PDA

View Full Version : There's no Propertism for Tessarina - Flood Part III

spikey69
17-07-10, 15:38
Pity those residents of Tessarina...second or third flood in a year. See Straits Times link for pics

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_554647.html

Wild Falcon
17-07-10, 15:44
Actually this condo is more D21 than D10. Anyway, I suspect there is some construction or fatal carpark design problem in this condo. The other condo carparks nearby, e.g. Nexus, Maplewood, King Albert Park don't seem to flood. Avoid this condo at all costs - you don't want to worry about whether your car will be damaged every time it rains. Imagine you're on vacation overseas, you will be constantly worried about your car.

maisonjai
17-07-10, 17:20
http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/07/17/flash-floods-hit-singapore-again/

"Among the hardest hit areas were Braddell Road, Joo Chiat Terrace, Changi Road, Bukit Timah and Delfi in Orchard Road.

The Delfi Orchard, which was hit by the worst flooding in 26 years in June just less than a month ago, was again submerged in waist-deep waters." :scared-3:

DKSG
17-07-10, 17:43
Certainly have to avoid this ...

But can some experts out there explain why are there so many floods in Sg lately ? Minus all the smoke abt improving infrastructure, etc ...

Is it because it is really true that there are much much much more rain now ?

Or ... are there some other factors unknown to us ?

dnomyarw
17-07-10, 19:38

But can some experts out there explain why are there so many floods in Sg lately ? Minus all the smoke abt improving infrastructure, etc ...

There is rampant speculation now Marina Barrage is the culprit...

http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/viewtopic.php?t=359356&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

gfoo
17-07-10, 20:08
I foresee the same problem at cascadia. lay of the land is even lower that of tessarina's, and similarly situated at the lowest point of a hill. i thought i read somewhere that for the longest time, it's been left almost as an abandoned construction site till the market picked up.

azeoprop
17-07-10, 21:45
That's why I avoid projects built on sunken lands.

jlrx
17-07-10, 22:15

Could it be due to sea level rising resulting from global warming and ice caps melting? :confused:

My theory is that if the sea level is much lower than the land, then the water in the canals will flow out to the sea faster.

On the other hand, if the sea level is higher than our land, then water cannot flow out to the sea quickly, and may even backflow into the land like Holland where the boy had to plug it with his finger.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/Hans_Brinker_Madurodam.jpg/270px-Hans_Brinker_Madurodam.jpg

bargain hunter
17-07-10, 22:20
can't confirm but this was my understanding: Cascadia was previously not owned by Allgreen but another developer which subsequently went bankrupt after the 97 financial crisis. thus, partially explained the delay and delay of cascadia's launch.

I foresee the same problem at cascadia. lay of the land is even lower that of tessarina's, and similarly situated at the lowest point of a hill. i thought i read somewhere that for the longest time, it's been left almost as an abandoned construction site till the market picked up.

bargain hunter
17-07-10, 22:21
oops, does that mean rule no. 2 may need to be changed to air is more valuable than land becoz quite a bit of landed areas have been flooded lately?

Could it be due to sea level rising resulting from global warming and ice caps melting? :confused:

My theory is that if the sea level is much lower than the land, then the water in the canals will flow out to the sea faster.

On the other hand, if the sea level is higher than our land, then water cannot flow out to the sea quickly, and may even backflow into the land like Holland where the boy had to plug it with his finger.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/Hans_Brinker_Madurodam.jpg/270px-Hans_Brinker_Madurodam.jpg

devilplate
17-07-10, 22:38
This is getting serious! i suspect due to global warming...many countries got unusual and extreme weather as well...see china, philippines....their floods r 100X more serious!:scared-3:

august
17-07-10, 22:41
resale at Tessarina is not going to be "great" ~

bargain hunter
17-07-10, 22:43
actually, i noticed that on the days with flash floods the rain falls very very heavily over a short period of time. in the past, the rain falls lighter over a prolonged period of a few hours before a flood is caused. this is a clear example of climate change. singaporeans heck care lah, now it has hit us rite at our doorstep.

