Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 185

Thread: Singapore Billion dollar project.

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    695

    Default

    The contention is not whether yog is beneficial, it is more than $200 million into the drain coz budget should not even exceed $90 million which is already at the high end of the estimate. There are much cheaper ways to advertise Singapore on the world stage and in any case, Singapore is already known with or without yog. As you have said, much could be done with that money locally and the money could have been put to much better use.

    Quote Originally Posted by Royston8H View Post
    Yog is beneficial n pro sg initiative for sure. There r intangible benefits. If youth is impt, gov shd spend e equivalent to provide more sub subsidy to pre sch n uni from more practical perspectives to help sporeans to cope rising living stds

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Sails
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Agreed. Overbudgetting is hardpain. Thats our money from taxes. But at least the govt is gutsy to take on such challenges n innovatively peach for yog while sg can never be able to compete for adult olympics. The only thing I hope is they have to do more careful planning next time n learnt from the mistakes. While aiming to be the best organiser to impress the world, shd also practice budget prudence.



    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    The contention is not whether yog is beneficial, it is more than $200 million into the drain coz budget should not even exceed $90 million which is already at the high end of the estimate. There are much cheaper ways to advertise Singapore on the world stage and in any case, Singapore is already known with or without yog. As you have said, much could be done with that money locally and the money could have been put to much better use.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    Don't talk cock lah. Olympics is international event watched by many, Youth Olympics who watch and who care?! Which big money spenders will fly to Singapore to watch Youth Olympics vs Olympics?

    If Singapore can get to host Olympics then overbudgeting may be OK because we can get many participants and tourists revenues from many big spenders, but for some event like Youth Olympics that not many watch and care, and the participants have little money to spend in Singapore, all those talking about putting Singapore in the eye of the world and the event benefiting businesses in Singapore are all hogwash!

    Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    wats the big deal. its advertising, $ to local business. Which Olympics event not over budget ?

    Nahh latest 1... Winter Olympics 4 X over budget
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/04/sp...y-the-numbers/

    London Olympics 2005 5 X!
    http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blog...s-over-budget/

    Rios 2016 is already up 27%
    http://sports.ca.msn.com/olympics/ri...by-27-per-cent

    So tell me something new? and those are in Billions.

    WTF is 300M anyway.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Those examples you cited are for the main Olympics, which is a different thing altogether. It is like comparing a picasso painting with one done by picasso's daughter.

    Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    wats the big deal. its advertising, $ to local business. Which Olympics event not over budget ?

    Nahh latest 1... Winter Olympics 4 X over budget
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/04/sp...y-the-numbers/

    London Olympics 2005 5 X!
    http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blog...s-over-budget/

    Rios 2016 is already up 27%
    http://sports.ca.msn.com/olympics/ri...by-27-per-cent

    So tell me something new? and those are in Billions.

    WTF is 300M anyway.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    695

    Default

    People get thrown into jail for stealing just a can of beer from a supermarket, for blowing $200+ million more of the budget, shouldn't the sacking of balakrishnan be the most minimal and decent thing to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Royston8H View Post
    Agreed. Overbudgetting is hardpain. Thats our money from taxes. But at least the govt is gutsy to take on such challenges n innovatively peach for yog while sg can never be able to compete for adult olympics. The only thing I hope is they have to do more careful planning next time n learnt from the mistakes. While aiming to be the best organiser to impress the world, shd also practice budget prudence.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Sails
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Is YOG an overall success to you? Different people may have different views.

    I think theft and this over budgetting case is quite a different thingy. If this is another $200 million misuse case, then that is a no brainer thing to do as per your suggestion plus jail. If it is a mis-plan, what is the root cause of it and if it is already fixed internally? Is such misplan due to spore team or overseas factors?

    Should we have another YOG and what is the best way to do so? It is easy to comment but tough to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    People get thrown into jail for stealing just a can of beer from a supermarket, for blowing $200+ million more of the budget, shouldn't the sacking of balakrishnan be the most minimal and decent thing to do?

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    695

    Default

    To me wasting $200 million of taxpayers money is more of a felony than stealing a can of beer from the supermarket. Ask any man on the street n see what their response is. I can forgive the man who went to jail stealing a can of beer more than the one who overspent $200 million of the natoon's money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Royston8H View Post
    Is YOG an overall success to you? Different people may have different views.

    I think theft and this over budgetting case is quite a different thingy. If this is another $200 million misuse case, then that is a no brainer thing to do as per your suggestion plus jail. If it is a mis-plan, what is the root cause of it and if it is already fixed internally? Is such misplan due to spore team or overseas factors?

