Page 27 of 89 FirstFirst ... 27121722232425262728293031323742475257 ... LastLast

Thread: BOND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    nothing useful to add, just wondering whether cbsh's message would be better received than those other bears like basic, leeds, etc. when will dksg goes on the offensive.....
    What I am saying that marginal potential property buyers will be better off waiting for a big crisis to come & go into stocks . Another big crisis will come. Your return will be not 100%. It can go as high as >500%. It can be done provide U do your homework diligently.Build u your cash & be emotionally ready when it come. Patience is very very very important.

Property cant even go up by 15% in the next 2-3 yrs. Stocks can go up by >500%. I got a friend bought LVS during the crisis at 100,000 shares @US$2 amt US$200k. Now value >US$5m. He intend to sell soon. If this guy Yowetan is very smart enough & plan wisely & wait to go into stock during crsis time. I dont see why he cant fillfull his goal to buy Trizon at D10 after making big profit from stock.

Property is a long term commitment & required holding power. You dont expected your investment in property to go up double for many years to come. You may not even able to beat inflation in the next 10 yrs if U will to buy your 2nd property. Pls sit down & think deeply. You can be one of the top 10% who know when to pick stock during crisis time.

Do U want to be the 90% struggling to use your 30% to 40% of your salary & pay for your mortgage loan ? Or be the 10% who smart & rich always goes against the 90% investment strategy ?

If U say talk is cheap & cannot be done. Then be contented what U hv & live a simple life which is also good.

rdgs,
    Vic

Vic,
    LVS was >$100 in 2008. The issue is u really don't know when is the lowest. At 1/2 price, it would be $70. 1/2 that and it will be $35. 1/2 that and it will be $17.5, etc.... I believe your friend did not just go for LVS. He also went into other stocks... And apparently, LVS was the winner. Look at cit, all time $50+, today it is $4+ if u did not factor in reverse split. So in times of downturn, u need to spread out a few counter to take advantage of this opportunity. Citi was about to go govt bank, LVS was about to go broke.this 2 companies were damn lucky. Look at AIG, still shitty.... But a lot of upside now..

Playing stocks during crisis requires a few things.
    1. Lots of cash
    2. Guts
    3. Gambling mentality
    4. Have to the prepared to lose if enter at wrong time

I got in citi at 20 thinking it was a great discount. Hahahaha... Went in again at 1.50(could have gone in afew more time to ave - lucky did not). Then it dropped to 1 buck. Hahaha...

It was fun time during that period... Lots of excitement....

Go in Singapore stocks. Must have spare cash ready just in case there is rights issue. Hahahaha... Best time to pick up....

I do not suggest Tan to go in, he will be so worried like shit. Playing stocks is only with spare cash.... If not it will be gambling.... And u really need experience and courage. Courage is a lot easier if you have cash.... Say if you have a mil, what is it putting 300k into stocks.... Sup sup swee....u still need spare just in case the purchase is not at the bottom.

It's good u share and yes I do learn and appreciate. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Vic,
    LVS was >$100 in 2008. The issue is u really don't know when is the lowest. At 1/2 price, it would be $70. 1/2 that and it will be $35. 1/2 that and it will be $17.5, etc.... I believe your friend did not just go for LVS. He also went into other stocks... And apparently, LVS was the winner. Look at cit, all time $50+, today it is $4+ if u did not factor in reverse split. So in times of downturn, u need to spread out a few counter to take advantage of this opportunity. Citi was about to go govt bank, LVS was about to go broke.this 2 companies were damn lucky. Look at AIG, still shitty.... But a lot of upside now..

Playing stocks during crisis requires a few things.
    1. Lots of cash
    2. Guts
    3. Gambling mentality
    4. Have to the prepared to lose if enter at wrong time

I got in citi at 20 thinking it was a great discount. Hahahaha... Went in again at 1.50(could have gone in afew more time to ave - lucky did not). Then it dropped to 1 buck. Hahaha...

It was fun time during that period... Lots of excitement....

Go in Singapore stocks. Must have spare cash ready just in case there is rights issue. Hahahaha... Best time to pick up....