This is getting serious! i suspect due to global warming...many countries got unusual and extreme weather as well...see china, philippines....their floods r 100X more serious!:scared-3:

gfoo
17-07-10, 22:45

well some islands in the indian ocean off mauritius have disappeared, and the sea level off new zealand has fallen. theories abound of the entire continental plate subducting under the himalayas, thus tilting the plate.

mcmlxxvi
17-07-10, 22:48
That's why I avoid projects built on sunken lands.

Thank god I balloted for Haig 162...

devilplate
17-07-10, 22:56
looks like multi-storey carpark is gona be better den basement carpark... LOL:D

Wild Falcon
17-07-10, 23:29
That one about "freak rainfall" is media spin lah. The Orchard Road flood was only after 100mm of rain which is VERY NORMAL. Yesterday's overall rainfall was only 175mm - and flooding started within 20 minutes after 50mm of rainfall. Such rainfall is nowhere near freak accident. There were days with close to 400mm of rainfall in the past few years (before the Marina Barrage) with no massive island-wide flooding. There is no way our system is not engineered for such fairly normal rainfall - more incompetency than anything else.

azeoprop
17-07-10, 23:59
That one about "freak rainfall" is media spin lah. The Orchard Road flood was only after 100mm of rain which is VERY NORMAL. Yesterday's overall rainfall was only 175mm - and flooding started within 20 minutes after 50mm of rainfall. Such rainfall is nowhere near freak accident. There were days with close to 400mm of rainfall in the past few years (before the Marina Barrage) with no massive island-wide flooding. There is no way our system is not engineered for such fairly normal rainfall - more incompetency than anything else.

Yah, such early morning "sumatras" storms happen all the time in the past during southwest monsoon months. It was common for trees to fall or get uprooted by the strong winds, however flash floods were rare, until the Barrage. Btw, other rivers in sg were recently dam up as well, such as punggol river and serangoon river (making of punggol waterfront). Basically, sg now do not have a proper river that flows into the sea.

focus
18-07-10, 00:52
So if Jlrx's speculation is correct, does that mean we should see reports of Sentosa Cove being in water soon?

Senotsa cove's condos quite close to the edge of the shoreline and i see the waves crashing in the day also quite near the rocks leh.. (high tide time).

Dunno with yesterday storm, would it be higher than the normal high tide?

kane
18-07-10, 00:58
the owners must be cursing their luck. where to find buyers when your carpark has a perennial problem?

jlrx
18-07-10, 02:58
oops, does that mean rule no. 2 may need to be changed to air is more valuable than land becoz quite a bit of landed areas have been flooded lately?

PROPERTISM Rule No. 2 still holds.

PROPERTISM Rule No. 2 - Land is more valuable than air.

Firstly, "Land" doesn't necessarily mean landed properties.

"Land" includes properties with large site areas with open-air carparks which are enblocable!

Secondly, not all landed properties are in low lying areas. Those that are on higher grounds are in fact safer than condos in lower grounds.

http://www.theedgeproperty.com/images/stories/Weekly_CityCountry/803/cc_12_803.gif

No 31 Parbury Avenue sits on a sprawling 61,240 sq ft freehold site and, perched on the hilltop, is surrounded by a high retaining wall, so the property is not visible from street level.

bargain hunter
18-07-10, 09:40
at least we now know landed also dun anyhow chiong. doesn't mean big land, low psf or just simply any cheap landed can chiong in. more research to be done! :)

PROPERTISM Rule No. 2 still holds.

PROPERTISM Rule No. 2 - Land is more valuable than air.

Firstly, "Land" doesn't necessarily mean landed properties.

"Land" includes properties with large site areas with open-air carparks which are enblocable!

