Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am fortunate or unfortunate?

Default A Gift is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    I wouldn't do that if I were you. It will only add stress to the relationship between your children and their spouse. If for daughter, maybe son-in-law may not mind. But, if for son, I am 99% sure the wife will mind. She will also want to protect her children too in case the husband goes astray and will the house to the other woman eventually. Not unless she is extremely rich herself.

If I were to pay for my children's house in their name, I would treat the house as a gift in the true sense of the word; unconditional and free from all encumbrances. My children will be free to deal with it as they deem fit. If they decide to divorce later, they will have to live with the consequences of their decision. But, I won't sell my house to finance theirs and live with them.
    Fully agree with you. Once the gift is given to the children, it is theirs.
    I will not have any say on it any more.

Thanks,
    Richard

Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    Fully agree with you. Once the gift is given to the children, it is theirs.
    I will not have any say on it any more.

Thanks,
    Richard

Wow, seems like all the men think alike!
    I don't think I can be that magnanimous.

You mean its ok if your father-in-law tell your husband what to do with his money/assets including leaving you out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Wow, seems like all the men think alike!
    I don't think I can be that magnanimous.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    You mean its ok if your father-in-law tell your husband what to do with his money/assets including leaving you out of it?
    It is not ok.
    That's why when I was dating, I preferred men who are not dependent on their parents or those with no parents.

So you see.

Laguna (forgive me for saying so) is not entirely sincere in his "gift". It is actually a way to bypass the government measures, thus the conditions to his son not to include his spouse in the asset.

Let's call a spade a spade.... if not for the government measures, Laguna will just buy it for himself rather than his son.

It is not ok.
    That's why when I was dating, I preferred men who are not dependent on their parents or those with no parents.

So you see.

Laguna (forgive me for saying so) is not entirely sincere in his "gift". It is actually a way to bypass the government measures, thus the conditions to his son not to include his spouse in the asset.

Let's call a spade a spade.... if not for the government measures, Laguna will just buy it for himself rather than his son.
    Actually what did Laguna save by buying under his/ her child's name?

Default Credit Line

Credit Line has value as well.
    We all know that.

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    Credit Line has value as well.
    We all know that.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Hi rich,
    Modus operandi ...... anything else?
    Cos I am really bad at these things.

Me...no comments....on all the speculations and guess works

He can save on the absd, tens of thousands... Which he can splurge on mei meis on his trip to hk or macau or china.

ABSD.... 3%

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    He can save on the absd, tens of thousands... Which he can splurge on mei meis on his trip to hk or macau or china.
    ABSD.... 3%
    Thanks.
    Yup, save tens of thousands.
    But Laguna sounds like a benevolent parent.
    I can't imagine Laguna splurging and indulging in vice.

Quote Originally Posted by cnud
    Similar sentiments. But nav14 approach also good. If pay for them, I expect the 20% to be captured.
    It would mean the house title deed would have to be tenants in common. Disagreements can occur if one party wants to sell the house and the other does not agree etc.. It could end up in an ugly legal battle, souring all relationships.

Also your children's spouse can will his/her share of the property to whomever he/she wishes. And then, an outsider can lay claim to your shared property. Think about it.

In other words, you could be forcing your children to have it as tenants in common when a joint tenancy might be a better option.
    Last edited by fclim; 10-10-12 at 23:16.

Wise words..

It would mean the house title deed would have to be tenants in common. Disagreements can occur if one party wants to sell the house and the other does not agree etc.. It could end up in an ugly legal battle, souring all relationships.

Also your children's spouse can will his/her share of the property to whomever he/she wishes. And then, an outsider can lay claim to your shared property. Think about it.

In other words, you could be forcing your children to have it as tenants in common when a joint tenancy might be a better option.

Depending on the quantum of the purchase and hence the ABSD, such manoeuvring to circumvent the ABSD may be penny wise pound foolish in the long run. It is predicated on a filial son and subservient daughter-in-law.

My statement is general and not directed at Laguna specifically.

Thanks.
    Yup, save tens of thousands.
    But Laguna sounds like a benevolent parent.
    I can't imagine Laguna splurging and indulging in vice.

Tenants in common for 3 persons possible? Me, my son and his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by cnud
    Tenants in common for 3 persons possible? Me, my son and his wife.
    For private, can be any number. 100 also can.
    HDB i dunno.

it is not just ABSD, higher LTV. But I believe I need to start my children in investment as early as possible.

Learning from books is different from putting into action.

I wonder how will the parents feel if their daughter's husband does not include their daughter's name in the house.

