Thread: Small size, big draw

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Small size, big draw

http://www.straitstimes.com/Money/St...ry_599849.html

Nov 6, 2010

Small size, big draw

Shoebox apartments are fetching record prices, even those outside the city centre

By Esther Teo

SMALL studio apartments might be a tight squeeze for some, but they have punched above their weight - and size - by achieving record prices, even in less glitzy areas outside the city centre.

These so-called shoebox apartments, typically less than 500 sq ft in size, first made their presence felt around 2006 in mainly prime districts. The Robertson Edge project off Mohamed Sultan Road is one example.

But the trend has since spread to regions outside the central area.

In fact, a 474 sq ft apartment at The Scala, near Lorong Chuan MRT station, was sold for $1,522 per sq ft (psf) - or about $720,000 - in August, according to caveats lodged with the Urban Redevelopment Authority.

Experts said this was likely to be a benchmark price set for a 99-year leasehold project outside the central region. Another two similarly sized apartments sold for $1,467 psf and $1,437 psf last month.

Other apartments which have fetched high prices include a 484 sq ft unit at 99-year leasehold project Optima@Tanah Merah, which sold for $1,280 psf, or $620,000, in September.

A 420 sq ft unit at Siglap V - also outside the central area - transacted at $1,584 psf, or $665,000, in August, while a 409 sq ft unit at Suites@Changi sold for $1,379 psf, or $564,000, in September. Both projects, however, are freehold.

Experts said buyers are drawn to the more affordable investment prices of shoebox units, compared with those of family-sized homes. The rising prices of Housing Board flats might also have nudged some to buy private properties at comparable prices instead.

The success of earlier shoebox developments, which have enjoyed capital gains in line with the market and higher rental yields, has also fed the trend, they added.

A CB Richard Ellis report last month said about 10 residential projects featuring predominantly small-format units will be launched in the next few months. With the exception of one, all the sites are in suburban areas like Telok Kurau, Siglap and Eunos.

Cushman and Wakefield's senior manager of Asia-Pacific research Ong Kah Seng said most shoebox apartment buyers are price-sensitive, and similar in profile to the typical buyers of suburban condominiums. Such units are thus increasingly popular, even if they are in non-prime areas, he said.

'Buyers of shoebox units are mixed in profile, but are usually singles or couples without kids, who do consider renting out the units... although the majority do not mind using them for owner occupation should there be limitations in finding the right tenants,' added Mr Ong.

Mr Colin Tan, head of research and consultancy at Chesterton Suntec International, said that with the market flush with liquidity, investors are constantly looking for avenues to park their cash.

And because investors have dominated sales, the attractions which owners usually look for, such as amenities, security and surroundings, matter less, he said. Instead, accessibility, such as being close to an MRT station, takes precedence.

Mr Tan added that small-format units are a consequence of high property prices, and as long as prices continue to rise, more of such units can be expected.

Kim Eng Research analyst Ooi Yi Tung said shoebox units offer an alternative to buyers who are priced out of the larger private property market and ineligible for Housing Board flats, or reject public housing for its perceived lower quality and lack of facilities.

Shoebox units also achieve slightly better rental yields than larger units because of their lower prices. Robertson Edge, for example, fetches a rental yield of 6.6 per cent, while the average yield for a centrally located condominium is 3 per cent to 4 per cent, he said.

Mr Ching Chiat Kwong, chief executive of property developer Oxley Holdings, said that as small units have affordable prices, buyers need not take huge loans and do not need to fear interest rate hikes, unlike buyers of units with larger price tags and heftier loans.

Oxley is a prominent developer of shoebox apartments, which will make up about half of the up to nine projects it expects to launch within the next six months.

Buyers of its units have included not only investors, who target the expatriate singles market, but also owner-occupiers who are mostly singles, young couples and some retirees who desire the ease of maintaining a small home, Mr Ching said.

He added: 'Although young people are mobile and seek an independent lifestyle, they like to live near their parents. So it's not surprising that you see people buying small units in suburban mature areas to be near their parents.'

But risks remain, as shoebox units are more vulnerable during an economic downturn, should the expatriate tenant population shrink.

Said Mr Ong: 'During challenging economic times, it's likely that local professionals will be cautious in spending, including on accommodation. There may be some who will choose to stay with their families until the economy shows strong signs of recovery.'

[email protected]

Hurrah my 999th post in a thread of my favorite asset class: MM

Shoeboxes and MM will continue to be (even more) relevant due to scarcity of land and maturing society vis a vis Hong Kong and Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Shoeboxes and MM will continue to be (even more) relevant due to scarcity of land and maturing society vis a vis Hong Kong and Japan.
    Erm.. you mean you like MM? I tot everyone is against it here??