I do not suggest Tan to go in, he will be so worried like shit. Playing stocks is only with spare cash.... If not it will be gambling.... And u really need experience and courage. Courage is a lot easier if you have cash.... Say if you have a mil, what is it putting 300k into stocks.... Sup sup swee....u still need spare just in case the purchase is not at the bottom.

It's good u share and yes I do learn and appreciate. Cheers

When I go to investment seminar. During tea break, I would usually overheard those old uncles (60s to 70s) making comment which 90% of us will say. Win a little bit but lose alot.

I overheard another Uncle conversation at OCBC counter when the lady bank teller asks him to buy a safe investment product that beat FD by 1-2%. This uncle rejects it & tell her the OCBC bank share has made him rich when he bought during crisis time. It really strike me why I cannot be like him. But human memories are short. Like what Spanish Philpsopher George Santayana says. "THOSE WHO CANNOT REMEMBER THE PAST ARE CONDEMNED to REPEAT IT" I repeated my misakes again after the 97/98 asia crisis lesson in 08/09 Lehman crisis. I am really lucky to surivive in 08/09.

If U one to be rich, U need to be a developer or really cash rich to buy land.
    Your profit will multiple many times. My architecture who my friend & I engage to design our landed property. He make a comments that the heyday of making very good profit in property will be rare now.We both sold our landed property too early in 2006. But luckily we make money in other area but lesser.

But in stock. A person does not need to be very rich for him to strike rich. All his need is his diligence doing his homework looking for value or growth stock. I believe avail big cash reserve will build his emotional confident when crisis come.

LVS , OSIM , YANLORD etc. All this directors using his own personal money to keep buying very huge amt during the crisis. This is one of the sign u can take note.

i believe marginal potential property buyer will be better off looking for stocks during crisis time. time to change now and dont be the 90% of the herd. be the 10% - the old uncle at ocbc counter investment strategy. patiently wait and build up big cash reserve and emotional ready to buy when crisis come.

rdgs,
    vic

I think this is the only thread which is worth reading, no non sense at all. thanks to all the contributors to this thread.

I have liquidated 50% of my bond holdings and 100% of equity. Sitting on cash now and waiting, waiting.

I am putting a few properties in the markets (HK, My and Sg) for sales. If can realise the sales, that is great. These resale markets are now very slow.

Basically, I see all markets are now directionless, equity appears to be very toppish, bond yield at this stage also cannot buy.

So, my view is just sit on the cash and wait for the right opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by cbsh38584
    When I go to investment seminar. During tea break, I would usually overheard those old uncles (60s to 70s) making comment which 90% of us will say. Win a little bit but lose alot.

I overheard another Uncle conversation at OCBC counter when the lady bank teller asks him to buy a safe investment product that beat FD by 1-2%. This uncle rejects it & tell her the OCBC bank share has made him rich when he bought during crisis time. It really strike me why I cannot be like him. But human memories are short. Like what Spanish Philpsopher George Santayana says. "THOSE WHO CANNOT REMEMBER THE PAST ARE CONDEMNED to REPEAT IT" I repeated my misakes again after the 97/98 asia crisis lesson in 08/09 Lehman crisis. I am really lucky to surivive in 08/09.

If U one to be rich, U need to be a developer or really cash rich to buy land.
    Your profit will multiple many times. My architecture who my friend & I engage to design our landed property. He make a comments that the heyday of making very good profit in property will be rare now.We both sold our landed property too early in 2006. But luckily we make money in other area but lesser.

But in stock. A person does not need to be very rich for him to strike rich. All his need is his diligence doing his homework looking for value or growth stock. I believe avail big cash reserve will build his emotional confident when crisis come.

