Quote Originally Posted by RCR
    Just look at 8 years ago, in 2004:

One million dollar for a 1000sq ft unit at Sails@Marina accepted
    STI at 1800
    COE 25k
    Pinnacle@Duxton most expensive unit priced at 646K

Scary man!
    Indeed!
    Now in 2012, One Million dollar can only buy EC at far-flung places where the birds dont lay their eggs.

But SALARY still the same leh!

Every one out of three buyers you see in showroom are with grey hair and walking sticks
    All the young ones you see are agents - FTs:-):-

Why is this thread important, because long term investment strategy needs assumptions ... your assumptions about Singapore in 2020 will pretty much determine what you will do now.

If we are successful in boosting productivity, 4k starting pay is definitely, possible in 2020, for graduates family, that means 8k combined starting family income ... 800k BTO near MRT would be possible

Even Australia is planning:

Why Australia must embrace Asia
    If Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has her way, in future every child in the country will leave school having learnt an Asian language.
    Ride at your own risk !!!

ERP at ECP is up again to $5.
    So, in 2020, we just pay more and more.......

and don't underestimate the power of compounding

assume 6% inflation rate per year (actual inflation is much higher than reported), rules of 72 says 72 / 6 = 12y for price to double, if you start counting from last recession i.e. 2008, by 2020 price level will double

that is assuming no recession in between of course

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Cheapest smallest mm rental 3.5k pm
    \
    how small?

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    The worst part is you pay and still get stuck in a jam. That's why I stay in the west and go against traffic. But every region has its own merits and really depends on what one wants. The fact of the matter is, once you stay around that area, your tendency and that of your kids will be towards that region. Hahaha. My kids all want to stay in the west in the future. Hahaha. I believe 80% will have the same situation w their kids. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    \
    how small?
    10 yrs ago studio is 600sf.
    Now one bedder mm smallest is 258sf.
    Therefore, 10 yrs later it should be around 111sf.

When u say 2020.... I think of Malaysia.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    10 yrs ago studio is 600sf.
    Now one bedder mm smallest is 258sf.
    Therefore, 10 yrs later it should be around 111sf.
    still cannot beat this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-hutches.html

OMG, bro ghost.....is this in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    OMG, bro ghost.....is this in HK?
    now u know why the greatest achievement of PAP is public housing, and why they give additional grant to support the poorest

Better to stay in city or city fringe.

A spike in construction cost has contributed to the MRT Downtown Line bill rising by more than 70 per cent from an original estimate of $12 billion to $20.7 billion.

At the Holland Village Market and Food Centre, the cleaning fees charged stallholders will increase by 156% from $240 to $614 a month.

[phantom] Wow, it is like property psf goes from 240psf to 614psf overnight

Mr Michael Shee, who runs a stall at Holland Village, said, “At the end of the day, it’s the consumer who has to pay the price.”

Another hawker centre facing similar fee hikes is the Commonwealth Crescent Market.

Hawkers at these 2 centres have approached their MP Chan Chun Sing for help.

At Tanglin Halt Market, monthly fees will jump 79% from $268 to $480 and at Maxwell Food Centre, 92% from $260 to $500.

=> cleaner salary goes up, less FT in cleaning industry ... who needs to pay leh??

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    The worst part is you pay and still get stuck in a jam. That's why I stay in the west and go against traffic. But every region has its own merits and really depends on what one wants. The fact of the matter is, once you stay around that area, your tendency and that of your kids will be towards that region. Hahaha. My kids all want to stay in the west in the future. Hahaha. I believe 80% will have the same situation w their kids. Hahaha
    Surely there are more reasons to stay in the west than just to siam the ERP?
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    Indeed!
    Now in 2012, One Million dollar can only buy EC at far-flung places where the birds dont lay their eggs.

But SALARY still the same leh!
    Only ..Only .. the Upper echelon of society (those with power to have a say in thing, decide thing, do thing like ChengHu nang, big businessman (not the small fly wannabe entrepreneurs) and people with $$$ become $$$ and powderful ... only you and me ... remain the same .. No salary increase (in fact shrink some more year by year) .. worst still more competition for job, MRT, competition for personal space including walking space on Orchard rd etc .. Make a projection for next 8 years !!!

You see the society get more fragmented and social income divide get wider ..

Can you change ?? Do you have the power to change ?? Do you want to change ?? Sorri huh not talking politics here ... just ranting only ...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    now u know why the greatest achievement of PAP is public housing, and why they give additional grant to support the poorest

Yes, public housing for Singaporean only in the PAST... right now public housing is no longer public housing any more ..for Singaporean ..for any tom dick and hary PR/short-term citizen wannanbe .. as long as state land sale coffers ring $$$$ .. you compare salary vs rising public housing price $

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Better to stay in city or city fringe.
    Yeah man, city fringe good enough .. with circle line, NE line, NS line, E-W line, Downtown line 1,2,3 what else do you need ?

