Thread: 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Convertible

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Convertible

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes...nvertible.html

By Drew Johnson

A set of leaked patent office drawings gave us our first look at the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Convertible, but left plenty to the imagination. Given the lack of detail in the leaked drawings, we decided to hand things over to our in-house artist, giving us a far more realistic preview of the upcoming SLS AMG Convertible.

Envisioned as a more cruising-oriented variant of the high-performance SLS, the convertible will eschew the coupe's gullwing doors for a more traditional entry, as well as an SLR-like powered soft-top.

Although the SLS convertible will be going sans top, we expect the open air supercar to retain the coupe's 563 horsepower 6.2-liter V8 - making it the last application for the motor. Mercedes-Benz has already indicated that the 6.2 will go the way of the dinosaur next year, being replaced by a twin-turbo 5.5-liter V8, good for roughly the same output as the 6.2-liter V8.

The convertible will likely carry an added weight penalty, despite losing the gullwing doors and switching to traditional doors for a slight weight savings - thus we expect the SLS to post a slight drop in its zero-to-60 time of about 4 seconds - with a top speed very close to 200 mph.

The SLS coupe will likely hit Mercedes showrooms with a price tag south of $200,000, but the SLS convertible could surpass that, reflecting its premium nature. No word on annual production, but well less than 5,000 annual units seems like a sure bet.

Regarding availability, we're not expecting this version of the SLS to be launched for nearly two years, but we are expecting this to be just the beginning of our photo exposé - if the SLS hardtop was anything to go by!

crap car bro....

gimme a BMW M6 any day. or an LP 570-4

i can only afford a baby slk..

Heard the new styling for SLK is out next year. Anxiously waiting..

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    i can only afford a baby slk..

Heard the new styling for SLK is out next year. Anxiously waiting..
    is it new styling only or new entire car? i have seen the pictures of the new slk... looks a lot more aggressive than the current one, which is more a tai-tai car. now the Z4 has taken over the tai tai mantle with its softer feminine looks while i hope the new slk will be more manly, aggressive and dare i say it, more BENG

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anus
    is it new styling only or new entire car? i have seen the pictures of the new slk... looks a lot more aggressive than the current one, which is more a tai-tai car. now the Z4 has taken over the tai tai mantle with its softer feminine looks while i hope the new slk will be more manly, aggressive and dare i say it, more BENG
    It's new styling... along the lines of the current crop of C, E and S class.
    http://www.carsuk.net/mercedes-slk-2012-undisguised/

But I think it looks more like a BABY SLS from these photos..
    http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/m...nt/image_04-2/

It's new styling... along the lines of the current crop of C, E and S class.
    http://www.carsuk.net/mercedes-slk-2012-undisguised/

But I think it looks more like a BABY SLS from these photos..
    http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/m...nt/image_04-2/

i like the baby SLS look... and read that there will be a new 3.5L turbo V6 putting out 475bhp? that's tuned to the max i suppose... sounds delicious! hope they tune the handling characteristics in the suspension and chassis as well! if they do it right, could be a legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anus
    i like the baby SLS look... and read that there will be a new 3.5L turbo V6 putting out 475bhp? that's tuned to the max i suppose... sounds delicious! hope they tune the handling characteristics in the suspension and chassis as well! if they do it right, could be a legend
    Wa.. you going for the top end of the SLK?
    I more superficial.. I think i probably will go for the entry-level of the SLK... :P Not much of a speed freak..

But Nissan's 370z is really value for money with 320+bhp for sgd$180k (i think).. 350z is $160k. Styling looks nice enough for me too..

Wa.. you going for the top end of the SLK?
    I more superficial.. I think i probably will go for the entry-level of the SLK... :P Not much of a speed freak..

But Nissan's 370z is really value for money with 320+bhp for sgd$180k (i think).. 350z is $160k. Styling looks nice enough for me too..
    just realised gtr cost so much more den 370z...

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    just realised gtr cost so much more den 370z...
    Yup. Godzilla is the BUDGET super-CAR!
    BUT.... TOO MUCH BENG-NESS IN IT...
    In light of all these bengsters chopping each other, I sure dont wanna get behind one of these to incur their wrath..

personally am waiting for the new CLS 500. modest, practical, not too atas, and very fast.