LVS , OSIM , YANLORD etc. All this directors using his own personal money to keep buying very huge amt during the crisis. This is one of the sign u can take note.

i believe marginal potential property buyer will be better off looking for stocks during crisis time. time to change now and dont be the 90% of the herd. be the 10% - the old uncle at ocbc counter investment strategy. patiently wait and build up big cash reserve and emotional ready to buy when crisis come.

rdgs,
    vic
    Bro, I went in Gardens at bishan in 2010. Bot for 890k. Downpayment 180K thereabouts. Sold in 2012 for 1.2Mil. (I actually wanted to continue to rent... but the offer was in my opinion too good and I can still buy another unit with the "free cash") Used the 370K (including rental income) to get a unit in Pasir Ris. Down about that amount. Waiting for TOP. Will be getting additional income from this unit with a 40% down which was "free". So in a way, it is very similar to your bonds strategy except this is property.

My personal feel is things will still be good over the next 2 years. If things get bad, guess what US will do??? hahahahaha.... Europe has been down for so long, so another mishap will also be not that nerve shattering.... The issue is what will happen after 2 years???? So it is important to still stay vested.... For the typical Singaporean, if the 1st unit is paid, and they have say 1Mil, the issue is they have spent so much of their time on "work" that they are not savy to deal with other financial instruments.... They will have a fear of losing the money. The easiest way is property.... Even if rental is at 3K, still OK.... Can sleep leh... The issue is when the shares crash and they dont pay dividend. Wa Lau, how to survive... I agree that many Singaporeans should start getting savvy with investments but it is not going to happen man.....
    I am happy you are the 10%.... To be the 10% you need 1. Cash, 2. Cash, 3. Cash, 4. knowledge, 5. experience, 6. guts (contrarian).

How to get cash, work your way up to a better salary... Easier said than done... I have no answer to this....

I still encourage people to get the second unit.... The rise of the property is due to inflation.... Inflation will always be here.... Compare 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010 - Compare the price of wanton mee, coke, bus fare, house.... Everything is higher because of inflation.... This is a sad case but true.... Property is a hedge... I have bot a unit in 1996 and seen it go down and today is is way above and I am still renting it out.... The key is to ride it thru... Of course if you can buy at the bottom, all the best.... So I still think we still need to be hedge partially in case our assumptions are wrong.... Everyone has been saying property prices will drop since 2009, and look what happened???? I am not saying it will not drop, but for it to drop, you need a major and long recession, and when that happens, stocks will also drop.... So you still need to have cash to take advantage of the possibility.... So part house, part stocks, part bonds, part cash.... That would be a beautiful spread.... The rental, dividend and coupon will allow you to accumulate cash.... Hahahahahaha

Wish you all the best...

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    I think this is the only thread which is worth reading, no non sense at all. thanks to all the contributors to this thread.

I have liquidated 50% of my bond holdings and 100% of equity. Sitting on cash now and waiting, waiting.

I am putting a few properties in the markets (HK, My and Sg) for sales. If can realise the sales, that is great. These resale markets are now very slow.

Basically, I see all markets are now directionless, equity appears to be very toppish, bond yield at this stage also cannot buy.

So, my view is just sit on the cash and wait for the right opportunities.
    Will cash ever be king again? I am tired of waiting, waiting and waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalk
    cash will only be KING when there is a deep and long recession. Do you see 1 coming??

cash will only be KING when there is a deep and long recession. Do you see 1 coming??
    I can't read this market as prices are high with no euphoria. Something is just not right...as if we are slowly going down the ferries wheel.

I can't read this market as prices are high with no euphoria. Something is just not right...as if we are slowly going down the ferries wheel.
    Let me bring u down memory lane....

1997 (asian crisis) expected or unexpected?
    2001 (dot com bust) expected or unexpected?
    2003 (SARS) expected or unexpected?
    2007 (Lehman bro/ sub prime) expected or unexpected?

Is US in shit? Is Europe in shit? When there is shit, what do the in house govt do? So if Us and europe worsens, what will happen??? More QE... Hahahahaha

So do you expect a long and deep recession? CASH is king only when the sky is falling.... If it is a mild rain, it is OK...... People will still have their job and will not have forced sales...

Let me bring u down memory lane....

1997 (asian crisis) expected or unexpected?
    2001 (dot com bust) expected or unexpected?
    2003 (SARS) expected or unexpected?
    2007 (Lehman bro/ sub prime) expected or unexpected?

