Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Singapore Billion dollar project.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Wow! Looks like the timing of the property price crash is nearer than I realized!

Even if my clock has no hand, property cycle of boom and crash will always follow, just like the earth revolve around the sun....

And if you would like to dream that your property price keep booming and never crash (this is like telling us that the time has come that the earth WILL NOT revolve around the sun), we would all be DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, it's so near that it's already over.

The new cycle has begun. We are popping champagne very soon!
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Buy now and see its price crash in 2020 or after???
    Anyone who knows when is the crash wouldn't be in this forum.

Hard to predict, but investor tend to explore many asset classes globally and buy those undervalued with higher potential gain.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Even an idiot will know that the property price CRASH will come, it is a matter of WHEN?!

And we can make educated guess that since price property price crashing in 2008 and bottoming out in 2009, the next property price crash should be around 2019 onwards (about at least 10 years cycle). May be sometimes they will drag out longer, but it will cannot defy gravity and drag forever..........

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Anyone who knows when is the crash wouldn't be in this forum.

Even an idiot will know that the property price CRASH will come, it is a matter of WHEN?!

And we can make educated guess that since price property price crashing in 2008 and bottoming out in 2009, the next property price crash should be around 2019 onwards (about at least 10 years cycle). May be sometimes they will drag out longer, but it will cannot defy gravity and drag forever..........
    2019...... 2 more good years

Yes, or may be 3 more good years?
    Good enough for people to buy at SUPER PEAK PRICE now, then get STUCK holding the baby with no tenant and NO RENTAL INCOME for next 5 years (or more)?

Quote Originally Posted by indomie View Post
    2019...... 2 more good years

Inflation is going to be very fierce going forward. If you are not covered sufficiently, you will be terribly short. Good luck TB and farewell. Hope you had hung on to your CCR FH!

Good enough for people to buy at SUPER PEAK PRICE now, then get STUCK holding the baby with no tenant and NO RENTAL INCOME for next 5 years (or more)?

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

No tenant and no rental income at all?....calm down cowboy. It's Singapore we are talking about here, not Timbuktu.

Indeed! In Singapore!
    In 1998 Asia Financial crisis, in HillView RCR $1500 pm for a 3BR condo also no tenant (not to mention OCR)!
    Are you still a young boy/girl at that time that you don't even know???

No tenant and no rental income at all?....calm down cowboy. It's Singapore we are talking about here, not Timbuktu.

Precisely right! That time I could still find $2 chicken rice everywhere plus teh for 70c. Or 60c?

Hillview is OCR right?

Indeed! In Singapore!
    In 1998 Asia Financial crisis, in HillView RCR $1500 pm for a 3BR condo also no tenant (not to mention OCR)!

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Indeed! In Singapore!
    I only know 2001, my 5 room HDB rent out for $1200 pm and now rent out for $2800 pm

HillView is RCR lah!
    So you can imagine, many more OCR private condos also had no tenant!
    That is why so many got forced sold and property price CRASH big time in 1998!
    Not only that, the price never really recover until 2006, 8 LONG YEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Precisely right! That time I could still find $2 chicken rice everywhere plus teh for 70c. Or 60c?

Hillview is OCR right?

Sorry to disappoint you. I am also quite disappointed that an old bird like you makes such a rookie mistake - really a broken clock with no hands...

Hillview is most definitely OCR.

https://www.mingproperty.sg/region-map-singapore/

https://spring.ura.gov.sg/lad/ore/login/map_ccr.pdf

Are you sure you even have a CCR FH property???

HillView is RCR lah!
    So you can imagine, many more OCR private condos also had no tenant!
    That is why so many got forced sold and property price CRASH big time in 1998!
    Not only that, the price never really recover until 2006, 8 LONG YEARS!
    Attached Images Attached Images

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

I am referring to District 21 Upper Bukit Timah RCR. May be this is not Hillview, but anyway Hillview is just 1 bus-stop away.
    Then, in this case I am referring to District 21 RCR, since have not tenant,
    ha ha ha! OCR will be worst!

As you know, I never really bother checking about OCR, so thanks for pointing out my mistake about Hillview being OCR and not RCR...........
    Lesson learnt! Avoid RCR also, just like OCR because they are just too close to be comfortable!

