PDA

View Full Version : Emma Yong dies

reporter2
03-05-12, 03:35
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_794760.html

Emma Yong dies

Published on May 3, 2012

By Tessa Wong

THEATRE actress Emma Yong, 36, has died after a prolonged battle with stomach cancer. Yong is best known for being one-third of the popular Dim Sum Dollies act.

Members of the theatre community began tweeting about her death past midnight.

'We have lost a beautiful actress and one of our most talented performers & singers tonight. Rest in peace, my dear Emma. Miss you...' read a tweet by Nominated Member of Parliament and actress Janice Koh.

Actress Neo Swee Lin posted: 'RIP darling Emma. Angels bear you aloft. Our performing family has lost one of our greatest talents.'

Both later removed their tweets. Koh did not respond to calls while Neo declined to comment. No other details about her death were available.

Yong, married to interior designer Jerry Lim, was diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer in January 2011.

The actress, known for her clear, sweet voice and China- doll good looks, underwent aggressive chemotherapy which put the cancer into remission.

But she suffered from a relapse towards the end of last year, which she combated with another round of chemotherapy.

In one of her last interviews with the press in December last year, she said she was looking forward to a trip to Japan with her husband once she recovered.

reporter2
03-05-12, 03:37
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1198879/1/.html

Stage actress Emma Yong dies

Posted: 03 May 2012 0132 hrs

SINGAPORE: Top theatre actress Emma Yong, one-third of the popular musical comedy "Dim Sum Dollies" has died, after a fight with cancer.

Nominated Member of Parliament and fellow actress Janice Koh tweeted late Wednesday night: "We have lost a beautiful actress and one of our most talented performers & singers tonight. Rest in peace, my dear Emma. Miss you..."

Ms Yong, 35, was diagnosed with cancer last year, but appeared to have recovered by the middle of the year, appearing in Dream Academy's Into the Woods in July. However, in December she pulled out of a musical to undergo treatment when the cancer came back.

An established name in Singapore's theatre scene, Ms Yong's acclaimed career spanned a diverse range of roles, from serious drama in Blackbird to lighter fare like Cinderel-LAH and Boeing Boeing, as well as in film (The Blue Mansion).

Of her death, actress Neo Swee Lin tweeted: "RIP darling Emma. Angels bear you aloft. our performing family has lost one of our greatest talents."

- TODAY

carbuncle
03-05-12, 12:08
What a loss. Seen her riveting stage performance before. Rest in peace. This year really lost a lot of great artists and singers, and we are not even halfway thru the year yet...

hyenergix
03-05-12, 12:43
More info on gastric cancer

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/stomach-gastric-cancer

chiaberry
03-05-12, 12:49
Lessons to be learnt:

1. You are never too young to get cancer.

2. Even with the best treatment in a previously healthy person, not everyone can be "saved".

3. Please buy health insurance for hospitalization (upgraded "Shield" plans) and critical or whole life coverage EARLY depending on your financial commitments. Just imagine, if you have young kids in your early 30s and this kind of thing happens to you, what will happen to your kids? Your savings also will be wiped out by the hospitalizations, chemotherapy, etc.

I am not an insurance agent nor affiliated in any way. Not all insurance is useless. It has a role to play in your financial planning.

amk
03-05-12, 13:08
Yong ... was diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer in January 2011.

..hmmm did any one know whether she went for immediate surgery ?

chiaberry
03-05-12, 13:13
Stage 4 may not be suitable for surgery. It means the cancer had spread to other parts of the body already (very bad case and lucky to have survived more than a year).

Rosegarden
03-05-12, 13:17
Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.

Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honours out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man.

And round that early-laurelled head
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl's.

RIP.

rattydrama
03-05-12, 20:21
Lessons to be learnt:

3. Please buy health insurance for hospitalization (upgraded "Shield" plans) and critical or whole life coverage EARLY depending on your financial commitments. Just imagine, if you have young kids in your early 30s and this kind of thing happens to you, what will happen to your kids? Your savings also will be wiped out by the hospitalizations, chemotherapy, etc.

my understanding is the insurance company are becoming more strict to accept any pre-condition even thou you have nvr been hospitalised or does not take any medication.

So better buy when you are healthy. And buy before you have your next health checks.

phantom_opera
03-05-12, 22:08
you need about 500k critical illness insurance paid one lump sum upon detection of any cancer ... PERIOD

it is not cheap

heehee
03-05-12, 23:53
Sad to hear people die at such young age. Remind myself that young also can get cancer, don't take it for granted, better live a healthy lifestyle.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1198879/1/.html

Stage actress Emma Yong dies

Posted: 03 May 2012 0132 hrs

SINGAPORE: Top theatre actress Emma Yong, one-third of the popular musical comedy "Dim Sum Dollies" has died, after a fight with cancer.

Nominated Member of Parliament and fellow actress Janice Koh tweeted late Wednesday night: "We have lost a beautiful actress and one of our most talented performers & singers tonight. Rest in peace, my dear Emma. Miss you..."

Ms Yong, 35, was diagnosed with cancer last year, but appeared to have recovered by the middle of the year, appearing in Dream Academy's Into the Woods in July. However, in December she pulled out of a musical to undergo treatment when the cancer came back.

An established name in Singapore's theatre scene, Ms Yong's acclaimed career spanned a diverse range of roles, from serious drama in Blackbird to lighter fare like Cinderel-LAH and Boeing Boeing, as well as in film (The Blue Mansion).

Of her death, actress Neo Swee Lin tweeted: "RIP darling Emma. Angels bear you aloft. our performing family has lost one of our greatest talents."

- TODAY

chiaberry
04-05-12, 09:04
my understanding is the insurance company are becoming more strict to accept any pre-condition even thou you have nvr been hospitalised or does not take any medication.

So better buy when you are healthy. And buy before you have your next health checks.

Agreed.

And I recommend buying for your kids when they are young too as premiums are relatively affordable. Buy the limited pay whole life with critical illness (pay for 20 years only). By the time they are adults, healthcare advancements will mean that the costs of the high end treatments is likely to outstrip inflation (and your salaries).

Again I emphasise that I am not affiliated to insurance companies. But I work in healthcare as most of you know and I see the costs to the patients.

amk
04-05-12, 11:37
...Buy the limited pay whole life with critical illness...

why whole life ? just a pure critical illness will do isn't it ?

chiaberry
04-05-12, 11:53
why whole life ? just a pure critical illness will do isn't it ?

As far as I am aware the limited pay one (pay for 20 years - covered for the rest of your life) is a whole life policy which pays on critical illness or death.

I am not an insurance agent and you would have to discuss your individual needs with an agent to find out what are the products currently offered. You have to do your due diligence and look carefully at the list of critical illnesses as the critieria for pay out may not be identical between different companies. Don't just any how buy thinking that it's a generic product across the board - it isn't.