Is US in shit? Is Europe in shit? When there is shit, what do the in house govt do? So if Us and europe worsens, what will happen??? More QE... Hahahahaha

So do you expect a long and deep recession? CASH is king only when the sky is falling.... If it is a mild rain, it is OK...... People will still have their job and will not have forced sales...
    When there's no rental income, the investment properties may have to be unloaded.

When there's no rental income, the investment properties may have to be unloaded.
    There will never be no rental income... It is how low to drop to get a tenant...

Brudder, you need to really do an analysis on yourself to determine are you ready...
    1. Do you have enough cash to hold.
    2. Is time on your side (every year passes, your loan tenure reduces)
    3. Are there other instruments?
    4. Are you ready to part with some funds to put in instruments just in case your deep recession never happens.
    5. Are you knowledgeable?
    Please do not listen to me.... Learn to absorb from the forum and learn. You are going to be the one to make a decision to have the plunge. Before you leave home for school, do you look at the sky to give you an indication if it may rain???? Get my drift.... Learn to look out for signs....

Even if the it is black clouds, it is not a confirmed deal that it will rain... but the odds are higher... This time, I really hope you get my drift.

In fact rental is rather strong in the recent months. Have so many expats looking for rental. They still pay when the rent is raised.

..(Lehman bro/ sub prime) expected or unexpected?
    this one, actually bear stearns should have triggered something 6 months earlier.

cbsh's point is "marginal pty investors". these are the ones usually coming in late. there is no money to be made in today's pty market. prudent investors stopped buying investment pty long time ago.

the danger is many ordinary ppl are being lured into this market, becoming "marginal investors".

Bro, I went in Gardens at bishan in 2010. Bot for 890k. Downpayment 180K thereabouts. Sold in 2012 for 1.2Mil. (I actually wanted to continue to rent... but the offer was in my opinion too good and I can still buy another unit with the "free cash") Used the 370K (including rental income) to get a unit in Pasir Ris. Down about that amount. Waiting for TOP. Will be getting additional income from this unit with a 40% down which was "free". So in a way, it is very similar to your bonds strategy except this is property.

My personal feel is things will still be good over the next 2 years. If things get bad, guess what US will do??? hahahahaha.... Europe has been down for so long, so another mishap will also be not that nerve shattering.... The issue is what will happen after 2 years???? So it is important to still stay vested.... For the typical Singaporean, if the 1st unit is paid, and they have say 1Mil, the issue is they have spent so much of their time on "work" that they are not savy to deal with other financial instruments.... They will have a fear of losing the money. The easiest way is property.... Even if rental is at 3K, still OK.... Can sleep leh... The issue is when the shares crash and they dont pay dividend. Wa Lau, how to survive... I agree that many Singaporeans should start getting savvy with investments but it is not going to happen man.....
    I am happy you are the 10%.... To be the 10% you need 1. Cash, 2. Cash, 3. Cash, 4. knowledge, 5. experience, 6. guts (contrarian).

How to get cash, work your way up to a better salary... Easier said than done... I have no answer to this....

I still encourage people to get the second unit.... The rise of the property is due to inflation.... Inflation will always be here.... Compare 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010 - Compare the price of wanton mee, coke, bus fare, house.... Everything is higher because of inflation.... This is a sad case but true.... Property is a hedge... I have bot a unit in 1996 and seen it go down and today is is way above and I am still renting it out.... The key is to ride it thru... Of course if you can buy at the bottom, all the best.... So I still think we still need to be hedge partially in case our assumptions are wrong.... Everyone has been saying property prices will drop since 2009, and look what happened???? I am not saying it will not drop, but for it to drop, you need a major and long recession, and when that happens, stocks will also drop.... So you still need to have cash to take advantage of the possibility.... So part house, part stocks, part bonds, part cash.... That would be a beautiful spread.... The rental, dividend and coupon will allow you to accumulate cash.... Hahahahahaha

Wish you all the best...

I do see property as a hedge against inflation. A 2 pieces meal KCF in yr 2000 was $3+. Today 2013, a KFC 2 piece meal is $7. This is an example what I always tell my friend to encourage to buy property years ago.

