Thread: Which developers provide OpenNet Fiber Optic Box?

Default Which developers provide OpenNet Fiber Optic Box?

For the benefit of everyone, please feedback to this post whether your condos/apartments under construction will have Optic Cable running to each units provided FOC by Opennet? I think this feature will affect yr future tenants/buyers decision.

Plse check with your developer(s) and feedback if they provide. Tks

i don't think you would need the extra bandwidth for most purposes.

No need survey already. IDA has told every condo to do it as reported below:

SINGAPORE: Good news for Singaporeans living in private apartments and condos who have been waiting to get high-speed fibre broadband in their homes.

The InfoComm Development Authority (IDA) said all buildings, including condos and private apartments must facilitate the process of laying New Generation Nationwide Broadband Network (NGNBN) fibre-optics cable.

Also, condos and private apartments who want the NGNBN fibre-optic cables should bear the cost for providing certain facilities such as cable distribution systems and lead-in pipes, among others.

IDA said this issue has been spelled out in the Telecommunications Act and relevant Code of Practices since 2000.

The clarification followed reports earlier this month that nine in 10 condo and private apartment management committees have rejected the free offer to lay the cables for mainly aesthetic reasons.

Many wanted the cables concealed within walls or false ceilings but such work requires the hacking of walls.

Both OpenNet, the consortium appointed to lay the cables, and the management committees are not prepared to pay the cost.

IDA has also issued OpenNet a letter, which they can bring to building owners, that clarifies the issue.

IDA added that it can determine the outcome of disagreements between developers or building owners and telecom licensees.

Meanwhile, re-engagement efforts by OpenNet, is bringing in some encouraging result.

An average of more than three out of the nine who earlier rejected the offer to lay the cables have now agreed for the lines to be laid. - CNA.fa

Quote Originally Posted by TOP
    No need survey already. IDA has told every condo to do it as reported below:

SINGAPORE: Good news for Singaporeans living in private apartments and condos who have been waiting to get high-speed fibre broadband in their homes.

The InfoComm Development Authority (IDA) said all buildings, including condos and private apartments must facilitate the process of laying New Generation Nationwide Broadband Network (NGNBN) fibre-optics cable.

Also, condos and private apartments who want the NGNBN fibre-optic cables should bear the cost for providing certain facilities such as cable distribution systems and lead-in pipes, among others.

IDA said this issue has been spelled out in the Telecommunications Act and relevant Code of Practices since 2000.

The clarification followed reports earlier this month that nine in 10 condo and private apartment management committees have rejected the free offer to lay the cables for mainly aesthetic reasons.

Many wanted the cables concealed within walls or false ceilings but such work requires the hacking of walls.

Both OpenNet, the consortium appointed to lay the cables, and the management committees are not prepared to pay the cost.

IDA has also issued OpenNet a letter, which they can bring to building owners, that clarifies the issue.

IDA added that it can determine the outcome of disagreements between developers or building owners and telecom licensees.

Meanwhile, re-engagement efforts by OpenNet, is bringing in some encouraging result.

An average of more than three out of the nine who earlier rejected the offer to lay the cables have now agreed for the lines to be laid. - CNA.fa
    3rd world reporting from a 3rd world media, an example of bad news disguised as good news
    wat good news? condo owners are the ones who have to fork out the cost

Cosmo by Dakota Development of Fission Group has.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    3rd world reporting from a 3rd world media, an example of bad news disguised as good news
    wat good news? condo owners are the ones who have to fork out the cost
    This is called "The Bitter Pill."

We have been told to take it very often.

Either you swallow, or they will force it down your throat.

All the MCST who resisted this superfast broadband, now boh pian, cos by Law, they LL have to do it.

This is good news. Hopefully the developer for my new condo hides the wires in the wall

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    This is good news. Hopefully the developer for my new condo hides the wires in the wall
    I have done it for my house. Authority told us to do it now or will incur cost later.

super high speed broadband may seem unnecessary now but just wait 2 to 3 years and it will take off...and like all technology stuff, once it has taken off, it will move very very fast and before you know it, you would wonder how you had lived without it. Same story for tv, phone, handphone, internet and this forum

It is indeed good news for those underconstuction but bad for those going to or just TOP as most cabling works had been done and walls are flat and smooth. Now the Developers will have to hack the walls again to lay the concealed piping and you will sure see the hack marks on your walls when you take over the keys... redo the whole walls?

