Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Singapore Billion dollar project.

Think you have really short term memory. Go n read your own post below. You suggesting ordinary folks have no right to take ministers to task n have to form govt first? What rubbish are you insinuating here, please clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Actually you can consider doing both - protest at hong lim and post in forum. That way you corner all parties. After you get enough popularity, then you can join or form a new opposition and if majority believe in you then you can form a govt and take whoever at fault to task.

It is because a politician can make decisions and harness views/votes national wide and not just this forum while a voter just simply vote. It's your right to voice dissent and vote what you think it is correct. I did'nt say you can't. What i said before is, dont just call people ignorance and lack of knowledge if you wish to influence him/her.

If you choose to influence or convince me, then be a politician and not just a voter or what others in this thread say being a keyboard warrior. I like this term "keyboard warrior", that's pretty innovative.

But please do not twist my words again. I already said i am happy to be a Singaporean and to live in Singapore happily. Politics is not my cup of tea does not mean that i am/not happy with politics and have to live in no man land.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    Why does one need to be politician to discuss politics and voice dissent? By the mere fact that we are citizens of a country with voting rights, we are already political beings that have every right to question govt decisions. You going to argue this is not the right place? Go and read through most of the threads in this forum, almost everyone is discussing politics here in some form or another, even talking about property cooling measures involve politics. You not happy with politics then you may want to find yourself a no man's land to live.

How am I xenophobic? Anything wrong in saying that foreigners won't care about our govt losing our nation's money more than singaporeans?

Frankly wat do foreigners have to do with this blame thing SINGAPOREAN like to blame. Next is bring in Foreigners to blame. What next race?

Anyway u didn't say foreigners don't care. U just assume anyone who don't agrees with ur narrow view as being foreigners. That's XENOPHOBIC.
    Last edited by minority; 23-02-14 at 22:59.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

You know the difference between protesting at hong lim n writing in forum? When I post in forum, many can enjoy reading my posts over a prolonged period of time. When I protest at hong lim, only people who go down to hong lim get to listen. Welcome to the Internet if you don't already know its usefulness.
    Why not u go tatto it on ur back . Everyone can read if off line an online.? And it will there forever too.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

If you travel to japan for a holiday and hear people talking about abe overspending their national budget on hosting a world conference, this piece of news going to spoil your holiday? Likewise, why would foreigners care about us overspending on yog?

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    Frankly wat do foreigners have to do with this blame thing SINGAPOREAN like to blame. Next is bring in Foreigners to blame. What next race?

Anyway u didn't say foreigners don't care. U just assume anyone who don't agrees with ur narrow view as being foreigners. That's XENOPHOBIC.

If you travel to japan for a holiday and hear people talking about abe overspending their national budget on hosting a world conference, this piece of news going to spoil your holiday? Likewise, why would foreigners care about us overspending on yog?
    sure.. but we are talking abt it here in singapore. So what do accusing people who don't agree with u as being foreigner help with ur justification ? U are missing it way of point.

So like u say. every olympics in the world is waste of $. So why are all the countries fighting to host it? u mean so many carrots?

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

If people are nonchalant to $200 million of singaporeans' money being blown away, they could well be foreigners, just as singaporeans are not bothered about internal politics of other countries that don't affect us.

Many countries are fighting to host the Olympics, not Youth Olympics, get that right. As mentioned, the youth Olympics isn't worth $300 million of our monies, high estimate was just $90 million. Nobody told sg to spend $300 million but our govt chose to, turning singapore into a giant carrothead

sure.. but we are talking abt it here in singapore. So what do accusing people who don't agree with u as being foreigner help with ur justification ? U are missing it way of point.

So like u say. every olympics in the world is waste of $. So why are all the countries fighting to host it? u mean so many carrots?

If people are nonchalant to $200 million of singaporeans' money being blown away, they could well be foreigners, just as singaporeans are not bothered about internal politics of other countries that don't affect us.
    Why can't Singaporeans be nonchalant about this?
    Why can't Singaporeans be not bothered about this?
    Why not?

From my understanding, only 12% of tax residents pay 80% of tax in YA 2012. Going by 80-20 rule, only 12 out of 100 folks would be concerned. Also, if the Budget 2014 is a guide, income tax is only 13.4% of the total income.

