PDA

View Full Version : Gold plunge, sell or hold?

Montaigne
25-09-11, 11:42
Dear peeps, I need advices. I bought 2 lots of gold at $1770 when it falls from $18XX. Now gold prices dropped to $1650. If I sell, I will realise a loss of about 10k. If I hold, I risk a margin call at a price of $1200, as I have $50k buffer in the futures account. So if I really hold and gold price drop to $1200, I will lose $50k. I am planning to hold for a year or two and wait for price to rebound, interest rate per lot is $1k per year. How is your view on this? Please help. Thank you.

howgozit
25-09-11, 12:02
Jadey is the gold expert.

devilplate
25-09-11, 12:09
Will qe3 help to push up gold px again?

monsieur2
25-09-11, 12:51
my two cents, if you are seeking advice from forum on gold futures, it is best to stay out from the market.

i used to make money on corn futures. i liquidated all positions once i realised that i made money cos i was just lucky, too lucky.

kane
25-09-11, 16:28
The gold chart looks ugly. Was thinking of of a put on gold, but the premium was pretty high. The $100 drop in gold last Friday was a bit of a surprise.

hyenergix
25-09-11, 19:08
Dear peeps, I need advices. I bought 2 lots of gold at $1770 when it falls from $18XX. Now gold prices dropped to $1650. If I sell, I will realise a loss of about 10k. If I hold, I risk a margin call at a price of $1200, as I have $50k buffer in the futures account. So if I really hold and gold price drop to $1200, I will lose $50k. I am planning to hold for a year or two and wait for price to rebound, interest rate per lot is $1k per year. How is your view on this? Please help. Thank you.

If u can convert to real certified gold, u can pm me as I'm planning to buy some physical gold ;-) At a discount...

heroes
25-09-11, 20:10
If you play with margin, pls remember money management,chart n emotion. I think gold hv a strong support at 1400. But when stock crash gold will follow...remember when 2008 gold also drop.

1000g
25-09-11, 23:38

Doubt it will correct to $1200. Hold. 10K you lose now can last 10years?

devilplate
25-09-11, 23:42
Futures r not meant to buy and hold

Only those who bot physical gold to hold

Geylang OKT
26-09-11, 00:09
If you are asking for such advice in a property forum, thench you shouldn't be trading gold at all. Sell. :scared-3:

kane
26-09-11, 00:13
not having stop loss levels when trading on margin is very dangerous.

Montaigne
26-09-11, 07:39

Thank you, what u said make sense. I will choose to believe that within this 10 years and at one point, I can at least breakeven. This will be my last game. Big mistake... TWICE. Lost and realised 8k in July.

hyenergix
26-09-11, 09:12
If you hold for too long, it will be $2k per year of holding cost. It is not worth the trouble to buy paper gold. US$1800 you still see gold shops in China packed like crazy. Current price seems to be a discount.

Laguna
26-09-11, 09:40
I would say, ur not a disciplined trader. It will be a long and costly lesson for u to learn the meaning of a disciplined trader. Go and get some good books on this.

It was read about a month ago, the first level to buy is US$1650. Someone PM me two weeks on this and i told him that.

But looking at the way gold move, I will still not going long at US$1650.

The program trading by the hedge funds is scary.

hyenergix
26-09-11, 10:02
The world is getting more politically unstable and stagflationary. Good to stock up on gold. I'm comfortable with buying at US$1600 or lower.

devilplate
26-09-11, 10:05
The world is getting more politically unstable and stagflationary. Good to stock up on gold. I'm comfortable with buying at US$1600 or lower.

i actually expect gold to drop somemore....

qe3 not coming....usd will rise abit more i tink.....den gold will drop somemore:2cents:

i tink us govt wana keep their inflation low now so tat they can continue to keep int rate low?

DC33_2008
26-09-11, 10:10
Will move in when gold drops to US$1200.

qe3 not coming....usd will rise abit more i tink.....den gold will drop somemore:2cents:

i tink us govt wana keep their inflation low now so tat they can continue to keep int rate low?

hyenergix
26-09-11, 10:16

I'm monitoring the gold price now to see if it can be further discounted.

