Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Singapore Billion dollar project.

The contention is not whether yog is beneficial, it is more than $200 million into the drain coz budget should not even exceed $90 million which is already at the high end of the estimate. There are much cheaper ways to advertise Singapore on the world stage and in any case, Singapore is already known with or without yog. As you have said, much could be done with that money locally and the money could have been put to much better use.

Quote Originally Posted by Royston8H View Post
    Yog is beneficial n pro sg initiative for sure. There r intangible benefits. If youth is impt, gov shd spend e equivalent to provide more sub subsidy to pre sch n uni from more practical perspectives to help sporeans to cope rising living stds

Agreed. Overbudgetting is hardpain. Thats our money from taxes. But at least the govt is gutsy to take on such challenges n innovatively peach for yog while sg can never be able to compete for adult olympics. The only thing I hope is they have to do more careful planning next time n learnt from the mistakes. While aiming to be the best organiser to impress the world, shd also practice budget prudence.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    The contention is not whether yog is beneficial, it is more than $200 million into the drain coz budget should not even exceed $90 million which is already at the high end of the estimate. There are much cheaper ways to advertise Singapore on the world stage and in any case, Singapore is already known with or without yog. As you have said, much could be done with that money locally and the money could have been put to much better use.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Don't talk cock lah. Olympics is international event watched by many, Youth Olympics who watch and who care?! Which big money spenders will fly to Singapore to watch Youth Olympics vs Olympics?

If Singapore can get to host Olympics then overbudgeting may be OK because we can get many participants and tourists revenues from many big spenders, but for some event like Youth Olympics that not many watch and care, and the participants have little money to spend in Singapore, all those talking about putting Singapore in the eye of the world and the event benefiting businesses in Singapore are all hogwash!

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    wats the big deal. its advertising, $ to local business. Which Olympics event not over budget ?

Nahh latest 1... Winter Olympics 4 X over budget
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/04/sp...y-the-numbers/

London Olympics 2005 5 X!
    http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blog...s-over-budget/

Rios 2016 is already up 27%
    http://sports.ca.msn.com/olympics/ri...by-27-per-cent

So tell me something new? and those are in Billions.

WTF is 300M anyway.

Those examples you cited are for the main Olympics, which is a different thing altogether. It is like comparing a picasso painting with one done by picasso's daughter.

wats the big deal. its advertising, $ to local business. Which Olympics event not over budget ?

Nahh latest 1... Winter Olympics 4 X over budget
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/04/sp...y-the-numbers/

London Olympics 2005 5 X!
    http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blog...s-over-budget/

Rios 2016 is already up 27%
    http://sports.ca.msn.com/olympics/ri...by-27-per-cent

So tell me something new? and those are in Billions.

WTF is 300M anyway.

People get thrown into jail for stealing just a can of beer from a supermarket, for blowing $200+ million more of the budget, shouldn't the sacking of balakrishnan be the most minimal and decent thing to do?

Agreed. Overbudgetting is hardpain. Thats our money from taxes. But at least the govt is gutsy to take on such challenges n innovatively peach for yog while sg can never be able to compete for adult olympics. The only thing I hope is they have to do more careful planning next time n learnt from the mistakes. While aiming to be the best organiser to impress the world, shd also practice budget prudence.

Is YOG an overall success to you? Different people may have different views.

I think theft and this over budgetting case is quite a different thingy. If this is another $200 million misuse case, then that is a no brainer thing to do as per your suggestion plus jail. If it is a mis-plan, what is the root cause of it and if it is already fixed internally? Is such misplan due to spore team or overseas factors?

Should we have another YOG and what is the best way to do so? It is easy to comment but tough to do.

People get thrown into jail for stealing just a can of beer from a supermarket, for blowing $200+ million more of the budget, shouldn't the sacking of balakrishnan be the most minimal and decent thing to do?

To me wasting $200 million of taxpayers money is more of a felony than stealing a can of beer from the supermarket. Ask any man on the street n see what their response is. I can forgive the man who went to jail stealing a can of beer more than the one who overspent $200 million of the natoon's money.