    Should we have another YOG and what is the best way to do so? It is easy to comment but tough to do.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Why is there also no inquiry into the overspending on yog? $200 million in excess is just an honest mistake from government n we should just move on?? Where is that accountability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Royston8H View Post
    Is YOG an overall success to you? Different people may have different views.

    I think theft and this over budgetting case is quite a different thingy. If this is another $200 million misuse case, then that is a no brainer thing to do as per your suggestion plus jail. If it is a mis-plan, what is the root cause of it and if it is already fixed internally? Is such misplan due to spore team or overseas factors?

    Should we have another YOG and what is the best way to do so? It is easy to comment but tough to do.

  9. #69

    Default

    nowadays there are many things questionable liao. look at F1, you cannot see the benefit but hey will claim it is beneficial. Argue till cow come home

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    695

    Default

    For F1 we are the first country to host the night race which made history n moreover it was quasi govt spending. Moreover there wasnt much that can be done with the cost coz F1 set the price. Yog is a different thing, the budgeting was in the hands of bala n gang.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle View Post
    nowadays there are many things questionable liao. look at F1, you cannot see the benefit but hey will claim it is beneficial. Argue till cow come home

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Sails
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Yo, $200million is a hard pain as mentioned earlier. So do every Singaporean.

    I think there was also quite a lot of heated argument in other forums when that news was bought up. I believe public feedback were already taken into considerations for the appraisal of the related ministry.

    What happen to MCYS after YOG 2010? Reorg to MSY and MCCY in Nov 2012. Both ministries still do their public services well to singaporeans and not leaving you and me to serve the elders, disabled, distress and youth.

    But if we do not move on from that pain, how? Do excuse me to be out from this thread....


    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    Why is there also no inquiry into the overspending on yog? $200 million in excess is just an honest mistake from government n we should just move on?? Where is that accountability?

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Think you still don't understand what accountability means. Accountability means paying for one's mistakes first before moving on, not moving on from that mistake by just shaking off the damage done. The only way for accountability to be shown here is for the minister involved to be booted out. Ministerial responsibility is the fundamental principal in constitutional law if you don't already know that.

    Go and read what ministerial responsibility is:

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiv...responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Royston8H View Post
    Yo, $200million is a hard pain as mentioned earlier. So do every Singaporean.

    I think there was also quite a lot of heated argument in other forums when that news was bought up. I believe public feedback were already taken into considerations for the appraisal of the related ministry.

    What happen to MCYS after YOG 2010? Reorg to MSY and MCCY in Nov 2012. Both ministries still do their public services well to singaporeans and not leaving you and me to serve the elders, disabled, distress and youth.

    But if we do not move on from that pain, how? Do excuse me to be out from this thread....

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Sails
    Posts
    366

    Red face

    Bro, there is no point shouting in this property forum unless you decide to take any legal actions against whoever to make them accountable for that over budgetting of $200million for YOG.

    You to sue to the govt/Minister to make them accountable or join the opposition party to bring up this over budgetting matter?

    I am neutral to this matter and this does not imply i think $200million over budgetting is not an issue. But i choose to move on.

    And i dont really need to read such article to understand ministerial accountability. This is not a political/about singapore forum. Perhaps realsingapore - complaint section can be a better channel for you to vent your frustration.

    You can be right or you can be rich. Up to you really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    Think you still don't understand what accountability means. Accountability means paying for one's mistakes first before moving on, not moving on from that mistake by just shaking off the damage done. The only way for accountability to be shown here is for the minister involved to be booted out. Ministerial responsibility is the fundamental principal in constitutional law if you don't already know that.

    Go and read what ministerial responsibility is:

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiv...responsibility

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    695

    Default

    I am surprised at your nonchalant attitude towards the $200+ million blown away unless you are a foreigner of course. This forum has morphed into a forum for all sorts of conversation be it property or politics in case you don't know that. To have you posting the message implicitly or explicitly that it is ok for govt to blow away $200 million of our money n we should just move on is a dangerous way of thinking n insinuating the wrong values of citizenship. Firstly, the minister has admitted to spending over the budget and you choose to accept that and move on? To be reasonable, overspending by a few million can be stomached, but $200+million and your message is to just forget it and move on? My purpose of flagging this issue up is to let you know that it is not forgotten n justice has not been done. I dread to think what the country would become if everyone thinks that it is ok for ministers to just blow hundreds of millions of dollars of people's money and just be allowed move on without any accountability. By the way, the article on ministerial responsibility is fundamental to common law countries like Singapore that adopt the Westminster style of government, your nonchalance to that or your lack of knowledge simply shows your ignorance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Royston8H View Post
    Bro, there is no point shouting in this property forum unless you decide to take any legal actions against whoever to make them accountable for that over budgetting of $200million for YOG.

    You to sue to the govt/Minister to make them accountable or join the opposition party to bring up this over budgetting matter?

