Thread: strata area vs built in area

Default strata area vs built in area

Hi, any advice what's the difference? this is especially for cluster housing which I'm quite confused between strata area and built-in, the difference can be quite great. and then when it compare to landed terrace, the landed terrace will use the land size to calculate psf. in other word, it is kind of hard to compare apple to apple for cluster housing and landed terrace.

for eg, 4003sqft/Strata -- 2432sqft built-in (this is for cluster housing)

Cluster usually quote built-in size only just like condos. The psf is based on built-in. You do not directly own the land which your house is sitting on => strata title.

When you want to sell the land say in 20 years, it will be en-bloc sale just like condo. It is useful for you to know the entire land area of the cluster so you know roughly how much of the land you get a share of. For instance, 20,000 sq ft land divided by 20 cluster houses => 1000 sqft land per house provided all hses are of equal share value / size.

Landed, you are paying for both the land and the built-in. Although ura caveat only shows the land psf, it is misleading if you dunno how to interpret it. To etimate the price of a landed house, first, you need to see how much old houses are selling for their land in the area. Eg. $1000 psf. Then you add the construction cost of the house (eg, $300psf on the built-in size) to the land price if the house is new or relatively new.

So for this instance, a new semi-d say 3000 sqft land with built-in size of 4000 sqft would cost $1000 land psf x 3000 sqft land + $300 built-in psf x 4000 sqft built-in => $4.2M. This is the price if you rebuild yourself. If it comes from a developer who bought the land at this price, they most like add another $500K to sell at $4.7M.

If you are buying a 10 yr old house, then you would use a lower built-in psf to calculate due to depreciation while the land psf remains the same.

well said...exactly what i was gonna say
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Cluster usually quote built-in size only just like condos. The psf is based on built-in. You do not directly own the land which your house is sitting on => strata title.

When you want to sell the land say in 20 years, it will be en-bloc sale just like condo. It is useful for you to know the entire land area of the cluster so you know roughly how much of the land you get a share of. For instance, 20,000 sq ft land divided by 20 cluster houses => 1000 sqft land per house provided all hses are of equal share value / size.

Landed, you are paying for both the land and the built-in. Although ura caveat only shows the land psf, it is misleading if you dunno how to interpret it. To etimate the price of a landed house, first, you need to see how much old houses are selling for their land in the area. Eg. $1000 psf. Then you add the construction cost of the house (eg, $300psf on the built-in size) to the land price if the house is new or relatively new.

So for this instance, a new semi-d say 3000 sqft land with built-in size of 4000 sqft would cost $1000 land psf x 3000 sqft land + $300 built-in psf x 4000 sqft built-in => $4.2M. This is the price if you rebuild yourself. If it comes from a developer who bought the land at this price, they most like add another $500K to sell at $4.7M.

If you are buying a 10 yr old house, then you would use a lower built-in psf to calculate due to depreciation while the land psf remains the same.

Hi Blue,
    what does te built-in for landed consist of this sense? car porch, open terrace, balconies? are they also included?

thanks, very informative...but if i buy and i compare a cluster & terrace, how do i compare? assume both are new and no additional cost in reno, take the unit alone without considering the mainteneance cost, etc etc...
    do i compare on the built in size alone in that case?

Quote Originally Posted by lajia
    thanks, very informative...but if i buy and i compare a cluster & terrace, how do i compare? assume both are new and no additional cost in reno, take the unit alone without considering the mainteneance cost, etc etc...
    do i compare on the built in size alone in that case?
    For me, give me the terrace anytime even if the built-up of the strata is larger.

Why? because the land including carpark and garden is YOURS and YOURS alone. You'll have true flexibility in determining your living space. You can do whatever you want to the facade and even build a pool if you want (subject to building approvals of coz) PLUS you don't have to pay maintenance fees for the facilities like the strata.

Yes, the strata/cluster house has certain benefits like facilities (clubhouse or pool) but to me, nothing beats owning the land you live in. Strata houses also tend to be packed really close to one another so you will have to contend with privacy.

If you really hanker for facilities and want to enjoy a garden, then might as well settle for a ground floor unit in a condo with PES(private enclosed space). It'll probably be cheaper and the feeling would be about the same plus you don't have to worry about a leaking roof.

Quote Originally Posted by stl67
    Hi Blue,
    what does te built-in for landed consist of this sense? car porch, open terrace, balconies? are they also included?
    Built-in refers to GFA which are all the covered areas.

Built-up includes exposed areas such as the car porch, open terraces and etc.

Some agents quote built-up as built-in, so u hv to be careful.

