PDA

View Full Version : Waterfront living and humidity

mcmlxxvi
17-12-11, 09:48
With the recent 'trend' of 'waterfront' living and living near large bodies of water, Singapore today as it is is already high in humidity all year long. If staying near such locations, humidity is heightened. Leather shoes, bed frames, sofa, curtains etc turn moldy in mere days, especially during rainy season which exaberates the problem.

How practical is choosing to live near large water bodies, particularly if in heavily forested area eg. Meadows @ Pierce, Archipelago @ Bedok, pool side/facing units in Bt Timah and reservoir areas... etc.

hyenergix
17-12-11, 10:01
It's cooler. Not much effect of humdity, bcoz it is already so humid everywhere in the open air i.e. >80% on average.

azeoprop
17-12-11, 10:03
On aircon 24hrs haa haa...or use the dehumidifier mode if weather not too hot. :p

mcmlxxvi
17-12-11, 10:06
Or 'decorate' the whole house with lots of http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/kmarc73/Thirstyhippo.jpg

devilplate
17-12-11, 21:55
I used quite a few of the above.....but i get cheaper no brand ones....

Gd to place inside storerm, cabinets under sink, wardrobe :D

azeoprop
17-12-11, 22:50
There is another version with charcoal that can get rid of smell also. ;)

ysyap
18-12-11, 07:19
Contrary to most people, I actually got a humidifier coz I think my room is quite dry and there is always a stench so that helped... Lol! :p

ysyap
18-12-11, 07:20
But yes I used hungry hippo in my storeroom as well as shoe cabinet. :cheers6:

hyenergix
18-12-11, 08:11
But yes I used hungry hippo in my storeroom as well as shoe cabinet. :cheers6:

Have you tried regenerating the dessicant by warming them? I havent tried this product myself. You may be able to save some $ if you have waste heat left over from cooking...

devilplate
18-12-11, 08:31
Contrary to most people, I actually got a humidifier coz I think my room is quite dry and there is always a stench so that helped... Lol! :p
dry bcoz of aircon la

buttercarp
18-12-11, 08:38
Have you tried regenerating the dessicant by warming them? I havent tried this product myself. You may be able to save some $ if you have waste heat left over from cooking...

Can you leave it out in the sun to dry?
Some can even microwave it, but I think thirsty hippo cannot.

Douk
18-12-11, 08:56
Air the rooms, and cabinets.

DC33_2008
18-12-11, 09:42
Best to stay in high floors facing NE or SW. Open windows and you will get the wind in to ventilate the place. Stagnant air will lead to build up of odour and humidity.

Komo
18-12-11, 11:36
just need good ventilation...but some design really don't have ventilation in mind:doh:

mcmlxxvi
18-12-11, 11:42
Guess ventilation is key... but I only ventilate my bedroom when I am sleeping... even so because the area so cool, most nights I just open one pane of window by say a 10-15cm gap and very cool already no need aircon. Super green and energy saving.

Maybe day time also open up to ventilate... or occasionally on cold cold aircon 20 degrees celsius to dry up the place.

buttercarp
18-12-11, 12:10

To kill 2 birds with one stone, you may like to wash your clothes at night and hang them in your room to increase the humidity while the clothes can dry overnight.
The fragrance from the detergent may help in the stench too!

That was what I did when my maid went on home leave, cos I could not leave the clothes outside to dry in the day time while I was at work.

mcmlxxvi
18-12-11, 17:30
To kill 2 birds with one stone, you may like to wash your clothes at night and hang them in your room to increase the humidity while the clothes can dry overnight.
The fragrance from the detergent may help in the stench too!

That was what I did when my maid went on home leave, cos I could not leave the clothes outside to dry in the day time while I was at work.
But but... Wont the 'dampness' 湿气 from the laundry affect your health?

devilplate
18-12-11, 17:32
For those who on aircon la.....instead of buy humidifier, i place a bowl of water smtimes....

irisng
18-12-11, 18:25
My neighbour stays at the unit with the pool side. She told me that her things get moist easily while I have another friend who stays at Marine Parade near the seaside, he said that his things turn rusty easily, I think most likely is because of the salt water.

devilplate
18-12-11, 18:29
My neighbour stays at the unit with the pool side. She told me that her things get moist easily while I have another friend who stays at Marine Parade near the seaside, he said that his things turn rusty easily, I think most likely is because of the salt water.
Nowadays most metal stuff found in our hm r rust proof liao leh.....so no nid to worry abt rusty problems rite?

buttercarp
18-12-11, 19:01

It should not.
When I go to a cold and dry country, I will hang a wet towel in the hotel room, or fill up the bath tub with hot water and leave the toilet door open.

mcmlxxvi
18-12-11, 19:57
No need Marine Parade. My parents place in Bedok unblocked sea view the metal stuff also rusted...

Laguna
18-12-11, 20:01
ya, the ring of my chandeliars lights are giving way
the crystals dropped quite a few....
quite a lot of items were tarnished....

hyenergix
19-12-11, 05:58
No need Marine Parade. My parents place in Bedok unblocked sea view the metal stuff also rusted...

It is the sea salt that speeds up corrosion. If the unit is facing forest or reservoir, it should be an issue.

mcmlxxvi
31-12-11, 17:48
Just realised got such a mode on my ac...

azeoprop
31-12-11, 18:58
It should not.
When I go to a cold and dry country, I will hang a wet towel in the hotel room, or fill up the bath tub with hot water and leave the toilet door open.

I just pour water on the carpet of the whole room, wake up next morning all dry up haa haa... :D