So, it is not surprising to me at all that 88% of the population is apathy of how much wastage there is, as long as the wastage is not charged to me... of course, this is just my opinion....

Sources:
    http://tinyurl.com/lluhatc
    http://tinyurl.com/k5x9cwu

If only 12% are paying 88% of taxes then who is to be blamed for majority of workers who can't meet the minimum taxable threshold? Depressed wages n refusal to have some form of wage protection for workers are issues you also need to consider. People can understand why majority of the people are not paying taxes not that they are nonchalant about it. There are broader issues to tackle when dealing with labour n wages that ultimately affects taxes govt collect. In any case other forms of taxes n revenue streams like gst, stamp duties from pty, erp etc are meant to make up for loss of taxes in other areas.

The $300 million down the drain for yog is a very different issue here. The decision to spend that money has totally nothing to do with the micro economic factors in the country. Even totally doing without yog does not disadvantage us in any way nor does it increase our global economic advantage in any way. For something that we can do without 100%, it pains me to see our nation's money being squandered in this manner. It is totally warped logic from some forumers who say that just because we can afford to lose that money, therefore it is alright for the minister involved to make that mistake and let him move on.

Quote Originally Posted by limfc View Post
    Why not?

From my understanding, only 12% of tax residents pay 80% of tax in YA 2012. Going by 80-20 rule, only 12 out of 100 folks would be concerned. Also, if the Budget 2014 is a guide, income tax is only 13.4% of the total income.

So, it is not surprising to me at all that 88% of the population is apathy of how much wastage there is, as long as the wastage is not charged to me... of course, this is just my opinion....

Sources:

If only 12% are paying 88% of taxes then who is to be blamed for majority of workers who can't meet the minimum taxable threshold? Depressed wages n refusal to have some form of wage protection for workers are issues you also need to consider. People can understand why majority of the people are not paying taxes not that they are nonchalant about it. There are broader issues to tackle when dealing with labour n wages that ultimately affects taxes govt collect. In any case other forms of taxes n revenue streams like gst, stamp duties from pty, erp etc are meant to make up for loss of taxes in other areas.

The $300 million down the drain for yog is a very different issue here. The decision to spend that money has totally nothing to do with the micro economic factors in the country. Even totally doing without yog does not disadvantage us in any way nor does it increase our global economic advantage in any way. For something that we can do without 100%, it pains me to see our nation's money being squandered in this manner. It is totally warped logic from some forumers who say that just because we can afford to lose that money, therefore it is alright for the minister involved to make that mistake and let him move on.

How broken can your weak argument be. because 12% paying 88% of tax means under paid? LOL!!!!

if 80% is paying 12% of tax see how many people will cry.

Serious Chea Mea! Complain for sake of complain!

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Many countries are fighting to host the Olympics, not Youth Olympics, get that right. As mentioned, the youth Olympics isn't worth $300 million of our monies, high estimate was just $90 million. Nobody told sg to spend $300 million but our govt chose to, turning singapore into a giant carrothead

I am Singaporean and I dont see wtf is the issue with 200M! for a Olympic event. Its Cheap!

U are a XENOPHOBIC!

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Obviously if you can't even meet the minimum threshold to pay income tax, you consider yourself well paid? Use your brains lah

How broken can your weak argument be. because 12% paying 88% of tax means under paid? LOL!!!!

if 80% is paying 12% of tax see how many people will cry.

Serious Chea Mea! Complain for sake of complain!

You still don't know the difference between the main Olympics and youth Olympics? You suggesting they are equal? If I am xenophobic then I think you must be a fake singaporean.

I am Singaporean and I dont see wtf is the issue with 200M! for a Olympic event. Its Cheap!

U are a XENOPHOBIC!

This is a very good question and I invite you to read the Wealth of Nations. With your objective views and perspective, you might find your current line of thinking a bit confusing, although you have listed some facts which are very true.

The confusing part is which facts are the causes and which facts are the effects? It can be quite confusing and takes a clear mind to think through...
    best to start with a big cup of kopi siew dai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wealth_of_Nations

My opinion is that this is a marketing event and whether the returns justify the investment, it is hard to quantify. Sometimes, no amount of money can generate the publicity one gets. Will the publicity brings in real economic gains? That would be quite tough to gauge. If for e.g. some rich man son came and brings along the daddy who then starts up a multi-million business hiring 200 Singaporeans, who support 200 families with good jobs and pro-create 400 babies. After that, the rich man brings along more of his like-minded friends and create more hundreds of babies, I think it would be a fantastic return on investment.

