Updated at Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 16:36 *

China has become the world's sixth-largest gold holder as the country seeks to diversify its reserve assets away from the US dollar, data showed today.
China's gold holdings came to 1054.1 tons as of March this year, according to the finance ministry, which cited data from the World Gold Council (WCG). The amount is nearly one-eighth of the US reserve.
The world's No 2 economy had maintained a gold reserve of 600 tons for the six years prior to 2009. The London-based WGC is an international non-profit organisation that provides investors around the world with key information about gold.
The United States topped the list by holding 8,133.5 tons of gold, followed by Germany with 3,406.8 tons. The International Monetary Fund, Italy and France came next with 3,005.3 tons, 2,451.8 tons and 2,435.4 tons, respectively, the
ministry said.
China's gold holdings only account for 1.6%, or around USD 55 billion, of the country's total reserve assets of USD 3 trillion.
Cold has proved to be one of the most attractive investment assets, especially amid the financial and economic crises over the past years.
Market analysts see that China has a lot of room to increase its gold reserve.
More Chinese economists and advisers have suggested that the country's central bank should increase its gold reserves as a hedge against the falling values of other currencies.
China claimed earlier that its foreign exchange reserves suffered a loss of USD 271.1 billion on its reserves between 2003 and 2010, the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) said in a report.
The country is likely to lose USD 578.6 billion if the US dollar's exchange rate sinks to 6 yuan a dollar, said Zhang Anyuan, the head of the fiscal and financial policy research division of the NDRC.
The yuan surged to its highest level against the US dollar today following the recent decision by the global rating appraiser Standard and Poor's Ratings Service (S&P) to downgrade the US government's long-term debt.
The central People's Bank of China set the yuan's central parity rate at 6.4305 against the greenback, the highest since July 21, 2005, when China abandoned a decade-old peg against the greenback and shifted to a managed floating exchange rate.

Rysk
09-08-11, 23:30
http://www.goldprice.org/
Gold price already crossed US$1700.. & hit as high as US$1775 in intraday

land118
09-08-11, 23:59
Wonder if the Chinese goverrnment is stocking more....

DC33_2008
10-08-11, 08:46
It will correct today.

Rysk
10-08-11, 11:21
It will correct today.

Correct downward?? Correct to how much??
Now the price is at US$1756

hyenergix
11-08-11, 00:39
France is next in line for downgrading:
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/195669/20110810/sarkozy-france-downgrade-fears.htm

More upward pressure for gold, which is nearly hitting US$1800/ ounce today. Very soon "Singapore" will become a global brand for stability :) Hope GIC and Temasek are managing our CPF and reserves wisely.

Jonathan0503
11-08-11, 13:10
I have some investment in gold related equity funds and the value has also nose-dived these few days, following the trend of the stock market.

Anybody knows why that's the case even though gold price has sky-rocketed recently?

land118
12-08-11, 06:23
http://www.cnbc.com/id/44110093

[B]As Gold Briefly Hits $1,800, Traders Fear Party Is Ending[/B

Published: Thursday, 11 Aug 2011 | 4:23 PM ET Text Size
By: John Melloy
Executive Producer, Fast Money & Strategy Session

As gold topped a record $1800 on Wednesday, traders that are long gold [GCCV1* 1751.50* ---* UNCH* * ] began to get nervous that they were behind a trade that may not have any potential new buyers left. After all, a trade only keeps working if you can find someone else who wants that particularly security or commodity at a higher price.

First let’s look at the cold data.

On Aug. 2, holding by large gold speculators—namely hedge funds—hit “readings that are the highest ever in our records,” stated a Bank of America Merrill Lynch analysis of CFTC data.

The $40.6 billion notional value of gold contracts held by speculators was up from $38.1 billion a week earlier, according to the Merrill Lynch number crunching.

But more importantly, the chatter on trading floors is about a fear that the market turmoil lately could trigger large hedge funds to raise money by selling one of the few things working for them: gold.

kingkong1984
12-08-11, 06:37
Better run fast... Hahahaha

They switch from equity to gold, once equity is too low....then....

Press another trigger and wipe up billions and trillions from the system again...

Fools gold is the right description after that.

hyenergix
12-08-11, 06:58
The price now is driven by fear. I suppose it could stabilise around US$1600-1700 per ounce, then gradually appreciate as central banks increase their holdings. However if there is a QE3 or another developed country downgrade, it might shoot past US$2000.

hyenergix
12-08-11, 07:01
I have some investment in gold related equity funds and the value has also nose-dived these few days, following the trend of the stock market.