Anyway, just to share a story. A married man stays in a pte ppty got involved with a China mei mei, so later divorce with his wife to marry this China mei mei. His ex-wife's name was not included in the house, so he only gave his ex-wife a certain sum of money, their 2 teenage children will be taken care of by her husband. Somehow, don't know why, this time he added this China mei mei's (2nd wife) name in the house. Later she gave birth to a son and things start to change after 1 or 2 years. His 2nd wife starts to quarrel with him every day, forcing him to divorce so that she can have half of the share of the ppty.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    I wonder how will the parents feel if their daughter's husband does not include their daughter's name in the house.

Anyway, just to share a story. A married man stays in a pte ppty got involved with a China mei mei, so later divorce with his wife to marry this China mei mei. His ex-wife's name was not included in the house, so he only gave his ex-wife a certain sum of money, their 2 teenage children will be taken care of by her husband. Somehow, don't know why, this time he added this China mei mei's (2nd wife) name in the house. Later she gave birth to a son and things start to change after 1 or 2 years. His 2nd wife starts to quarrel with him every day, forcing him to divorce so that she can have half of the share of the ppty.
    Sis, did u know if married and spouse name not included. When die, the house will go to spouse and family. Nothing to parents.

If write will, the will can be superceded with a new will and the person willed to can use this new will to claim possession.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Sis, did u know if married and spouse name not included. When die, the house will go to spouse and family. Nothing to parents.

If write will, the will can be superceded with a new will and the person willed to can use this new will to claim possession.
    Yes, but if divorce, the wife has no share of the house, right. I think everybody will know that new will always supercede the old one unless they can prove that there is something wrong with the new will.

Don't know whether are you all aware that when divorce, the wife can claim full possession of the pc even though the pc was paid by the husband using his CPF. My friend did that, she claims the whole pc and car leaving nothing for the husband, so if she will to sell the house, all the money will go to her instead of putting back to her husband's CPF. Who ask her husband to commit adultery with the China mei mei and insisted for divorce, so his wife made him sign this agreement with the lawyer. Their 2 teenage children will be taken care of by the wife.

Yes, but if divorce, the wife has no share of the house, right. I think everybody will know that new will always supercede the old one unless they can prove that there is something wrong with the new will.

Don't know whether are you all aware that when divorce, the wife can claim full possession of the pc even though the pc was paid by the husband using his CPF. My friend did that, she claims the whole pc and car leaving nothing for the husband, so if she will to sell the house, all the money will go to her instead of putting back to her husband's CPF. Who ask her husband to commit adultery with the China mei mei and insisted for divorce, so his wife made him sign this agreement with the lawyer. Their 2 teenage children will be taken care of by the wife.
    i think the wife's husband is kind enough to give her the whole house.
    just beware that it is not a wife's entitlement to claim the whole house. dont be misled by by this example ok.

I still think CPF has the first charge on the property. Can any one enlighten on this

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    i think the wife's husband is kind enough to give her the whole house.
    just beware that it is not a wife's entitlement to claim the whole house. dont be misled by by this example ok.
    I think her husband feels guilty for his wrong doing, in the end the China mei mei went back to China. His wife still have feeling for her husband. Because of this, she suffered from depression, she cut her wrist in a few occasions but was saved by her mother and daughter. It dragged for a few years, until finally it comes to her sense that no matter how hard she tried to save the marriage, also no use, in the end make up her mind and with advise from friends to claim everything from her husband. Now her husband is "ren chai liang kong".

Sis, legally the husband can sue because there is proof of payment via cpf. If paid via cash thru giro, it is still proof.

Like hopeful said, don't take this as a precedence because it is not a precedence in court.

Trust me, my legal quite solid. If I don't know, I have a few legal eagle friends.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Sis, legally the husband can sue because there is proof of payment via cpf. If paid via cash thru giro, it is still proof.

Like hopeful said, don't take this as a precedence because it is not a precedence in court.

Trust me, my legal quite solid. If I don't know, I have a few legal eagle friends.
    I was surprised also when I heard about this. I thought that when you sell your house, the money should go back to the respective CPF accounts. Maybe like what hopeful says, her husband is kind enough to give it to her.

I think her husband feels guilty for his wrong doing, in the end the China mei mei went back to China. His wife still have feeling for her husband. Because of this, she suffered from depression, she cut her wrist in a few occasions but was saved by her mother and daughter. .....
    what a joker. failure in marriage, failure in suicide. can't she do things right?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    what a joker. failure in marriage, failure in suicide. can't she do things right?
    Don't be so mean lah, she is already so pitiful. At least she has a good pay job and earn more than her husband. She paid for almost all their household expenses before the marriage sour. She even helped her husband to clear his debt. For once, her husband had lost his memory (short-term) and she was there to support, never give up but now she had totally given up, sign....

... her husband is "ren chai liang kong".
    i was googling for what the meaning of "ren chai liang kong" as i am chinese illiterate.
    this link came up.
    http://idobaby.com/forum/lofiversion...hp/t17704.html

Didnt know honeytrappers so well paid. Can have pleasure with business