PDA

View Full Version : Why stay at Sentosa? Please come in to discuss pros and cons

sevol
07-09-09, 16:54
I've always lived along East Coast and I've recently started looking at Sentosa area only because a relative is interested.

However I'm still quite hesitant, there's no facilities and I try to avoid going to ViVO on weekends because the traffic jam is beyond belief.

Besides the sea view, I don't see any other pros. I don't really like One Marina or whatever kind of highclass lifestyle the marketers and developers are selling. I'm just a simple singaporean who wants to stay somewhere with a nice view before I die.

Anyone staying there? Got any comments?

jasonlcl
07-09-09, 18:06
I stay in Citylights. This is the best place I came across. It has a very nice sea and bay view (yet nearer to town compared to District 15, and cheaper than properties in Sentosa and Marina Bay area), 5 mins drive to town, less than 1 min walk to Lavender MRT (which is underground hence no MRT noise and 2 stops to Cityhall MRT Station), responsible MCST (they just refurbished all the lifts and common area although the property is only 1 yr old plus) and ample carpark lots (only about 3 storey carpark lots occupied out of 6 storey of carpark lots).

sevol
07-09-09, 18:27
Thanks for your reply. My sibling stayed at CityLights. I agree it is a nice place.

Now I'm wondering about Sentosa's developments. I'm still not very convinced about the place although my family is keen which is why I'm trying to find out more.

august
07-09-09, 20:39
Went in on the pretext of viewing units to take a look around and i like it. It mirrors the exclusive seafront living and getaway that the rich looks for, a holiday home or weekend home of that nature. Nowhere else in SG is there a place or area like this, which is its main selling point. The bungalows have no fencing around their perimeters and i was told owners cannot rent them out, which means owners buy them for the genuine intention to stay. Even the condos e.g. The Coast, have no perimeters and condo security simply cycle around on their rounds (was approached by one the very min i stepped on the turf hehe). Azure and Berth are fenced up though.

A friend has a unit at Oceanfront, still under construction, will go see once the project TOP.

Most if not all of the bangalows along ocean rd are occupied. And most of the traffic going around right now are for construction going on at Oceanfront and other projects/bungalows. Anticipated traffic issue going in and out of sentosa is something the govt has foreseen and personally i think once the govt sets its mind to solve a problem, they will solve it.

8kenshin
07-09-09, 22:51
Just my opinion, but staying on Sentosa itself is not pratical at all. Unless you really love the seaview, the comprimise of additional daily travel time is not worth it.

I think its only because many people these days are too impressed by money that its not known as an ulu place. IMO its as ulu as Singapore gets, and your friend will pull long faces if you invite them to your house. To me, staying on Sentosa is like designer duds, if you do it to impress people, they will certainly some that will be impressed but you yourself may not be any happier than in a set of cheaper clothes.

Of course if you love that type of environment, close your eyes and buy. What you really like is always worth the money.

august
07-09-09, 23:19
Well u have to look at some of the exclusive beach front living and holiday homes around the world to have an idea, Sentosa Cove is trying to emulate that. If u call it ulu then i also dunno wat to say hahaha, but u shld go take a look. It is not for the hoi polloi who wants convenience, amenities... for that nothing beats hdb, or heartland condos ~ :p

chenjdd
07-09-09, 23:34
if i have sufficient funds, and no need to rush here rush there for making a living, i will like to stay there, must be good place to enjoy life, and unique

durian
08-09-09, 00:04
What can u do in Sentosa?

Morning - go for a jog in the island, enjoy the seabreeze, have a morning swim or alternatively go for a game of golf at the golf club.

Afternoon - drop by One Marina, take a crusie out to the sea or another round of golf.

Evening - join the babes for beach volleyball or laze around with on the beach with a bottle of beer

Night - go to nearby IR for a game or drop by the clubs in St James to let your hair down.

:D

echotrain
08-09-09, 00:25
If you stay in sentosa, you want to replicate the exclusiveness of the other idyllic resorts round the world. This is targeting to fulfill a different need. This is not the usual close to MRT / Amenities kind of place that you want to buy for rental income. It is likely to be your holiday home...?

maisonjai
08-09-09, 15:05
if u make tons of money annually why not, like what chendjj said.
It's a nice weekend getaway as well. But when comes to makan bit headache, u need to drive out. The 40km/h is speed limit is really killer :banghead:

u can try book a room at One degree 15 for few nights & gauge whether staying away from the main island is ur cup of tea.:cheers1:

focus
08-09-09, 21:30
if u make tons of money annually why not, like what chendjj said.
It's a nice weekend getaway as well. But when comes to makan bit headache, u need to drive out. The 40km/h is speed limit is really killer :banghead:

u can try book a room at One degree 15 for few nights & gauge whether staying away from the main island is ur cup of tea.:cheers1:
The view is so full of container ships passing by... can't really compared to beachfront in bintan or even batam.

