Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sec 1 school allowance

Drive non-atas car shy to send children to atas school. How about shoes?
    Quote Originally Posted by RCR
    Some say must give more for atas school wor, or else may kena depressive disorder. So scary.

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalk
    Not all secondary schools are the same. If your child goes to an elite or "atas" school, then he will need more pocket money. If not, he may have difficulty fitting in and may even develop some emotional and self-esteem problems.
    Try to help your child blend in with the peers and not stand out too much. Young teens can be very cruel to their peers!
    Go to the new secondary school and look at the environment and maybe talk to some students to get an idea about how much pocket money is enough, and if budget permits, add a bit more.
    Emotional health of young teens is just as important as physical health.
    Prices at school canteens whether elite or neighbourhood are controlled to a large extent. Prices at elite schools could be marginally higher but not much higher but that could also happen at some neighbourhood schools. Just go and check out the canteen prices posted at the individual stalls and you will know how much to give. When it comes to eating at school canteens whether elite or not, not much difference in variety and prices and it is not going to affect self-esteem, etc. What will affect if the child is emotionally weak if the brand of handphone, watch, shoes, bag, which countries they have travelled to, etc. For that you are looking at 100s or 1000s and no more a case of $5 , $10 of $15 a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    I will give @$20 a day, to train them up on saving and manage their own money.

What not sepnt is theirs...what spent is gone for good...they need to learn from young, and with savings, what can they do? shopping or investing? is the next lesson
    My kids can save from even $5 a day (but drinks from home). Major part of their savings come from the exam results incentive payments but they are expected to spend on some "extras" from this savings which we are not willing to buy them as to send them the message that money does not fall from the tree. One of them will be getting a Samsung SIII for showing marked improvement in a weak subject. When we go for holidays they are given a specific amount from which to buy their own souvenirs and anything extra has to come from their savings.

Quote Originally Posted by CondoWE
    How can a poor family afford to give S$20 allowance to a child if they merely earn a peanut? Dun even dare to think if he/she has more than 1 child !

To me, $20 a day is way to much although I can afford it . My thought is 5~7 is more reasonable and it should be able to save some of it if he is saver lo .
    You will not be teaching a child the value of money if you overgive like $20 a day. To inculcate good habits of not overspending and realising the value of money give them no more than $5-$7 a day which should be sufficient for a Primary / Lower sec child and challenge them to save from this amount. This is not a case of being rich or poor. If you want your child to become rich, then do not overpamper him now.

I don't think there is a standard answer. Personally I will give $10 just for meals per day. Teenagers need good nutrition for healthy growth.

1 recess plus lunch?
    Quote Originally Posted by cavaliver
    I don't think there is a standard answer. Personally I will give $10 just for meals per day. Teenagers need good nutrition for healthy growth.

To put things into perspective, my own lunch budget daily is only $10 at raffles place (exclude occasional restaurant dining may once every 1 or 2 weeks depending on season)... How can give the kid $20/day alamak

My lunch is only $2 per day but have god meal with family on weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    To put things into perspective, my own lunch budget daily is only $10 at raffles place (exclude occasional restaurant dining may once every 1 or 2 weeks depending on season)... How can give the kid $20/day alamak

Quote Originally Posted by nav14
    Prices at school canteens whether elite or neighbourhood are controlled to a large extent. Prices at elite schools could be marginally higher but not much higher but that could also happen at some neighbourhood schools. Just go and check out the canteen prices posted at the individual stalls and you will know how much to give. When it comes to eating at school canteens whether elite or not, not much difference in variety and prices and it is not going to affect self-esteem, etc. What will affect if the child is emotionally weak if the brand of handphone, watch, shoes, bag, which countries they have travelled to, etc. For that you are looking at 100s or 1000s and no more a case of $5 , $10 of $15 a day.
    That's the problem with we as a parents nowadays, need to consider their self-esteem and yet do not want them to be spoilt with so much pocket money and become spendthrift. Sign... 父母难做也.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    That's the problem with we as a parents nowadays, need to consider their self-esteem and yet do not want them to be spoilt with so much pocket money and become spendthrift. Sign... 父母难做也.
    Sis, we are the sausage in a hot dog. On top got parents to satisfy, below got children to satisfy. Our time period the most siong. Last time, our parents please their parents, and we please our parents.
    Now we have both side to please.

