Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All the Kachang Puteh things about condos: a relax discussion thread...

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

Default All the Kachang Puteh things about condos: a relax discussion thread...

You guys are making the atmosphere here too tense liow.. too much arguing like OCR Vs CCR, Property Price Cheong Vs Crash….

Can have some simpler tkss things here ?….
    Let me start something here…

a. MM with 2bedrooms?
    Do you prefer a ~500ft MM to be 1bdr or 2bdr? Say, if developer selling you 2 types of MM units, both exactly the same except one got the bedroom divided into 2 rooms, which one will you buy?
    => I prefer it to be 2bdr (very small bedrooms like in HK). And as least I can knock the 2bdrm into 1 if I want to, and URA/BCA will not come after me. Why can't the developer try market something like that?

b. Utilizing the junk space
    For those space not covered under plot ratio (bay windows, Balcony, aircon ledge), Developers should be more creative in making those junk space more useful, like
    - Bay windows: May be should position it at the dinning room? I can use it as sitting bench during dinner, and it comes with nice view.
    - AirCon ledge: Can hang+dry clothings above the aircon? I think saw some doing it at The Warren?
    => Developers please don't just want to make $$ from us out of thin air...

c. Third Toilet?
    Is third toilet necessary? I keep forgetting I have that extra toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by ikan bilis
    You guys are making the atmosphere here too tense liow.. too much arguing like OCR Vs CCR, Property Price Cheong Vs Crash….

Can have some simpler tkss things here ?….
    Let me start something here…

a. MM with 2bedrooms?
    Do you prefer a ~500ft MM to be 1bdr or 2bdr? Say, if developer selling you 2 types of MM units, both exactly the same except one got the bedroom divided into 2 rooms, which one will you buy?
    => I prefer it to be 2bdr (very small bedrooms like in HK). And as least I can knock the 2bdrm into 1 if I want to, and URA/BCA will not come after me. Why can't the developer try market something like that?

b. Utilizing the junk space
    For those space not covered under plot ratio (bay windows, Balcony, aircon ledge), Developers should be more creative in making those junk space more useful, like
    - Bay windows: May be should position it at the dinning room? I can use it as sitting bench during dinner, and it comes with nice view.
    - AirCon ledge: Can hang+dry clothings above the aircon? I think saw some doing it at The Warren?
    => Developers please don't just want to make $$ from us out of thin air...

c. Third Toilet?
    Is third toilet necessary? I keep forgetting I have that extra toilet.

yah.. my third toilet now serves more like my store-room...
    it's not being utilised fully it seems...

U can ask ikea to design or copy their design, china con to build, far east to sell and huttons to market.

Hahaha....

a. Both also don't prefer coz it cannot fit my family. But if no choice have to choose, I'll take the 2 bedders over 500sq ft .

b. You are so hopeful and naive. Developers are never known to be so kind. They will squeeze you dry! I think the kind ones are known as charity organisations!

c. Third toilet is absolutely necessary if your family has 3 or more people. If just 2, no way you will need the 3rd one regularly. Also, 3rd toilet can be your help's toilet so no chance she will secretly use your shampoo, bath foam, etc w/o permission!

a. It is already so small. It will be better to be a white design as i have a choice to place my glass partition wherever I want to create 1-2 bedrooms later. Glass partition with a blind behind is good enough for privacy just like Clift.

b. This will never be realised with the developers.

c. Remember there is charged for the toilet every month in your bill.

How about this question: Which do you prefer - bay windows, balcony or planter? If u have to choose one of them?

Assuming there's at least a pool view, and the unit is at least 700 sq ft.

some quick thoughts:

bay windows: at least it's indoors - gd in S'pore's weather. can be converted to seats or tables, but making it any more functional like cupboards will block the windows.

balcony: functional - can use as outdoor dining, dry clothes, grow plants, taiji etc. outdoor space that some may rather have as indoor space.

planter: like balcony, but usually smaller. less outdoor space that some may deem a waste, but also less functional - just a narrow strip mostly - definitely cannot put table n chairs; taiji will be precarious

a. MM with 2 bedrooms is ok - really depends on the occupants, e.g. if the occupant of the smaller room is a child or is seldom at home and just needs a bed to sleep in. But have to see the layout. Some layouts are dumb: the toilet is through the master bedroom - how to share bathroom (See pg 12 H residences type F) And have to close the bedroom door to get into the bathroom

b. For e.g. urban residences expects occupant to use the bomb shelter as walk-in wardrobe (see urban residences floor plans e.g. 02-04-A) but they don't build any wardrobe or shelves for you . Cut cost! Isn't it unsightly to dry clothes on the aircon!

