Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: Properties in Geylang Area: Potential?

Unregistered Guest

Talking Re: Properties in Geylang Area: Potential?

Yah man, this daredevil full of shit, Real daredevil alright. Must be fXXking prostitutes in his community without condoms. What a daredevil he is.

Unregistered Guest

Thumbs down Re: Properties in Geylang Area: Potential?

Please post only if you have something worthwhile to say. All that comes out of your mouth or mind is xxx. It's a waste of our time reading your silly, childish postings that add absolutely NO VALUE AT ALL.

Shangrila Guest

Thumbs up Re: Properties in Geylang Area: Potential?

Quote Originally Posted by crazy or what?
    Buying geylang is like commiting suicide. Unless you are a pimp or wannabe pimp, i suggest you stay out of the area. Do you know how hard is it to re-sell geylang units? If i buy geylang, it is definately for prostitute yield. 2-rm unit to squeeze 6prostitutes, 3-rm unit to squeeze 10prostitues, penthouse to squeeze 20prostitutes(can start a mess orgy club). Geylang will be and always be a fcuk joint. And the banks themselves know it. Potential capital gain is only from yield and not resale. But, becareful not to get caught renting out to prostitutes and so called students.
    Geylang is the best. Imagine buying and staying there. By standing at your PES(private enclosed space). 1.You have very nice views of people bonking at the opp. apartments. 2.Nice view of skimpy dressed women of different nationalities solicitating customers of all ages and races. 3).Realistic martial arts action between men and sometimes women of diff races and ages. Great place to live in and even better, to start a family. Best of it all, foreigners are all dying to live in geylang. Geylangs' global reputation as a exciting town streches even to the ends of Shangrila.

Just my thoughts Guest

Default Re: Properties in Geylang Area: Potential?

Mr Daredevils you started this thread and you invited people to comments. But now you're calling people clowns, "prostitute" experts and kaypos. If you cannot accept others opinion, you shouldn't have started it in the first place.

Anyway, I'm getting out of here. Whatever it is, good luck to your investments.

Quote Originally Posted by Just my thoughts
    Mr Daredevils you started this thread and you invited people to comments. But now you're calling people clowns, "prostitute" experts and kaypos. If you cannot accept others opinion, you shouldn't have started it in the first place.

Anyway, I'm getting out of here. Whatever it is, good luck to your investments.
    Mr Just My Thoughts, your comments and contributions have been valuable and adds value to the thread (as are many others). I am referring to those who talk sex and do name calling, as well as those who jokingly hypothesize about renting out to prostitutes. They are not serious about having a meaningful discussion. I'm sure your intention here is to have a productive discussion, which is my objective too. (and many others on this thread)

From the response so far, two differing views have been provided... which have achieved the thread's objective. Good luck everyone.

Interested Investor Guest

Thumbs up Re: Properties in Geylang Area: Potential?

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil
    Hi "Interested Investor",
    What I am going to share with u might be contrary to the opinions of the Geylang or "prostitute" experts you have heard from. So you decide.

I own another Geylang unit (99 year leasehold) which I will not tell u where (since i have received so many judgemental comments. A few have even concluded that I am a property agent which I am not).

I will give u my advice based on my own experience in living there for at least 2 years - and renting my apartment for the last 7 years. I do not claim to be an expert (as I always try to learn from others esp the other experts in this forum) but I guess that qualifies me to give u my own 2 cents worth (vs many others who have made judgements based on their own subjective perceptions and impressions).

Here are 3 strategies
    Strategy #1: Get a condo near to the MRT stations (Paya Lebar or Aljunied) or the Circle line. While people tend to conclude that Geylang is a red-light district, in reality, the main activites are at lorongs (<20). There might be stray prostitutes from time to time - no choice.

Strategy #2: Do it the LEGAL way. Do not rent to any tom, dick (pun intended) or harry (another pun intended). No Students (let alone prostitutes). Ensure you check their documents. In my last 7 yrs, I have rent out to Chinese, Koreans, and Indians - all are legitimate working professionals in IT, banking (contrary to what is being said in this thread). I have never had to wait more than 1 month to find a tenant and i have not had huge difficulties collecting the rent. In fact, my current tenant is going to extend his current lease and increase his rent by another $500.