What about the allowance for primary school ?
    I give $1 for my kids for the usual reccess and additional $2 if they have CCA. They are in neighbourhood school. They could still save some money every week.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemenceLY
    I give $1 for my kids for the usual reccess and additional $2 if they have CCA. They are in neighbourhood school. They could still save some money every week.
    I give my child $2 for normal days and $4 if there is CCA. Depends on what she eats, she may only spend $1 and save the rest. Chicken rice is $1.50 so that is a luxury.

I find the canteen prices to be quite expensive for the quantity or quality they serve. Still remember my days when the fishball noodles is only 30cents...

Quote Originally Posted by ClemenceLY
    I have 2 kids, one is P6 and the other is P2 this year. The below is their school allowance guide..,

P1 to P2, $1
    P3 to P4, $1.5
    P5 to P6, $2

Double the allowance if CCA on that day.
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Sis, we are the sausage in a hot dog. On top got parents to satisfy, below got children to satisfy. Our time period the most siong. Last time, our parents please their parents, and we please our parents.
    Now we have both side to please.

Yes, I fully feel the burnt from the old and the young.
    The old ones, see doctors so often, and average, eye clinic takes 4-5 hours, don't talk about medical bills. And last week, 5 trips to hospitals, this week 3 trips.....

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    Yes, I fully feel the burnt from the old and the young.
    The old ones, see doctors so often, and average, eye clinic takes 4-5 hours, don't talk about medical bills. And last week, 5 trips to hospitals, this week 3 trips.....
    I know, our forefathers had it good. Our generation damn siong. I wanted to sell my peugeot because my daughter studying in melbourne. She tell me, like that when I come back, how I drive???

My boss(wifey) win - she say Don't Sell !!! I

Hahahahahahahahaha. But I very cool, Ok lor, very most you all have less when I kick the bucket la.... But still they will have more than enough...

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    1 recess plus lunch?
    Maybe I should say $10 per day for pocket money. Personally, I am not a person who is very exact with money. I just think it is good to have a bit extra.
    I remember I used to eat a lot during puberty.
    I wonder when the kids grew up will they also start a thread to discuss how much they will give to the parents ?(even if the parents are financially independent )
    Last edited by cavaliver; 31-10-12 at 09:41.

Maybe I should say $10 per day for pocket money. Personally, I am not a person who is very exact with money. I just think it is good to have a bit extra.
    I wonder when the kids grew up will they also start a thread to discuss how much they will give to the parents ?(even if the parents are financially independent )
    Did we ever discuss how much we give to parents in this forum today? No right. The future generation can forget it. 80 to 90 % don't give one.
    I believe most here did give some to parents but too shy to disclose here. That's understandable.

You want to start a new thread & test the response?

But our parents generation very different... Big time savers, whether u give them 1k or 2k per month they still spend the min to get by mayb 300 or 400 and then save the rest... How to encourage them to spend for enjoyment & luxury?

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Did we ever discuss how much we give to parents in this forum today? No right. The future generation can forget it. 80 to 90 % don't give one.
    I believe most here did give some to parents but too shy to disclose here. That's understandable.

You want to start a new thread & test the response?

There is always an emergency money in their wallet. It was hardly used.

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    But our parents generation very different... Big time savers, whether u give them 1k or 2k per month they still spend the min to get by mayb 300 or 400 and then save the rest... How to encourage them to spend for enjoyment & luxury?
    That's ok. You can't change their habits. Just need to do your part as a son/daughter.