I think theft and this over budgetting case is quite a different thingy. If this is another $200 million misuse case, then that is a no brainer thing to do as per your suggestion plus jail. If it is a mis-plan, what is the root cause of it and if it is already fixed internally? Is such misplan due to spore team or overseas factors?

Should we have another YOG and what is the best way to do so? It is easy to comment but tough to do.

Why is there also no inquiry into the overspending on yog? $200 million in excess is just an honest mistake from government n we should just move on?? Where is that accountability?

nowadays there are many things questionable liao. look at F1, you cannot see the benefit but hey will claim it is beneficial. Argue till cow come home

For F1 we are the first country to host the night race which made history n moreover it was quasi govt spending. Moreover there wasnt much that can be done with the cost coz F1 set the price. Yog is a different thing, the budgeting was in the hands of bala n gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle View Post
    nowadays there are many things questionable liao. look at F1, you cannot see the benefit but hey will claim it is beneficial. Argue till cow come home

Yo, $200million is a hard pain as mentioned earlier. So do every Singaporean.

I think there was also quite a lot of heated argument in other forums when that news was bought up. I believe public feedback were already taken into considerations for the appraisal of the related ministry.

What happen to MCYS after YOG 2010? Reorg to MSY and MCCY in Nov 2012. Both ministries still do their public services well to singaporeans and not leaving you and me to serve the elders, disabled, distress and youth.

But if we do not move on from that pain, how? Do excuse me to be out from this thread....

Why is there also no inquiry into the overspending on yog? $200 million in excess is just an honest mistake from government n we should just move on?? Where is that accountability?

Think you still don't understand what accountability means. Accountability means paying for one's mistakes first before moving on, not moving on from that mistake by just shaking off the damage done. The only way for accountability to be shown here is for the minister involved to be booted out. Ministerial responsibility is the fundamental principal in constitutional law if you don't already know that.

Go and read what ministerial responsibility is:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiv...responsibility

Yo, $200million is a hard pain as mentioned earlier. So do every Singaporean.

I think there was also quite a lot of heated argument in other forums when that news was bought up. I believe public feedback were already taken into considerations for the appraisal of the related ministry.

What happen to MCYS after YOG 2010? Reorg to MSY and MCCY in Nov 2012. Both ministries still do their public services well to singaporeans and not leaving you and me to serve the elders, disabled, distress and youth.

But if we do not move on from that pain, how? Do excuse me to be out from this thread....

Red face

Bro, there is no point shouting in this property forum unless you decide to take any legal actions against whoever to make them accountable for that over budgetting of $200million for YOG.

You to sue to the govt/Minister to make them accountable or join the opposition party to bring up this over budgetting matter?

I am neutral to this matter and this does not imply i think $200million over budgetting is not an issue. But i choose to move on.

And i dont really need to read such article to understand ministerial accountability. This is not a political/about singapore forum. Perhaps realsingapore - complaint section can be a better channel for you to vent your frustration.

You can be right or you can be rich. Up to you really.

Think you still don't understand what accountability means. Accountability means paying for one's mistakes first before moving on, not moving on from that mistake by just shaking off the damage done. The only way for accountability to be shown here is for the minister involved to be booted out. Ministerial responsibility is the fundamental principal in constitutional law if you don't already know that.

Go and read what ministerial responsibility is:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiv...responsibility

I am surprised at your nonchalant attitude towards the $200+ million blown away unless you are a foreigner of course. This forum has morphed into a forum for all sorts of conversation be it property or politics in case you don't know that. To have you posting the message implicitly or explicitly that it is ok for govt to blow away $200 million of our money n we should just move on is a dangerous way of thinking n insinuating the wrong values of citizenship. Firstly, the minister has admitted to spending over the budget and you choose to accept that and move on? To be reasonable, overspending by a few million can be stomached, but $200+million and your message is to just forget it and move on? My purpose of flagging this issue up is to let you know that it is not forgotten n justice has not been done. I dread to think what the country would become if everyone thinks that it is ok for ministers to just blow hundreds of millions of dollars of people's money and just be allowed move on without any accountability. By the way, the article on ministerial responsibility is fundamental to common law countries like Singapore that adopt the Westminster style of government, your nonchalance to that or your lack of knowledge simply shows your ignorance.