Quote Originally Posted by ocoloco79
    Erm.. you mean you like MM? I tot everyone is against it here??
    You speak for EVERYONE my dear?
    I only play with shoebox MM. My track record to date has been proven many times over - at least 5 times in 2 years.

Anyway not only Scala. Cosmo also catching up.

18 Guillemard Crescent #07-04
    Freehold
    $1502
    $598k
    12 Aug 10

This is win-win - large size apts become rarer, and MM become popular.

Both sides win as they effectively provide supply to 2 segments (small familes and large ones or those want space)

You speak for EVERYONE my dear?
    I only play with shoebox MM. My track record to date has been proven many times over - at least 5 times in 2 years.

Anyway not only Scala. Cosmo also catching up.

18 Guillemard Crescent #07-04
    Freehold
    $1502
    $598k
    12 Aug 10
    I mean from what I see from this forum, everyone seems to be condemning MM. To the extent, I really thought MM is totally unlivable until I saw a 366sft MM studio at suites@eunos. I changed my opinion of MM. It is acceptable to me and I find it cosy and comfortable. Have been staying in over 1300sft apartment all my life and I tot MM will kill me, but not anymore..

ai yah, pple r flexible and adaptable, although all the complains, there will be pple that will still bite, and when more sees that it is a doable thing, the trend will catch on.
    The trend is towards MM,soho..... no denying it, although there will still be a mkt for larger size units.

Quite funny how things pan out, when our ancestors came to singapore, they (and their familes) were all cramped in small quarters, now after about 1 century and supposed much more richer, it looks like the cycle has almost gone back to full cycle, except that maybe it is not the family but just the couple in a small living quarters

I mean from what I see from this forum, everyone seems to be condemning MM. To the extent, I really thought MM is totally unlivable until I saw a 366sft MM studio at suites@eunos. I changed my opinion of MM. It is acceptable to me and I find it cosy and comfortable. Have been staying in over 1300sft apartment all my life and I tot MM will kill me, but not anymore..

It is about affordability. MM units will have demand, ie. rental, in certain locations. Someone should develop a set of selection criteria for investment in MM units.

It this world, it cannot be everyone sharing the same views. You like MM, you buy MM. You don't like MM, you don't buy MM. However, after buying, if you dun like MM, you can sell, can always sell at a discount if no buyers.

Just like normal HDB flats, same sized flats at different location would have price differentials. Buy what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    It is about affordability. MM units will have demand, ie. rental, in certain locations. Someone should develop a set of selection criteria for investment in MM units.
    1. Location should ideally be near to mrt if not at least to bus stops or easy access to cabs.

2. Size should be less than 500sf for ease of cleaning and maintenance. Everything in the house should not be more than 20 steps away. Working professional very busy and lack of time to walk around the house one end to another nor spend whole weekend day cleaning.

3. There should be some facility like gym and pool. Bbq is nice to have for the occasional small group gathering. Car parking is optional.

4. The price should be affordable preferably below 600k (in todays market).

5. Finishing should be stylish and simple with clean lines.

6. There should be food choices, groceries or minimart within 5 mins walk max.

7. Pricing psf should have some possibility for appreciation in the long term. Vicinity within 1km should have new developments planned or even better, new mrt station coming up.

You turned into a dwarf?

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    You turned into a dwarf?
    Ya lo kaka i tot she was PH proud lover...

Before 30 Aug announcement, say maybe 25% buy MM, 25% buy 2 Bedder, 25% buy 3 Bedder and 25% buy 4 Bedders and above (estimate only).

After 30 Aug announcement, I would think that 40% buy MM, 30% buy 2 Bedder, 20% buy 3 Bedders, 10% buy 4 Bedders and above.

Since most HDB holders will be holding on to their HDB and invest in Condo (limited budget so MM benefit lor). Thus, go get a MM fast before price shoots up further.

Never buy a MM unit if you can afford one bigger. That's my advice.

More development with MM units near mrt will be popping out in the near future.

If i have 1 mil for investment, i definitely buy 2 MM rather than spend it on one big unit.

Actually, I am also beginning to wonder whether there is a difference between MM and 2bedders and above (>1000sqft).

When developers priced their units, they seems to be no significant discount over the $psf for mm and 2 bedders.

So, when the time comes for mm to be re-valued downwards, wouldn't the 2 bedders and above be affected similarly.

Hmmm just curious... Anyone know what is the cheapest psf or quantum ever sold for MM unit in Singapore?

Now seem that hard to find MM for less than 400k. Or I am not looking hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by water
    Hmmm just curious... Anyone know what is the cheapest psf or quantum ever sold for MM unit in Singapore?

Now seem that hard to find MM for less than 400k. Or I am not looking hard enough.
    Try People's Park Complex or Mountbatten Lodge. U didnt say new...

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    More development with MM units near mrt will be popping out in the near future.
    Yes, I agree. for transient workers and more to come.

Go for freeeee holdddddf