PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion about a piece of diamond

Regulators
29-11-09, 22:33
hi guys,

i am planning to buy a piece of 1.27 carat diamond for my wife. The piece cost $11000 and the specs are as follows:

Size: 1.27carat
colour: I
clarity: VS2
Cut: Excellent
Symetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Facets: 57

Is $11000 a good price for this piece considering it is 1.27 carat?

Thanks

danieltangtc
29-11-09, 23:31
Hi, I personally find it too expensive. Something like that should be worth less.

I recently almost bought a similar diamond for my girl. 1.17 carats, triple excellent. vvs1 and E colour. GIA cert. The price was 17K

But in the end, I decided to stretch myself and got a 1.41 carat, triple excellent, vvs1, E colour for 31K

You can pm me if u are interested in the shop

Regulators
29-11-09, 23:55
i was at first quite attracted to the size and the triple excellent grading, but the I color and VS2 held me back from pulling out my credit card. The 1.17 carat you mentioned seems like a good buy relative to the 1.41 carat piece you bought.

Hi, I personally find it too expensive. Something like that should be worth less.

I recently almost bought a similar diamond for my girl. 1.17 carats, triple excellent. vvs1 and E colour. GIA cert. The price was 17K

But in the end, I decided to stretch myself and got a 1.41 carat, triple excellent, vvs1, E colour for 31K

You can pm me if u are interested in the shop

30-11-09, 08:26
I won't get a diamond with I color.

The yellow tinge will show up when she compares it with her girlfriends'. :( The size will not make up for that......

teddybear
30-11-09, 08:56
For diamonds, quality counts, not size (otherwise can just buy industrial diamond much cheaper). :D
In general, go for colour DEF, clarity at least VVS2, and make sure it is a perfect cut. (The size should looks very bright (not dull) even with very little light as the reflections within is very good with perfect cut with little light leakage). Make sure you get those certified ones. 2 certification standards - heard 1 of them is better than the other.

I won't get a diamond with I color.

The yellow tinge will show up when she compares it with her girlfriends'. :( The size will not make up for that......

30-11-09, 09:09
For diamonds, quality counts, not size (otherwise can just buy industrial diamond much cheaper). :D
In general, go for colour DEF, clarity at least VVS2, and make sure it is a perfect cut. (The size should looks very bright (not dull) even with very little light as the reflections within is very good with perfect cut with little light leakage). Make sure you get those certified ones. 2 certification standards - heard 1 of them is better than the other.

Right on, Teddybear! :) (I assume you are the fairer s*x?)

Women and Diamonds.... we will never go wrong in this area... kekeke..

But I must say, I'm pass this stage. Diamonds holds no attraction for me any more...;)

Regulators
30-11-09, 10:17
thank you all for your advices and it seems i shud gv ths I color stone a miss.

gfoo
30-11-09, 11:13
nothing beats getting a trusted diamond merchant to visit you and personally assessing and choosing the diamond you want with a loupe and a beambox.

certified is overhyped

pweesng
30-11-09, 16:16
hi guys,

i am planning to buy a piece of 1.27 carat diamond for my wife. The piece cost $11000 and the specs are as follows:

Thanks

The colour is not so ideal. But having said that, it also depends on what you are going to house it on. if the setting is not so "tranparent" Colour I may be ok.

you need to take note of the cutting, a triple excellent may not be that great. What you need to see is the table size, the depth and girdle. They contribute to how "good" a piece of diamond is.

my 2 cents worth.

Regulators
30-11-09, 21:35
went down to H Sena today and saw some eye popping pieces on display. Saw some > 10 carat fancy cuts set in rings and a tenis bracelet made up of diamonds 1 carat n above. Fascinated by nt just the size, but several of the huge pieces are F colour vvs1. I think the whopping 13 carat piece i saw could well buy a condo in Orchard area
i was at first quite attracted to the size and the triple excellent grading, but the I color and VS2 held me back from pulling out my credit card. The 1.17 carat you mentioned seems like a good buy relative to the 1.41 carat piece you bought.

danieltangtc
04-12-09, 17:05
yes my friend, I actually got the 1.17 first. It was a loose diamond. While going back to make my second payment by cheque(I did not have 20K in my wally :D), I brought my lady along not telling her what she was there for. She ended up liking the 1.41 more...so i came back to top up the next day. :S Btw, my price includes setting in a ring along with 10 tiny winny diamonds on the ring.
Oh well...hope u get a good deal!

new2mondrian
04-12-09, 17:30
wow, since when did we have so many diamond connoiseurs here?!!?? I thought only members of the fairer s*x are diamond fans? Isn't it a case of she points, he buys? okies okies..... I shan't be gender biased.... :) my apologies....

Buy diamonds, go for the 3 Cs - Colour (D and E preferred), Clarity (Internally Flawless or VVSI) and Cut

Certification simply tells the amateur how it the preferred stone is like. Like what gfoo said, it is best to get a trusted jeweller to assess the stone with a loupe and beambox, esp for a sizeable diamond.

focus
04-12-09, 19:30
Check whether it is blood diamonds.. that is the most important consideration for me

dazzle
04-12-09, 23:34
hi guys,

Thanks

My opinion is that diamond is a commodity. So you might ant to check the commodity price for a similar one internationally. Try pricescope.com for a rough guide for price. I did a quick search there a similar one is priced at US$9K. So I guess its a good price that you are getting.

What ever you get hope that your wife is happy ;-)

dazzle
04-12-09, 23:42
Ooops.. sorry went to check again. I searched for F color previously. A similar stone with I color is rated at US$5311. You might want to get the price down a bit.

evolutionx
08-03-14, 12:19
you forgot to mention the fluorescence. the difference between none and medium is 5% and the difference between none and strong is about 8% for matching diamonds.

what kind of clarity characteristics were on your VS1?

edit: and i just realized i bumped a super old thread ><