Default Parc Imperial

Unfortunately, Parc Imperial doesn't have OpenNet. I was studying fiber optics 25 years ago as post-graduate applied physics student. Trust me, you will love it. You could pay a 3-D virtual visit before you check out the Project.
    If you cannot live in a city without Highway, yong tenants will soon stay away from a project without Fibre. They would play online 3-D games, watching movies without the need to wait minutes for download.
    And more importantly, they can work from home in the evenings to talk with their US counterparties.

Too bad, most of the new projects are still not using this as selling point yet.

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    Unfortunately, Parc Imperial doesn't have OpenNet. I was studying fiber optics 25 years ago as post-graduate applied physics student. Trust me, you will love it. You could pay a 3-D virtual visit before you check out the Project.
    If you cannot live in a city without Highway, yong tenants will soon stay away from a project without Fibre. They would play online 3-D games, watching movies without the need to wait minutes for download.
    And more importantly, they can work from home in the evenings to talk with their US counterparties.

Too bad, most of the new projects are still not using this as selling point yet.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Finally I got someone who share the same thought with me. I am very sure Opennet will be one key factor to secure future tenants/buyers of your property.

I called up Parc Seabreeze and Colaris's developer ( Tiong Aik ),which are under construction, and they confirmed that they have already made provisions for the Opennet. Thumbs up to them and congratulate their buyers....

Finally I got someone who share the same thought with me. I am very sure Opennet will be one key factor to secure future tenants/buyers of your property.

I called up Parc Seabreeze and Colaris's developer ( Tiong Aik ),which are under construction, and they confirmed that they have already made provisions for the Opennet. Thumbs up to them and congratulate their buyers....
    Hip hip hooray

Why is this a key factor when every building in SG is going to be connected anyway? This is not a differentiating factor. In fact, many HDBs are already fiber-ready - do you see their property price shoot throught the roof? What is the point of having ultra high speed within SG when there is limited bandwidth at the international leg?

Default Parc Imperial

Thanks,
    Richard
    I've checked with the Developer again, OpenNet is not at Parc Imperial yet, but the Provision is there. So no need to hack walls, etc in future.

Cheers!
    Richard
    =========

Dear Mr Richard,
    We wish to inform that there is OpenNet Provision at Parc Imperial.

Admin Support Officer

Default Online vs Download

Just for your information, watching ponography video online is not illeagal in Singapore, but download ponography video is illeagel. I guess that single reason is good enough for young professionals to have OpenNet.

I will let Geylay OKT to comment further, he should know better.

Thanks,
    Richard

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...23940,00.html?

Published November 17, 2010

If OpenNet knocks, condos must open doors

IDA says that they cannot reject installation of nationwide broadband network

By VICTORIA HO

(Singapore)

PRIVATE condominiums have been told in no uncertain terms that they cannot refuse to have their premises wired up for the new, high-speed fibre broadband network. Those that have rejected the government-mandated network will soon have to let installation work begin.

The Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) said during a briefing yesterday that, under the Telecoms Act, building owners have to allow government-appointed contractor, OpenNet, to wire up their premises for the upcoming nationwide broadband network (NBN).

Building owners who do not comply face fines of up to $10,000, and a further $1,000 for every subsequent day that the violation continues.

This announcement follows reports of condominiums which have refused to allow OpenNet to lay the fibre cabling, which is being offered for free.

OpenNet said last month that as many as nine in 10 private apartment management committees approached had rejected the offer, with some saying that the exposed trunking of the cabling was an eyesore. OpenNet uses surface trunking, with the cables lined against common corridors behind white plastic piping.

These committees wanted concealed trunking, but could not reach an agreement with OpenNet on who should bear the additional cost of the construction work.

The condos have been told that they can no longer say 'no'.

The IDA pointed out that the Code of Practice for Infocomm Facilities in Building (Copif) from 2008 already provides for the inclusion of fibre in new buildings.

The IDA has the power to direct building owners to provide access to facilities - such as main distribution frame rooms and risers - at their own expense.

