Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1919 @ Sophia Road, FreeHold

err, that's 1819

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Might as well call it 1918 the year when somebody landed in sg... Then can really charge HISTORICAL pricing... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    err, that's 1819
    Woooops! I stand corrected pai sei. 1918 is my granny birthyear lol

Is this a new development or they just restore from existing shop houses??
    The colonial architecture is 10X better than KR .. but KR is high rise
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Monogram black and white balcony floor tiles. Uber cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
    Monogram black and white balcony floor tiles. Uber cool.
    Agree ... it is a shame that a constructor co can do a much better job in coherent design compared to big boys like FEO / CDL and CAPL

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Agree ... it is a shame that a constructor co can do a much better job in coherent design compared to big boys like FEO / CDL and CAPL
    $ and True Art goes on opp ends of a see saw.

wondering if the development will insist that all curtains will have to be either black and white?

Remind me of Toastbox

I like the ceiling fan. Something that is essential in tropical SG climate without resorting to aircon all the time. The black and white tiles remind me of the pre-renovated rooms in The Taj Mahal Palace hotel in Mumbai.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    I like the ceiling fan. Something that is essential in tropical SG climate without resorting to aircon all the time. The black and white tiles remind me of the pre-renovated rooms in The Taj Mahal Palace hotel in Mumbai.
    actually i find these type of ceiling fan more appealing than those modern design. maybe I am just a little more old school

B&W throughout COOL man

Just came back from 1919 showflat. LOL I declare the 3rm patio unit WORTH buying!

Some quick findings:
    - av 2k-2.2.k psf
    - 1rm cheapest 1.13mil, but u get full blast noon sun. when there at 4pm before, hot like siao
    - why 3rm w/ patio worth buying?
    3rm - 1001sqft [with 12sqm of balcony space] (~2kpsf)
    3rm w/ patio [with 12sqm of balcony+301sqft patio space] - 1302 sqft (1.6kpsf)
    Do the math n u will see why a why
    - st marg school might be moving soon
    - the hostel near that area, heard credo is putting that up on sale at gay pricing. They are handling sophia mansions now (http://www.credo.com.sg/InvestmentPr...1-cce14199e094)
    - Went there tcss with my KF agent, lol she so proudly say, if looking for the 2-3 rm non-sun facing, can forget abt it?? I hur hur she say until like confirm sell out since she claim oversubscribe

they are rebuilding it. there was a feature in The Edge some weeks back. Woh Hup originally wanted to just restore but after careful thought decided to rebuild and also incorporate all the good stuff u see in the pictures. that explains the "higher" psf.

Is this a new development or they just restore from existing shop houses??
    The colonial architecture is 10X better than KR .. but KR is high rise

This is no ordinary contractor, it is Woh Hup, one of the best or the best in town.

Quite a special name and project desgin wonder is there any web site to show more detail and where is actual showroom located and is it open for viewing?

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    This is no ordinary contractor, it is Woh Hup, one of the best or the best in town.

woh hup mai pray pray.. they in charge of marina bay construction, constructing 2 of tallest residential in singapore concurrently and many other projects.. i scream ice-cream!

what is the maintenance like?

B&W throughout COOL man
    Match very well with your avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0503
    Match very well with your avatar
    lol, phantom@1919

Opera 1919.

Black and white, no grey area?

And Aunty will like the bamboo roll up blinds.

Finally a developer who listens to our pleas to have more tropics-friendly design and not another copycat glass box. Bamboo blinds, timber materials and ceiling fans - all very appropriate for our climate. In the good old days, houses are built in this way.

blinds artas one ok..hehehe automatic one
    maintenance wise I cant remember,probably around 2xx if i am not wrong

There is a refurbishment wave sweeping across the globe,” declares property investment consultant Gavin Tee as early as last year. “During my many travels to countries such as India, Myanmar, Singapore and parts of Europe, I have seen a trend of old buildings in central locations being refurbished instead of demolished. It’s a trend that’s happening in Malaysia too,” says Tee.

Elaborating further, the consultant narrows down the reasons to two phenomena:

a.Globalisation – the wave of globalisation has brought about a huge amount of international travel with business and leisure travellers visiting cities resulting in city centres seeing a spike in foreign arrivals. Consequently, city centres are regaining its central position in the arts and cultural scene with tourists converging onto such areas which are teeming with cultural and historical significance. Cities such as Bangkok, Singapore and even Kuala Lumpur are well-known and easy to reach now with low cost airlines making these cities a transportation hub. Most international travellers are familiar with them. It also creates a lot of business opportunities in these cities.
    “Globalisation and tourism go handin-hand. The foreigners would like to visit places that have strong local flavours.
    They don’t want to see modern buildings. That’s why there is a huge demand for residential buildings or hotels to retain the old character. After refurbishment, the value shoots up,” Tee explains.

