Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPF usage eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    Because the couple wanted the old man to shift out but where to stay, of course he needed his flat back. Afterall the flat was fully paid by the father. I think the son should at least pay his father some money for the house if the son still wanted to stay in the same house and insisted his father to shift out. He shouldn't asked his father to buy from him and pay him if the father wanted the house back. That means the father will have to pay two times for the same house. Something made me boiled was that the son and the daughter-in-law were both highly educated. How can they treat an old man like that?

I went with a group of friends to his house once during CNY and felt embarrased when his daughter-in-law came out from her bedroom and drawn the curtain between her bedroom and the hall angrily (maybe we were very noisy), the father felt bad and explained to us that she had just come back from a swim with his grand-daughter and they needed to rest but we didn't know that they were sleeping inside.

After this case, I come to realise that never transfer the house ownership to any of your children when you are still around. At least when you grow old, you still have a roof over your head.
    Sad case. Your friend shouldn't have given away the house. He can go to the Tribunal for the Maintenance of Parents (MCYS) to file a complaint and ask for monthly maintenance.

Much as I disapprove the son's action (not even talking about the daughter-in-law) of demanding the father to buy back the house from him, (how did he even bring himself to verbalize those demands?) I was also thinking that his behavior is either reflective of his personal beliefs, whether influenced by his wife, friends or even his own family members or the education system. It takes quite a lot for someone to actually conceive those ridiculous and rudicrous demands less articulating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadey
    I have also hear story about young couple selling away their HDB to invest in private property or MM apartment, and then move back to live with their aging parents.

So their elderly parents will never be able to cash out or rent out their HDB for retirement.

This to me is totally wrong.
    Not so bad lor provided the yng couple give mthly pocket money to their old folks lor....family bonding too i wud encourage ppl to do tat

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Not so bad lor provided the yng couple give mthly pocket money to their old folks lor....family bonding too i wud encourage ppl to do tat
    If you want family bonding, one should invite your parents over to stay with you and rent out their place use it as a source of income for their retirement.

If you want family bonding, one should invite your parents over to stay with you and rent out their place use it as a source of income for their retirement.
    either way

Not so easy... very difficult to have parents staying with wife or vice versa. Not so straight forward. I'd rather spend more money to buy a house and spend 30 years tenure servicing the mortgage than to put up with any potential in-house disputes, fights, cold wars, etc. For every 1 couple I find who can stay with parents-in-law, I found another 9 who cannot.

Actually this should be the way for family bonding but I have another case which is just the other way round. My colleague's brother-in-law rents out his own house and went to stay with his parents. The rental amount goes to his own pocket.

"Not so easy... very difficult to have parents staying with wife or vice versa. Not so straight forward. I'd rather spend more money to buy a house and spend 30 years tenure servicing the mortgage than to put up with any potential in-house disputes, fights, cold wars, etc. For every 1 couple I find who can stay with parents-in-law, I found another 9 who cannot."

Agree. If stay together with the in-laws, sure have some disagreement. All of us come from different background and was brought up differently. So certain habits that we have might be a sore eyes to her and vice versa. That's why before I married, I told my husband that I don't want to stay with my in-laws because I wanted to avoid any unnecessary disputes.

I found that in this way, my relationship with my in-law is better than my 2 other sister-in-laws who stay next door. My husband, me and my 2 children went down to visit my in-law every Saturday. Once a while, we will bring her to overseas to experience other countries' culture. She loves it especially Beijing and Japan. Though she always said that "don't need lah, let you all spend money", but I could tell that she was actually very excited and happy.

When my husband gives her allowance, she will sure to give some back to him, my in-law is actually very good and understanding. So not necessary give her money, she will be happy, it is the care that matters, that's what I think.

BTW, how to put 2 "quotes' in 1 reply.
    Last edited by irisng; 26-07-11 at 21:10.

Reply two times lor. Just copy the quote from the 2nd reply and paste in the earlier one under edit.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Reply two times lor. Just copy the quote from the 2nd reply and paste in the earlier one under edit.
    Oic, thank you.

Actually this should be the way for family bonding but I have another case which is just the other way round. My colleague's brother-in-law rents out his own house and went to stay with his parents. The rental amount goes to his own pocket.

"Not so easy... very difficult to have parents staying with wife or vice versa. Not so straight forward. I'd rather spend more money to buy a house and spend 30 years tenure servicing the mortgage than to put up with any potential in-house disputes, fights, cold wars, etc. For every 1 couple I find who can stay with parents-in-law, I found another 9 who cannot."

Agree. If stay together with the in-laws, sure have some disagreement. All of us come from different background and was brought up differently. So certain habits that we have might be a sore eyes to her and vice versa. That's why before I married, I told my husband that I don't want to stay with my in-laws because I wanted to avoid any unnecessary disputes.

I found that in this way, my relationship with my in-law is better than my 2 other sister-in-laws who stay next door. My husband, me and my 2 children went down to visit my in-law every Saturday. Once a while, we will bring her to overseas to experience other countries' culture. She loves it especially Beijing and Japan. Though she always said that "don't need lah, let you all spend money", but I could tell that she was actually very excited and happy.

When my husband gives her allowance, she will sure to give some back to him, my in-law is actually very good and understanding. So not necessary give her money, she will be happy, it is the care that matters, that's what I think.

Just remember that what ever we do, we are setting an example for our children to follow.

Just remember that what ever we do, we are setting an example for our children to follow.
    Words of wisdom. What we do to or for our parents today will be done to or for us tomorrow!