The plan for the next-generation NBN was first unveiled in 2006 by the government, which set aside $1 billion to help fund its roll-out.

The all-fibre network will bring Internet access speeds of more than 1Gbps to homes and businesses islandwide.

The regulator said that the OpenNet consortium, which won the bid to build the network infrastructure, is in the process of re-engaging management committees that have rejected the offer. The IDA has issued letters asserting OpenNet's rights and clarifying the buildings' obligations regarding the matter.

It is up to management committees to determine how the costs should be split, either by individual residents applying for cabling, or dipping into their sinking funds.

When contacted, a representative from the Bayshore condominium said OpenNet has begun its process of laying the cabling. He said the trunking is concealed, because of the building's false ceilings on each lift landing which allows it to be done without additional cost.

According to reports, OpenNet has approached about half of the island's private estates. These account for about 20 per cent of Singapore's one million households.

Housing Board residents do not face this issue as the HDB (Housing Development Board) has allowed OpenNet to install cabling across the flats.

OpenNet could not be contacted by press time.

Default Residents may have to pay to conceal cables

http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapor...ry_606236.html

Nov 23, 2010

FIBRE BROADBAND CABLING IN CONDOS

Residents may have to pay to conceal cables

But sinking fund can be used for broadband work if at least 75% of residents vote for it

By Chua Hian Hou

CONDOMINIUM residents who want the cables for Singapore's ultra-high speed broadband network concealed for aesthetic reasons may have to pay for the work themselves.

Otherwise, OpenNet, the firm appointed by the Government to install the cabling, will do it for free - but using surface trunking, white boxy plastic piping that will cover the fibre-optic cables running along the walls outside apartments.

The billion-dollar network being built promises higher access speeds and services such as high-definition videoconferencing, now unavailable on SingTel and StarHub's older networks.

Condo residents can save themselves the hassle and cost of engaging their own contractors to conceal the cabling if at least 75 per cent of them in the development vote in favour of drawing on their estate's sinking fund to pay for it.

A special meeting among residents will have to be called for this vote to be taken, said Mr Francis Zhan, chief executive of the Association of Management Corporations in Singapore.

This process is needed for all estatewide improvements involving the use of the development's sinking fund, he added, because a condo's management committee, comprising apartment owners who volunteer their time, has no power to draw down on the fund without a mandate from the residents at a general meeting.

If less than 75 per cent of the residents at the meeting vote 'yes', individual home owners will have to decide between living with surface trunking and paying a contractor to hide the cables.

Mr Zhan was responding to an Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) statement last week that condos must allow OpenNet to install the necessary cables, or risk a fine of up to $1,000 a day.

OpenNet had at first been turned away by as many as nine in 10 condos. The impasse was over the use of surface trunking, which many developments felt would mar their walls.

Neither OpenNet nor the condos wished to pay for the cables to be concealed under walls or false ceilings.

This was when the IDA issued a reminder that cabling is mandatory.

It said developments that wanted concealed wiring would have to pay for it themselves, but has not specified if the estate or individual is to foot the tab.

Financial planner Jasmine Lee, 45, whose Yio Chu Kang condo is due to be wired up in 2012, said her preferred option was for the sinking fund to be used.

She said if the residents voted 'no' and hiring her own contractor would cost her no more than $100, she would pay for it.

If it costs more, she would go with surface trunking.

[email protected]

Default 4G Wireless Network is coming

http://www.asiaone.com/Digital/News/...17-205127.html

Fiber Optics provides the speed up to 1000M, but can be as low as 100M or 25M if you go for the budget plan.

4G Wireless provides the speed up to 100M, not bad. This can be an alternative solutions for those older condo.

Thanks,
    Richard

BCA should coordinate with IDA to make all BUC projects to have fiber pulled right now, up to the switchboard inside the unit. It makes no sense for these projects to do it a few yrs later.

http://www.asiaone.com/Digital/News/...17-205127.html

Fiber Optics provides the speed up to 1000M, but can be as low as 100M or 25M if you go for the budget plan.

4G Wireless provides the speed up to 100M, not bad. This can be an alternative solutions for those older condo.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Well, yes and no. Open net Is compulsory so anyhow, all MCST has to install them. Main reason is everything will be going thru this fibre optic cable, eg. Phone, fax, ultra highspeed Internet, HD tv, maybe in future HD radio.