b.Urbanisation - Due to the focus back on city centres or inner cities which in many cases have limited space for further development, the only options are to refurbish or redevelop. Many cities worldwide such as Singapore and Beijing are now experiencing urban renewal as old houses which are not safe or clean to stay, are torn down to make way for the new.
    Old buildings are normally situated in the best or prime locations. From New York to London, from Paris to Bombay, from Beijing to Bangkok, all the prime properties are located in prime locations, which are usually in the core city centre.
    Refurbishment is particularly relevant for older buildings with historical significance, Tee continues. “For example, in Germany, refurbishment of buildings with listed status is big with the government supporting it by giving incentives. In Mumbai, many historical buildings are refurbished to house hotels and other businesses.”
    Like antique, old properties with history have more value. A lot of investors and developers attach great value to such properties, Tee reveals.
    He adds that human beings like to protect historical or cultural artefacts.
    “They just love to protect heritage or culture. Urbanisation and modernisation have picked up too fast in the 21st century, leading to China, India, and even to some extent Malaysia experiencing ‘hyper-urbanisation’. An example is when many shopping malls start sprouting everywhere. That has led to people wanting to preserve the past and their heritage,” he shares.
    In Malaysia, refurbishment works have increased in Penang and Melaka especially after they were declared UNESCO heritage sites while the Klang Valley has seen a steady increase. Section 14 in Petaling Jaya for example, has seen a lot of redevelopment taking place in the last few years while in Kuala Lumpur, the old quarters such as Jalan Petaling, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Medan Pasar, Pudu area, Jalan Imbi and Jalan Raja Laut are popular with refurbishment work.
    To buy or not old properties? Given the appeal of old properties, shouldn’t investors start accumulating them? “Yes, definitely. Old buildings are recession proof during downturns.
    The heritage building or building with historical character will always maintain its value throughout the times. Old buildings are cheaper than new ones now, so I advise looking into properties with refurbishment potential especially those in the city centre that’s located at or near tourist spots. But, you need to do your homework on the refurbishment costs, including familiarising yourself with the local authorities’ regulations as there might be some restrictions,” the Founder and President of SwhengTee real estate investment club says.
    “I advise people to buy old landed bungalows in Penang, old shoplots in Melaka and certain parts in KL, for example Jalan Raja Laut, Pudu, Jalan Alor, and all areas near Bukit Bintang.” Of note are old development areas which have limitation for further development such as Jalan Alor, which are surrounded by modern buildings. All the shoplots there have individual titles.
    Shoplots in Changkat Bukit Bintang (near Jalan Alor) are hard to value as they have unlimited potential, shares the investment consultant.
    “Bungalows in Georgetown may be priced RM5 million today. It can even go up to RM10 million within a few years. This trend has happened in many places in the world especially third world countries like Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam,” Tee says.
    The overseas experience: In the UK, the refurbishment market has been growing steadily since the 1970s (Kincaid, 2002), says Associate Professor Dr. Syahrul Nizam Kamaruzzaman, Deputy Dean (Research & Development) Faculty of the Built Environment, University of Malaya. “In mid 1990s, refurbishment activity represented 42 per cent of the total construction output (categorised as repair and maintenance) compared to 22.5 per cent in 1970.”
    Similarly, up to 50 percent of the construction budget in US was spent in the form of refurbishment of existing buildings, reveals Associate Professor Dr Azlan Shah Ali, Deputy Dean (Higher Degree) of the Faculty of Built Environment, University of Malaya.
    This is pretty good evidence that as a country moves towards developed status, more of its aged buildings will undergo refurbishment sparking a trend.

Read more: Great investment in refurbished old properties - RED - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/red/great-inve...#ixzz1xBAfieEE

Smile

Oh pricing out liao; not bad seems that it is priced to sell considering woh hup rebuilding:

3rm with patio - 1572 Psf down from 1600 Psf
    3rm - 1948 Psf down from 2k Psf
    1rm patio 657sqft - 1796 Psf
    1rm 560sqft - 2008psf #02-14

Monthly fee $280 onwards

Lol looks like another $30-50 goodwill EU uncertainty discount.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax
    Oh pricing out liao; not bad seems that it is priced to sell considering woh hup rebuilding:

3rm with patio - 1572 Psf down from 1600 Psf
    3rm - 1948 Psf down from 2k Psf
    1rm patio 657sqft - 1796 Psf
    1rm 560sqft - 2008psf #02-14

Monthly fee $280 onwards

Lol looks like another $30-50 goodwill EU uncertainty discount.
    discounted price? Any stamp duty rebate?

Quote Originally Posted by Poloclub
    discounted price? Any stamp duty rebate?
    Lol all discount inclusive Liao.. 1572 woh hop not making much money... How much lower ?

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax
    Lol all discount inclusive Liao.. 1572 woh hop not making much money... How much lower ?
    they are construction company right? So I think you can lower their cost by $50psf at least. Especially when construction material price are coming down.

Just came back from showroom... Like madhouse there! So crowded!

Most units are sold... Seems very popular!

Design is very nice, but finishing not great... Laminate floors!?

Good ... at least developers will now wake up and put more effort into design ... good design / niche project does sell in Singapore

Hope we will be like Taiwan one day ... many boutique projects that attract like-minded people to stay together

Then we probably have a project called Gays Village