PDA

View Full Version : Leasehold Landed Property, those older ones

kinetic
06-07-07, 09:56
Hi all
I'm really a noob in property, still staying in my first HDB bot many years back...long story. So please pardon my ignorance.

Anyway, my relative was discussing this and it got me thinking:

"If your dream is to stay in a landed property, why not a consider a leasehold with shorter tenure. And you may get lucky if the lease can be renewed"

Can anyone comment on this? All on I know is getting a bank loan maybe a problem.

Also heard from friend that there was a article on Sunday Times about this a while back, anyone has the article? THanks

Unregistered
06-07-07, 12:12
Hi all
I'm really a noob in property, still staying in my first HDB bot many years back...long story. So please pardon my ignorance.

Anyway, my relative was discussing this and it got me thinking:

"If your dream is to stay in a landed property, why not a consider a leasehold with shorter tenure. And you may get lucky if the lease can be renewed"

Can anyone comment on this? All on I know is getting a bank loan maybe a problem.

Also heard from friend that there was a article on Sunday Times about this a while back, anyone has the article? THanks

Unlike leasehold condos, govt is unlikely to renew the lease of landed properties . It becomes very complicated. If you are willing to top up and renew your lease whiel your neighbour isn't then the govt cannot just demolish one house in between the row of houses and resell the land with a new lease, etc. Unless the whole estate applies for renewal of lease (100%) then it might be possible. Also banks will not give loan for leases below 60 years I believe.
Not worth taking the risk with leasehold properties thinking that the lease could be renewed.