Strategy #3: Ensure you have ongoing "intelligence" of your tenants. Check with the guardhouse when you go there for maintenance. You will be surprised how much they know. Also ensure that the condo management knows who you are and how to contact you if there is an emergency. (this advice is applicable even outside Geylang). In my case, I insist that for air-con maintenance, the tenants use my contractor (who reports to me what is going on inside)

Having shared the above strategies, look for condos away from the main activity area. You can consider the odd-number lorongs like The Alcove, where banks are more open to providing loans. Then there are condos in Geylang Central and East (where all banks will provide loans - contrary to popular opinion. ).

A typical condo (>5 years) with 3 rooms cost between $450-550k. Assuming you place a 20% deposit (80%LTV:loan-to-value ratio), and go for the maximum loan period, you should be able to get a $300-500 positive monthly cashflow (that's extra cash after factoring in your condo maintenance).

There are people who are going to pour cold water on my recommendations but it's my own 2 cents worth since u asked.

While this thread has attracted serious investors, clowns, "prostitute" experts and kaypos who have provided entertaining, controversial and sometimes conflicting opinions, the fact is that the verdict is still open on the future of Geylang - which is going to be subjected to political, economic and social factors. For me, I am awaiting the Master Plan 2008 - which changes every 5 yrs. I have also based my investment plans on where Singapore is heading and not on opinions or perceptions.

Whether or not the red light district moves is immaterial to me. But if there are positive effects of IR, then I am sitting on a gold mine (make it 2). yes, I am taking a risk - and a few call me an idiot - but I have taken a calculated risk - with much upside. Good luck.

Disclaimer: accept my recommendations at your own risk. I will NOT share anymore other than the above
    Thks for your response to my query. They are useful considerations for me. I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to do it promptly as well. Pse don't get agitated by others negative comments on him and do continue to provide your views.

Geylang NO1! Guest

Talking Re: Properties in Geylang Area: Potential?

Quote Originally Posted by Shangrila
    Geylang is the best. Imagine buying and staying there. By standing at your PES(private enclosed space). 1.You have very nice views of people bonking at the opp. apartments. 2.Nice view of skimpy dressed women of different nationalities solicitating customers of all ages and races. 3).Realistic martial arts action between men and sometimes women of diff races and ages. Great place to live in and even better, to start a family. Best of it all, foreigners are all dying to live in geylang. Geylangs' global reputation as a exciting town streches even to the ends of Shangrila.
    After realizing the potential in Geylang, i am going to sell my The Sail and St Regis and focus all my energy, time and money in Geylang. That is where the true potential is. Based on what i get back from my sale, profit should be roughly 4 million. 4 million how many units can i buy in geylang? I need daredevil to advise me.

verbatin Guest

Hi Daredevil,

I hv been thinking abt getting a property at geylang too.

I agree with u. there is potential in geylang and rental yield is good. i am not counting on the master plan but rental yield is attractive enough for me to consider buying.

Atrium RESDIENCE only TOP in 2009. I am worried it maybe tough to service my loan (assuming i am able to get a bank loan) for the next 2 year without rental income.

In your opinion, are they any good freehold Apt/Condo beside atrium residence in Lor 26-28? i am only keen on freehold.

Since u own house at geylang, are u willing to disclose what is the net rental yield that u r getting?

Thanks
    Last edited by verbatin; 3rd May 2007 at 12:14 AM.

Unregistered Guest

Hey Daredevil!

Dont listen to the nay sayers, ive picked up a unit next to the Aljunied MRT and am loving the proximity to town, not to mention the great condo. Again, i bought it to stay for a few years and then rent out when i leave. The yields are excellent and the flats are big, contrary to what others are saying, there are plenty of different people who are renting out units there - not just the pros.

If the government cleans up then great, im rich! Im, not really in any rush & in 10 years, ill be amazed if they still keep the low rise geylang model of rundown shophouses given that the plot ratios in that area are 3 - 4! Check it out on the URA....

Think of it this way, when the government is putting up 50 story condos all over the island EXCEPT for geylang, ull be swimming about in ure pool with a low density lay out of only 8 stories... ;>

If not, no problem; still collecting good rental...

p.s. take it from someone who has lived in rough cities, the area aint that bad, just go to other countries like the US, UK, France etc... and then tell me if you think that Geylang is 'rough, a den of gambling and gangsters....' ;>

In fact, im off to buy another, buy 2 get one free!

Cheers!