Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sibor Interest Rate

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Should it be "Bye Bye" instead?

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    its like u hearing agts saying ppty will go up in long run.....buy buy

its like u hearing agts saying ppty will go up in long run.....buy buy
    No need long run because it is right with us now. Property agents are right if they are selling properties near to transport nodes.

In the next 10-20 years, how do you move more than 6.5 million people around during peak hours? This additional 1.3 million people from the current 5.2 million will want to go to the same areas at the same time. There is a limit to road capacity and driving cost and traffic jam will go up exponentially. Properties just beside the MRT stations will just continue to rise.

more den 3yrs not worth oredi....

i checked wif few banks.....3yrs about 1.4%, 4yrs jumped to nrly 2%

it prolly means banks here dun hedge more den 3yrs?

recently 3yrs fixed actually dropped abit while sibor rates actually up slightly.....

3yrs fixed damn gd deal now actually....floating rate oredi 1.1-1.2% currently......which also means banks r expecting rates to stay low for next 2-3yrs?
    First 3 [email protected]% and the next 2 years@2% will give a rough guide of about 1.6% average. IMO, this is very good rates as not too long ago(2006 era), rates were about 4-5%. Maybe I am feeling old, but prefer to fix long term and stop worrying about monitoring the fluctuation in SIBOR etc. It distracts one from actively sniffing out more good deals.

Also, banks usually are more willing to negotiate if your LTV is at 50% and also deposit in the account an equivalent of about 2-3 years of monthly payment. Thats my usual safety buffer as I am less risk adverse.

arent u following the herd mentality?
    This is really interesting as I remember an old timer from the other property forum preaching about buying Silver and Gold since 2006. He gave strong evidence about the coming bull run and no one really heeded his advice, and he knew that. I listened to him and started buying from ICBC till 2009 when stopped because of the opportunities in property. Looking at the gold prices now, I can only laugh.

Gold will be an interesting proposition at slightly lower than current levels and I think it's draws because central banks have sacrificed monetary discipline to try and bail their nations out.

Still, putting money in gold is just false security as it is useful only when currencies are pegged to gold. Gold's price is expected to drop going forward, just a matter of time. So it will be back to square one for most people - No really good investment return avenue for their cash considering the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    Gold will be an interesting proposition at slightly lower than current levels and I think it's draws because central banks have sacrificed monetary discipline to try and bail their nations out.

Quote Originally Posted by bullman
    First 3 [email protected]% and the next 2 years@2% will give a rough guide of about 1.6% average. IMO, this is very good rates as not too long ago(2006 era), rates were about 4-5%. Maybe I am feeling old, but prefer to fix long term and stop worrying about monitoring the fluctuation in SIBOR etc. It distracts one from actively sniffing out more good deals.

Also, banks usually are more willing to negotiate if your LTV is at 50% and also deposit in the account an equivalent of about 2-3 years of monthly payment. Thats my usual safety buffer as I am less risk adverse.
    Not 4th and 5th yr 2%.....it is 4yrs average fixed at 1.8-1.9%

I will go for 3yrs fixed too....but not now....

Anyway now i got too much time......wif cm4 and 5, i will not buy ppty

Will wait till second half of 2012 to consider fixed rate where things are clearer. Quite happy with the existing rates.

Thanks for sharing the insights. In that case, will take float with no lock in then. Remember to PM me when you are moving for fixed rates.

Does that mean that you will not continue to invest in this asset class as you subscribe to the herd's prediction of the much anticipated fall in prices? The next question is obviously when and by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Still, putting money in gold is just false security as it is useful only when currencies are pegged to gold. Gold's price is expected to drop going forward, just a matter of time. So it will be back to square one for most people - No really good investment return avenue for their cash considering the risk.
    It depends on why you are buying gold. Why do people buy flowers, smoke cigars etc? They have -ve financial return.

Why are you talking about financial return for buying flowers and smoking cigars?
    You don't know we are talking about it as an investment class which some people have been shouting "Buy buy"! (soon will be "Bye Bye").

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    It depends on why you are buying gold. Why do people buy flowers, smoke cigars etc? They have -ve financial return.

Quote Originally Posted by bullman
    Does that mean that you will not continue to invest in this asset class as you subscribe to the herd's prediction of the much anticipated fall in prices? The next question is obviously when and by how much.
    as long cm4 and 5 stays.....i will stay out of ppty game

Why are you talking about financial return for buying flowers and smoking cigars?
    You don't know we are talking about it as an investment class which some people have been shouting "Buy buy"! (soon will be "Bye Bye").
    When the perceived value of the item is lower and price is lower, but you see value and potential, then you buy.

I also don't know what you are talking about false sense of security about buying gold. It is a different hard-asset class from your normal financial instrument like fixed deposit.

Anyway off-topic in this thread.

Gold is never considered a hard-asset and worthy investment instrument to me. Since when people invest in physical gold in large quantities and deposit them at home or in a safe in the bank? Even if they do, they are not earning-generating, only incurring extra costs.

Gold only worth playing as commodity futures for speculation only (other than as accessories for wearing by ladies but only spent some money only).

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    When the perceived value of the item is lower and price is lower, but you see value and potential, then you buy.

I also don't know what you are talking about false sense of security about buying gold. It is a different hard-asset class from your normal financial instrument like fixed deposit.

Anyway off-topic in this thread.

Gold only worth playing as commodity futures for speculation only (other than as accessories for wearing by ladies but only spent some money only).
    agree....metals more for speculation.....but if wana speculate....silver better

i believe fiat $$ is here to stay

Ok. We view gold differently.

I believe gold is the biggest bubble in the cmdty market

Something with negative carry, and the price of which is entirely demand driven. Gold has no real use other than jewelry.

More over the size of virtual gold traded is many times bigger than physical. Many gold products are not backed by physical. This is bubble by definition.

Yes very good to speculate.

it prolly means banks here dun hedge more den 3yrs?
    yes, for personal mortgages. Also partially because there is no long term benchmark based mortgage offerings available. unlike US, we dun have long term SGD benchmark products to hedge with. The size of SGD bond program is very small, and illiquid.

Gold is never considered a hard-asset and worthy investment instrument to me. Since when people invest in physical gold in large quantities and deposit them at home or in a safe in the bank? Even if they do, they are not earning-generating, only incurring extra costs.

Maybe it is a bubble. Anyway off-topic in this thread.

Today Jan 4, 2012, the 3 month S$ SIBOR has reached 0.40625 pct p.a. That for US$ is 0.58100 pct p.a.. The 3 month SOR is now 0.52208 pct p.a..

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman
    Today Jan 4, 2012, the 3 month S$ SIBOR has reached 0.40625 pct p.a. That for US$ is 0.58100 pct p.a.. The 3 month SOR is now 0.52208 pct p.a..
    Wah, SOR is higher than Sibor? What is 1 month Sibor?

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']TODAY'S RATES[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']SIBOR[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']SOR[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']1mth[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0.31542[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0.26157[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']3mth[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0.40208[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0.45729[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']6mth[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0.45917[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0.45385[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']9mth[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0.53208[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0.56885[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']12mth[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0.60002[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0.66462[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Updated on 16/01/2012
    View SIBOR/SOR Historical Trends [/FONT]

Sorry, the edit went off... heres the link...

http://smp-consulting.com.sg/smpc/la...torical-trends