IMF will be running short of money soon.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8779510/IMF-Banks-need-more-cash-to-hedge-against-euro-crisis.html

Not sure which countries they will be asking for money to top up.
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread756846/pg1

Laguna
26-09-11, 10:51
see how it tests US$1500 first

Central banks have been building up their gold holdings since last year. It is about time to unload to cover up the debts..wait for IMF gold sales first

Laguna
26-09-11, 11:04
Thank you, what u said make sense. I will choose to believe that within this 10 years and at one point, I can at least breakeven. This will be my last game. Big mistake... TWICE. Lost and realised 8k in July.

To put it the other way round
ur now bearish in gold...
u need to remember, gold cycle is the longest among all asset class...

gap969
26-09-11, 11:10
There are monthly expiration on the gold futures contract.
Hence if you are going to hold this position for a long term you would have to roll this position into the next contract month on a monthly basis.

Plus position will be marked to settle daily hence your margin call could come sooner than later.

Have a stop in place

Montaigne
26-09-11, 11:41
There are monthly expiration on the gold futures contract.
Hence if you are going to hold this position for a long term you would have to roll this position into the next contract month on a monthly basis.

Plus position will be marked to settle daily hence your margin call could come sooner than later.

Have a stop in place

I bought gold via POEMS mini forex futures, I am not aware that contract expires every month as I thought I can hold and just wait. Will check this out. Thanks. This is the worst decision I had made so far... Bad move..

Laguna
26-09-11, 12:20
I bought gold via POEMS mini forex futures, I am not aware that contract expires every month as I thought I can hold and just wait. Will check this out. Thanks. This is the worst decision I had made so far... Bad move..

Since u mention u need to pay interest, most likely will be the spot gold rather than Comex gold. I dun trade spot gold. But u need to check, if u need to pay interest, which I think is 2%, but not sure whether it is per month or per annual, whether compounded or not, is it on the margin or contract sum? U also need to top up margin call if needed.

There is another indicator for gold traders. This is the price difference between gold price and gold mine stocks. Historically, these two indexes were very very close to each other. Recently, due to the sharp drop of equity, the disparity is 30% (this reading was taken two weeks before when I did the research), too big to be in the comfort zone. Equity will be down further...so...to close the gap, gold must go down to close the gap..

for u, I can only borrow one famous phrase
"I duno what to say"

devilplate
26-09-11, 12:24
There is another indicator for gold traders. This is the price difference between gold price and gold mine stocks. Historically, these two indexes were very very close to each other. Recently, due to the sharp drop of equity, the disparity is 30% (this reading was taken two weeks before when I did the research), too big to be in the comfort zone. Equity will be down further...so...to close the gap, gold must go down to close the gap..

"I duno what to say"

totally agree the indicator;)

For montagine, i usually place stop loss 10% below my purchase px.....up to u to set.....some set 5%, some 10 and some 15%:D

devilplate
26-09-11, 12:26
Gold stll dropping....still finding its bottom....1620 now

Silver 28+ neow! Can hit 20? I surely fry fry :D

DC33_2008
26-09-11, 12:28
Asian indices are down. Are you going to buy physical gold and silver?
Gold stll dropping....still finding its bottom....1620 now

Silver 28+ neow! Can hit 20? I surely fry fry :D

devilplate
26-09-11, 12:53
Asian indices are down. Are you going to buy physical gold and silver?
Buy some physical gold and gold shares

For silvers, i only fry futures....silver got ppl buy physical one meh....hehe

hyenergix
26-09-11, 13:39
Gold price now is US$1594!

Laguna
26-09-11, 13:51
there will be lots of margin calls..and margin will be up again

phantom_opera
26-09-11, 14:11
Silver down more than 14% today :eek:

Dow futures -80

hyenergix
27-09-11, 17:41
I was going to buy, what e heck, today it bounces back above $1600.

devilplate
27-09-11, 18:20
I was going to buy, what e heck, today it bounces back above $1600.
Can buy now bcoz gold can hit 3000 within few yrs.... Jadey says so:D

howgozit
27-09-11, 18:37

what... 3000 only? I thought Jadey said 4000...:confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?p=190878#post190878

"how fast gold goes up will depend on how quickly US$ depreciate.