Bro, there is no point shouting in this property forum unless you decide to take any legal actions against whoever to make them accountable for that over budgetting of $200million for YOG.

You to sue to the govt/Minister to make them accountable or join the opposition party to bring up this over budgetting matter?

I am neutral to this matter and this does not imply i think $200million over budgetting is not an issue. But i choose to move on.

And i dont really need to read such article to understand ministerial accountability. This is not a political/about singapore forum. Perhaps realsingapore - complaint section can be a better channel for you to vent your frustration.

You can be right or you can be rich. Up to you really.
    Last edited by Patrickstar; 23-02-14 at 11:34.

I am surprised at your nonchalant attitude towards the $200+ million blown away unless you are a foreigner of course. This forum has morphed into a forum for all sorts of conversation be it property or politics in case you don't know that. To have you posting the message implicitly or explicitly that it is ok for govt to blow away $200 million of our money n we should just move on is a dangerous way of thinking n insinuating the wrong values of citizenship. Firstly, the minister has admitted to spending over the budget and you choose to accept that and move on? To be reasonable, overspending by a few million can be stomached, but $200+million and your message is to just forget it and move on? My purpose of flagging this issue up is to let you know that it is not forgotten n justice has not been done. I dread to think what the country would become if everyone thinks that it is ok for ministers to just blow hundreds of millions of dollars of people's money and just be allowed move on without any accountability. By the way, the article on ministerial responsibility is fundamental to common law countries like Singapore that adopt the Westminster style of government, your nonchalance to that or your lack of knowledge simply shows your ignorance.
    Another XENOPHOBIC.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

How am I xenophobic? Anything wrong in saying that foreigners won't care about our govt losing our nation's money more than singaporeans?

Another XENOPHOBIC.

What right do you have to attack someone for making his views on this forum??!!

What right do one have to attack someone for making his views on this forum??!! Seriously, if you really want to pursue the matter, shouting in this forum will not get you anywhere. Please do us a favor by getting yourself elected and question the minister in parliament.

Attack? A few exchanges and you call that attack? Don't think you are such a wuss as Anton Casey puts it. Don't prove him right please.

So you have been brainwashed to think that only elected members in parliament can air their displeasures about govt? So you are implying that ordinary citizens have no right to air their views about the govt in the forum? Who are you to say n imply that?

Quote Originally Posted by 081828 View Post
    What right do one have to attack someone for making his views on this forum??!! Seriously, if you really want to pursue the matter, shouting in this forum will not get you anywhere. Please do us a favor by getting yourself elected and question the minister in parliament.

Attack? A few exchanges and you call that attack? Don't think you are such a wuss as Anton Casey puts it. Don't prove him right please.

So you have been brainwashed to think that only elected members in parliament can air their displeasures about govt? So you are implying that ordinary citizens have no right to air their views about the govt in the forum? Who are you to say n imply that?
    Do us a favour. Don't just be a keyboard warrior. Organise a protest at hong lim park. See u there.

You know the difference between protesting at hong lim n writing in forum? When I post in forum, many can enjoy reading my posts over a prolonged period of time. When I protest at hong lim, only people who go down to hong lim get to listen. Welcome to the Internet if you don't already know its usefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by 081828 View Post
    Do us a favour. Don't just be a keyboard warrior. Organise a protest at hong lim park. See u there.

You know the difference between protesting at hong lim n writing in forum? When I post in forum, many can enjoy reading my posts over a prolonged period of time. When I protest at hong lim, only people who go down to hong lim get to listen. Welcome to the Internet if you don't already know its usefulness.
    Actually you can consider doing both - protest at hong lim and post in forum. That way you corner all parties. After you get enough popularity, then you can join or form a new opposition and if majority believe in you then you can form a govt and take whoever at fault to task.

