Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one to take - 4-room or 3-room + big big roof terrace?

Default Which one to take - 4-room or 3-room + big big roof terrace?

If there is a choice beteween a 4-room unit of 16XX sf and a 3-room unit with a very big roof terrace of 26XX sf in total, the latter priced slightly higher, assuming everyting else (location etc) is comparable and not much difference, which one would you take for own stay?

I personally like the big roof terrace, but then will have to sacrifice the space of one room.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lee
    If there is a choice beteween a 4-room unit of 16XX sf and a 3-room unit with a very big roof terrace of 26XX sf in total, the latter priced slightly higher, assuming everyting else (location etc) is comparable and not much difference, which one would you take for own stay?

I personally like the big roof terrace, but then will have to sacrifice the space of one room.
    I was viewing FV with a similar layout. The agent told me because the top floor is empty, it will radiate heat to the ceiling. So you have to chech the facing of the place as well if there are taller building to shade you. Of couse then the argument is the heat trap from the taller building is a factor.

location is one part. Prices and potential is another.

have fun pulling the trigger. There is no right or wrong decision.

Thanks.

There is no taller building to shade it. There is one slightly taller but opposite the road, so no shading effect.

The terrace is really hot during the day and unusable at all during the day... But at nite, it is great to relax... If u can put a shielded trellis, it's the best... But will need fan, because the air can be quite still at times... It can be used to unwind or entertain guest...

It really depends on your profile... If u love terraces, u will like the roof terrace... Just like some like high floor and some like ground units... Preferrences..

I can share w u because I live in one and I enjoy the terrace and spent more than 20k doing it up with nice lightings as well. To give it mood....

It u live it bear, boy, it looks ugly!!!!

Cheers

Read again, the terrace damn big boy... About 900 sq ft... Mine about 400 sq ft.

used to own a top storey, high ceiling (4.2m) condo. very very hot in the afternoon. after that, me and wife decided no more top floor for us.

terrace - nice to have but if you are not a very outdoor person, i think in sgp only year end the night breeze is cool enuff to sit outside to enjoy. i will definitely go for indoor space - 4BR

me prefer 4 bed rm..

because i don't see much need for that terrace
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by samuelk
    I was viewing FV with a similar layout. The agent told me because the top floor is empty, it will radiate heat to the ceiling. So you have to chech the facing of the place as well if there are taller building to shade you. Of couse then the argument is the heat trap from the taller building is a factor.

Above my master bedroom is the roof terrace.
    It is really hot in the roof terrace during the day so I use it to sun mattress, pillows, cushions etc.
    But my room below is not affected.
    I don't feel that it is hotter than any part of the house.
    At night, the roof terrace really cools down fast, the walls and the floor do not retain any heat.

Sis Mary, I prefer more usable space, and I dislike huge roof terraces as I consider them waste of space. I don't like gardening.
    So it really depends on your lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    It u live it bear, boy, it looks ugly!!!!
    Bear? LOL!
    Mine is bare, only poles to hang laundry.
    Yup, it is really ugly.
    Next time when I shift to new place, I intend to put royal grass there.
    But it is so expensive.
    Bro, you know of cheaper options for false carpet grass?
    Last edited by buttercarp; 22-11-12 at 07:56.

hi mary i went thru the same thing as you there are SO SO SO many choices out there...it s VERY difficult to make a choice so most people end up thinking and thinking then the unit sold and u will never buy....at least thats what happened to me....

Anyway as for ur question WE can only give suggestions but ultimately you will have to decide with the people who are going to live with you what kind of property best suits you all....

As for me and my family there is NO OTHER choice EXCEPT GND unit with BIG PES...living area small ok we can adjust...but having kids and dogs...i would take a GND unit anyday over a penthouse or high floor seaview unit...

But like i said this is what suits us and ultimately we are going to live in the apt....hope it helps...

BUT seriously PH is nice but you get the wrong facing or wrong type u might regret....plus its NOT exactly cheap....

sorry just another 2 advice if u buying NEW property its hard to make a decision based on floorplan and a scale model...but if its completed property i guess its easier....if not too personal let us know the devt maybe can advice you better...but if you like privacy WE understand we are just a bunch of free people who very willing to advice others about property choices...

Haha, went through exactly the same dilemma before. 4BR unit or duplex 3BR with roof terrace?

Ended up going for the 3BR duplex PH as living in a PH (though a cheap one!) is on my bucket list!

Plus the fact that the Mrs likes to have frequent house parties for friends and relatives so we felt that the roof terrace will be handy and not be wasted.