Sorry to disappoint you. I am also quite disappointed that an old bird like you makes such a rookie mistake - really a broken clock with no hands...

Hillview is most definitely OCR.

https://www.mingproperty.sg/region-map-singapore/

https://spring.ura.gov.sg/lad/ore/login/map_ccr.pdf

Are you sure you even have a CCR FH property???

Indeed! In Singapore!
    Many people are holding on to an idea that property price will collapse and they will buy at the cheap. Its a really tough position to hold on to. Contrary to popular believe its better to buy property while your wealth is low. The reason being u can leverage. When your assets are plentiful u can cash out and enjoy interest from bank deposit.

That's why I say your clock has no hands. Clock hands do not twist as much. Hillview means Hillview, 1 bus stop or 2 bus stops means not Hillview.

From 2012 crash until 2020 crash, how long further can you twist?

I am referring to District 21 Upper Bukit Timah RCR. May be this is not Hillview, but anyway Hillview is just 1 bus-stop away.

As you know, I never really bother checking about OCR, so thanks for pointing out my mistake about Hillview being OCR and not RCR...........
    Lesson learnt! Avoid RCR also, just like OCR because they are just too close to be comfortable!

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Some folks don't understand how good a deal we have. What if we can buy 1 million dollar worth of shares and we pay by 30 years loan? The price of shares will explode through the roof.

This deal will not last forever. If I can still borrow, I want to borrow.

Sorry to pour some cold water even though I am a firm believer of long term, moderated growth in prices.

We are already allowed to leverage this million and prices have already exploded from a long time ago, resulting in the CMs that limit the leveraging.

What you are saying is that if leveraging loosening occurs, prices will shoot through the roof again. No doubt it will, but the people it benefits is a small group.

I think the strategy is to slowly unwind, ever so slowly, first exempt TDSR from refinancing considerations, then relax SSD and allow mortgage equity, then increase financing for first property (85%), then increase financing to second or third property (to 60 or 70%) as long as meet TDSR.

Other measures should still stay...

Some folks don't understand how good a deal we have. What if we can buy 1 million dollar worth of shares and we pay by 30 years loan? The price of shares will explode through the roof.

This deal will not last forever. If I can still borrow, I want to borrow.
    Last edited by Kelonguni; 05-04-17 at 13:19.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Wah, you and think alike...

I have strong feel 2018 is the year.

See the number of long weekend historically:
    2014 - 8
    2015 - 10
    2016 - 6
    2017 - 7
    2018 - only 4 !!!!

Only know Southbank in RCR, but don't know how low can it crash.

Bought SGD 535,000 for 2 Bedroom 958sqft in Jun 2006.

Only know Southbank in RCR, but don't know how low can it crash.

Bought SGD 535,000 for 2 Bedroom 958sqft in Jun 2006.
    You sell me for 500K, immediately crash.

Just kidding.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

You sell me for 500K, immediately crash.

Just kidding.
    I think 1.2 already can consider CRASH.

I think 1.2 already can consider CRASH.
    But I don't have 1.2 for you to crash.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Seletar Aerospace Park, The park will be developed at a cost of more than S$60 million

Dine in conserved colonial bungalows at Seletar Aerospace Park.

http://mothership.sg/2017/02/5-fb-es...a-me-hipsters/

How to get there:
    1. From Punggol MRT, make your way to the bus stop at Punggol Temporary Interchange, Punggol Place.
    2. Board bus 117 and alight at Seletar Aerospace Drive, just right before The Oval.
    Walk to 2 Park Lane.

OR take bus 103 and alight at the same stop.

Default The current five-year 2016 to 2020 budget will cost $19 billion.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ime=1492344192

Time to consider how best to partner top global universities to benefit Republic's capabilities

When Singapore and the renowned American university Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) launched a partnership in 2008, it promised much to raise the quality of scientific research here that would lead to new business opportunities.

The Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (Smart) was trumpeted as MIT's first research centre outside the United States, which would enable its scientists to work with their Singapore counterparts in areas such as biomedical science, water and the environment.

According to a statement then, it would "identify and nurture innovative ideas from emerging technologies and accelerate their migration to practical commercial applications that, in many cases, will occur through the creation of business enterprises with funding from external investors".