Unless we have a global currency to replace US$, else I dont think there is anything that can prevent gold from hitting 4000 in the next 5 to 10 years."

devilplate
27-09-11, 18:44
what... 3000 only? I thought Jadey said 4000...:confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?p=190878#post190878

"how fast gold goes up will depend on how quickly US$ depreciate.

Unless we have a global currency to replace US$, else I dont think there is anything that can prevent gold from hitting 4000 in the next 5 to 10 years."

Tks for the correction...hehe:cheers6:

Just buy la! 4000! Now 16xx cheap cheap lelong:D

ysyap
27-09-11, 19:18
I was going to buy, what e heck, today it bounces back above $1600.Buy or not is a very personal choice... it'll look like a steal if it bounces back to 18xx in next couple of months. Gold price is flunctuating primarily because the other investment options in market are increasingly improving. Gold will pick up again once Greek defaults next month (just my guess). :D

DC33_2008
27-09-11, 21:03
Buy from where? UOB?
Buy or not is a very personal choice... it'll look like a steal if it bounces back to 18xx in next couple of months. Gold price is flunctuating primarily because the other investment options in market are increasingly improving. Gold will pick up again once Greek defaults next month (just my guess). :D

mygeemeel
27-09-11, 22:59
Buy from where? UOB?

Buy from Mustafa. :D

Regulators
27-09-11, 23:44
Sekali mustafa mix fool's gold with real gold
Buy from Mustafa. :D

ysyap
28-09-11, 03:53
Cheap TVs, cheap radios, cheap gold bars! LOL! :tongue3:

hyenergix
28-09-11, 06:58

Impossible to me, unless there is a major war or the financial system is collapsing. Beware of buying physical gold in the form of jewellery if it is for store of value rather than for gift. I'm not a gold expert, just have a keen interest in the glittering metal.

Laguna
29-09-11, 08:34
If u want high leverage, the go for spot or comex gold
Looking at the way it moves, high chance of testing $1500..

hyenergix
29-09-11, 09:07
Whether UOB lowers its price when gold hits $1500 is another question. Why other banks are not selling physical gold?

devilplate
29-09-11, 09:44
Whether UOB lowers its price when gold hits $1500 is another question. Why other banks are not selling physical gold?
Uob do adjust their gold rates accordingly....but of coz big elephant spread la:D

DC33_2008
29-09-11, 09:53
Do you know the procedure of the purchase? Is it like buying physical gold from a goldsmith shop? Just pay cash and collect the gold bar.
Uob do adjust their gold rates accordingly....but of coz big elephant spread la:D

hopeful
29-09-11, 11:52
Do you know the procedure of the purchase? Is it like buying physical gold from a goldsmith shop? Just pay cash and collect the gold bar.

Funny thing happen to me once. I bought a 1kg gold bar from UOB and received a gold bar casted in Indonesia. I asked the teller about it. She says its ok. Just don't remove the seal.

DC33_2008
29-09-11, 13:01
Only accept SGD? How about US$?
Funny thing happen to me once. I bought a 1kg gold bar from UOB and received a gold bar casted in Indonesia. I asked the teller about it. She says its ok. Just don't remove the seal.

gap969
29-09-11, 13:50
Since u mention u need to pay interest, most likely will be the spot gold rather than Comex gold. I dun trade spot gold. But u need to check, if u need to pay interest, which I think is 2%, but not sure whether it is per month or per annual, whether compounded or not, is it on the margin or contract sum? U also need to top up margin call if needed.

"I duno what to say"

If via POEMS it would be spot gold and yes they have a finance charge on long positions which is charged daily.

Stick to trading gold on COMEX or even TOCOM
And if you are doing long term do the monthly rollover of position.:D

Montaigne
29-09-11, 19:58
My property dream crash for the moment.. My family just knew about it. Was too rash and hoping for quick profit via spot gold. Now cashflow got problem cannot fund the initial cash deposit. Have to stay with in laws for maybe another year or two if I really lost all the $$......Costliest mistake ever made...

amk
29-09-11, 20:20
My property dream crash for the moment.. My family just knew about it. Was too rash and hoping for quick profit via spot gold. Now cashflow got problem cannot fund the initial cash deposit. Have to stay with in laws for maybe another year or two if I really lost all the $$......Costliest mistake ever made...