But with CMs + huge supply of HDB & Condo in next 1-2 years + slowdown in FT in-take + potential interest rate going up etc etc. Property right now may not be a good choice for Marginal potential buyer now. Maybe in 2015/16. Timing is important for those marginal property invesor who has 300k to 500k. Only those who are cash rich is able to ride the uncertainty in the next few yrs.

Right now, I am suggesting a alternative investment beside phyiscal property. Stock is one of the way to go as I believe there will be another big crisis coming. They hv to start do their homework now to be prepare for it. Dont be caught unprepare & miss it again.

You are very successful in your property investment. I must admit those who are real property investors may not venture into volatile stock. IF stock is too volatile. Buying Bond can be a alternate during crisis time.

rdgs,
    Vic

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    this one, actually bear stearns should have triggered something 6 months earlier.

cbsh's point is "marginal pty investors". these are the ones usually coming in late. there is no money to be made in today's pty market. prudent investors stopped buying investment pty long time ago.

the danger is many ordinary ppl are being lured into this market, becoming "marginal investors".
    Agree... But this ordinary people are so worried about inflation and future "retirement" plan.... If they go in stocks, lagi worst when they have no clue what is happening.... This 80% people will always suffer.... This is a sad part of life... The only way out for them is to move up the ladder or become more financially savvy... But they were not taught all this in school... and their life is engulfed with work and family... That's why the rich get richer - because they have so much advantage available to them via the fact that the banks will offer them "privilege".
    I really see many parent helping the children now providing them an edge... This time is so different from the past... Remember when we were in school, there were not so many school mates with tuition so we were all on equal ground... Look at now... Most kids get extra tuition which makes those without tuition at a disadvantage and this is a fact and we need to accept it... Just like many parents are now helping kids with their down payment...

I do see property as a hedge against inflation. A 2 pieces meal KCF in yr 2000 was $3+. Today 2013, a KFC 2 piece meal is $7. This is an example what I always tell my friend to encourage to buy property years ago.

But with CMs + huge supply of HDB & Condo in next 1-2 years + slowdown in FT in-take + potential interest rate going up etc etc. Property right now may not be a good choice for Marginal potential buyer now. Maybe in 2015/16. Timing is important for those marginal property invesor who has 300k to 500k. Only those who are cash rich is able to ride the uncertainty in the next few yrs.

Right now, I am suggesting a alternative investment beside phyiscal property. Stock is one of the way to go as I believe there will be another big crisis coming. They hv to start do their homework now to be prepare for it. Dont be caught unprepare & miss it again.

You are very successful in your property investment. I must admit those who are real property investors may not venture into volatile stock. IF stock is too volatile. Buying Bond can be a alternate during crisis time.

rdgs,
    Vic
    vic ... all assets are in bubble, especially USD bonds, in fact some stocks like SMRT, SBS may be safer in a crash
    Last edited by phantom_opera; 02-04-13 at 17:33.
    Ride at your own risk !!!

rdgs,
    Vic
    Brudder, dont get me wrong.... I also dabble in stocks and other instruments.... The learning curve is long.... and mistakes must be made to learn and become wiser... I believe in diversification.... I was in the lawyer office to transact on my Gardens and he told me his client sold 3 units of the property as he feels the time is now.... I sold my Gardens and "downgraded" to be still in the game... lower risk... I now collect rental and this helps me to get more moola for the next big thing.... I went in to 3 d printing and the stocks are quite healthy... I also when in to 4G LTE market... as I believe it will be the next big thing... But all this takes time and effort and I find not many invest time and effort into it... You do, you are betting on FB.

So I invest in properties, stocks, etc... I do high risk, low risk and moderate risk.... Just the proportion is different... The damn problem is many people dont know how to apportion it. The issue is schools dont teach and it is up to the individual to learn and read and think.... you are one up on that !!!! Cheers

The price of properties did not go up from 1997 to 2013 if you take account of inflation.... It is worth what it is because of inflation... Hahahahahaha... Maybe slightly more...