    I am neutral to this matter and this does not imply i think $200million over budgetting is not an issue. But i choose to move on.

    And i dont really need to read such article to understand ministerial accountability. This is not a political/about singapore forum. Perhaps realsingapore - complaint section can be a better channel for you to vent your frustration.

    You can be right or you can be rich. Up to you really.
    Last edited by Patrickstar; 23rd February 2014 at 12:34 PM.

  15. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    I am surprised at your nonchalant attitude towards the $200+ million blown away unless you are a foreigner of course. This forum has morphed into a forum for all sorts of conversation be it property or politics in case you don't know that. To have you posting the message implicitly or explicitly that it is ok for govt to blow away $200 million of our money n we should just move on is a dangerous way of thinking n insinuating the wrong values of citizenship. Firstly, the minister has admitted to spending over the budget and you choose to accept that and move on? To be reasonable, overspending by a few million can be stomached, but $200+million and your message is to just forget it and move on? My purpose of flagging this issue up is to let you know that it is not forgotten n justice has not been done. I dread to think what the country would become if everyone thinks that it is ok for ministers to just blow hundreds of millions of dollars of people's money and just be allowed move on without any accountability. By the way, the article on ministerial responsibility is fundamental to common law countries like Singapore that adopt the Westminster style of government, your nonchalance to that or your lack of knowledge simply shows your ignorance.
    Another XENOPHOBIC.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

    OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

    https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    695

    Default

    How am I xenophobic? Anything wrong in saying that foreigners won't care about our govt losing our nation's money more than singaporeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    Another XENOPHOBIC.

  17. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    I am surprised at your nonchalant attitude towards the $200+ million blown away unless you are a foreigner of course. This forum has morphed into a forum for all sorts of conversation be it property or politics in case you don't know that. To have you posting the message implicitly or explicitly that it is ok for govt to blow away $200 million of our money n we should just move on is a dangerous way of thinking n insinuating the wrong values of citizenship. Firstly, the minister has admitted to spending over the budget and you choose to accept that and move on? To be reasonable, overspending by a few million can be stomached, but $200+million and your message is to just forget it and move on? My purpose of flagging this issue up is to let you know that it is not forgotten n justice has not been done. I dread to think what the country would become if everyone thinks that it is ok for ministers to just blow hundreds of millions of dollars of people's money and just be allowed move on without any accountability. By the way, the article on ministerial responsibility is fundamental to common law countries like Singapore that adopt the Westminster style of government, your nonchalance to that or your lack of knowledge simply shows your ignorance.
    What right do you have to attack someone for making his views on this forum??!!

  18. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    I am surprised at your nonchalant attitude towards the $200+ million blown away unless you are a foreigner of course. This forum has morphed into a forum for all sorts of conversation be it property or politics in case you don't know that. To have you posting the message implicitly or explicitly that it is ok for govt to blow away $200 million of our money n we should just move on is a dangerous way of thinking n insinuating the wrong values of citizenship. Firstly, the minister has admitted to spending over the budget and you choose to accept that and move on? To be reasonable, overspending by a few million can be stomached, but $200+million and your message is to just forget it and move on? My purpose of flagging this issue up is to let you know that it is not forgotten n justice has not been done. I dread to think what the country would become if everyone thinks that it is ok for ministers to just blow hundreds of millions of dollars of people's money and just be allowed move on without any accountability. By the way, the article on ministerial responsibility is fundamental to common law countries like Singapore that adopt the Westminster style of government, your nonchalance to that or your lack of knowledge simply shows your ignorance.
    What right do one have to attack someone for making his views on this forum??!! Seriously, if you really want to pursue the matter, shouting in this forum will not get you anywhere. Please do us a favor by getting yourself elected and question the minister in parliament.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Attack? A few exchanges and you call that attack? Don't think you are such a wuss as Anton Casey puts it. Don't prove him right please.

    So you have been brainwashed to think that only elected members in parliament can air their displeasures about govt? So you are implying that ordinary citizens have no right to air their views about the govt in the forum? Who are you to say n imply that?

    Quote Originally Posted by 081828 View Post
    What right do one have to attack someone for making his views on this forum??!! Seriously, if you really want to pursue the matter, shouting in this forum will not get you anywhere. Please do us a favor by getting yourself elected and question the minister in parliament.

  20. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    Attack? A few exchanges and you call that attack? Don't think you are such a wuss as Anton Casey puts it. Don't prove him right please.

    So you have been brainwashed to think that only elected members in parliament can air their displeasures about govt? So you are implying that ordinary citizens have no right to air their views about the govt in the forum? Who are you to say n imply that?
    Do us a favour. Don't just be a keyboard warrior. Organise a protest at hong lim park. See u there.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •