Page 74 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4449545964697071727374757677787984 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2656

Thread: BOND THREAD

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

On hindsight the analysts are right because CCR private property prices had CRASHED!

Now the analysts are telling us that OCR private property prices will CRASH going forward with the biggest drop ever (compared to CCR which had already crashed), so will they be correct again this time???

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Analysts also say CCR will still continue to trend down or gap down but I refuse to believe them. I wish you luck.

OK I believe I have more or less done a decent but not perfect comparison of bonds versus property. Readers can gauge all the values, question the assumptions and draw their own conclusions. I believe the majority of property buyers in 2011 onwards are geared towards very long term holdings, and price movements may not be obvious. Slow appreciation for the time being but within expectations.

Will let CBSH continue with his sharing of good bond offering and not carry on in this thread. Thanks.

Respect and salute... But but but....

You and wife can afford a lifestyle trading currency because you are a landlord right???

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    In 1996/7 due to my salary, I could not apply for HDB.
    I was offered an EC, which i bought, at about 600k ( after grant).
    It didnt TOP until 1999.

During Asian crisis, a lot of banks/Traders lost a lot a lot of $$$$... I am sure those who invested in Equities / Bonds / Properties all died like a dog.

I was lucky.

My own trading + my bank's trading both did VERY VERY WELL.

We were totally unharmed by the crisis. Instead, made a lot of money.

Then there was 911.
    Sars.

Property prices continued to fall.

2004 i started to market to sell my EC.

I lowered the price to 345k ( almost half price ) .. there was NO BUYER.

Frustrated, i decided not to sell.

In 2004/5, a brilliant trading idea came to mind.

I started my Buying spree in 2005.

Buying landed houses, Penthouse condos.

My instructions to agent was :
    BIG units,
    FREEHOLD,
    D 1,2,3,4,5 and 10

the smallest condo i bought was 2271 sqft.

when the mkt started going crazy..... 2 of my old condos, got enbloc, both D10.

With the $$ from the enbloc, I bought another landed.

The rest of the $$ went into my Currency trading acc ...

regardless Up and Down economies ... theres always opportunities to make $$ in currency trading

Between 2007 to 2012 .... i was in USA ....

I became a landlord. and that felt really good.

My wife quit her job in 2007 just before we left SG.

when we returned in 2012... i retired.

Today ... i am still a landlord.
    I am still trading my currency ( not full time )

during the 2008/9 Lehman crisis, I was managing the banks' cash book of USD 5bio.

While now everyone is still suing banks for their loses, I was again lucky. I made a lot of $$ for my bank.

MAYBE i have been lucky.

I have seen friends / relatives lost shxt loads of $$ in Equities / Bonds / Properties while i have always been lucky in Currency.

that i tend to be biased and favor trading currency.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Bro, let's take it offline out of this thread. This is a Bond thread and it serves another type of investment. If you need, I can open a thread for you.

This is the more anal analyst report:

http://sbr.com.sg/residential-proper...e-one-off-blip

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    On hindsight the analysts are right because CCR private property prices had CRASHED!

Now the analysts are telling us that OCR private property prices will CRASH going forward with the biggest drop ever (compared to CCR which had already crashed), so will they be correct again this time???

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Respect and salute... But but but....

You and wife can afford a lifestyle trading currency because you are a landlord right???
    chicken and egg rite? our bro made shxtloads in trading currency then can buy ppty, then ppty en bloc made shxtloads again and can buy more ppty. dunno which came first. both sides huat.

If I were to guess, the bulk of the money was made via property, whereas the trading profit is icing on the cake. (like multi millions from property, hundreds of ks up to a mil from trading)

needs both gut and luck, indeed. and intelligence, to carry out the plan sensibly.

2003 going big on property is gut. I know where proud owner stays now. someone very close to me bought one at 2mil in that project in D10 in 2003, today it's worth at least 6-7mil. this pty alone made 5mil.

getting enbloc'ed is more luck than skill. but going in pty market instead of capital market after SARS, is gut. my capital market folio, if viewed from 2007, after 10ys, is flat. in 2009 it's 50% down. Do not assume bonds are better than stocks. my CAPL bond, consider bluechip right, was 60c during that time.

I remain convinced in Singapore/HK this kind of city state, property is where big money is made by ordinary people. Trading does not get you rich. Property can.

btw making big money on forex is extremely rare. fx is an extremely risky business. and fx is NOT an investment.
    Last edited by amk; 14-04-16 at 15:11.

Kelonguni and AMK,

Its a chicken and egg ....

If it was for currency trading ... i would nt have been able to invest the $$ in other areas, which in 2004/5, right after SARS, my research showed that i should invest in Properties ...

which has proven to be right.

However, over the years, still with trading, i was able to only take 10/15 yr loans for all my property purchases. in fact, every other year, i would pay off a lump sum... and by 2012 all were paid off...loan free...

Yes as a landlord, one might say, property is the right investment...

but apart from 1 of the houses, rent has been falling over the years.

Though full paid, the returns is 'diminishing' in that sense.

SInce they are loan free, and Freehold, i dont really care how much they are worth now. I am only concern that rent is getting lower ..

i for one will not haggle over a couple of $100.
    whats important to me is that they get tenanted as quickly as possible.

one of my landed, which i bought for 1 mil , spent 500k to rebuild. Total cost 1.5mil..
    since 2007 , till 2015, it was tenanted at 10k a mth ...

that was my best rental return.. anyway i sold it off in 2015... at about 3.5 mil

i have really only lived in that house for the first 6 mths ...

we sold it because we knew we wouldnt live there ... and that prices was TOPPISH for that location.

not regrets... in fact ... subsequent sales in that area were much much lower...below 3mil

meanwhile trading on my own at home ... 2 to 3 hrs max ... i continue to generate very consistent income ( spending money) with just 20k in that trading acc ... i still generate 10-15k a mth ...

prop mkt weakens, rent falls ... but my trading remain constant ...

if i put more into the trading acc ... i am pretty sure i can generate more .. but hey ...10k is good enough for me and me alone hahah

my wife and household spending comes from the rental ...

hence i still believe it is a chicken and egg situation or should i say a CYCLE

Trading enabled me to divest into Real Estate ( which to me is LONG TERM INVESTMENT)

This LT investment run up shortened my investment life ...thanks to the good entry price level and timing..

That in turn, enabled me to re-invest more back into Trading ..

having said that i am now looking into BUYING Businesses ...

any business that has been doing well but now slowing due to 'whatever reasons'.
    ANd if my research tells me that it has potential going forward ... i will consider ...

Can you disclose your age or maybe age group?

Kelonguni and AMK,

Its a chicken and egg ....

If it was for currency trading ... i would nt have been able to invest the $$ in other areas, which in 2004/5, right after SARS, my research showed that i should invest in Properties ...

which has proven to be right.

However, over the years, still with trading, i was able to only take 10/15 yr loans for all my property purchases. in fact, every other year, i would pay off a lump sum... and by 2012 all were paid off...loan free...

Yes as a landlord, one might say, property is the right investment...

but apart from 1 of the houses, rent has been falling over the years.

Though full paid, the returns is 'diminishing' in that sense.

SInce they are loan free, and Freehold, i dont really care how much they are worth now. I am only concern that rent is getting lower ..

i for one will not haggle over a couple of $100.
    whats important to me is that they get tenanted as quickly as possible.

one of my landed, which i bought for 1 mil , spent 500k to rebuild. Total cost 1.5mil..
    since 2007 , till 2015, it was tenanted at 10k a mth ...

that was my best rental return.. anyway i sold it off in 2015... at about 3.5 mil

i have really only lived in that house for the first 6 mths ...

we sold it because we knew we wouldnt live there ... and that prices was TOPPISH for that location.

not regrets... in fact ... subsequent sales in that area were much much lower...below 3mil

meanwhile trading on my own at home ... 2 to 3 hrs max ... i continue to generate very consistent income ( spending money) with just 20k in that trading acc ... i still generate 10-15k a mth ...

prop mkt weakens, rent falls ... but my trading remain constant ...

if i put more into the trading acc ... i am pretty sure i can generate more .. but hey ...10k is good enough for me and me alone hahah

my wife and household spending comes from the rental ...

hence i still believe it is a chicken and egg situation or should i say a CYCLE

Trading enabled me to divest into Real Estate ( which to me is LONG TERM INVESTMENT)

This LT investment run up shortened my investment life ...thanks to the good entry price level and timing..