Cheer up, dun feel that way. U already long on a pte property rite ? So this gold is more like a hedge for you. If the global financial crisis really happens, gold will go above ur level, u should be able to profit from that. If everything eventually turns out well, crisis averted, ur pty value will continue to go up. Ur total position is probably not much different. It's a hedge not a gamble.

Laguna
29-09-11, 20:39

Let think from another angle
1. it is better to make a mistake while ur young than old
2. u hv the understanding from your family
3. the lesson is costly and painful but it worths its value in your life long

It is nvr too late..just move on....
I had even made much more costly mistakes before in trading....

Montaigne
29-09-11, 20:55
Let think from another angle
1. it is better to make a mistake while ur young than old
2. u hv the understanding from your family
3. the lesson is costly and painful but it worths its value in your life long

It is nvr too late..just move on....
I had even made much more costly mistakes before in trading....

Thanks, I will move on. Just felt quite upset that the savings that I have accumulate over these few years of work just gone like that.. I upset my family becos of this. Quite sad. I am glad that they are quite forgiving despite knowing that we need to trouble them to stay with them for another year or so.

hyenergix
29-09-11, 21:41

Staying w in laws is good, bcoz everyone can take care of each other. Buy phy gold is safer bcoz u need 100% cash tt ensures u can afford n it is always urs in times of needs. Juz work harder to recoup e losses. If u r young, time is money. U will have plenty of money again.

hopeful
29-09-11, 22:41

buck up, continue playing with gold and silver.
If you stop playing, you cannot recover the losses.
you want to be middle income all your life?

always remember, there is no difference in lifestyle between a person with assets $1mil and a person with $2mil. but there is a difference with a person with assets with $10mil.

those who bought gold at peak in 2008 (just before the crash) is smiling now. the next gold peak will be higher than 1920.

august
30-09-11, 00:43
is it that costly? cos gold spot went down but USD(against SGD) went up mah

Laguna
30-09-11, 08:29
buck up, continue playing with gold and silver.
If you stop playing, you cannot recover the losses.
you want to be middle income all your life?

always remember, there is no difference in lifestyle between a person with assets $1mil and a person with $2mil. but there is a difference with a person with assets with $10mil.

those who bought gold at peak in 2008 (just before the crash) is smiling now. the next gold peak will be higher than 1920.

can u give calls to her/him to guarantee return?
even huge hedge funds making losses....
if he continues, he may end up with loan shark and divorce as well

DC33_2008
30-09-11, 08:31
As you see he is hopeful.

hopeful
30-09-11, 08:41
is it that costly? cos gold spot went down but USD(against SGD) went up mah
if he is playing with Phillips, Montaigne is using leverage, US$1 movement in spot gold = US$100 profit/loss.
so if spot gold drop by US$200, he is looking at a loss of US$20,000 per lot. in addition with usdsgd move from 1.2x to 1.3x, his gold losses is multiplied by the currency losses, i would say Montaigne is looking at some serious loss.

gap969
30-09-11, 08:46
if he is playing with Phillips, Montaigne is using leverage, US$1 movement in spot gold = US$100 profit/loss.
so if spot gold drop by US$200, he is looking at a loss of US$20,000 per lot. in addition with usdsgd move from 1.2x to 1.3x, his gold losses is multiplied by the currency losses, i would say Montaigne is looking at some serious loss.

This within the span of 1 week :mad:

DC33_2008
30-09-11, 08:48
High gain comes with High risk. The important thing is to learn from mistake and move on to become more cautious in future.
This within the span of 1 week :mad:

gap969
30-09-11, 08:52
High gain comes with High risk. The important thing is to learn from mistake and move on to become more cautious in future.