c. My dad will turn the unused toilet into a walk-in aviary

d. I want to add that I hate mass market condo. Why pay more to endure the same noise, people throwing rubbish in the lift, people using clothes as curtains, people "chope-ing" corridor space, fat shirtless guys living on ground floor units leaving their windows wide open, people letting their dogs swim in the swimming pool

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen
    a. MM with 2 bedrooms is ok - really depends on the occupants, e.g. if the occupant of the smaller room is a child or is seldom at home and just needs a bed to sleep in. But have to see the layout. Some layouts are dumb: the toilet is through the master bedroom - how to share bathroom (See pg 12 H residences type F) And have to close the bedroom door to get into the bathroom

b. For e.g. urban residences expects occupant to use the bomb shelter as walk-in wardrobe (see urban residences floor plans e.g. 02-04-A) but they don't build any wardrobe or shelves for you . Cut cost! Isn't it unsightly to dry clothes on the aircon!

d. I want to add that I hate mass market condo. Why pay more to endure the same noise, people throwing rubbish in the lift, people using clothes as curtains, people "chope-ing" corridor space, fat shirtless guys living on ground floor units leaving their windows wide open, people letting their dogs swim in the swimming pool
    Did you ever stay in the mass market condo before?

Is EC considered as mass market condo?

I think it all depends on your management, how are they going to "educate" those residents. I remember when I first shifted into my EC, I came across residents throwing cigarretts bulbs, sweets, papers, bread, dried maggie mee and even children pillow down from their units. Some of those rubbish even landed at my open window. Lots of complain from those people who are staying on the ground floor because "they" landed on their balcony (only ground floor has balcony). Dripping water from washed clothing / mop. Dog barking from morning to night, don't know where the owner was? But now no such nuisance anymore but occassionally hear noises from children playing at the swimming pool and this is very common. We have a security guard station near the swimming pool to watch the safety of the residents especially children, they can forget about the danger when playing. Now we have changed the parking system, using "IU" to enter the residential carpark, to avoid any unauthorise vehicles.

I have never come across dog swimming in the swimming pool before and we are not allowed to hang clothing on our windows. Parking on illegal parking lots will be tow away.
    Last edited by irisng; 14-08-11 at 11:44.

No, I have not stayed in mass market condo before but my sister has.

EC is also mass market condo but there are other non-EC ones that are also mass market.

Ya, really depends on the management. If they do nothing, you'll have to suffer. Worst would be karaoke!

I really wonder about the security too. The security guard lets people walk in and out without registering. When I visit friends, I walk in as though I'm a resident and nobody stops me.

Even some non-mass market type, the management allows residents to hang their clothes such that their whole living room window from end to end is covered. But all children's clothes. Maybe really no place to hang. People understand so they didn't complain to management.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen

You think Urban Residence is , you haven't seen the vue. Also use BS as wardrobe plus the floor area is much smaller than Urban Residence!

Those 'appalling behaviors' you observe or experience in condos are mainly adopted by HDB upgraders. Give them some time to accustomize themselves to condo living! Management will have to take that job of educating them lor. Anyway, no guarantee that smaller development will be freed of such behaviors! Its the people who stays there that determines what kind of living experience you will get, not the type of condos!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    You think Urban Residence is , you haven't seen the vue. Also use BS as wardrobe plus the floor area is much smaller than Urban Residence!

Those 'appalling behaviors' you observe or experience in condos are mainly adopted by HDB upgraders. Give them some time to accustomize themselves to condo living! Management will have to take that job of educating them lor. Anyway, no guarantee that smaller development will be freed of such behaviors! Its the people who stays there that determines what kind of living experience you will get, not the type of condos!
    The Vue. What a name!

Just released that bomb shelter is BS Indeed, it is!

Certain types of flowers attract certain types of bees

One of my unit condo' security guard super on. Those maid seating near the pool Edge and giving the childern things to eat or children diving into pool surely kana from him and he definitely look like the character in jack Neo movies' muthu the security guard.

Once I was seating at the club Hse. Waiting for a contractor to quote a repair job, he approach me checking if I am visitor. I told him that I the Owner and praise him for dong his job. Basket, though that 'or lor' him then can remember me. Now when see me still ask if Iam a visitor .