However, from the reports that I have read in the papers, it seems quite a few Singaporeans had an experience which is the "MasterCard" moment - priceless. Whether the moment is positive (boy chasing after the torch) or negative (was the "thank you" makan super lousy?), the experience would be remembered for a lifetime and it becomes part of Singapore history. The youth in 2010 can tell their grandkids in 2070, that well, "I was there".

So, what is my stand? Is YOG a good investment? Who cares?! I will be long gone by 2070!

However, from the reports that I have read in the papers, it seems quite a few Singaporeans had an experience which is the "MasterCard" moment - priceless. Whether the moment is positive (boy chasing after the torch) or negative (was the "thank you" makan super lousy?), the experience would be remembered for a lifetime and it becomes part of Singapore history. The youth in 2010 can tell their grandkids in 2070, that well, "I was there".

So, what is my stand? Is YOG a good investment? Who cares?! I will be long gone by 2070!
    I was there with my daughter in one event and I saw many supporters for the foreign contestants. At least we managed to attract them here and who knows maybe they will come again or invest here?

How can we calculate everything based on $ returned?

How many museums in London don't charge an entry fee?

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

It is folly assumption to think that wastage is not charge to you!
    What is GST for then?
    GST is to tax you and anybody as long you are breathing and alive, regardless of whether you are jobless, old, sicked, disabled, young will no earning ability etc! GST don't care how pitiful you are, just tax you as long as you are breathing and alive and need to eat and drink water!

Why not?

Sources:

You may wish to read the part in red. Market forces require govt intervention to reach some level of equilibrium. These so called stupid n ignorant people that adam smith chooses to label will remain as the impoverished if govt choose to have it that way. If you read the part on labour n wages, who then do you think creates the competition in the labour force for wages to be depressed?

Excerpt from wealth of the nation: ..."the understandings of the greater part of men are necessarily formed by their ordinary employments. The man whose whole life is spent in performing a few simple operations, of which the effects are perhaps always the same, or very nearly the same, has no occasion to exert his understanding or to exercise his invention in finding out expedients for removing difficulties which never occur. He naturally loses, therefore, the habit of such exertion, and generally becomes as stupid and ignorant as it is possible for a human creature to become. The torpor of his mind renders him not only incapable of relishing or bearing a part in any rational conversation, but of conceiving any generous, noble, or tender sentiment, and consequently of forming any just judgment concerning many even of the ordinary duties of private life... But in every improved and civilized society this is the state into which the laboring poor, that is, the great body of the people, must necessarily fall, unless government takes some pains to prevent it."

Your idea of spending $300 million on a major marketing campaign still doesn't justify the overspent portion of $200 million. The contention is not spending, but overspending by a huge amount. Constitutionally, the minister responsible for such major blunders should get sacked so why not? Shouldn't it be the case of the higher the pay, the greater the duty of care?

Enjoy reading about one of the most fundamental concepts of constitutional law still studied in the NUS law faculty today.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiv...responsibility

This is a very good question and I invite you to read the Wealth of Nations. With your objective views and perspective, you might find your current line of thinking a bit confusing, although you have listed some facts which are very true.

The confusing part is which facts are the causes and which facts are the effects? It can be quite confusing and takes a clear mind to think through...
    best to start with a big cup of kopi siew dai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wealth_of_Nations

My opinion is that this is a marketing event and whether the returns justify the investment, it is hard to quantify. Sometimes, no amount of money can generate the publicity one gets. Will the publicity brings in real economic gains? That would be quite tough to gauge. If for e.g. some rich man son came and brings along the daddy who then starts up a multi-million business hiring 200 Singaporeans, who support 200 families with good jobs and pro-create 400 babies. After that, the rich man brings along more of his like-minded friends and create more hundreds of babies, I think it would be a fantastic return on investment.

How naive can you be, so based on your logic all those host countries for youth Olympics will have foreign spectators going back to invest in those countries? If I go England n China to watch Olympics means I going to invest in England n China? You might as well say the whole world will invest in Africa since they watch world cup hosted by Africa. Look at greece that hosted Olympics before, is their economy doing well because of Olympics? Moreover these countries I mentioned were hosting the main Olympics, not some silly juvenile Olympics with kids competing.