Remembered trading gold futures 8 years ago when average true range in a day was $1 or $2, to be able to make $5000 out of a 1 lot position, sometimes have to hold for 2/3 months :doh:

Now a days these amounts can be made or loss in minutes

hopeful
30-09-11, 08:53

lets just say, gold price will be higher a year from now :)

everybody has a choice, like BJ21. His life like rollercoaster. If he has stop playing when he loses big, you think he can recover his losses?
BJ21 mentioned before, if his August bets were correct, he would move up another strata of wealth....

august
30-09-11, 09:04

i see .... :eek:

Laguna
30-09-11, 09:28

depends on whether gold mini or regular...
this is the problem with those trade without discipline

mantrix
30-09-11, 09:29
dun end up like maggie cheung...

http://entertainment.xin.msn.com/en/celebrity/buzz/asia/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5318354

DC33_2008
30-09-11, 09:38
It depends on the apportion of reserved fund use for low - high risk investment. Going forward in the next one year, it is even more crucial given the economic uncertainly. Needs to have life jacket in the choppy seas. IF possible, own a submarine. :)
lets just say, gold price will be higher a year from now :)

everybody has a choice, like BJ21. His life like rollercoaster. If he has stop playing when he loses big, you think he can recover his losses?
BJ21 mentioned before, if his August bets were correct, he would move up another strata of wealth....

Laguna
30-09-11, 09:49
everybody has a choice, ...

I dun think not everyone has a choice..most of my ex-colleagues have no choice but to work and work and work..so many mouths at home, house to pay, bills to settle

this is reality

DC33_2008
30-09-11, 09:50
Actually $2 million of fully paid assets is not bad. The question is at what age?

hopeful
30-09-11, 10:08
I dun think not everyone has a choice..most of my ex-colleagues have no choice but to work and work and work..so many mouths at home, house to pay, bills to settle

this is reality

although the term "sheeple" is derogatory, I would agree that most people are sheep people. They follow the crowd and do ordinary things and get ordinary results.

hopeful
30-09-11, 10:13
a lot of people here talked about "buy when there is blood on the streets, including your own." and how if there is firesale during recession, they will grab.

An example came last few days.
Did anybody here buy when there is a spike low in gold and silver. I didn't.

DC33_2008
30-09-11, 10:21
Not gold but stocks and sold off.
a lot of people here talked about "buy when there is blood on the streets, including your own." and how if there is firesale during recession, they will grab.

An example came last few days.
Did anybody here buy when there is a spike low in gold and silver. I didn't.

ysyap
30-09-11, 13:19
Actually $2 million of fully paid assets is not bad. The question is at what age?$2mil at today's valuation or at time of purchase or at future valuation? :o

DC33_2008
30-09-11, 13:24
Of course, as at today.
$2mil at today's valuation or at time of purchase or at future valuation? :o

Laguna
01-10-11, 08:24
Gold Outlook for Q4: Buy or Beware?
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/gold-outlook-q4-buy-beware-191907806.html

hyenergix
01-10-11, 08:57
Hold. Below $1600 is good buy for me.

DC33_2008
01-10-11, 09:10
I am looking at $1500.;)

devilplate
01-10-11, 09:33
I am looking at $1500.;)
When drop to 1500, u will target 1400

devilplate
01-10-11, 09:35
1000 is below 1600.... 1599 aso below 1600:rolleyes:

DC33_2008
01-10-11, 09:42
Human nature. Decision to buy at 1500 will be based on a few critieria.

hyenergix
01-10-11, 10:09

Ard $1500 is good enough. I believe it will gradually appreciate.

gap969
04-10-11, 08:52
USD @ 1.32 :scared-5: :scared-5: :scared-5: :eek:

hyenergix
04-10-11, 09:03
MAS deliberately let e SGD weaken to help exporters, at e expense of inflation.

gap969
04-10-11, 09:08

More a case of flight to quality where USD strengthen across the board.
It seems like Sell Gold buy USD !!:doh:

DC33_2008
04-10-11, 09:12
Waiting patiently for it. ;)

devilplate
04-10-11, 09:27
USD @ 1.32 :scared-5: :scared-5: :scared-5: :eek:

tats gd! but hope it will remain at 1.3-1.4

pls dun overshoot:scared-5:

devilplate
04-10-11, 09:28

market is unpredictable isnt it

why did USD return back to safe haven status? LOL:hell-hath-no-fury:

y USD safer den Gold now? whahaha

gap969
04-10-11, 09:31
market is unpredictable isnt it

why did USD return back to safe haven status? LOL:hell-hath-no-fury:

y USD safer den Gold now? whahaha

Monkey see monkey do ???:doh:

Montaigne
04-10-11, 13:08
I dun get it. Why is it that gold prices also increasing? I thought that USD go up, gold will come down?