Singapore will just attract more foreigners to come stay by 2020, I forsee future projects will just be priced higher and higher.
    Like what you guys said 8 years ago, the sails is considered expensive, now it's like the best deal ever.
    Now 8 years later, people now still complain about prices, 8 years later from now, Prices will just get higher.
    Singapore is very stable and the education system is loved by foreigners, many billionaires moved here this year.
    If Australian richest man moved to singapore this year, 8 years later, I can see prices sky high like hong kong properties due to foreigners intake.
    Hong kong properties are at sky high prices, could be more than double than we pay here but never heard any development did not earn profits before.
    Maybe for those who gets a good deal now, don't hesitate, just bite the bullet!

Quote Originally Posted by jacelynchia
    Singapore will just attract more foreigners to come stay by 2020, I forsee future projects will just be priced higher and higher.
    Like what you guys said 8 years ago, the sails is considered expensive, now it's like the best deal ever.
    Now 8 years later, people now still complain about prices, 8 years later from now, Prices will just get higher.
    Singapore is very stable and the education system is loved by foreigners, many billionaires moved here this year.
    If Australian richest man moved to singapore this year, 8 years later, I can see prices sky high like hong kong properties due to foreigners intake.
    Hong kong properties are at sky high prices, could be more than double than we pay here but never heard any development did not earn profits before.
    Maybe for those who gets a good deal now, don't hesitate, just bite the bullet!

jacelyn, you are indeed so bullish! in every single post! and in every single sentence!
    we can literally feel your bullish enthusiasm which is indeed contagious!
    maybe that's why many of us have also gone / are going into the markets!

laguna may be right in planning to offload (some of, i guess) his properties next year while this market sentiment is nearing its peak, before 2014's impending flood.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeline
    jacelyn, you are indeed so bullish! in every single post! and in every single sentence!

laguna may be right in planning to offload (some of, i guess) his properties next year while this market sentiment is nearing its peak, before 2014's impending flood.

Hahahaha, I don't deny That I may be bullish about this, because I am indeed very one sided in the property market as in I have confidence.
    But I speak the truth! I appreciate architecture!

Anyway Let's see if one day Singapore properties will match up to prices in hongkong.
    The fact that if 6 million population like government is planning for, I can see demand more than supply if Population really can go up to 6 million like the government is pushing to.
    If population close to 6 million one day, supply over demand, prices may go up like hong kong.
    Anyway, property bubble issue, singapore government worries the most, they will do everything they can to protect because many Singaporeans are rich because of their housing value but at the same time also buyers must be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeline

Quote Originally Posted by jacelynchia
    Hahahaha, I don't deny That I may be bullish about this, because I am indeed very one sided in the property market as in I have confidence.
    But I speak the truth! I appreciate architecture!

Anyway Let's see if one day Singapore properties will match up to prices in hongkong.
    The fact that if 6 million population like government is planning for, I can see demand more than supply if Population really can go up to 6 million like the government is pushing to.
    If population close to 6 million one day, supply over demand, prices may go up like hong kong.
    Anyway, property bubble issue, singapore government worries the most, they will do everything they can to protect because many Singaporeans are rich because of their housing value but at the same time also buyers must be realistic.
    First, Sg property price will not be at par with HK for many reasons. If Sg prices go up, HK will also up.

Yes, I am offloading some of my properties as I want to restructure my investment portfolio.

can share ur views on which type u will let go 1st; oldest (non-freehold) / lowest rental yield / worst location

we disscussed this issue on & off... I inclined to choose lowest rental yield but my partner thinks oldest (non-feehold) shld sell 1st even though it enjoys 1 of the highest yield

First, Sg property price will not be at par with HK for many reasons. If Sg prices go up, HK will also up.

Yes, I am offloading some of my properties as I want to restructure my investment portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    can share ur views on which type u will let go 1st; oldest (non-freehold) / lowest rental yield / worst location

we disscussed this issue on & off... I inclined to choose lowest rental yield but my partner thinks oldest (non-feehold) shld sell 1st even though it enjoys 1 of the highest yield
    there's too many considerations. most importantly is the cost of ur investment and what would u gain now for selling it.

okay... revised options: oldest non-freehold / lowest yield / worst locations/ highest capital gain?

Quote Originally Posted by price
    there's too many considerations. most importantly is the cost of ur investment and what would u gain now for selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    okay... revised options: oldest non-freehold / lowest yield / worst locations/ highest capital gain?
    aiyo, I don't have so many for sales lah!