DC, how's life???? I am counting down to retirement bro.... In fact, I already can retire... but both wifey and me decided to just work for fun....

Which bank u think has the best RM???? I looking at upgrade....

wah today all the "lau jio" share and contribute. I really like this thread as I can learn a lot and I need to lear fast because I am managing 4mio of reverse morgtgage funds.... sweating...

now Laguna starts to slowly exit which really get me worry. wonder if my backside really itch to venture into this.

anyway since the funds are out, have to do something about it as there is the montly mortgage payment. conciously, I will continue to invest and my strategy is as long as I dont lose, i am happy...

Laguna/Vic make sure your mail box got space for me when I need advice.

BTW DC2008, the Cedar house is going for >$4mio, no negotiation. Your mailbox also full when i tried to reply you the last time.

Brother Chestnut,
    Was a bit worried earlier but after reading your posts, i think is not going to be end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    vic ... all assets are in bubble, especially USD bonds, in fact some stocks like SMRT, SBS may be safer in a crash
    I know. That is why I sold 3 of USD bond amt to USD$750k. My bond holding was S$3.9m in Jan13. Now reduce to $3m. I will slowly sell more bond later in Q3 to further reduce my borrowing.

USD bond US$800k
    SGD bond S$ 2m

rdgs,
    Vic

Quote Originally Posted by stl67
    wah today all the "lau jio" share and contribute. I really like this thread as I can learn a lot and I need to lear fast because I am managing 4mio of reverse morgtgage funds.... sweating...

now Laguna starts to slowly exit which really get me worry. wonder if my backside really itch to venture into this.

anyway since the funds are out, have to do something about it as there is the montly mortgage payment. conciously, I will continue to invest and my strategy is as long as I dont lose, i am happy...

Laguna/Vic make sure your mail box got space for me when I need advice.

BTW DC2008, the Cedar house is going for >$4mio, no negotiation. Your mailbox also full when i tried to reply you the last time.

Brother Chestnut,
    Was a bit worried earlier but after reading your posts, i think is not going to be end of the world.
    Bro stl, this is the start leh..... Watch out for US stocks.... vrooom....
    Wah, u quite gutsy hor... reverse mortgage.... Hahahahaha.... me too, but not so much... must draw money out to make more money leh.... but should be able to repay it off within 1 year... Singapore will be slow.... GDP will be low.... So you need to spread hor... enjoy the ride.... Me still abit bullish but remember always have to keep part cash to take advantage of downturn.... Downturn happens when you are least expecting it.... It happens when everyone is popping champagne and spending like no tomorrow... It is still not happening leh.... Look at dot com era (lots of popping champagne), look at pre lehman (lots of popping champagne).... the price increase you see thru out are the results of low interest rates and damn bloody inflation.... Are you seeing uncle and aunties buying shares???? Not yet right.....

Remember to look out for stars in the new economy to take advantage of.... 3D printing was something I shared with you guys....

Cheers...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Stocks can go up >500%, but can also drop to ZERO.
    So, invest with your eyes wide open!
    Anyway, nobody can tell how much an asset will really go up, just hedge the risks in different instruments is the right way to go... Who knows, properties may shoot up with Koreans wars!

What I am saying that marginal potential property buyers will be better off waiting for a big crisis to come & go into stocks . Another big crisis will come. Your return will be not 100%. It can go as high as >500%. It can be done provide U do your homework diligently.Build u your cash & be emotionally ready when it come. Patience is very very very important.

Property cant even go up by 15% in the next 2-3 yrs. Stocks can go up by >500%. I got a friend bought LVS during the crisis at 100,000 shares @US$2 amt US$200k. Now value >US$5m. He intend to sell soon. If this guy Yowetan is very smart enough & plan wisely & wait to go into stock during crsis time. I dont see why he cant fillfull his goal to buy Trizon at D10 after making big profit from stock.

Property is a long term commitment & required holding power. You dont expected your investment in property to go up double for many years to come. You may not even able to beat inflation in the next 10 yrs if U will to buy your 2nd property. Pls sit down & think deeply. You can be one of the top 10% who know when to pick stock during crisis time.