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    One of my unit condo' security guard super on. Those maid seating near the pool Edge and giving the childern things to eat or children diving into pool surely kana from him and he definitely look like the character in jack Neo movies' muthu the security guard.

Once I was seating at the club Hse. Waiting for a contractor to quote a repair job, he approach me checking if I am visitor. I told him that I the Owner and praise him for dong his job. Basket, though that 'or lor' him then can remember me. Now when see me still ask if Iam a visitor .
    Well you said he looked like the muthu in the movie so he probably has that same memory lor! Or he super onz so must always confirm just in case he remembered wrongly!

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1

that guard one in a billion......

Well you said he looked like the muthu in the movie so he probably has that same memory lor! Or he super onz so must always confirm just in case he remembered wrongly!
    I think he has a short memory . Lol

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    that guard one in a billion......
    Yap , uniquely one

a. Both also don't prefer coz it cannot fit my family. But if no choice have to choose, I'll take the 2 bedders over 500sq ft .

b. You are so hopeful and naive. Developers are never known to be so kind. They will squeeze you dry! I think the kind ones are known as charity organisations!

c. Third toilet is absolutely necessary if your family has 3 or more people. If just 2, no way you will need the 3rd one regularly. Also, 3rd toilet can be your help's toilet so no chance she will secretly use your shampoo, bath foam, etc w/o permission!
    my unit got 4 toilets..... ....even my dog can carry leg in peace....

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    my unit got 4 toilets..... ....even my dog can carry leg in peace....
    Wow, 4 toilets for condo unit, unless yours is big unit like 4 bedder, probably >1500sqft....

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    I have never come across dog swimming in the swimming pool before and we are not allowed to hang clothing on our windows. Parking on illegal parking lots will be tow away.
    I agree that a condo's management and security enforcement are very impt. For my condo, we employ a stable team of security guards who know everyone and immediately pounce on any stranger. When we first moved in, they stopped my partner at the security gate even though he had a resident's pass because they did not recognise his car number plate.

My contractor had a hard time with the renovations. The management turn up every day without fail at 9am to check that he had no illegal workers or more than one machine in the unit and again at 5pm to check that they stop work and clean up the premises. I also get feedback on my contractor from the security guard.

We have no ground floor units and all balconies are enclosed so there's no shirtless uncles to spoil the view.

3rd toilet is for the maid or the dog. Unless you have neither, then you can remove the WC and make other use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Wow, 4 toilets for condo unit, unless yours is big unit like 4 bedder, probably >1500sqft....
    My condo got 5 toilets
    Every month PUB bill must pay for 5 toilets.
    I use 3 only, 2 convert to store.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    I agree that a condo's management and security enforcement are very impt. For my condo, we employ a stable team of security guards who know everyone and immediately pounce on any stranger. When we first moved in, they stopped my partner at the security gate even though he had a resident's pass because they did not recognise his car number plate.

My contractor had a hard time with the renovations. The management turn up every day without fail at 9am to check that he had no illegal workers or more than one machine in the unit and again at 5pm to check that they stop work and clean up the premises. I also get feedback on my contractor from the security guard.

We have no ground floor units and all balconies are enclosed so there's no shirtless uncles to spoil the view.

3rd toilet is for the maid or the dog. Unless you have neither, then you can remove the WC and make other use of it.
    Wow, your security guard is very "on".

Tight security is good and safe for the residents but sometimes cause a bit of inconvenience for the guests. I went to one of the condo, had to go through 2 or 3 stages before I could reach my friend's house and that was the only time I went there.

My condo unit has 3 toilets, one master, one common and one near the kitchen/yard/utilities room. As we have 4 people in the house, so we have fully utilised all the toilets.

ikan bilis is offline i'm Buaya ! Girls BEWARE !!...

things might be good for first time condo buyers to take note... before you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    => All about Greedy Greedy Developers....

a) Junk Space
    Developers throw you lots of junk space, space that you cannot utilize much. Those spaces normal do not take up their gross plot ratio (meaning no land cost).
    - Bay Windows:: Not much use (only as TV Rack, washing sinks support and etc)
    - Big AirCon Ledge:: Not much use
    - Balcony:: ok, quite nice, better than planter or yard (and yard cost floor area)
    - Planter:: may make you less frightened by height (when you have big wide sliding windows)... provided you keep plants there...
    - Wooden Platform:: More storage space only, but too costly if sold as floor area
    - Terrace/PES:: To some, these are still very nice features.