I was there with my daughter in one event and I saw many supporters for the foreign contestants. At least we managed to attract them here and who knows maybe they will come again or invest here?
    Last edited by Patrickstar; 24-02-14 at 23:40.

How naive can you be, so based on your logic all those host countries for youth Olympics will have foreign spectators going back to invest in those countries? If I go England n China to watch Olympics means I going to invest in England n China? You might as well say the whole world will invest in Africa since they watch world cup hosted by Africa. Look at greece that hosted Olympics before, is their economy doing well because of Olympics? Moreover these countries I mentioned were hosting the main Olympics, not some silly juvenile Olympics with kids competing.
    Aiyo, you know what is marketing or not? If you see a beautiful picture of a country and you visit it because of that then that place has won your money cos once you are there you will spend some money there right?

I am sure you go on holidays. You have limited money and time, so how do you choose your holiday destination? I am sure you don't just go to a travel agency, point randomly on the map and say you want to go there right?

Talk about World Cup at South Africa, notice they show lots of places of interest of that place. If people flock there because of the pics then their marketing has succeeded.

Greece has a lot of problems that are well discussed so I won't discuss here. To just blame it on Olympics is not fair.

And don't belittle kids lah, they are the future champions. You think the current messi and Ronaldos just popped up from thin air?

I didn't know your idea of an ideal holiday destination is a country that has hosted the youth Olympics. If you ask 1000 people visiting the natas fair how many are visiting a country because it has hosted the youth Olympics, I think you will be disappointed. It is the same for Africa, majority of holiday goers in the years ahead don't go africa because of world cup but because of the rich natural landscape n wildlife. $300 million is money into the drain as simple as that. The cost far outweighs the benefit to our economy.

Aiyo, you know what is marketing or not? If you see a beautiful picture of a country and you visit it because of that then that place has won your money cos once you are there you will spend some money there right?

I am sure you go on holidays. You have limited money and time, so how do you choose your holiday destination? I am sure you don't just go to a travel agency, point randomly on the map and say you want to go there right?

Talk about World Cup at South Africa, notice they show lots of places of interest of that place. If people flock there because of the pics then their marketing has succeeded.

Greece has a lot of problems that are well discussed so I won't discuss here. To just blame it on Olympics is not fair.

And don't belittle kids lah, they are the future champions. You think the current messi and Ronaldos just popped up from thin air?

I didn't know your idea of an ideal holiday destination is a country that has hosted the youth Olympics. If you ask 1000 people visiting the natas fair how many are visiting a country because it has hosted the youth Olympics, I think you will be disappointed. It is the same for Africa, majority of holiday goers in the years ahead don't go africa because of world cup but because of the rich natural landscape n wildlife. $300 million is money into the drain as simple as that. The cost far outweighs the benefit to our economy.
    I realize that you like to twist words and also select a part of the phrase and exaggerate it out of proportion.

Since when did I say an ideal holiday destination is a country that has hosted the youth Olympics?

And talking about South Africa and World Cup, did you watch the game on TV? Did you notice the adverts during the transmission? Other than seeing some places that attracts you, you may also develop an idea about the place, that it has rich natural landscape and wildlife. But if you ask me how many people will actually go to South Africa because of the adverts they see on TV, I don't know. Their tourist board people may do the estimates. But that is what marketing is about.

You still don't know the difference between the main Olympics and youth Olympics? You suggesting they are equal? If I am xenophobic then I think you must be a fake singaporean.

U are a true blue xenophobic. Wat a loser

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    It is folly assumption to think that wastage is not charge to you!
    What is GST for then?
    GST is to tax you and anybody as long you are breathing and alive, regardless of whether you are jobless, old, sicked, disabled, young will no earning ability etc! GST don't care how pitiful you are, just tax you as long as you are breathing and alive and need to eat and drink water!
    Here come another xenophobic who expect everying to be free.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Default S$1.5b to provide community-based sports facilities

By Patwant Singh
    POSTED: 11 Mar 2014 23:15

The government is committing S$1.5 billion to provide community-based facilities under the Sports Facilities Master Plan, announced Acting Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Lawrence Wong in Parliament on Tuesday.

SINGAPORE: The government is committing S$1.5 billion to provide community-based facilities under the Sports Facilities Master Plan.