Anybody knows why that's the case even though gold price has sky-rocketed recently?

If they are really based on gold prices or companies, then they should go up. Probably they are not.

hyenergix
23-08-11, 07:59
Gold has finally crossed $1900! Everyone is looking for safe haven.

DC33_2008
23-08-11, 08:25
Gold to cross US$2000 by end of the year? Will there be a major correction after this weekend?
Gold has finally crossed $1900! Everyone is looking for safe haven.

devilplate
23-08-11, 09:45
Gold to cross US$2000 by end of the year? Will there be a major correction after this weekend?

i read some reports expecting 2500 by yr end...wow

BUY BUY BUY....hahaha:hell-hath-no-fury:

hyenergix
23-08-11, 09:50
Psychologically it is v near $2000. I expect it to b over this point in e next few weeks. Now juz waiting for more riots in Europe n US to cause price to go up further.

DC33_2008
24-08-11, 08:08
Gold drop last nite by more than $50 becos DJ went up 322points. Is the STI going to chiong today?

kingkong1984
24-08-11, 14:53
Gold drop last nite by more than $50 becos DJ went up 322points. Is the STI going to chiong today?

no signs... cheong in the morning but heh heh heh... bad luck

DC33_2008
03-09-11, 21:01
Gold to surpass US$1950 next week?

hyenergix
03-09-11, 21:32
Gold to surpass US$1950 next week?

As we near end of the year, prices may go higher due to traditional demand from India, China and other Asia countries. I suppose if QE3 is announced, US$2000 per ounce is easily surpassed.

hyenergix
15-12-11, 06:01
Whao gold has finally dropped below USD1600 per ounce. Traditional demand from China is restricted due to liquidity tightening. For India, its currency is weakened, making gold purchase expensive.

http://www.beaconequity.com/smw/16924/Gold-Prices-Drop-Below-1-600-an-Ounce-Silver-Prices-Tumble-

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/266134/20111213/gold-demand-bullion-prices-drop-asia-physical.htm

phantom_opera
15-12-11, 07:36
I told u it is led by china and india, china A going to hit 2200 today, oil down 5% also

kane
15-12-11, 07:38
Where are your target trading buy levels for you guys?

phantom_opera
15-12-11, 07:41
Monitor eurusd and china A

hyenergix
15-12-11, 07:45
It's ok. I was waiting for e dip to buy. Now it looks more platable.

devilplate
15-12-11, 07:59
some say gold safe haven........

hyenergix
28-12-11, 15:48
OMG! UOB is running out of gold during this period. I bought some today :D Quite a bit of queue at the counter. Better grab while stock last because next re-stock could be weeks or months away.

DC33_2008
28-12-11, 16:30
Is it the right time to buy? What is the US$ exchange rate UOB gave you?

hyenergix
28-12-11, 16:46
Is it the right time to buy? What is the US$ exchange rate UOB gave you?

My target price is below US $1600 per ounce, so I'm quite comfortable with the current price. US and EU are just kicking the bucket down the road, so I expect more troubles and panic ahead. The price is published here: http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/investments/treasury/precious_metals.html

DC33_2008
28-12-11, 16:50
But $US has gone up at 1.30 against S$ when you purchase it today. Does it make sense? Should you not have bought it when $US is much lower?
My target price is below US $1600 per ounce, so I'm quite comfortable with the current price. US and EU are just kicking the bucket down the road, so I expect more troubles and panic ahead. The price is published here: http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/investments/treasury/precious_metals.html

devilplate
28-12-11, 16:55
keep cash bestest for now

hyenergix
28-12-11, 16:57
But $US has gone up at 1.30 against S$ when you purchase it today. Does it make sense? Should you not have bought it when $US is much lower?

Run out of Vit M then as it was used to pay for the downpayment of an apartment. Now got more savings and I'm in a mood to buy gold as a gift to my family. There is actually no logic about the forex as physical gold is monopolised by UOB and they bought it long ago in batches i.e. it's all wayang.

DC33_2008
28-12-11, 16:57
Yup. Saving bullets.:D

hyenergix
28-12-11, 16:58
keep cash bestest for now

Dun worry, I still have plenty of buffer :)

hyenergix
30-12-11, 05:59
Gold at 5-month low after peaking at US$1,900 an ounce
The Canadian Press
Thu Dec 29, 04:50 PM
http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20111229/gold-at5-month-low-after-peaking-at-1900-an-ounce-111229.html

The price of gold is heading into 2012 at a five-month low after peaking at an all-time high above US$1,900 an ounce back in the summer.