The Straits Times report earlier this month that all five Smart research programmes will stop when their funding from the National Research Foundation (NRF) runs out seemed like an untimely end to those early ambitions.

According to the report, NRF's funding is for a limited five-year period, renewable to a maximum of 10 years.

The closure involves 200 researchers from MIT and Singapore, with some affected by the end of the year and others up to 2021.

End of story?

Students at NUS' University Town. Singapore's universities are now attractive partners for many of the top global varsities, but they are also tasked with educating the bulk of Singapore's tertiary students.

For these researchers, it would seem so. But what does Smart's end say about the larger story of Singapore's multibillion-dollar research and development efforts? Was it an expensive collaboration with an overseas partner coming to a premature end? Or was it a milestone achieved in Singapore's search for success in developing its research capabilities?

You cannot tell because there has not been much said by the people involved, beyond the official comment about the limited nature of NRF's funding.

I hope, though, that it would not be the last word on it and there will be more information and discussion, because the issue is an important one involving how best to develop Singapore's research and development capabilities.

Singapore universities have to find the right balance between education and research, because a top-class research university is not necessarily one that delivers the best undergraduate education.

Is the approach of partnering the top universities in the world the best way? And, when such partnerships are started, how best to do it so that Singapore benefits in the widest possible way?

In fact, there is a more basic question: What exactly does Singapore hope to achieve from these collaborations? Is it to jointly develop R&D, which will lead to commercially successful products and businesses, or is the more important objective an educational one, to develop our own local talent from working with the world's best?

More critically, what lessons has Smart's experience taught Singapore about how best to do this?

Answering this question is important because there are many other ongoing collaborations with foreign universities, and there will likely be more in the future.

Some of these include the Duke-NUS Medical School, the Yale-NUS liberal arts college and the NTU-Imperial College medical school.

They are expensive enterprises, as is the entire national R&D effort.

The current five-year 2016 to 2020 budget will cost $19 billion.

It has not been disclosed exactly how much was spent on Smart over those 10 years, but it could not have been small beer. As with many of these arrangements, Singapore foots the bulk, if not all, of the bill.

Here is one indication of how costly these things are: The Smart team was the first and largest tenant of an impressive research building in the National University of Singapore (NUS) called Create, which cost $600 million to build and equip.

But money is not the only issue.

Working with foreign institutions is not a simple matter of just transplanting foreign scientists and their equipment here.

Universities such as MIT have their own unique culture, tradition and objectives, which may or may not be aligned with Singapore's.

Making sure Singapore's own interests are protected requires strong leadership at the research centres with clear aims, supported by a local team that knows how to achieve them while maximising benefits for the country.

It is not an easy task dealing with scientists who have their own strong views about their work and come from a different culture.

The second issue concerns the number of people who benefit from these arrangements.

High-end R&D involves a select group of scientists and students.

One of the aims of Smart was to mentor postdoctoral and graduate students, to enable local researchers to work with some of the best from MIT.

This is a worthwhile educational objective and I hope more will be said about how well it was achieved.

For example, how many local scientists and students benefited from the transfer of knowledge and expertise?

In high-end research, the numbers are probably small.

Another question: Of the MIT researchers who worked here, how many stayed on to further their work or, better still, launched start-ups and ran them?

How many local companies and small and medium-sized enterprises benefited from or were involved in the research work?

Can more be done to ensure Singapore's wider economy and society benefit from these activities?

To be fair, Singapore's national R&D effort is increasingly focused on research with commercial potential and there is keen competition among the universities and research centres for a share of the funds.

One of Smart's successes, for example, is a water technology company, Visenti, which has since been acquired by a global leader in the field, Xylem.

Overall, though, R&D results are often unpredictable and always something of a gamble.

But there is an educational objective as well, which is harder to measure.

Singapore universities are now attractive partners for many of the top global institutions, including Duke, Yale and Imperial College.

NUS and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) have achieved remarkable international recognition, ranking among the top in the world.

A large part of these ranking exercises measures the university's achievement in research, the number of published papers and the quality of faculty.

But both NUS and NTU are also national universities tasked with educating the bulk of Singapore's tertiary students, who want an enriching educational experience in their three to four years there.

Singapore universities have to find the right balance between education and research, because a top-class research university is not necessarily one that delivers the best undergraduate education.