Acting Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Lawrence Wong said in Parliament on Tuesday that the first phase will include a mix of new facilities as well as rejuvenating existing ones.

The latest figure is on top of the S$1.2 billion for operational costs over five years, announced last year.

Some of the projects include the Punggol Regional Sports Centre, which will be integrated with Punggol's waterways and co-located with the SAFRA clubhouse.

The existing Ang Mo Kio Swimming Complex will be redeveloped into the Ang Mo Kio Wet Play Field.

Another project, the Town Sports and Recreation Centre in Sembawang, will be part of a one-stop community hub.

Jurong Spring and Boon Lay will be part of the pilot Sports-in-Precinct programme, featuring sheltered playing areas, multi-use courts and new materials.

"These are just examples and we will work out the plans for the other towns. We will not stop at Phase One… (and will include) Yishun, which Dr Lee (Bee Wah) had asked for," said Mr Wong.

A new national movement for sports, called ActiveSG, will also be launched.

This is part of continuing efforts to beef up sports programming in the community and promote Singaporeans' interest in sports.

Mr Wong said: "We will work with NSAs (National Sports Associations), corporate groups and other partners to create these sporting programmes together.

"I believe ActiveSG will strengthen ties within and between communities. It will gather neighbours, loved ones or perhaps even rivals to train and compete in a variety of sports."

- CNA/ec

http://transport.asiaone.com/news/ge...es-749-million

LTA buys 91 trains for Thomson, Eastern Region lines for $749 million

Default The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has awarded four civil contracts, T218, T220, T222

LTA awards four Thomson Line contracts worth $1.13 billion

SINGAPORE - The 30km, 22-station Thomson Line will be completed in three stages from 2019 to 2021 and run from Woodlands to Gardens by the Bay.

Get the full story from The Straits Times.

Here is the statement released today by the Land Transport Authority:

LTA Awards Four Contracts for Thomson Line's Orchard Boulevard, Great World, Outram Park and Shenton Way Stations

Construction works for these four stations to commence second quarter of 2014 and scheduled to complete by 2021.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has awarded four civil contracts, T218, T220, T222 and T225 with a total value of around $1.13 billion.

Scope of Contracts

The construction of Orchard Boulevard station (T218) has been awarded to KTC Civil Engineering & Construction Pte Ltd at a contract sum of approximately $143 million. KTC Civil Engineering & Construction Pte Ltd is a construction company established in Singapore since 1988. KTC Civil Engineering & Construction Pte Ltd has undertaken numerous civil engineering projects such as transit projects, road works projects, bus depot, expressways and earthwork projects in Singapore. KTC Civil Engineering & Construction Pte Ltd is currently involved in the construction of Downtown Line 3's Tampines Station.

Contract T220 for the construction of Great World station and its associated tunnels has been awarded to Tiong Seng Contractor (Pte) Ltd - Dongah Geological Engineering Co., Ltd (Singapore Branch) Joint Venture for a contract sum of approximately $316 million. Tiong Seng Contractor (Pte) Ltd is one of the leading building construction and civil engineering contractors in Singapore established since 1964. Tiong Seng Contractor (Pte) Ltd has undertaken numerous civil engineering projects such as Jurong Pier Flyover and Kim Chuan Link Sewer.

Tiong Seng Contractor (Pte) Ltd is currently involved in the construction of Downtown Line 2's Hillview and Cashew Stations. Their joint venture partner, Dongah Geological Engineering Co., Ltd (Singapore Branch) is a Korean construction company set up in 1971. They have been involved in several LTA projects such as the Marina Coastal Expressway and Downtown Line as specialist contractors.

The construction of Outram Park station (T222) and its associated tunnels has been awarded to Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd at a contract sum of approximately $301 million. Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd (Daelim) is a Korean company established in 1939. As one of the top construction and engineering companies in Korea, Daelim has undertaken numerous subways and high speed railway projects in Korea, e.g. Daegu Metropolitan Railway, Seoul Subway and Honam High-Speed Railway. Daelim was also part of the joint venture involved in the design and construction of Marina Coastal Expressway.

Outram Park station will be an interchange station connecting the Thomson Line with the East-West and North East Lines, allowing commuters to enjoy connectivity between the northern, central, eastern and western parts of Singapore.