In any case, whatever the built-in or built-up, it is not stated in your land title. Only the land size.

U can estimate the built-in based on floor plan or use a measuring tape and DIY. Or you can engage a quantity surveyor to do it professionally. I don't think you have to be bothered too much about the exact built-in cos most impt is the feel when you are in the house, whether you feel spacious or cramped. Some pple appreciate more open terraces while others prefer more covered areas.

For strata, only the built-in size is stated in the title. For most cluster I have seen, since they build the carpark lots in the basement, the land size that your house effectively sits on is smaller, usually not more than 700 sqft. But since all the clusters share the common facilities, the total land area of the entire development is divided across the number of units for a rough gauge of your share of the land size.

Practically speaking, the land size of a cluster hse is usually smaller than a terrace unless the developer is generous. It makes more commercial sense for a developer to build and sell clusters since common facilities have less construction cost than a row of inter-terraces.

Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    For me, give me the terrace anytime even if the built-up of the strata is larger.

Why? because the land including carpark and garden is YOURS and YOURS alone. You'll have true flexibility in determining your living space. You can do whatever you want to the facade and even build a pool if you want (subject to building approvals of coz) PLUS you don't have to pay maintenance fees for the facilities like the strata.

Yes, the strata/cluster house has certain benefits like facilities (clubhouse or pool) but to me, nothing beats owning the land you live in. Strata houses also tend to be packed really close to one another so you will have to contend with privacy.

If you really hanker for facilities and want to enjoy a garden, then might as well settle for a ground floor unit in a condo with PES(private enclosed space). It'll probably be cheaper and the feeling would be about the same plus you don't have to worry about a leaking roof.
    My opinion is quite opp from yours. I don't really need the flex to do anything to the house and I actually like to have the facilities and security. And besides, not sure if u can still find a ground level condo which has 5 bed rooms and cost less than 1.9mil within D22? Have seen those terrace in D22 and unfortunately some units can only accommodate 1 car and the road in between the Houses are narrow. The cluster can have two car slot to yourself...

Now I'm just wondering how these two can be compared if just comparing the unit itself.
    Like u said I more or less have gone for cluster in the end.

Built-in refers to GFA which are all the covered areas.

For strata, only the built-in size is stated in the title. For most cluster I have seen, since they build the carpark lots in the basement, the land size that your house effectively sits on is smaller, usually not more than 700 sqft. But since all the clusters share the common facilities, the total land area of the entire development is divided across the number of units for a rough gauge of your share of the land size.
    There is no statuary definition of built-in area, but there is clear definition for GFA. So declarations of built-in area is not bidding.

The above statement "only the built-in size is stated in the title" for cluster housing is not quite accurate. The strata area for cluster housing is stated in your title. This strata area IS NOT the built-in area or GFA. This includes non GFA areas such as private carpark, PES front and back, plus roof terrace. In some developments, even the void space above your PES. That's why the strata area is so much bigger than the "built-in" area.

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    There is no statuary definition of built-in area, but there is clear definition for GFA. So declarations of built-in area is not bidding.

The above statement "only the built-in size is stated in the title" for cluster housing is not quite accurate. The strata area for cluster housing is stated in your title. This strata area IS NOT the built-in area or GFA. This includes non GFA areas such as private carpark, PES front and back, plus roof terrace. In some developments, even the void space above your PES. That's why the strata area is so much bigger than the "built-in" area.
    U r right, bro. Strata area is effectively built-up area which includes the exposed areas. Void space in the case of airwell i doubt is included though

U r right, bro. Strata area is effectively built-up area which includes the exposed areas. Void space in the case of airwell i doubt is included though
    Huh? "Built-up" areas include PES? Roof terrace? A little harder to convince people. Private carpark maybe... Like I said, there's no defination, ask the agents... Though I don't quite trust them... As its not binding.

Void space like double height space is counted as strata area. Yes, you're paying for air. Which accounts for the popularity of "lofts" by developers. Free saleable area.

My opinion is quite opp from yours. I don't really need the flex to do anything to the house and I actually like to have the facilities and security. And besides, not sure if u can still find a ground level condo which has 5 bed rooms and cost less than 1.9mil within D22? Have seen those terrace in D22 and unfortunately some units can only accommodate 1 car and the road in between the Houses are narrow. The cluster can have two car slot to yourself...

Now I'm just wondering how these two can be compared if just comparing the unit itself.
    Like u said I more or less have gone for cluster in the end.
    To each his own. I suppose you like the new finishings and find the 'condo' lifestyle in the cluster project to be quite attractive.