That in turn, enabled me to re-invest more back into Trading ..

having said that i am now looking into BUYING Businesses ...

any business that has been doing well but now slowing due to 'whatever reasons'.
    ANd if my research tells me that it has potential going forward ... i will consider ...

bro, u r not comparing apples to apples leh. if u compare the time that bro proud owner went into ppty market u must compare 2005 equities vs now. but of course the end result is the same, buying ppty in 2005 was the right thing for those who had funds and willing to leverage up (that was the right time to leverage up, now is not/cannot anyway). capital markets from 2005 till now, it is possible to make decent returns but with tonnes more heart stopping moments vs bro proud owner, who can just sit back, relax and pay off loan!

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    but going in pty market instead of capital market after SARS, is gut. my capital market folio, if viewed from 2007, after 10ys, is flat. in 2009 it's 50% down. Do not assume bonds are better than stocks. my CAPL bond, consider bluechip right, was 60c during that time.

I remain convinced in Singapore/HK this kind of city state, property is where big money is made by ordinary people. Trading does not get you rich. Property can.

btw making big money on forex is extremely rare. fx is an extremely risky business. and fx is NOT an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    bro, u r not comparing apples to apples leh. if u compare the time that bro proud owner went into ppty market u must compare 2005 equities vs now.
    huh I was doing that what ?? I said going into pty after SARS instead of capital market is the right thing to do, and you need guts to do it. Basically u made more from property than othr financial investments duringthis period. I use 2006 because that's the year I opened the PB acct and I had the statement of AUM valuation, which is the same as the valuation last year. I am using my own sample to show financial investment is inferior to pty investment for this time frame.
    Actually proud owner is also smart, such that he can have a high paying job to support the ambition in 2005. To be successful you need all three, gut, luck and intelligence.

I think only 0.0001% of people can have the combination of events and strategy he did. It's not easily relevant to most of us.

For lesser mortals, have to work plus invest well to retire decently. 5K per month after retiring at 50 I happy lo.

Put a few dollars into TOTO every week see got luck bo.

huh I was doing that what ?? I said going into pty after SARS instead of capital market is the right thing to do, and you need guts to do it. Basically u made more from property than othr financial investments duringthis period. I use 2006 because that's the year I opened the PB acct and I had the statement of AUM valuation, which is the same as the valuation last year. I am using my own sample to show financial investment is inferior to pty investment for this time frame.
    Actually proud owner is also smart, such that he can have a high paying job to support the ambition in 2005. To be successful you need all three, gut, luck and intelligence.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

proud owner bro, to generate 10-20k income pm from trading consistently, is not something that can be achieved easily. In fact it should be extremely rare. At the end of the day, it is still the multi millions made from properties that gave u the wealth ( and capital).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikeu View Post
    Can you disclose your age or maybe age group?

when i was in college ... there was only 7 of them ....

proud owner bro, to generate 10-20k income pm from trading consistently, is not something that can be achieved easily. In fact it should be extremely rare. At the end of the day, it is still the multi millions made from properties that gave u the wealth ( and capital).
    It takes a lot of discipline ...

Know when to CUT FLESH when necessary..
    but when comes time to make a killing make sure you slice a bigger chunk of Flesh off the market ...

I think only 0.0001% of people can have the combination of events and strategy he did. It's not easily relevant...
    actually not really. It's quite common. From 2003 to 2006, you have full 3yrs window to go into pty. whoever was at the prime of their career at that time can do it. So first of all, you need to be doing well in ur career 1st, earning 15-20k per month then. this is your skill and effort not luck. Around me there are quite a few like this, made multi millions already. These ppl are smart ppl, already earning good salary from job. Now some of if them also retired early, doing own PE. Those not retired one, doing job for fun, drawing high salary. To have good pay is easy. To have an era like 2003-2006 is opportunity.

when i was in college ... there was only 7 of them ....
    he asking your age..

should be 42-47

Quote Originally Posted by jwong71 View Post
    he asking your age..

should be 42-47
    That is a riddle... To guess his age.

actually not really. It's quite common. From 2003 to 2006, you have full 3yrs window to go into pty. whoever was at the prime of their career at that time can do it. So first of all, you need to be doing well in ur career 1st, earning 15-20k per month then. this is your skill and effort not luck. Around me there are quite a few like this, made multi millions already. These ppl are smart ppl, already earning good salary from job. Now some of if them also retired early, doing own PE. Those not retired one, doing job for fun, drawing high salary. To have good pay is easy. To have an era like 2003-2006 is opportunity.

Bro AMK,

You are very right...

My job enabled me to buy many things .. Lucky i was not much of a spender , as i grew up very poor ... though my grandpa owned a very big piece of land..where we lived ... i learned to save.

Thanks to HDB at that time. Damn balloting failed me... unsuccessful for 2 years ... fed up ... i bought EC.
    That exposed me to 'private housing'.

I studied the trends, the construction cycles, etc etc..

I read a lot. Mostly foreign news, online (reuters/bloomberg), featured articles, etc.

I began actively looking at properties when those who lost their jobs had to sell their properties..

I have learned from Trading... when everyone buys .... you sell... and vice versa.

My income + savings helped... i was able to buy at very good prices.

My good friend who is also a banker cum neighbor , bought a big house at Tudor area at a very very good price..
    we were living in EC at that time ...cannot sell ... cannot own another (by regulation) .. he bought using his parent's name.

I knew from my research, that there would be a huge demand for housing ...

hence i went in to BUY....

Yes 2004 to 2006 were the best years ever to buy... and i dont think i will ever see it again for the rest of my life time...

Like i said ..... i am now looking to BUY businesses ...

those good businesses that, due to current economic situations and need to wind down ...

dont say i dont keep tips ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikeu View Post
    That is a riddle... To guess his age.
    if guessing his age is a riddle, and you asking for his age same too...

Looking at the whole population of people at different ages, it is uncommon to bump into that period at the peak of career with sufficient education to understand what was going on. Many people, maybe 60 to 70% only peak at below 10K.

Plus his uncanny strategy to play FX.

Combined together, the people with the combination of chance, age, education, and risk propensity across the whole of SG population is very small.

I just started to own my humble property in 2006.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Bro AMK,

You are very right...

My job enabled me to buy many things .. Lucky i was not much of a spender , as i grew up very poor ... though my grandpa owned a very big piece of land..where we lived ... i learned to save.

Thanks to HDB at that time. Damn balloting failed me... unsuccessful for 2 years ... fed up ... i bought EC.
    That exposed me to 'private housing'.

I studied the trends, the construction cycles, etc etc..

I read a lot. Mostly foreign news, online (reuters/bloomberg), featured articles, etc.

I began actively looking at properties when those who lost their jobs had to sell their properties..

I have learned from Trading... when everyone buys .... you sell... and vice versa.

My income + savings helped... i was able to buy at very good prices.

My good friend who is also a banker cum neighbor , bought a big house at Tudor area at a very very good price..
    we were living in EC at that time ...cannot sell ... cannot own another (by regulation) .. he bought using his parent's name.

I knew from my research, that there would be a huge demand for housing ...

hence i went in to BUY....

Yes 2004 to 2006 were the best years ever to buy... and i dont think i will ever see it again for the rest of my life time...

Like i said ..... i am now looking to BUY businesses ...

those good businesses that, due to current economic situations and need to wind down ...

dont say i dont keep tips ...
    bro, not many pple have resources to buy businesses leh. got tip also very hard to execute. can only dream.

Yes 2003-2006 era golden time for pty... among my banker friends, one bought a rundown GCB in holland 5mil later sold for 20mil, one bought a pair of houses at 6mil at kheam hock and combine them into one 15k sqft title today worth at least 15mil, another considered "unlucky" since he bought Ardmore park 3.7mil, later only sold for 8mil. And the one with your house type 2mil become 7mil. First and foremost you must be successful in your career 1st, which can give you 20k salary and 500k bonus, with that, come the opportunity like 2003, the smart ones will see the opportunity and went in with confidence. Ppl dun get successful purely by luck. Without the skill to have the success in career, you dun have the capacity to capitalize on opportunity.

K bro, it's not difficult to be at the prime at 2003. In fact, 2001 many banks were doing very very well. Asia crisis didn't really affect many international banks. And many ppl already made in dotcom in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by jwong71 View Post
    he asking your age..

should be 42-47
    good guess. combine EC and relative success in young career. its true that there are many who are successful during the 03 to 05 period. however, there may be some who made some bad investments prior to 911 and 03 sars and just wouldn't have as much ammo as bro proud.

Many people, maybe 60 to 70% only peak at below 10k
    Pty investment was never meant for the 60-70% what. So many ppl in 30s already making 15-20k a month already. Even a young girl at a cmdty broker ( Tullett Prebon) makes this amount.

Depends on the target and final goals.

Want to transact gain 5 mil is very unlikely for them. Different strategies different risks different games.

I am underdog fighter. And underdogs can win in unimaginable ways. But not 5 million gain unless strike Toto.

Pty investment was never meant for the 60-70% what. So many ppl in 30s already making 15-20k a month already. Even a young girl at a cmdty broker ( Tullett Prebon) makes this amount.
    Last edited by Kelonguni; 14-04-16 at 23:55.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

really ?

they still making that kind of salary ?

I know when i started in the banking industry ... the brokers earned more than bankers...

luckily it changed quickly ...

and bankers soon became the IN job ... i remember some hao lien bankers from Swiss Bank (SBC) put on BOW TIE every friday ... hahahha not long after , they were swallowed by UBS ..

even in NYC where i worked... i only had ties ... and Hugo suits ... cheap cheap brand ...

some money brokers still call me once in a while ... they all now KPKB ... pay cut several rounds ...

This has always been my favourite thread. I remembered reading this twice in 2012 to get an idea into bond and other investment products

Paid a lot of attention to Victor, Laguna and amk and some of the key investors's posts.. I even had an honoured to meet with Laguna back then..

I have a lot of guts, a bit of luck and certainly not as wise as Proud Owner.

Once i gather enough confidence, i went to buying bonds, funds, ELNs with a big bang to the tune of $4+ mio.. The money was my family biz that i managed and huge chunk of it is my own.

I still remember when i shared with Victor on the structured notes I was holding, he sternly asked me not to go into it as i am afterall a newbie. I have in fact under declared how many Option Notes i went in. Luckily all make money, though there was some scaring moment when gold price plunged. I betted heavily on ABX because the coupon was so attractive@18% with a decent strike price. Even with a deep strike, i was converted into shares. 1 mio sgd shares on ABX. Managed to sell off when share price recovers and also with the help of strengthened USD. Phew.... Will never do it again i told myself.

The one that caused me to lose a bit of money is Bonds funds. Equity funds, i made a bit.

I have since unwind most of the positions as I got other priorities. Now when i think back, i was very reckless and luckily i manage to escape unharmed with a little bit of profits

But, once i sell my properties waiting for SSD, i will divert some $ into Bonds like what Victor is doing. I don't have the skills to trade FX, Stocks so Bonds investment is easier to manage (at the moment prefers fixed income instruments). But, I am flexible and just waiting for the right moment to hoot big big on some local bank stocks.

Proud Owner, what are the characteristics of a good Currency Trader? Do you mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by stl67 View Post
    This has always been my favourite thread. I remembered reading this twice in 2012 to get an idea into bond and other investment products

Paid a lot of attention to Victor, Laguna and amk and some of the key investors's posts.. I even had an honoured to meet with Laguna back then..

Once i gather enough confidence, i went to buying bonds, funds, ELNs with a big bang to the tune of $4+ mio.. The money was my family biz that i managed and huge chunk of it is my own.

I still remember when i shared with Victor on the structured notes I was holding, he sternly asked me not to go into it as i am afterall a newbie. I have in fact under declared how many Option Notes i went in. Luckily all make money, though there was some scaring moment when gold price plunged. I betted heavily on ABX because the coupon was so attractive@18% with a decent strike price. Even with a deep strike, i was converted into shares. 1 mio sgd shares on ABX. Managed to sell off when share price recovers and also with the help of strengthened USD. Phew.... Will never do it again i told myself.

The one that caused me to lose a bit of money is Bonds funds. Equity funds, i made a bit.

I have since unwind most of the positions as I got other priorities. Now when i think back, i was very reckless and luckily i manage to escape unharmed with a little bit of profits

But, once i sell my properties waiting for SSD, i will divert some $ into Bonds like what Victor is doing. I don't have the skills to trade FX, Stocks so Bonds investment is easier to manage (at the moment prefers fixed income instruments). But, I am flexible and just waiting for the right moment to hoot big big on some local bank stocks.

Proud Owner, what are the characteristics of a good Currency Trader? Do you mind sharing?
    Thanks for the sharing

Quote Originally Posted by stl67 View Post

good sharing. all these PB stuff too complex for me to try.

Yes 2003-2006 era golden time for pty... among my banker friends, one bought a rundown GCB in holland 5mil later sold for 20mil, one bought a pair of houses at 6mil at kheam hock and combine them into one 15k sqft title today worth at least 15mil, another considered "unlucky" since he bought Ardmore park 3.7mil, later only sold for 8mil. And the one with your house type 2mil become 7mil. First and foremost you must be successful in your career 1st, which can give you 20k salary and 500k bonus, with that, come the opportunity like 2003, the smart ones will see the opportunity and went in with confidence. Ppl dun get successful purely by luck. Without the skill to have the success in career, you dun have the capacity to capitalize on opportunity.

K bro, it's not difficult to be at the prime at 2003. In fact, 2001 many banks were doing very very well. Asia crisis didn't really affect many international banks. And many ppl already made in dotcom in 1999.
    Yes that was the era where the bold will be rewarded. Did the same ard that period. Own a HDB , Bought a private thinking to stay and a small studio for investment. and then when saw the price balloon decide to sell them both in 2007. timing was just my luck coz the week I accepted the sales option on the 2 units of my private condo. Bear Stern crashed. Was worried the buys will back out but luckily they didnt. Then sat on the profit for about 12-15th started house hunting again with the gains split it into 5 other private units. and right after my 5th the ABSD and TDSR was implemented. So stopped. Since have sold my HDB a yr back and moved into one of my Bigger Private unit as I was foreseeing rental softening.

Looking back I think it was a matter of luck and timing and people that I met the influenced me in to make some of my buy decision at the right time. Though not out of the woods yet like Proudowner and retired. My plan is to let the tenant pay for my rental for the 4 units till I plan to retire. coz fully paying up the rental units have no benefit coz have to pay more income tax.

But I think those who dared venture during the 2003 to 2008 and then 2009 to 2011 are well rewarded.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Must be at the right age plus education plus savvy to be so lucky.

If like me still below 40, how to buy many 10 years ago? Can only buy 1. Haha...

The roads just get tougher for the newer generations.

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    Yes that was the era where the bold will be rewarded. Did the same ard that period. Own a HDB , Bought a private thinking to stay and a small studio for investment. and then when saw the price balloon decide to sell them both in 2007. timing was just my luck coz the week I accepted the sales option on the 2 units of my private condo. Bear Stern crashed. Was worried the buys will back out but luckily they didnt. Then sat on the profit for about 12-15th started house hunting again with the gains split it into 5 other private units. and right after my 5th the ABSD and TDSR was implemented. So stopped. Since have sold my HDB a yr back and moved into one of my Bigger Private unit as I was foreseeing rental softening.

Looking back I think it was a matter of luck and timing and people that I met the influenced me in to make some of my buy decision at the right time. Though not out of the woods yet like Proudowner and retired. My plan is to let the tenant pay for my rental for the 4 units till I plan to retire. coz fully paying up the rental units have no benefit coz have to pay more income tax.

But I think those who dared venture during the 2003 to 2008 and then 2009 to 2011 are well rewarded.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.