Do U want to be the 90% struggling to use your 30% to 40% of your salary & pay for your mortgage loan ? Or be the 10% who smart & rich always goes against the 90% investment strategy ?

If U say talk is cheap & cannot be done. Then be contented what U hv & live a simple life which is also good.

rdgs,
    Vic

If you are still in cash and waiting, I am afraid to tell you that your beard will be long before you ever get a chance to invest your money again if you deem current price as too high... My take is we are not even in the middle of the bull run yet, regardless of properties or equities. However, shun bonds!

Don't know when the next crisis will come, when the current one is not even over yet.
    Nobody will knows which will outshine the others, we made educated guess, and dip our legs into everything, but definitely not bonds now!

rdgs,
    Vic

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Don't know when the next crisis will come, when the current one is not even over yet.
    Nobody will knows which will outshine the others, we made educated guess, and dip our legs into everything, but definitely not bonds now!

Thank for your advise.
    No more new bond purchase for me especially USD perp bond. In fact I hv sold US$750k of USD bond just recently. It seem like SGD$ bond is holding very well. slowly move up bit by bit till now. Maybe SGD $ is a safe haven to foreigner investors.

Have been buying some HK dividend stocks recently. Not US stock which perform very well. I used my CPF just to buy SGD stock which has done OK. better than the 2.5% Cpf. Slow moving reit counter (suntec reit).

rdgs,
    Vic

US stocks are for "gambling". That's where you will see huge gains or losses within a short span. Very exciting but not for the faint hearted... Hahahahaha

But if you want huge gains, that's the place.... Of course be prepared for huge losses as well.... If cannot stomach, please stay away....

For me, it is about putting money into some conservative instruments, some into moderate and some into aggressive instruments... You need to know how to apportion to your appetite.

How to do it???? Thru trial and error... Need learning fee....

Staying in the side lines completely, you will also miss some good opportunities along the way. And with many countries printing money, the value of your cash is slowly eroding.

Diversification is impt. Spread the risk.

You need to take SOME risk. No risk no gain.

In today's low interest rate environment, you need to learn how to invest sensibly. With a medium to long term horizon rather than a day to day or monthly outlook.

Need to pay tuition fees. The younger you are, the more you can afford to pay tuition fees. With older folks, need to have a more conservative approach.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Staying in the side lines completely, you will also miss some good opportunities along the way. And with many countries printing money, the value of your cash is slowly eroding.

Diversification is impt. Spread the risk.

You need to take SOME risk. No risk no gain.

In today's low interest rate environment, you need to learn how to invest sensibly. With a medium to long term horizon rather than a day to day or monthly outlook.

Need to pay tuition fees. The younger you are, the more you can afford to pay tuition fees. With older folks, need to have a more conservative approach.

AGREE !!!!!!!! But do remember to leave some cash for the unexpected... Dont get caught with pants down....

Accumulating uetf for now.

I do not believe in selling and buying properties. High overheads.

Invest in yourself and your career. Grow your savings and cash and then accumulate properties during every dip.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Stocks can go up >500%, but can also drop to ZERO.
    So, invest with your eyes wide open!
    Anyway, nobody can tell how much an asset will really go up, just hedge the risks in different instruments is the right way to go... Who knows, properties may shoot up with Koreans wars!
    Alot of people invest with your eyes wide open. But their weakness in emotional trading behaviour failed them even thought they hv high IQ.

There is a financial article from std chart years ago. They hv done a survey against a Professional trader trading in/out against "Auntie" who buy big chip stock during the crisis & hold it. Ten years later, the return of the professional trader only manage to outperform against the "Auntie" by a few % only.

Almost all my friends who are done quite well in biz are not making money Genting share. Surpriselying a ignorant investor who is a clerk 1st time buying genting during the crisis make a few thousand. She reward herself by buying LV wallet (S$800) + a short holiday.

We need IQ & EQ to make money in stock. IQ is not enough to be successful in stock for long term investment. But I believe if a person who got high EQ, he/she got a higher chance to make money in longer term.

rdgs,
    Vic