Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Midges favorite hangout - Bedok Reservoir

Default Midges favorite hangout - Bedok Reservoir

By Kezia Toh

Midges are once again proving a nuisance at Bedok Reservoir - a year after they first 'bugged' residents there.

Since last week, residents and shopkeepers have once again had to swat away swarms of these tiny green and blue flies.

The insects, known scientifically as Chironomidae, do not bite or carry diseases but that is hardly a consolation for residents.

They told The Straits Times that the midges typically plague the vicinity in January and February, making daily activities inconvenient.

TO READ THE FULL STORY...

Subscribe

27 - 0
    LikeNo

Post as …

Sam
    22 hours ago
    Maybe there is a link between the tampines quarry park and the midges. Fogging bedok reservoir will not help if the midges originate from the sand dunes and/or water reservoir at the quarry.

zicronique
    1 day ago
    The first sign has already manifested itself with dead bodies turning the bedok reservoir red...
    This is the second sign for going against the higher power*
    "I will send swarms of flies upon thee"

Repent while you can!

tongue in cheek ah.. hopefully you guys don't need to start putting lamb blood on your doors, maybe it's in the form of loanshark runners splashing red paint on your doors..

Reficulman
    1 day ago
    I thought they said midgets.....

Xandra
    1 day ago
    I am a resident of Blk 720 Bedok Reservoir Road. The midges issue has returned to the neighbourhood since Dec 26, 2011. We have emailed and called the Aljunied Town Council (the Bedok Reservoir Road) several times to highlight the severity of this issue but no concrete action has been taken.
    The Town Council claimed that PUB and NEA have resumed fogging the reservoir but based on our experience with the midges in Jan 2011, this is not enough. The Town Council also claimed that PUB and NEA “have walked the walk” to monitor the situation. If that is the case, why are midges appearing on my ceiling as well as around void deck lamps in the area?
    I am curious to find out why the fogging was stopped and had only resumed recently. I had posed this question to the Town Council in one of my emails but no reply was given. In fact, there were no replies to my last three emails.
    hide 2 replies reply

Shawn Tan
    1 day ago
    I think that fogging is not enough. The Town Council should go and analyse why this is happening. Knowing the root of the problem is very important, don't just fog.
    *All these insects coming to Bedok will definitely have a reason on doing so, maybe it is environmental maybe it is because of some destruction to the eco-system etc.
    hide 1 reply reply
    Show more comments...

Definitely will have impact on resale and rental of Bedok Reservoir (especially waterfront) properties....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironomidae

"They are often associated with degraded or low biodiversity ecosystems because some species have adapted to virtually anoxic conditions and are dominant in polluted waters."

Hrmm...

Archipelego residents?
    Affordable means small

Quote Originally Posted by yjcai
    Archipelego residents?
    Those reservoir/tree facing units can do midges facial spa at their balcony every evening haa haa. Imagine a swamp of them crawing on your face eating the dead skin haa haa.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironomidae

"They are often associated with degraded or low biodiversity ecosystems because some species have adapted to virtually anoxic conditions and are dominant in polluted waters."

Hrmm...
    Ewwwwwwwww....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Heard from friends that only in Singapore people want to live beside the sea and reservoir! In overseas, people avoid like contacting disease! Reasons: Many, like tsunami, metals rust easily, mechanical things spoil easily, electronic things spoil easily, midges like what happen at Bedok Reservoir etc!

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    By Kezia Toh

Midges are once again proving a nuisance at Bedok Reservoir - a year after they first 'bugged' residents there.

Since last week, residents and shopkeepers have once again had to swat away swarms of these tiny green and blue flies.

The insects, known scientifically as Chironomidae, do not bite or carry diseases but that is hardly a consolation for residents.

They told The Straits Times that the midges typically plague the vicinity in January and February, making daily activities inconvenient.

TO READ THE FULL STORY...

Subscribe

27 - 0
    LikeNo

Post as …

Sam
    22 hours ago
    Maybe there is a link between the tampines quarry park and the midges. Fogging bedok reservoir will not help if the midges originate from the sand dunes and/or water reservoir at the quarry.

zicronique
    1 day ago
    The first sign has already manifested itself with dead bodies turning the bedok reservoir red...
    This is the second sign for going against the higher power*
    "I will send swarms of flies upon thee"

Repent while you can!

tongue in cheek ah.. hopefully you guys don't need to start putting lamb blood on your doors, maybe it's in the form of loanshark runners splashing red paint on your doors..

Reficulman
    1 day ago
    I thought they said midgets.....

Xandra
    1 day ago
    I am a resident of Blk 720 Bedok Reservoir Road. The midges issue has returned to the neighbourhood since Dec 26, 2011. We have emailed and called the Aljunied Town Council (the Bedok Reservoir Road) several times to highlight the severity of this issue but no concrete action has been taken.
    The Town Council claimed that PUB and NEA have resumed fogging the reservoir but based on our experience with the midges in Jan 2011, this is not enough. The Town Council also claimed that PUB and NEA “have walked the walk” to monitor the situation. If that is the case, why are midges appearing on my ceiling as well as around void deck lamps in the area?
    I am curious to find out why the fogging was stopped and had only resumed recently. I had posed this question to the Town Council in one of my emails but no reply was given. In fact, there were no replies to my last three emails.
    hide 2 replies reply

Shawn Tan
    1 day ago
    I think that fogging is not enough. The Town Council should go and analyse why this is happening. Knowing the root of the problem is very important, don't just fog.
    *All these insects coming to Bedok will definitely have a reason on doing so, maybe it is environmental maybe it is because of some destruction to the eco-system etc.
    hide 1 reply reply
    Show more comments...