A strengthening U.S. dollar, continuing turmoil in Europe and investment funds selling their positions after the earlier run-up have all contributed to the decline, experts say.

Dennis Gartman, publisher of a widely followed investment letter, believes the run-up in the price of gold is over.

"Too many people were just categorically too long on gold and are being liquidated out," he said in an interview.

"You have a large number of hedge funds who are caught completely offside and the margin clerks have very sharp pencils right now."

The February gold contract on the New York Mercantile Exchange closed down $23.20 at US$1,540.90 Thursday, although it remains well up from where it began the year at just under US$1,400 an ounce.

Gartman said investors are realizing the austerity measures to deal with the government debt crisis in Europe will be deflationary -- not inflationary -- and are selling gold, a traditional hedge against inflation.

Hedge funds that were betting the price of gold would head even higher are also selling their positions, pushing the price down even further, he said.

"If you're a large hedge fund and known to be long on gold you really don't have much choice but to sell some so that you can say 'oh no, look I was actually getting out,"' Gartman said.

Bart Melek, head of commodity strategy at TD Securities, was quick to point out that investors who bought gold at the beginning of the year and held on to their investment are up about nine per cent.

He noted that the U.S. dollar and the value of gold tend to have an inverse relationship. If one goes up, the other goes down.

"What we've seen recently is the U.S. currency move up quite a bit and that's happening for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that Europe is in recession," he said.

The price of gold, which is traded in U.S. dollars, also headed lower as the U.S. dollar has gained strength in recent days against the euro. A stronger U.S. dollar makes gold more expensive for buyers with euros.

Melek said his bank's call for the price of gold in the first quarter of 2012 is for about where it its now, but he expects it to rally next year as the European Central Bank finally steps in and helps resolve the ongoing financial crisis.

A recent survey by consulting and auditing firm PwC found 80 per cent of gold miners expected the price of gold to go higher in 2012, with a majority expecting a peak at US$2,000 an ounce.

The same survey a year ago found 73 per cent of the miners predicted an increase in the price of gold with 24 per cent believing it would remain about the same. Forty per cent in 2010 believed gold would peak at around $1,500.

However, Gartman suggested that it will be months before the public ventures back into the gold market, noting that stocks have outperformed gold.

"I think a lot of damage has been done. A lot of psychological damage has been done," he said.

"The public has been burned very badly by gold in the last three months."

devilplate
30-12-11, 09:32
Dun worry, I still have plenty of buffer :)
tot u mentioned tat u hoot a ppty this yr and no more bullets to hoot another one?

hyenergix
30-12-11, 09:44
tot u mentioned tat u hoot a ppty this yr and no more bullets to hoot another one?

I have to put aside cash to fund the cost of my coffin and death procession :scared-5: Any additional cash I earn now will go toward paying down the property loan and gold. I will sleep better at night this way!

kane
30-12-11, 12:45
Your tenants help you replenish your buffer? Lol.

hyenergix
30-12-11, 13:28
Your tenants help you replenish your buffer? Lol.

Dun believe everything I write here. I'm just living my fantasy as a property owner and investor in this virtual world... Here's my profile:

Job: Programme coordinator (surfing net in between tasks)
Pay: $2,550 per month (not a lot but can get by)

hyenergix
14-01-12, 21:22
Since I bought about 3 weeks ago, gold price has increased. China is opening new gold mines at high production cost. The prospect looks good to me. Is this a bubble? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Arcachon
14-01-12, 23:05
Since I bought about 3 weeks ago, gold price has increased. China is opening new gold mines at high production cost. The prospect looks good to me. Is this a bubble? Maybe yes, maybe no.

You are very "tradition" according to Ben.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-07-13/markets/30078871_1_monetary-policy-central-banks-asset-class

Arcachon
14-01-12, 23:35
http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4edb70a56bb3f7b433000030/debt.jpg

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-12-04/markets/30473957_1_household-debt-uk-safe-haven

hyenergix
24-01-12, 15:19
Go for gold... The Chinese government is secretly buying and has banned gold export. The Chinese and Indian common folks are also buying.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2012/01/11/dont-believe-in-gold-thats-ok-just-leave-it-to-the-chinese/?partner=yahootix

kane
24-01-12, 15:23
Gold's primary draw compares from the prospect of QE-"infinity".

