Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sec 1 school allowance

Default Sec 1 school allowance

Hi guy,

My son is going to Sec 1 next year, so would like to know how much allowance should I give him?

My plan is Sec 1 & 2 ,S$5 and Sec 3 & 4, S$7. If CCA or stay back, add 50% more to their allowance.. .

Isit sufficient? Or too little?
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

Hmm.. depends on whether he will be packing any drinks / food / snacks to school? I attended an event at a school in Bukit Timah last week, and went to the canteen to get a drink. The cheapest was Ribena, and that cost $1 for one glass! I think that is the price they charge the students too, which means if your son doesn't have his own drinks, he'll need more than $5 for food and drinks!

I didn't even get any food from the canteen but i'm sure it's not cheap.

I think if you give $5, your son will have no savings, just spend all on food.

I give my secondary school kids $10 per day.
    $5 - too little especially if they have to eat lunch in school.

This is the growing up stage, $10 is min.
    I suggest $15 a day and educate them on the importance of savings and managing own money.
    And by the time the reach uni, will have some small seed money for investment.

I used to get $20 PER WEEK in Sec sch for lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123

Bro, inflation lah. I got $5 per week exclude bus. Because got bus stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123

That was eons ago, right?
    Inflation .....

In uni days, I got only $200 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    I give my secondary school kids $10 per day.
    $5 - too little especially if they have to eat lunch in school.
    If for food and drinks alone, $10 is a bit too much. The child will not even have the time to eat $10 worth of food /drinks. $7 is just about right if you do not bring any packet drinks/snacks from home. Otherwise $5 is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by nav14
    If for food and drinks alone, $10 is a bit too much. The child will not even have the time to eat $10 worth of food /drinks. $7 is just about right if you do not bring any packet drinks/snacks from home. Otherwise $5 is sufficient.
    I find it too troublesome to give them anything less than $10 .

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead
    Hmm.. depends on whether he will be packing any drinks / food / snacks to school? I attended an event at a school in Bukit Timah last week, and went to the canteen to get a drink. The cheapest was Ribena, and that cost $1 for one glass! I think that is the price they charge the students too, which means if your son doesn't have his own drinks, he'll need more than $5 for food and drinks!

I didn't even get any food from the canteen but i'm sure it's not cheap.

I think if you give $5, your son will have no savings, just spend all on food.
    Not all secondary schools are the same. If your child goes to an elite or "atas" school, then he will need more pocket money. If not, he may have difficulty fitting in and may even develop some emotional and self-esteem problems.
    Try to help your child blend in with the peers and not stand out too much. Young teens can be very cruel to their peers!
    Go to the new secondary school and look at the environment and maybe talk to some students to get an idea about how much pocket money is enough, and if budget permits, add a bit more.
    Emotional health of young teens is just as important as physical health.

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalk
    Not all secondary schools are the same. If your child goes to an elite or "atas" school, then he will need more pocket money. If not, he may have difficulty fitting in and may even develop some emotional and self-esteem problems.
    Try to help your child blend in with the peers and not stand out too much. Young teens can be very cruel to their peers!
    Go to the new secondary school and look at the environment and maybe talk to some students to get an idea about how much pocket money is enough, and if budget permits, add a bit more.
    Emotional health of young teens is just as important as physical health.
    What's the different between atas and normal sch? must give more $$ to have less stress meh...what are we teaching our kids nowadays, that it takes $$ to be able to fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by RCR
    What's the different between atas and normal sch? must give more $$ to have less stress meh...what are we teaching our kids nowadays, that it takes $$ to be able to fit in?
    Tell us the truth.
    Do you ever have teenage children?

Give based on per week or per month less troublesome for parents and can gauge whether the kid is spender or saver type to adjust from there

$50/week is very comfortable for lower sec sch; can start from $30/week then adjust upwards when activities start & they have to stay in sch for longer hrs or weekends... Shld tell them their outings with friends will also be funded from the limited pocket $$; so they shouldn't spend unnecessarily or it means no savings and/or no outings

Even if the atas school student are given more pocket money than non atas school student, I don't think there is much to spend in school.

Atas school students will have things that are expensive eg the latest mobile phone, IT gadget, designer sports shoes, designer bag, chauferred in luxury cars etc.

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    Give based on per week or per month less troublesome for parents and can gauge whether the kid is spender or saver type to adjust from there

$50/week is very comfortable for lower sec sch; can start from $30/week then adjust upwards when activities start & they have to stay in sch for longer hrs or weekends... Shld tell them their outings with friends will also be funded from the limited pocket $$; so they shouldn't spend unnecessarily or it means no savings and/or no outings
    Make sure the child is responsible enough not to lose his wallet if you give him a lump sum.

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis

Yap...that what I think of..start from 5/day n gradually increase if necessary. .

I gave my son $5 per day initially in sec1. His sch is Victoria. After 6mth he complaint not enuf. He said the sch food shrank in size n portions. And he was growing fast so need to buy 2 servings.

So i increased to $8 dollars a day with and without CCA. btw his cca is 3 times a week. his transport fares not included.

He told me some of his classmates parents give $20 a day but most are $7-$10 range.

But i know nowadays kids like to eat in Mac, Subway, Ken, Pizza, etc. and one meal cos alot more.

Inflation...

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalk
    Tell us the truth.
    Do you ever have teenage children?
    Your nick tells all!

Your nick tells all!
    Only one way of defining "moneytalk."

I thought this forum talks about things concerning money.

Teenage kids drink coffee at Something bean while parents drink kopi in hawker centre. It is shocked to know that secondary kids are getting $20/day.

My parents used to give me $5 a day in my sec days. (1980s)
    i felt richer than most of my peers and use the extra money to buy marlboro.
    $1.3 per pack for 10 sticks.

I sld insist on receipts from my son then...

Quote Originally Posted by naan1974
    My parents used to give me $5 a day in my sec days. (1980s)
    i felt richer than most of my peers and use the extra money to buy marlboro.
    $1.3 per pack for 10 sticks.

Parents already old and married. Else how the male teenagers to get the honey? No money, no car, no Honey...

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Teenage kids drink coffee at Something bean while parents drink kopi in hawker centre. It is shocked to know that secondary kids are getting $20/day.

I will give @$20 a day, to train them up on saving and manage their own money.

What not sepnt is theirs...what spent is gone for good...they need to learn from young, and with savings, what can they do? shopping or investing? is the next lesson

Will ask for $30 next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laguna

What not sepnt is theirs...what spent is gone for good...they need to learn from young, and with savings, what can they do? shopping or investing? is the next lesson

Will ask for $30 next time.
    No problem
    then I will need the expediture statement and doing cash count lor

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna

How can a poor family afford to give S$20 allowance to a child if they merely earn a peanut? Dun even dare to think if he/she has more than 1 child !

To me, $20 a day is way to much although I can afford it . My thought is 5~7 is more reasonable and it should be able to save some of it if he is saver lo .

My teenage boy is getting only $25 for 5-day week including 2 days with CCA excluding bus fare. He can still save some of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by CondoWE
    How can a poor family afford to give S$20 allowance to a child if they merely earn a peanut? Dun even dare to think if he/she has more than 1 child !

To me, $20 a day is way to much although I can afford it . My thought is 5~7 is more reasonable and it should be able to save some of it if he is saver lo .

My teenage boy is getting only $25 for 5-day week including 2 days with CCA excluding bus fare. He can still save some of money.
    Some say must give more for atas school wor, or else may kena depressive disorder. So scary.