Secondly, not all landed properties are in low lying areas. Those that are on higher grounds are in fact safer than condos in lower grounds.

http://www.theedgeproperty.com/images/stories/Weekly_CityCountry/803/cc_12_803.gif

No 31 Parbury Avenue sits on a sprawling 61,240 sq ft freehold site and, perched on the hilltop, is surrounded by a high retaining wall, so the property is not visible from street level.

devilplate
18-07-10, 09:44
tats the heading for propertism only mah...got more details like avoid low lying lands blah blah.

rule no.1 doesnt hold for Japan as well...lets see US ppty can recover back to previous peak!

august
18-07-10, 10:19
Low lying land or not seems like we are regressing. This type of infrastructure problem is unacceptable from a so-called "1st world" govt
LKY likes to claim he brought Spore from the 3rd world to 1st world, now he also bringing Spore back lol

HP65
18-07-10, 23:25
I have a solution for the owners at tessarina. Move the swimming pool to the basement car park and convert the pool to multi-story car-park.

kane
18-07-10, 23:41
I have a solution for the owners at tessarina. Move the swimming pool to the basement car park and convert the pool to multi-story car-park.

become indoor heated swimming pool.

HP65
19-07-10, 10:23
become indoor heated swimming pool.

Alternatively, build a multistory carpark as well as a rooftop swimming pool. Request the authorities and wing tai to work together to resolve the issue. Otherwise, its such a waste that the condo's carpark keeps getting flooded.

august
19-07-10, 10:48
condo already more than 5 years after legal completion, mgmt corporation long formed... developer no more obligation liao ~

DC33_2008
19-07-10, 13:07
One of the ways is to install a pumping system. The water level indicator will first be activated at a preset level which will activate the alarm system in each household. Owners hopefully has ample time to response.

HP65
19-07-10, 14:19
One of the ways is to install a pumping system. The water level indicator will first be activated at a preset level which will activate the alarm system in each household. Owners hopefully has ample time to response.

There is a pump, but I was told Bukit Timah canal was too full. Thus pump cannot channel the water out properly. There is also a flood warning system but its early in the morning...4.30am...

HP65
19-07-10, 14:22
condo already more than 5 years after legal completion, mgmt corporation long formed... developer no more obligation liao ~

Not so much of asking wing tai to foot the bill, but rather for their knowledge of the development, eg, feasibility of building a multistory carpark etc. It definitely helps and will also be a excellent PR enhancing move if they do it out of goodwill.

DC33_2008
19-07-10, 14:43
Unfortunately, Wing Tai's shares have not been doing well for a long time, otherwise they might do it as goodwill.

satomilton
19-07-10, 15:46
As resident of Maplewoods, confirm not a single flooding issue at Maple this past weekend. If no problem there, do not see why cascadia would be a problem if properly constructed.

Friends at other condos nearby, namely Blossomvale cross the street and Nexus (besides Cascadia) also no issues...

Tessarina project is the issue...hope it gets solved soon !

Regulators
19-07-10, 16:22
there is always a situatn when buyers are nt aware

cashrich
19-07-10, 17:06
I am always against bad agents. Definitely some would lie to get the deal. Such as problem solved, not this condo, the condo beside it, govt solve problem etc etc.... when it rains and flood... once in 50 years and even the govt cannot promise no floods... good luck to prospective buyers.

stalingrad
19-07-10, 17:28
As resident of Maplewoods, confirm not a single flooding issue at Maple this past weekend. If no problem there, do not see why cascadia would be a problem if properly constructed.

Friends at other condos nearby, namely Blossomvale cross the street and Nexus (besides Cascadia) also no issues...

while maplewoods is not flooded this time, the whole area of bukit timah is a low lying area and easily flooded. even if the carpark at maplewoods is not flooded, it is hard to drive around when the streets turn into raging rivers. unless the drainage system is improved in the whole area, I would think twice about living in BT, especially after seeing the torrents on the s streets with my own eyes.

so, what is to gloat about what happened at tessarina and not at maplewoods?

satomilton
19-07-10, 17:37
There is a big difference between not being able to drive around the condo AND having car totally submerged in the car park !

spikey69
19-07-10, 19:22

hi
was there any flooding at sterling?

proud owner
19-07-10, 21:19

the first time Tessarina car park was flooded .. i had that discussion with some friends in spore ..