hyenergix
27-01-12, 06:22
Prices are rallying up. The Chinese are generally still on CNY, if not demand and prices might be higher.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/gold-rallies-on-feds-low-rates-pledge-20120127-1qkal.html

hyenergix
28-01-12, 06:55
Even hedge funds are getting into gold. Looks like QE3 (US and globally) is a certainty this year. This will drive inflation to a new level i.e. materials costs. Savers will be eaten alive. Older generation are more adverse to stocks but favor more gold and (new launch) property. I think liquidity will flow into these two areas this year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/27/us-markets-precious-idUSTRE7AK1M520120127

hyenergix
02-02-12, 21:34
If QE is done globally for the next 1-2 years, gold price will continue to climb. Paper money will devalue with respect to real assets. MAS may have no choice but to devalue our SGD to maintain export competitiveness. Raw material, energy and labour costs will soar. A good chance current launches might become under-valued if price increase is muted this year, because future properties become more costly to build in the next few years.

http://rt.com/business/news/gold-price-forecast-2012-329/

hyenergix
10-02-12, 03:07
Watch out for QE this year, and here's how to benefit from it potentially.

http://community.nasdaq.com/News/2012-01/was-george-soros-right-to-buy-gold-gld-uso-slv.aspx?storyid=112379

Our govt is regulating the properties *very* strictly, unwise to go in for investment. There might be a short period of mini run-up in property prices this year due to US presidential election. But overall I think it will be tough after that.

DC33_2008
17-02-12, 15:21
Gold investment is exempted from GST as mentioned in the Budget. Great.

amk
17-02-12, 15:46
Yes just read that too. Very interesting now :)

hyenergix
17-02-12, 16:20
Strange policy. UOB and the commercial gold sellers (pegged to UOB bank's gold price) will just increase their spread to cream off the savings of GST. Key beneficiaries are likely the commercial gold sellers.

hyenergix
17-02-12, 16:27
I feel a bit poorer after reading the 2012 Budget. Where is the money for the SMEs going to come from?

http://business.asiaone.com/Business/News/My%2BMoney/Story/A1Story20120217-328545.html

hopeful
17-02-12, 18:59
Gold investment is exempted from GST as mentioned in the Budget. Great.

you mean UOB physical gold bar exempted from GST?

hopeful
17-02-12, 19:03
Singapore govt want to promote gold trading hub?

check singstats
http://www.singstat.gov.sg/sdds/data.html
government holdings of gold (including gold deposits and if appropriate, gold swapped) only US$211.7million as of 2012-jan.
thats only 0.1% of their total US$245 billion reserves.

richwang
17-02-12, 19:50
https://uniservices1.uobgroup.com/secure/online_rates/gold_and_silver_prices.jsp

UOB has not narrowed the spread yet, but I believe they will soon narrow it to be in line with HK.

I almost took an airplane to HK because the saving of GST is well more than the air ticket price.

We will see people queuing in UOB basement rather than show rooms.

Thanks,
Richard

DC33_2008
17-02-12, 20:14
Garment wants people to diversified risk.
https://uniservices1.uobgroup.com/secure/online_rates/gold_and_silver_prices.jsp

UOB has not narrowed the spread yet, but I believe they will soon narrow it to be in line with HK.

I almost took an airplane to HK because the saving of GST is well more than the air ticket price.

We will see people queuing in UOB basement rather than show rooms.

Thanks,
Richard

richwang
17-02-12, 20:54
http://bank.hangseng.com/1/2/rates/gold-prices

1 Ounce - Buy 14,105 HKD Sell 14,155 HKD (just 50 HKD or 0.35% spread).

With 7% GST, there is no way for Singapore bank to compete.

Good move to remove the GST.

Thanks,
Richard

hyenergix
14-03-12, 22:32
Now hitting US$1600 per ounce, but approaching from the downward direction. Is the US job market really so rosy?

hyenergix
15-03-12, 08:06
My sense is US economy will be growing very slowly for the next 1-2 years. Being a major trading partner with Singapore, it means that our economy wont be doing too bad either. We are likely to be in a state of equilibrium on property, but with condo launches near MRT stations capitalising on the higher COE, fuel and vehicular taxes.

hyenergix
19-03-12, 07:39
No wonder gold didn't hit below US$1600 per ounce because central banks are buying by tonnes recently. Value of paper money is definitely declining.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/16/us-gold-central-banks-idUSBRE82F1C720120316 (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/16/us-gold-central-banks-idUSBRE82F1C720120316)

Lower and middle classes are affected by devaluation of their money, but they have little alternatives because property prices are high and interest rates are low, and gold is not cheap either. This is an era when it is hard to accumulate wealth for the lower and middle classes.