There is one other story worth telling that does not involve a glamorous foreign Ivy League university.

You might not have heard of James Cook University or, if you have, do not think very much of it.

It is an Australian university in Queensland, which has a campus here in Sims Drive.

Starting with 50 students in 2003, it now has 3,500, with 54 degree courses from business to psychology.

Last year, it received the EduTrust Star, the highest quality mark awarded to private educational institutions here, and plans to raise its student population to 5,000.

The campus is wholly owned by the university, with not a single dollar of support from the Government.

But ask the thousands of Singaporean students who have studied there who might not have been able to get a university education otherwise (because they could not qualify for NUS or NTU) and it is a no-brainer which educational model gets their vote.

Their no-frills option will not make waves in the research world. But their education is just as important for Singapore's future.

•The writer is also a senior fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University

The problems with all these kind "big figures $Billions" are kind of misleading..........

Research is about people, brain power, research efforts by the researchers.............

However, in Singapore, while $BILLIONS have been touted to be allocated, it seems that not so much of these money really get paid out for research work (i.e. e.g. say they allocate $10 Billions a year to research but yet they really only grant like $1B only)....

Also, much of these $Billions end up being spent on hardware like 5-STAR offices, rentals (e.g. paying rentals for Fusionopolis which is NOT CHEAP!), equipment, etc, while setting much less aside for the salaries and compensation for the manpower (i.e. the researchers, excluding the few head honchos who are very very much well paid, typical of Gov Boards where Super Scale Civil Servants and scholars are paid >$1M by age 40 while a similar 1st class degree holder non scholar will only be earning <$100k p.a. at age 40).............

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ime=1492344192

Time to consider how best to partner top global universities to benefit Republic's capabilities

When Singapore and the renowned American university Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) launched a partnership in 2008, it promised much to raise the quality of scientific research here that would lead to new business opportunities.

The Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (Smart) was trumpeted as MIT's first research centre outside the United States, which would enable its scientists to work with their Singapore counterparts in areas such as biomedical science, water and the environment.

According to a statement then, it would "identify and nurture innovative ideas from emerging technologies and accelerate their migration to practical commercial applications that, in many cases, will occur through the creation of business enterprises with funding from external investors".

The Straits Times report earlier this month that all five Smart research programmes will stop when their funding from the National Research Foundation (NRF) runs out seemed like an untimely end to those early ambitions.

According to the report, NRF's funding is for a limited five-year period, renewable to a maximum of 10 years.

The closure involves 200 researchers from MIT and Singapore, with some affected by the end of the year and others up to 2021.

End of story?

Students at NUS' University Town. Singapore's universities are now attractive partners for many of the top global varsities, but they are also tasked with educating the bulk of Singapore's tertiary students.

For these researchers, it would seem so. But what does Smart's end say about the larger story of Singapore's multibillion-dollar research and development efforts? Was it an expensive collaboration with an overseas partner coming to a premature end? Or was it a milestone achieved in Singapore's search for success in developing its research capabilities?

You cannot tell because there has not been much said by the people involved, beyond the official comment about the limited nature of NRF's funding.

I hope, though, that it would not be the last word on it and there will be more information and discussion, because the issue is an important one involving how best to develop Singapore's research and development capabilities.

Is the approach of partnering the top universities in the world the best way? And, when such partnerships are started, how best to do it so that Singapore benefits in the widest possible way?

In fact, there is a more basic question: What exactly does Singapore hope to achieve from these collaborations? Is it to jointly develop R&D, which will lead to commercially successful products and businesses, or is the more important objective an educational one, to develop our own local talent from working with the world's best?

More critically, what lessons has Smart's experience taught Singapore about how best to do this?

Answering this question is important because there are many other ongoing collaborations with foreign universities, and there will likely be more in the future.

Some of these include the Duke-NUS Medical School, the Yale-NUS liberal arts college and the NTU-Imperial College medical school.

They are expensive enterprises, as is the entire national R&D effort.

The current five-year 2016 to 2020 budget will cost $19 billion.

It has not been disclosed exactly how much was spent on Smart over those 10 years, but it could not have been small beer. As with many of these arrangements, Singapore foots the bulk, if not all, of the bill.

Here is one indication of how costly these things are: The Smart team was the first and largest tenant of an impressive research building in the National University of Singapore (NUS) called Create, which cost $600 million to build and equip.