The construction of Shenton Way station (T225) and its associated tunnels has been awarded to Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Co., Ltd at a contract sum of approximately S$368 million. Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Co., Ltd is a China company with extensive experience in transit projects in Singapore. They are currently involved in a number of LTA's projects including the design and construction of Newton station and associated tunnels for Downtown Line 2, the construction of tunnels between Tampines East station and Upper Changi station for Downtown Line 3 and the construction of Gul Circle station and viaducts for Tuas West Extension.

About Thomson Line

The 30-km long Thomson Line will enhance rail connectivity in the north-south corridors to the Central Business District (CBD) and developments in the Marina Bay area.

Fully underground, Thomson Line comprises 22 stations, including six interchange stations: Woodlands, Caldecott, Stevens, Orchard, Outram Park and Marina Bay. These interchange stations will link to the North-South-East-West Line (NSEWL), Downtown Line (DTL), North-East Line (NEL) and Circle Line (CCL), providing greater accessibility and significantly improve travel time for commuters.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-...124028262.html

Singapore said Wednesday it would defer about Sg$2 billion ($1.6 billion) worth of government infrastructure projects to slow the intake of migrant labourers amid public concern over immigration in the city-state.
    Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong told parliament the move was part of measures to limit the inflow of foreign workers to "a level which is sustainable and which we can physically accommodate in Singapore in the long term".
    Lee said the government would continue "full steam ahead" with building more public housing and improving transport infrastructure, but would hold off on less critical projects for one or two years.
    The long-ruling People's Action Party has tightened migrant inflows since suffering its worst showing in a 2011 general election, in which the large foreigner presence was a big issue.
    "The private sector, they make their decisions," Lee said.
    But "the government, we are a significant part of the construction business, and we ask ourselves which government projects need to be built (and) which projects can be deferred," he said.
    "We can spread out the demand for construction workers, and then you will be able to manage the total number of construction workers in Singapore."
    Lee said among the projects to be deferred are an extension of the Gardens by the Bay botanical complex and a new science centre.
    The deferred projects would reduce the number of foreign workers needed by about 20,000 to 30,000, he said.
    Lee said the government would also monitor the inflow of foreign professional workers to ensure that Singaporeans get a fair chance at jobs in some fields.
    Singapore's low birth rate prompted the government to grant an average of 18,500 new citizenships every year between 2008 to 2012 -- helping the population surge by 30 percent since 2004 to 5.4 million last year.
    Out of a foreign population of 1.55 million, about 700,000 are mainly Asian work-permit holders employed in construction, marine industries and other sectors shunned by Singaporeans. Some 200,000 others work as domestic helpers.
    Singaporeans have accused foreigners of competing with them for jobs, housing, schools, medical care and space on public transport.
    Some have also complained that the rapid influx in previous years is eroding national identity.

A joint venture between Woh Hup and Obayashi Singapore has been appointed main construction contractor for the upcoming retail and leisure attraction, as well as for the expansion of Terminal 1.

SINGAPORE: Changi Airport Group (CAG) announced on Tuesday (Oct 28) that a S$1.57 billion contract has been awarded to a joint venture formed between Woh Hup (Private) Limited and Obayashi Singapore Private Limited for the construction of Project Jewel and expansion works at Terminal 1 (T1).

The construction joint venture will be working with the Jewel Changi Airport Trustee (JCAT) and CAG on proposed construction work, including the redevelopment of the 3.5 hectare open-air carpark site fronting T1, CAG said in a media release.

Project Jewel, a mixed-used development, will feature a dome-shaped facade made of glass and steel. The 1.4 million square feet complex will also have a 40-metre waterfall and a large-scale indoor garden, in addition to leisure attractions, retail stores, and hotel facilities. New pedestrian bridges linking Project Jewel to Terminals 2 and 3 will be built as well.

T1 will be expanded to include a larger Arrival Hall and more spacious baggage claim areas following the redevelopment of the open-air car park. A five-storey basement car park and additional taxi bays will also be developed, while the terminal's Departure drop-off bay and Arrival pick-up point for private cars will be expanded to cope with increasing passenger traffic.

Construction work is expected to begin by the end of this year, with Project Jewel and the majority of T1 expansion works targeted to be completed by the end of 2018.

- CNA/dl

Singapore Billon Dollar project look peanut compare to this.