we are think its the drainage system in the whole area ..

if you take a walk along Fifth Ave .. you will see a huge drainage pipe above ground .. going towards the canal ..

we believe that on a heavy stormy day .. all the water from holland road ( higher ground) are channel towards the bkt timah canal ..thru that pipe .. pouring tonnes of water MORE into the canal ..

tessarina sits on the corner of the next junction .. i believe itself carries alot of water from Old holland rd ..which is also high ground ..

with water coming from behind and from the right side .. ..it probably creates a kind of corss current at that junction .. which slows down the proper flow .. causing it to rise

i do not think it is a condo constructin issue ..

i am no expert .. but just judging by what we see in the condo surrounding .. we believe it could be another design fault on the PUB drainage ..

if you walk towards Maplewoods direction .. you will understand why Maplewoods has been unhurt ... its on higher ground ... slightly ..

leslens
19-07-10, 21:56
hi
was there any flooding at sterling?

hi just my viewing experiences,

i have veiwed sterling on some rainy occasions (not the heavy ones, just a drizzle)

the car park is ok but the level 1 units are all soaked
the marble floor outside the lifts leading to the units are filled with puddles of water

DC33_2008
19-07-10, 22:43
There is a lot more concreted surface in BT these days which enables rainwater to move much faster. In the past, some of the rainwater would have gone into the soil. With the channelling of water into drainage pipe for newater, this can lead to problem if they are not design correctly. This goes against nature. Natural is better than artificial or man-made.

kane
19-07-10, 22:59
did the water seep into the ground floor units at the Sterling?

cashrich
20-07-10, 07:14
Enblock this old condo lah.

spikey69
20-07-10, 08:09
did the water seep into the ground floor units at the Sterling?
unlikely - the ground floor units are elevated at 1001 and on a slope + elevated at block 1003

proud owner
20-07-10, 12:49
this is unbelievable

i just heard from a friend who lives in Tessarina ..
on the morning of the heavy rain ..many residents got up and drove their cars out of the basement carpark ..went one round and park on the lane outside on the left..near the coffee shop ..

at abt 7 am ish .. Cisco came and wanted to book all of them ..

the residents fk him (verbally) , cos all already tu lan ..

and cisco said is was TP, Traffic police who asked cisco to go book them ??

even the tow truck driver..who was towing the submerged vehicles ..also fk the cisco ..

whats wrong with our dear First world Singapore?

first i read abt handcuffing a reporter ???
do we ever see cnn reporters being handcuffed ? for safety reasons ?

handcuff a reporter ?? and yet the can let a criminal escaped from jail ? WTF ???

now cisco requested by TP to book these poor residents who are victims of flood ?

what is going on in / with singapore ??

i feel so ashame when my colleagues in NY asked me about it ...

august
20-07-10, 13:38
this is unbelievable

on the morning of the heavy rain ..many residents got up and drove their cars out of the basement carpark ..went one round and park on the lane outside on the left..near the coffee shop ..

even the tow truck driver..who was towing the submerged vehicles ..also fk the cisco ..

handcuff a reporter ?? and yet the can let a criminal escaped from jail ? WTF ???

now cisco requested by TP to book these poor residents who are victims of flood ?

Is it true WKS's son stays in Tessarina?

satomilton
20-07-10, 15:02
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maisonjai
21-07-10, 00:09
this is unbelievable

they should have push him into the drain, then all blame the tyhoon for the freak accident. Who knows, this joker might find the real bottleneck along his way to marina barrage. :p

kane
21-07-10, 23:37
this is unbelievable

should just go look at the car label first lah. sigh. everything by the book, leave common sense at home.

Tony Blair
22-07-10, 00:53
this is unbelievable

Friday:U dont see cisco or TP book cars parked along double yellow lines near mosques do you.

proud owner
22-07-10, 01:09
Friday:U dont see cisco or TP book cars parked along double yellow lines near mosques do you.

but you do see them on chinese funeral at HDB void deck ..

should hang candles on the wiper to frighten them a bit