40+% of our population who are against govt policy have to become govt to voice grievances against wrong policies? Is the parliament big enough to accommodate more than a million singaporeans? Before you post anything, please think

Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Actually you can consider doing both - protest at hong lim and post in forum. That way you corner all parties. After you get enough popularity, then you can join or form a new opposition and if majority believe in you then you can form a govt and take whoever at fault to task.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWtrbGWixRQ

We need the GREEK type of government, property price will be very cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZc6oD0WfW8

Disagreed. Greek properties? Will u buy? Properties which are cheap n cant even appreciate are wasting our time.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWtrbGWixRQ

We need the GREEK type of government, property price will be very cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZc6oD0WfW8

I suggest you to be a politician, show us your mighty knowledge and capability as an unbiased political leader. Then educate all of us here in this forum and influence all of us. And you will gain my respect. In fact, you should already do so back in 2010 to be serious about this matter and not until 2014.

If not, venting all your frustrations over here in this forum and lecturing every one of us in this forum does not earn any respect from me.

As said in my initial comment and repeated for the fourth time in case if you missed it earlier, $200million overbudgeting for YOG was not something every Singaporeans including myself are happy about it. It's a hard pain. I think govt should spend more instead on Singaporeans to lighten our burden in medical, education, COE and housing of course.

Why i choose on is because i am just an average Singaporean who is happy that i am a Singaporean but i know politics is not my cup of tea and such matter is not within my locus of control or focus.

Please do not twist my words anyhow just because i choose to move on and you want to prove me wrong or ignorance. We should learn to respect each other.

40+% of our population who are against govt policy have to become govt to voice grievances against wrong policies? Is the parliament big enough to accommodate more than a million singaporeans? Before you post anything, please think
    Did I say 40+% of population to become govt? Before you reply, please read

You were suggesting that only those in govt can voice displeasure against ministerial action, so wouldn't it be the case that you are also suggesting the same thing to 40% of singaporean voters (numbering to 1 million+) who voice displeasure against govt n choose to vote for opposition? So I ask you whether there are that many seats in parliament to house one million over dissenters who wish to voice displeasure against govt policies. Didn't realise I need to spell things out so clearly to you before you get it

Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Did I say 40+% of population to become govt? Before you reply, please read

Why does one need to be politician to discuss politics and voice dissent? By the mere fact that we are citizens of a country with voting rights, we are already political beings that have every right to question govt decisions. You going to argue this is not the right place? Go and read through most of the threads in this forum, almost everyone is discussing politics here in some form or another, even talking about property cooling measures involve politics. You not happy with politics then you may want to find yourself a no man's land to live.

I suggest you to be a politician, show us your mighty knowledge and capability as an unbiased political leader. Then educate all of us here in this forum and influence all of us. And you will gain my respect. In fact, you should already do so back in 2010 to be serious about this matter and not until 2014.

If not, venting all your frustrations over here in this forum and lecturing every one of us in this forum does not earn any respect from me.

As said in my initial comment and repeated for the fourth time in case if you missed it earlier, $200million overbudgeting for YOG was not something every Singaporeans including myself are happy about it. It's a hard pain. I think govt should spend more instead on Singaporeans to lighten our burden in medical, education, COE and housing of course.

Why i choose on is because i am just an average Singaporean who is happy that i am a Singaporean but i know politics is not my cup of tea and such matter is not within my locus of control or focus.

Please do not twist my words anyhow just because i choose to move on and you want to prove me wrong or ignorance. We should learn to respect each other.

You were suggesting that only those in govt can voice displeasure against ministerial action, so wouldn't it be the case that you are also suggesting the same thing to 40% of singaporean voters (numbering to 1 million+) who voice displeasure against govt n choose to vote for opposition? So I ask you whether there are that many seats in parliament to house one million over dissenters who wish to voice displeasure against govt policies. Didn't realise I need to spell things out so clearly to you before you get it
    My my.... Did I suggest that only those in govt can voice displeasure? Didn't I suggest that you can voice displeasure at Hong Lim and forum?

You put words into my mouth and all the wrong ones too.

Didn't realize I need to explain it so clearly to you and maybe you still don't get it

Anyway you win ok? You are the best. My time better spent elsewhere