If you are living there and intend it to be your family home for life , then go ahead but be mindful of the capital values down the road. This is especially so for leasehold cluster and even terrace house. Values do deteriorate quite rapidly once the house reaches a certain age.

Cluster vs Landed: Do you wish to be 1 of the 70,000 landed owners in Singapore or you prefer to be one of the rest i.e. strata title - can't remember how many are there though, probly few hundred thousand units?

Paiseh, i think out of the 70,000 landed properties in Singapore, 20,000 belongs to strata land title. So pure breed landed is only 50,000.

Paiseh, i think out of the 70,000 landed properties in Singapore, 20,000 belongs to strata land title. So pure breed landed is only 50,000.
    Maybe the rare one should be cluster houses in that case. To be frank, if I'm not going to do anything to the unit I buy, and if it is LH99, I have no preference be it strata title or land title. I think ultimately we must like the environment we choose to stay for long...

Nice way to put it. For me, I prefer pure breed, FH & 999LH...

Maybe the rare one should be cluster houses in that case. To be frank, if I'm not going to do anything to the unit I buy, and if it is LH99, I have no preference be it strata title or land title. I think ultimately we must like the environment we choose to stay for long...
    It sounds like you are already hooked on cluster. There's no right or wrong, be it condo, cluster, landed => all will appreciate in the long run amidst interim fluctuations.

Hearsay, one Minister just bought a $17M landed recently. It shows how bullish our govt is on the property market!

It sounds like you are already hooked on cluster. There's no right or wrong, be it condo, cluster, landed => all will appreciate in the long run amidst interim fluctuations.

Hearsay, one Minister just bought a $17M landed recently. It shows how bullish our govt is on the property market!

ya think will go for cluster for those pts. but the only concern is how they calculate the psf as some use built-in and some use built-up and quite confusing and it makes a lot of diff...for condo, the price has risen to such a level which i think cluster or landed is more worthwhile (for those bigger units). as foreigner can only buy condo, that i can understand...

ya think will go for cluster for those pts. but the only concern is how they calculate the psf as some use built-in and some use built-up and quite confusing and it makes a lot of diff...for condo, the price has risen to such a level which i think cluster or landed is more worthwhile (for those bigger units). as foreigner can only buy condo, that i can understand...
    U might wanna check out Cotswold Villas, one of the nicest cluster I have seen with private lap pool. But only 7 units hor => maintenance gonna be big years down the road.

Default real estate investors

We have to analysis about the process of this real estates.strata area vs built in area.Then where will be the best of property in particular area?suggest with me.thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by realestates1
    We have to analysis about the process of this real estates.strata area vs built in area.Then where will be the best of property in particular area?suggest with me.thanks.
    Look for older projects, before bay windows, planters, balconies and ac ledges. What you pay is what you get.

Newer, well not so new, projects eg Paterson edge, quite good already.... Only ac ledge, everything else built in.

All newer ones quite bad.

Look for older projects, before bay windows, planters, balconies and ac ledges. What you pay is what you get.

Newer, well not so new, projects eg Paterson edge, quite good already.... Only ac ledge, everything else built in.

All newer ones quite bad.
    I think you mean "small" rather than "bad " I suppose...

look at the floor plan to be more exact. Last Fri was their dateline to be as clear as possible and I heard some projects they have revised their floor plan to include much more details....what I heard huh, don't quote me. So in a way, u will have a clearer picture. For most cluster projects I have seen, the strata include everything. But they also have built in whereby they exclude ac ledge, roof terrace, etc. So u got to look carefully. The show room for The Woods by far one of the best comparing to others townhouses...go take a look. Just my opinion...

I think you mean "small" rather than "bad " I suppose...

look at the floor plan to be more exact. Last Fri was their dateline to be as clear as possible and I heard some projects they have revised their floor plan to include much more details....what I heard huh, don't quote me. So in a way, u will have a clearer picture. For most cluster projects I have seen, the strata include everything. But they also have built in whereby they exclude ac ledge, roof terrace, etc. So u got to look carefully. The show room for The Woods by far one of the best comparing to others townhouses...go take a look. Just my opinion...
    No meant BAD.... Too much usable areas.... Bay windows, balconies, ac ledge etc... Cluttered housing is the worst

Default real estate investors

Thanks for this post.

No meant BAD.... Too much usable areas.... Bay windows, balconies, ac ledge etc... Cluttered housing is the worst
    i think cluster house is just not for u... what u mentioned is also included in the size of a condo or even those landed size per say...