DC33_2008
04-10-11, 13:13
Buying gold out of fear when you see World major stock indices are dropping everyday. They pay alot more now than 1 week ago with the appreciation of the US$ against SGD. People are confused now. :confused:
I dun get it. Why is it that gold prices also increasing? I thought that USD go up, gold will come down?

land118
04-10-11, 19:04
No more logic, USA Big Bro image and military might itself is a safe haven for currency..

land118
04-10-11, 19:07
Seem like it cos normally MAS will go intervene for a gradual change...but like not this time...

proud owner
04-10-11, 21:51
No more logic, USA Big Bro image and military might itself is a safe haven for currency..

USD buying has nothing to do with usd being safe haven.

It's a massive funding shortage in the system.

A lot is going on. can't go into detail here.

Stk mkt will fall further. Just watch it

Laguna
04-10-11, 22:16
I need to warn those traders without putting stop. In the event the position is against u, and ur in a margin call situation, and if ur not contactable or unable to make good of margin within the same day.

Your position will be chopped....

Also, for some houses, the stop does not work in the event of open gap up or gap down, it may become a limit order.

I went down to the house today...so many margin calls..

maisonjai
04-10-11, 22:31
Lucky enough to catch some fire sales, if there's any?

hyenergix
04-10-11, 23:02
Lucky enough to catch some fire sales, if there's any?

If fire-sale house can also raise cash so fast to meet margin calls?

bargain hunter
04-10-11, 23:39
can't. but maybe after margin called and forcesold positions, there is still a massive loss to pay or face bankruptcy proceedings. in that case, fire sale house can raise cash to save the fella.

If fire-sale house can also raise cash so fast to meet margin calls?

1000g
28-10-11, 15:31

It's USD1740 today.

1000g
04-11-11, 15:06

A month now and it's back to 1759 today. :sleep:

hyenergix
05-11-11, 08:08
Will move in when gold drops to US$1200.

Gold will never drop back to this level. It's teasing us around $1600-$1800. Chinese and Indian festivals are coming. Central banks are still buying gold. I think price will go up again next year.

http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1320411600.php

DC33_2008
05-11-11, 15:58
People got scare after hearing to Basic. :scared-1:
Gold will never drop back to this level. It's teasing us around $1600-$1800. Chinese and Indian festivals are coming. Central banks are still buying gold. I think price will go up again next year.

teddybear
05-11-11, 22:47
Wait till US$ raises and gold will, well, crash like stone! :banghead:

hyenergix
06-11-11, 06:54
I don't think so. Too many people (including myself and the forumers here) and central banks are aiming for gold now.

Useful articles:

Gold as investments?
http://www.goldinmind.com/gold-updates-news/blog/stock-markets-in-free-fall-gold-at-$1700-what-to-do.html

Gold scams!
http://www.goldinmind.com/how-to-buy-gold/general-advice/risks-problems-when-buying-gold-fraud-and-scams.html

1000g
08-11-11, 11:36

It's 1792 today, you should be making now. Sell or hold, the choice is yours. :cheers4:

Montaigne
08-11-11, 15:45
It's 1792 today, you should be making now. Sell or hold, the choice is yours. :cheers4:

Already sold one at 1670 lah... sian...

hyenergix
08-11-11, 20:22
Already sold one at 1670 lah... sian...

Gold must buy and hold one lah. Price won't go down much because drama is still unfolding in the west and east is still buying quietly.

1000g
08-11-11, 21:57
Gold must buy and hold one lah. Price won't go down much because drama is still unfolding in the west and east is still buying quietly.

Agreed 1000%.