But money is not the only issue.

Working with foreign institutions is not a simple matter of just transplanting foreign scientists and their equipment here.

Universities such as MIT have their own unique culture, tradition and objectives, which may or may not be aligned with Singapore's.

Making sure Singapore's own interests are protected requires strong leadership at the research centres with clear aims, supported by a local team that knows how to achieve them while maximising benefits for the country.

It is not an easy task dealing with scientists who have their own strong views about their work and come from a different culture.

The second issue concerns the number of people who benefit from these arrangements.

High-end R&D involves a select group of scientists and students.

One of the aims of Smart was to mentor postdoctoral and graduate students, to enable local researchers to work with some of the best from MIT.

This is a worthwhile educational objective and I hope more will be said about how well it was achieved.

For example, how many local scientists and students benefited from the transfer of knowledge and expertise?

In high-end research, the numbers are probably small.

Another question: Of the MIT researchers who worked here, how many stayed on to further their work or, better still, launched start-ups and ran them?

How many local companies and small and medium-sized enterprises benefited from or were involved in the research work?

Can more be done to ensure Singapore's wider economy and society benefit from these activities?

To be fair, Singapore's national R&D effort is increasingly focused on research with commercial potential and there is keen competition among the universities and research centres for a share of the funds.

One of Smart's successes, for example, is a water technology company, Visenti, which has since been acquired by a global leader in the field, Xylem.

Overall, though, R&D results are often unpredictable and always something of a gamble.

But there is an educational objective as well, which is harder to measure.

Singapore universities are now attractive partners for many of the top global institutions, including Duke, Yale and Imperial College.

NUS and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) have achieved remarkable international recognition, ranking among the top in the world.

A large part of these ranking exercises measures the university's achievement in research, the number of published papers and the quality of faculty.

But both NUS and NTU are also national universities tasked with educating the bulk of Singapore's tertiary students, who want an enriching educational experience in their three to four years there.

There is one other story worth telling that does not involve a glamorous foreign Ivy League university.

You might not have heard of James Cook University or, if you have, do not think very much of it.

It is an Australian university in Queensland, which has a campus here in Sims Drive.

Starting with 50 students in 2003, it now has 3,500, with 54 degree courses from business to psychology.

Last year, it received the EduTrust Star, the highest quality mark awarded to private educational institutions here, and plans to raise its student population to 5,000.

The campus is wholly owned by the university, with not a single dollar of support from the Government.

But ask the thousands of Singaporean students who have studied there who might not have been able to get a university education otherwise (because they could not qualify for NUS or NTU) and it is a no-brainer which educational model gets their vote.

Their no-frills option will not make waves in the research world. But their education is just as important for Singapore's future.

•The writer is also a senior fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University
    Last edited by teddybear; 16-04-17 at 23:59.

The problems with all these kind "big figures $Billions" are kind of misleading..........

Research is about people, brain power, research efforts by the researchers.............

However, in Singapore, while $BILLIONS have been touted to be allocated, it seems that not so much of these money really get paid out for research work (i.e. e.g. say they allocate $10 Billions a year to research but yet they really only grant like $1B only)....

Also, much of these $Billions end up being spent on hardware like 5-STAR offices, rentals (e.g. paying rentals for Fusionopolis which is NOT CHEAP!), equipment, etc, while setting much less aside for the salaries and compensation for the manpower (i.e. the researchers, excluding the few head honchos who are very very much well paid, typical of Gov Boards where Super Scale Civil Servants and scholars are paid >$1M by age 40 while a similar 1st class degree holder non scholar will only be earning <$100k p.a. at age 40).............
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-22636553

When you invest Billon, Billionaire will be attracted.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/busines...coon-taizo-son

Default How Singapore Is Creating More Land for Itself

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/m...self.html?_r=0

Much of Singapore lies less than 50 feet above sea level. A third of the island sits around 16 feet above the water — low enough to give planners the jitters. Coastal roads are being raised; a new airport terminal is being built 18 feet above sea level. All the while, the island receives more and more rain each year. “If global temperatures continue to rise,” a government official said last year, “many parts of Singapore could eventually be submerged.”

Last edited by Arcachon; 22-04-17 at 00:38.