Example showing how floor area could be better utilized, 807ft 2bdr vs 829ft 3bdr:

807ft 2bedder (got bay windows everywhere)

829ft 3bedder

b) developers all very thick skinned
    - very thick skin because lots of fat/profit under that skin
    - when they bid land parcel that time, they always say something like land price $450psf very expensive, construction $350psf very expensive, so they expecting very little gross profit of $200psf selling at $1000psf and very high risk...
    - when they launch it, it will like be $1200psf
    - and $1200psf is before taking into consideration all the PES, Balcony, AirCon Ledge, Terrace and etc junk space without land price

c) WYSIWYG becomes WYSINWYG or WYSIWYNG
    - "What you see is what you get" becomes "What you see is not what you get" or worse: "What you see is what you not get"
    - Showrooms got no ceiling:: makes you think floor height is like changi airport terminals
    - Showrooms got no door, Glass wall, no column:: makes you think is wider
    - Showrooms not to dimension in plan:: You cannot bring measuring tape and measure their show room, right?
    - Showrooms got super nice furniture:: Please add in another $1mil if you want your dream home to be like that showroom
    - But hor... very soon all under URA/BCA control liow... they cannot do it anymore

d) poor fengshui
    - Big Head Small Body buildings:: Some buildings’ structure having top part to be bigger size/wider, because those higher floors could fetch better $$. In fengshui, people do not like the top part of buildings to be bigger than bottom part. The building is not stable
    - Saw in some MM:: Sleeping with your head resting on bay window, like sleeping on guillotine. example floor plan:

- Others:: all types of corners pointing at your main door, living room.

e) some ways of "price fixing" by developers
    - First, create a limited units (50-100) soft launch, for VVVIP only. Those are with 5-10% discount or cash/renovation rebates
    - Once price shown on URA caveat data and fixed. Launch the first batch of 200-300 units at URA recorded price and say loud-loud no price increase. Buyer LL got to buy.
    - After the first batch, remaining batches can suka suka up price liow. Buyers kena squeezed until jialat jialat...

f) other...
    - first year of TOP, developers are like controlling management committee. So must watch out if they use MCST funds for repairing the estate (some should be under warranty)
    - should developers collapse, you might lost all what you had paid for that building still under construction.
    - FH land parcel they can sell you as LH99 condos. For this 1; you will only have 1 and only 1 buyer when en-bloc in future

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Feel free to add on to the list...

But hor...
    => if you are the flushed-with-ca$h type and buying condos like shoes, then everything not an issue..
    => if you are spending your life saving, plus 30-40% income as monthly installment, then better check thoroughly before signing that dotted line..

...for fun only lah...

Very true!

I got more compliants.....

Misrepresentation when with "artist impressions". Pool look damn big when it's a longkang. Or sea view when it is actually highway view etc....

Or how about models with 'phantom' blocks. Blocks removed to make site look spacious

I know of projects that sells 3 bedders at higher psf than 2 bedders simply because they are about the same floor area.

I like that phrase - Ceiling like changi airport. Hahahaha.

Good article on the condo buying guide. All those planters + bay windows = 1 small bedroom. Add balcony in and you have a big master room.

Add to this list the latest trend of PRIVATE LIFT LOBBY being included in the floor area and cannot be utilised properly for living space. eg. Thomson Grand.

Very good post by ikan bilis.

We have only one head and not two heads, so please wear only one hat.

When the hat has been fully paid, you can consider to buy another hat for your life partner.

When that hat has been fully paid, you can consider to buy another hat for your child.

One head, many hats... very wasteful. You only need 1 hat at any point in time. When u can own many hats, may sure you can keep them or u are better off doing without them as they can get out of fashion pretty easily.

Who needs so many pairs of shoes too when you can only wear one pair at any one time.

Hats and shoes advice for u... heheheh

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    Who needs so many pairs of shoes too when you can only wear one pair at any one time.
    I once asked my wife why she needs so many pairs of shoe when I only have one pair for work and she replied.

I once asked my wife why she needs so many pairs of shoe when I only have one pair for work and she replied.
    women are expansive creatures... that's why nobody wants to keep them when they are old if they have a choice.

Look beyond current world, do you live forever? why be in debt forever?