4G LTE can support up to 100mbps but practically, you'll be lucky to get 15 Mbps. WiMax 4G (probably won't be adopted here) will be probably reach max download speed of 10mbos practically.

In the long term, it's still better to have open net NGNBN in your home. But with the ridiculously high subscription rate of StarHub and singtel ($395/month for 1gbps), nobody needs it now.

yeah, there will fine us if we don't open door. IDA right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    Why is this a key factor when every building in SG is going to be connected anyway? This is not a differentiating factor. In fact, many HDBs are already fiber-ready - do you see their property price shoot throught the roof? What is the point of having ultra high speed within SG when there is limited bandwidth at the international leg?
    True, in the future, having NGNBN will not differentiate you from the rest. But NOT having it will differentiate you instead. Just like how broadband started, it will be in bits and pieces but once the tipping pt is reached, the increase in adoption will be in quantum leaps to commensurate with the benefits. I believe local RSPs (retail service providers) will provide sufficient offerings to make it an attractive value proposition.

Default Condos fall in line, slip to back of wiring queue

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...11140,00.html?

Published December 10, 2010

Condos fall in line, slip to back of wiring queue

Many finally say yes to fibre-optic cables but will be wired well after HDB flats

By WINSTON CHAI

(SINGAPORE) An iron-clad government ruling is starting to lift the impasse that blocked most condominium residents from cruising on Singapore's new ultrafast Internet highway. However, the standoff appears to have pushed condos to the back of the installation queue as most are now expected to be fibre-ready only towards the tail end of Singapore's billion-dollar broadband upgrade exercise in 2012.

BT understands that a large number of the condominiums which had previously turned down the OpenNet's complimentary fibre-optic cabling appear to have made their way back onto the firm's deployment radar. The company - a joint venture between SingTel, Singapore Press Holdings, SP Telecommunications and Axia NetMedia - has been appointed by the government to wire up all local homes and offices with the infrastructure needed for breakneck broadband access.

Some of these developments that have apparently made an about turn include The Hillside, Hume Park 1 and 2 in Upper Bukit Timah, as well as Hillcrest Arcadia on Arcadia Road.

According to OpenNet's online schedule, all four were supposed to have been cabled up this year but the firm's website now shows their deployment has been rescheduled to the third quarter of 2012.

The same time frame also applies to more than 40 other condominiums that BT searched for in the company's online database.

In October, the same site said OpenNet was still trying to 'seek consensus' with most of these estates' management agents to proceed with the cabling. The few condominiums which appear to be at a standstill include Costa Del Sol along Bayshore Road and Cavenagh Court.

The reason for the longer wait for condominiums is likely to be the fact that their management committees were among those that initially declined the broadband upgrade.

Most feared that their estate's façade could be affected by the boxy plastic trunking used to house the new fibre-optic wiring.

An OpenNet spokesman previously said a staggering nine out of 10 condominium management committees approached had shut it out. This eventually prompted Singapore's telecommunications regulator to step in to resolve the impasse.

Last month, the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) - which is backing the project with a billion-dollar subsidy - clarified that all building owners must let OpenNet in as they are mandated to do so under the Republic's Telecom Act. Non-compliance could result in fines of up to $1,000 per day, it warned.

Housing Board residents do not face the same issue as the HDB has thrown its weight behind the IDA-led initiative.

'We are glad to confirm that OpenNet is currently re-engaging condo management committees and the work is proceeding smoothly,' an OpenNet spokesman told BT without disclosing who had since changed their minds.

However, the U-Turn means their residents could be years behind their counterparts in public housing estates when it comes to enjoying high-speed Internet services.

OpenNet's website shows most condos are slated to receive their fibre-optic cabling between July and September 2012, just a few months before the targeted year-end completion date for the entire project.

The company's installation crew typically moves on to estates that have yet to be cabled up before coming around for a so-called 'second pass'.

Meanwhile, SingTel, StarHub and M1, along with new player SuperInternet, have been offering ultra-high-speed fibre-optic services to consumers in wired-up estates since September this year.

DOasia by Monfort Land has OpenNet installed, even hidden inside storage compartment.