The RF we had however was manageable (ard 300-400sq feet) so I think it's the right size to make it a cosy outdoor space without having to break the bank!
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

i reckon it boils down to what you actually need eh?!

I will go for the one with very big roof terrace ......

I love gardening so I would make full use of the roof terrace to do some landscapings, build trellis and grow many plants.... I also love fresh air as opposed to aircon. Day time is hot i know, but night time would be very shiok ... the openess and carefree free, enjoying the breeze while looking at the sky something u cant get from staying indoor..

But then if you have a big family, then the additional room space will make more practical sense. Otherwise, so many rooms for what... I would rather have a very big living room or space to host parties for relatives and friends.

I think really depends on the owner.
    If like gardening, or is a sun soaker, get the roof terrace unit.
    Heat can be mitigated by having a raised wooden decking and high planters.
    Can get creative and use frameless glass to hoard up a room there without compromising the building facade.

But if dun like do area cleaning, better dun get roof terrace.

Quote Originally Posted by samuelk

this is very subjective, i stay penthouse dont have such problem at all.

facing such as west sun etc is more the heat concern.

the 4br likely to have v.small common br, also not so practical
    roof terrace, esp this so big, can convert to outdoor living n dining; an alternative on cool mornings & nights

if you dont't own any property, you're short. take cover quickly

Quote Originally Posted by august
    this is very subjective, i stay penthouse dont have such problem at all.

facing such as west sun etc is more the heat concern.
    Yalor, so far I stay in a few top floors already (including one HDB), no problem with the heat.

Presently 2 of my rooms get afternoon sun. But I think the planter box help to dispel the heat. The heat is not retained in the walls. At night the wall is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis
    the 4br likely to have v.small common br, also not so practical
    roof terrace, esp this so big, can convert to outdoor living n dining; an alternative on cool mornings & nights
    make sense too..

i will put a 'shield' on my terrace to block out the hot sun in the day..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Many Thanks for the valuable comments and advices. I am a slow thinker and will need more time to digest them. I will report my decision to all of you in due course.

At the moment, I am just scared the management would say cannot do this and cannot do that on the terrace.

Roof with big open space.

Life is too stressful to look at just 4 walls everyday.

Many Thanks for the valuable comments and advices. I am a slow thinker and will need more time to digest them. I will report my decision to all of you in due course.

At the moment, I am just scared the management would say cannot do this and cannot do that on the terrace.
    Trellis with transparent polycarbonate roof sure can!
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro
    I will go for the one with very big roof terrace ......

I love gardening so I would make full use of the roof terrace to do some landscapings, build trellis and grow many plants.... I also love fresh air as opposed to aircon. Day time is hot i know, but night time would be very shiok ... the openess and carefree free, enjoying the breeze while looking at the sky something u cant get from staying indoor..

But then if you have a big family, then the additional room space will make more practical sense. Otherwise, so many rooms for what... I would rather have a very big living room or space to host parties for relatives and friends.
    gardening gnd floor bestest.......but i agree top floor gives u that top of the world feeling but if ur facing blks and blks of flats then better stay gnd floor...

I am not a good gardener, but would like to learn aquaculture. Is it possible to move bro radha's fish pond to a roof terrace?

I am not a good gardener, but would like to learn aquaculture. Is it possible to move bro radha's fish pond to a roof terrace?
    your fish will die of heat or not?

That was also my concern. Thanks for your confirmation. Is there any solution?

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    your fish will die of heat or not?
    Plant trees around the pond to absorb the heat.
    I don't think the fish will be affected.
    Only thing is whether the roof terrace can take the weight of the pond.

Thanks buttercarp.

Maybe can just use a big fish tank.

Is there a big difference between the heat on the ground floor and roof terrace?

I cant help noticing Mary's style of writing is very similar to yowetan's....
    树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。
    树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

Is it? Next time will pay more attention to Yowetan's posts.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    gardening gnd floor bestest.......but i agree top floor gives u that top of the world feeling but if ur facing blks and blks of flats then better stay gnd floor...
    Radha bro, I actually love ground floor too, almost committed to one firesale at One Amber just before TOP becos agent said that an old couple was not able to secure loan for the remaining payments ... But my concern is the litterings from the higher floors. Back in yr Simei condo, did u often spot tissues papers, q-tip or even tampons on your PES?

That was also my concern. Thanks for your confirmation. Is there any solution?
    keep stingray...then at least u can have BBQ stingray for SUPPER....wahahahaha.....sorry just in that mood