Thread: Q3 housing numbers: What do they mean ?

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Q3 housing numbers: What do they mean ?

http://www.todayonline.com/Business/...do-they-mean-?

Q3 housing numbers: What do they mean ?

by Colin Tan

05:55 AM Oct 29, 2010

As expected, private housing prices in Singapore rose by only 2.9 per cent in the third quarter, slower than the 5.3 per cent in Q2.

However, what caught many off-guard was that prices of high-rise apartments rose by a mere 1.6 per cent compared to 5.0 per cent previously while the 7.7 per cent rise for landed homes was much better than the 6.2 per cent a quarter earlier.

And despite more properties being put up for lease, housing rentals continued their rise albeit at a slower 3.6 per cent pace compared with 5.9 per cent the previous quarter.

Notwithstanding the harsher measures on the public housing front, resale prices continued to rise while median COV remained unchanged.

Both sales in the public and private housing sector dipped by about 10 per cent.

What a mixed bag of results.

The same inconsistency runs throughout the gamut of data. While launches and sales have dropped in the private sector, the take-up-rate actually improved.

A total of 3,561 uncompleted private residential units were sold by developers, more than the 3,501 launched for sale.

Compare this with Q2. Launched 4,180 units; sold 3,955 units. A take up rate of 94.6 per cent.

If you have been following launch prices for high-rise properties, the small 1.6 per cent rise comes as a surprise.

The only explanation I can think of is: Because there were fewer launches, the impact came mainly from completed properties.

Although similarly quiet, there were a few panic sales. However, because of the much-reduced sales volume for the entire market, their impact was magnified.

At the same time, if you have been monitoring the ads, you will have noticed that there have been a lot more condominiums being put up for lease over the past few months. Why has there not been a more forceful impact on rentals?

Speaking to some housing agents, you begin to realise that some owners - as happened in the HDB resale market - are gambling with their homes.

Rightly or wrongly, these people are convinced that a price correction will come soon. They have sold off their homes at high prices, taken to rental homes and are awaiting to re-enter the market when the drop takes place.

I would advise owners not to gamble with their homes as no one cannot predict the future even if the analysis appears spot on.

Markets worldwide, not just in Singapore, are reacting more to government policies and less to market forces.

Can anyone guess with certainty what governments will do?

In any case, do note that a price correction rarely happens when the economy is still growing even if it is just modest growth. At best, prices stay flat unless one is expecting an economic downturn.

By now, everyone knowledgeable about property knows that the entire housing market now is underpinned by low interest rates.

Minimal holding costs allows investors to get away with low rents or even keep units vacant. Low financing cost allows more buyers to purchase an investment home notwithstanding cooling measures.

Any windfall from one investor is transmitted back to the market as the beneficiary almost always re-invest most of it.

This is where foreign buyers - especially those paying high premiums - have the most impact even if their numbers are not overwhelming.

As for the landed sector, the cooling measures appear to send some of the hot monies into this segment. They are seen as less risky given their relative scarcity and predominantly owner-occupier profile.

On a quantum basis, prices are much higher. For anyone stretching themselves to buy such properties, do make sure you can hold them over a downturn, even if bought for owner occupation. The tragedy is when credit becomes tight, some may be forced to give them up because of cash flow problems.

Finally, why has there been seemingly no impact on HDB resale prices even though cooling measures for this segment appear harsher.

Cooling measures deal only with the demand side of the housing equation. For sure, investment buying is down to zero.

However, as in the rental market situation, it does not stop people in the private sector seeking refuge in public housing as they await a price correction.

It is also a supply-side problem. Here, everything is cast in stone, with fresh supply of resale flats fixed some 5 to 6 years ago.

The only other way to raise supply is to encourage those holding resale flats as investment properties to give them up via a higher property tax on rental income from resale flats or even a capital gains tax.

This will then lessen the incentives to hold onto them.

The writer is head, research and onsultancy, at Chesterton Suntec International.

No impact on hdb resale... Why should it be surprising? To cool this market, shock and awe, announce 50k BTO!

the impact should be seen in Q12011 report. Now it is still early.

the resale transactions on HDB's website seems to suggest that the HDB segment is still grinding higher, albeit on lighter volume. I was taking the month of October as a point of reference, September probably was the month of the knee-jerk reaction. If November and December continues to show grinding growth, it could entice some of the wait and see buyers on the sideline into the fray.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    the resale transactions on HDB's website seems to suggest that the HDB segment is still grinding higher, albeit on lighter volume. I was taking the month of October as a point of reference, September probably was the month of the knee-jerk reaction. If November and December continues to show grinding growth, it could entice some of the wait and see buyers on the sideline into the fray.
    The transaction record in Oct 2010 is still not good enough. This is because HDB only upload these records after the completion of 2nd appointment. This will mean that from the time you agreed to sell + 14 days for bank loan application + signing of OTP + 1 month first appointment + 6 week 2nd appointment + fit into HDB schedule. The figure to look at should be at least Dec 2010 or best Jan 2010 onwards. So, the next month figure will still show that the price of HDB is going up.

I know from some agents there are less viewers now as compared to Sept and is going to be lesser going by the days with lower COV asked.

If owner follow the prices of HDB, they will be dismayed that when market prices are clearer, they never get to sell at the price they want cos the buyer also has access to these prices and unwilling to negotiate the final sales price higher than the last transacted price.

The HDB transaction is slower than the private and more troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    This is because HDB only upload these records after the completion of 2nd appointment.
    based on my own experience, the record is in hdb resale transactions page after 1st appt, listed as transaction of the same month(date of 1st appt).

Maybe hdb have improved efficiency in publishing numbers

i just wished HDB prices dun soar from now till GE....
    i still believe HDB prices very tough to drop....drop in COV to ave 20k will be win-win

Quote Originally Posted by taggy
    based on my own experience, the record is in hdb resale transactions page after 1st appt, listed as transaction of the same month(date of 1st appt).

Maybe hdb have improved efficiency in publishing numbers
    I shall ask the HDB officer :-)
    But there again, the web never release the unit number, so who will know that is really the unit sold? Maybe there are few units sold during the same period?

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    I shall ask the HDB officer :-)
    But there again, the web never release the unit number, so who will know that is really the unit sold? Maybe there are few units sold during the same period?
    i noe bec my price quite unique (end with some partcular number), also got block number and floor range.