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Heard from friends that only in Singapore people want to live beside the sea and reservoir! In overseas, people avoid like contacting disease! Reasons: Many, like tsunami, metals rust easily, mechanical things spoil easily, electronic things spoil easily, midges like what happen at Bedok Reservoir etc!
    Singaporans are indeed a illogical and fengshui mad bunch...

it is for the view and lifestyle

People believe superstition and hearsay to be fengshui. They think as long as there have wind, have water = good.
    Actually too windy (by the sea) and stagnant water (at reservoir) are not good considered good fengshui.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen
    People believe superstition and hearsay to be fengshui. They think as long as there have wind, have water = good.
    Actually too windy (by the sea) and stagnant water (at reservoir) are not good considered good fengshui.
    Agree. Like how every body is unique, there is no one size fits all for FS...

Hear say friend cycle at hantu Bedok Reservoir, got midgets right in his face, it is very very bad. To the extent you are there, there is a need to cover the mouth
    Affordable means small

More like Feng shui ignorant than mad?
    They don't know if got water but is bad is so much worse than without water?
    They don't know East Coast sea side is exposed & means Lou chai (leak money), so unless you so rich until leak also still very rich, otherwise better don't buy & live in East Coast sea facing properties!

Hear say friend cycle at hantu Bedok Reservoir, got midgets right in his face, it is very very bad. To the extent you are there, there is a need to cover the mouth
    OMG, sounds like the summer flies in Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    More like Feng shui ignorant than mad?
    They don't know if got water but is bad is so much worse than without water?
    They don't know East Coast sea side is exposed & means Lou chai (leak money), so unless you so rich until leak also still very rich, otherwise better don't buy & live in East Coast sea facing properties!
    But those who bought the sea facing properties in East Coast became rich.

More like they are rich and then buy East Coast sea facing properties?
    Also they are destined to be rich, only how rich, so those who bought East Coast sea facing properties end up being much less richer than they should be because their wealth has been leaked. Don't believe what I say? Go ask the really skillful & knowledgeable Fengshui masters (not those bullshit ones).

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    But those who bought the sea facing properties in East Coast became rich.

Midgets?...

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Midgets?...
    typo: midges! haha
    Affordable means small

typo: midges! haha
    Haha.. I know lah, was just kidding.

But it is funnier if the article was really talking about midgets instead

Imagine tattooed cocky and arrogant midgets with cigarettes dangling in the corner of their mouths gathering in large groups in Bedok Reservoir. Their unruly manner causing nuisance and annoyance to the residents.

All of them gather there to drown in bedok reservoir on a full moon night.

Haha.. I know lah, was just kidding.

But it is funnier if the article was really talking about midgets instead

Imagine tattooed cocky and arrogant midgets with cigarettes dangling in the corner of their mouths gathering in large groups in Bedok Reservoir. Their unruly manner causing nuisance and annoyance to the residents.
    Pls la. They drawn to lights meh and can fly into peoples mouths? Lol

Pls la. They drawn to lights meh and can fly into peoples mouths? Lol
    Haha... like I said, just kidding and I was just referring to yjcai's post.

If you read it again, you'll see it's like a funny report on thuggish midgets whose "in your face"

Haha... like I said, just kidding and I was just referring to yjcai's post.

If you read it again, you'll see it's like a funny report on thuggish midgets whose "in your face"
    I start to picture MiniMe from Austin Powers fame and the workers from Willy Wonka...

I start to picture MiniMe from Austin Powers fame and the workers from Willy Wonka...
    Those workers from Willy Wonka are creepier....

wet weather must be the contributing factor ... may be construction activities also
    Ride at your own risk !!!

NEA & PUB have published a booklet on the midges crisis:
    http://www.pub.gov.sg/mpublications/...nts/midges.pdf

LPPL already.

Someone must have destroyed their natural predators.

now I understand, reservoir is artificial, wetlands cannot form immediately ... whereas natural lakes will have natural wetlands to have more biodiversity thus predators can exist

For Bedok Reservoir, the peak appears to be at the end of the year or beginning of the following year.
    For Pandan Reservoir, the main peak appears to be during the June-July period, with a minor
    peak around October.
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    now I understand, reservoir is artificial, wetlands cannot form immediately ... whereas natural lakes will have natural wetlands to have more biodiversity thus predators can exist

For Bedok Reservoir, the peak appears to be at the end of the year or beginning of the following year.
    For Pandan Reservoir, the main peak appears to be during the June-July period, with a minor
    peak around October.
    This is a feedback from nature that something is not right about this resevoir/area.