And understand the rich like to buy resort bungalows in phuket and koh samui..

proud owner
08-09-09, 21:42
The view is so full of container ships passing by... can't really compared to beachfront in bintan or even batam.

sentosa is aiming to be Hampton of NY ... where the rich buy and use only in summer ... 3 mths in a year ..the rest of the year it is left empty .. only the servants there full time ...

but spore so small .. think spore will eventually get use to the inconvenience of staying in sentosa with or without amenities ..

afterall singaporean very status conscious one ...

even the not rich also behave like that .. buy condo high high psf ..rent out cheap cheap .. L L ... still say ' keep money in bank also earn peanut interests" ...so they rather have negative returns for a few years and wait for capital appreciation ...

durian
09-09-09, 01:12
Agree. singaporean wanna be proud home owner.:D

sentosa is aiming to be Hampton of NY ... where the rich buy and use only in summer ... 3 mths in a year ..the rest of the year it is left empty .. only the servants there full time ...

but spore so small .. think spore will eventually get use to the inconvenience of staying in sentosa with or without amenities ..

afterall singaporean very status conscious one ...

even the not rich also behave like that .. buy condo high high psf ..rent out cheap cheap .. L L ... still say ' keep money in bank also earn peanut interests" ...so they rather have negative returns for a few years and wait for capital appreciation ...

august
09-09-09, 20:01

the big ships are so far out that u wont be able to see them.

instead wat u can see is this.. wake up in the morning and step out to your balcony or relax at the pavilion for tea and breakfast.. shiok man!

this is the view from ocean dr facing south-east. this view is better than further west where the southern residential precinct where u can see jurong island and refineries.. not as nice

http://i26.tinypic.com/22akw3.jpg

focus
09-09-09, 20:36
OK :) point taken.. Unfortunately , I couldn't dig out the photos I saw from propertyguru a while back ..when i saw a big container passing by..

Anyway.. I would love to live in Sentosa too.. but as usual.. I miss the boat.

Regulators
09-09-09, 21:01
singapore is a food paradise so never buy any pty that does not have a 24hr eating place with 3min walk away.

chenjdd
09-09-09, 21:20
we will buy a unit here for your retirement life :),

so, about 10 more years to raise money - hope its price by then will still be reachable :cheers1:

sevol
14-09-09, 23:21
thank you for the pics august, the view is beautiful

and thanks all for your input and thoughts.

i called an agent, name's tick or teak something to give me more info but he never called back. smarmy bugger. go to the one sentosa website, he's the agent there. absolutely no sense of customer service. whatever i'll take it as a sign he doesn't want me as a client, my family and l will park our money somewhere else.

jlrx
15-09-09, 03:50
and your friend will pull long faces if you invite them to your house.

Why will pull long faces? :confused:

If someone invites me to a Sentosa bungalow, I will be very happy. :p

So beautiful ...

http://www.livingpod.com/lifestyle/images/sentosa_cove_1.jpg

And the people living there look so happy ...

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8738/stimagesmycovepjxtfaf53fu3.png

GREAT RETREAT: The McGregor family, who hail from New Zealand, find their Sentosa Cove bungalow a relaxing change of place from the hustle and bustle of the rest of Singapore. -- ALAN LIM, DESMOND FOO

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9840/stimagesmycovep8gtfb009di2.jpg

Ocean-front living also calms the soul, according to the Chias.

'I'm a very hot-tempered person but since I moved in, I've felt more serene,' says Mrs Chia, who practises qigong every morning on a small deck outside her bedroom, next to a spa pool and facing the ocean.

'It's because now, I'm so close to nature.'

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7863/stimagesmycovelfjtfb0bfls3.jpg

Australian expatriates the Murrays, Mei-lin, 31, and Todd, 36, and their two-year-old daughter

proud owner
15-09-09, 09:12
Why will pull long faces? :confused:

If someone invites me to a Sentosa bungalow, I will be very happy. :p

So beautiful ...

http://www.livingpod.com/lifestyle/images/sentosa_cove_1.jpg

And the people living there look so happy ...

GREAT RETREAT: The McGregor family, who hail from New Zealand, find their Sentosa Cove bungalow a relaxing change of place from the hustle and bustle of the rest of Singapore. -- ALAN LIM, DESMOND FOO

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9840/stimagesmycovep8gtfb009di2.jpg

Ocean-front living also calms the soul, according to the Chias.

'I'm a very hot-tempered person but since I moved in, I've felt more serene,' says Mrs Chia, who practises qigong every morning on a small deck outside her bedroom, next to a spa pool and facing the ocean.

'It's because now, I'm so close to nature.'

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7863/stimagesmycovelfjtfb0bfls3.jpg

Australian expatriates the Murrays, Mei-lin, 31, and Todd, 36, and their two-year-old daughter

someone i know ... both children are autistic ... cannot meet crowd ... they live in sentosa ... suit them well ...

Property_Owner
15-09-09, 09:18
someone i know ... both children are autistic ... cannot meet crowd ... they live in sentosa ... suit them well ...

Proud, dun be so mean. I also bought sentosa against all odds.

proud owner
15-09-09, 09:21

no lah

i meant to illustrate that sentosa is not just for expats or rich people ..

Property_Owner
15-09-09, 09:25
no lah

Lol, how's life in state? Guess MBT better dun go toilet alone. Heard Kwek and gang had bought a big blanket.

proud owner
15-09-09, 09:41
Lol, how's life in state? Guess MBT better dun go toilet alone. Heard Kwek and gang had bought a big blanket.

he no scare lah

so short any blanket will cover him

anyway developers this round made alot already ... they can hold forever ... its the flippers that , if cant hold , will cut

jlrx
15-09-09, 10:24
no lah

The autistic children must still have rich parents otherwise how to buy Sentosa?

august
15-09-09, 10:39

This one looks like facing North east can see the PSA crane.. not so good facing and cheaper.

proud owner
15-09-09, 10:42
The autistic children must still have rich parents otherwise how to buy Sentosa?

ya lah they are rich lah ... not being in sentosa suits them ..but not necessarily happy lor

kind of sad lah

ok i shant say anymore ... feel bad for them actually

jlrx
15-09-09, 22:17

You buy Sentosa apartment or landed?

I don't quite understand Sentosa ...

Is there good rental demand?

I read somewhere that you are not supposed to rent out the landed bungalows but can only stay there yourself ... it that true? :confused:

ay123
29-12-09, 10:31
anyone know exactly how many project are there in sentosa?