Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101520253035 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 Loft, 80 units, Geylang

thats true. the open balcony can be a waste of space but the price for the penthouse and other closed units are similar and because i can get to own a 'penthouse' with that price, i decided to buy a unit from 1loft. the double storey concept attracted me as well...although small living space, the 2 storey makes the unit looks somehow 'bigger'.

the only thing i dont like is the exterior look of the project.

the agent told me the swimming pool is 25m long.

i borught the unit facing city (west sun).

Quote Originally Posted by rontan_83
    We can only afford to buy the smallest unit..
    Wise choice. Support.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

Quote Originally Posted by babyt
    thats true. the open balcony can be a waste of space but the price for the penthouse and other closed units are similar and because i can get to own a 'penthouse' with that price, i decided to buy a unit from 1loft. the double storey concept attracted me as well...although small living space, the 2 storey makes the unit looks somehow 'bigger'.

the only thing i dont like is the exterior look of the project.

the agent told me the swimming pool is 25m long.

i borught the unit facing city (west sun).
    How much is a 1bdr PH and a 1bdr?

you may want to check w the agent.

i remb the price between penthouse n closed units are similar or the difference isnt that wide.

Is there a project called Residences One there?
    Can't seem to find any info on it.

#1 loft, edenz loft, octet and residences one will be built along lorong 24.

Quote Originally Posted by triple70
    Is there a project called Residences One there?
    Can't seem to find any info on it.
    use http://www.onemap.sg/index.html

when i brought 1loft in early feb, octet isnt launched yet but already shown on the govt map. i guess its a manner of time, residences one will launch or maybe will launch as another name?

Grandview Suites showflat at main junction in progress.

you may want to check w the agent.

i remb the price between penthouse n closed units are similar or the difference isnt that wide.
    If the difference is less than 100k, i would think PH is a better deal.

Smile

Baby T is right. Singaporeans should progressively move into Geylang and chase the vice out of this prime area in an Occupy Geylang exercise. A friend said that he laughs when reaches home in 15 mins from the CBD whilst his colleagues take 1hr to go home.

Quote Originally Posted by SQ008
    Baby T is right. Singaporeans should progressively move into Geylang and chase the vice out of this prime area in an Occupy Geylang exercise. A friend said that he laughs when reaches home in 15 mins from the CBD whilst his colleagues take 1hr to go home.
    Developers must co-operate also, try to enbloc as many as possible, and Singaporeans join in to buy the apartments, leave the vice no place to stand.. One more thing, increase the hotel rates also.

Occupy geylang.

Sounds nice.

Hands up who vested here?

Babyt
    Irisng
    Mcm
    Yikky
    Rontan83

Hi.. I am buying for own stay... The bedroom on the upper storey would be rented out..

Hi to all.

I understand your concern of the vice problems here @ Lorong 24. For me, I've living at Jalan Suka, which is also in Lorong 24.

For the vice problems to be properly dealth with, actions need to be taken by the authorities as they need to be pressured to take action.

Whether you're buying the property for self-stay or investment, I believe you'd want the place to be more dignified, secure and safe and as long as vice activities continue to strive, which is the case now, we need to band together to appeal and pressure the authorities.

The improvement isn't going to be an overnight thing, it'll take time, starting from now and pressure needs to be heap on SPF and URA.

I've started a FB page, Save Jalan Suka - Lorong 24 and I'd welcome and appreciate your support in restoring this area into an orderly and safer one and I'd periodically update the page.

Let's work together and help to propagate this so that in time, the authorities can no longer ignore us and finally do the right thing, that is to turn this 'circus' into a real home.

I will chase the hookers every night by squirting ink water from my loft 1 balcony.

One month before general election, let's meet up with MP to highlight our concern

One month before general election, let's meet up with MP to highlight our concern
    From experience and given it's such a deep seated problem, we have to start pressuring them NOW ...

For your information, I've been writing to PM, DPM Teo, SPF and URA and they're still dragging their feet. Nevertheless, we'll continue to pursue this via the FB page, emails and such and we'd welcome help and support from all quarters.

In short, we have to PUSH - Persevere Until Something Happens!

Hi ADam,

U already stated that u have complained to PM.. As of today, no action being taken..wait long long bah if you want the prostitution activities to stop... I think the best Way is to engage a contractor to build the fencing and gate.. The cost shall be shared among all the residents there..

If the above not feasible, request SPF to mobilise policeman to patrol lorong 24 on regular basis..

Hi ADam,

U already stated that u have complained to PM.. As of today, no action being taken..wait long long bah if you want the prostitution activities to stop... I think the best Way is to engage a contractor to build the fencing and gate.. The cost shall be shared among all the residents there..

If the above not feasible, request SPF to mobilise policeman to patrol lorong 24 on regular basis..
    Hi Ron, now I think I know who you are.

I don't think you have the complete picture; it's not as simple as you think; best it's to talk it out. I'll get back to you; as for the rest of us here who have similar concerns, let's hear it. Maybe we can come together and work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    Hi Ron, now I think I know who you are.

I don't think you have the complete picture; it's not as simple as you think; best it's to talk it out. I'll get back to you; as for the rest of us here who have similar concerns, let's hear it. Maybe we can come together and work something out.
    As what you say, it is not so simple. First of all, our govt need to think of a place to relocate "them". The problem is nobody will like to have vice around their living areas unless it is a shopping centres (without much or no residential areas at all) or relocate them to an island. Think of it, Orchard Road seems to be a good place, hor? And it is also a tourist attractions. Secondly, unless S'pore do away with the vice but I think this is impossible as somebody has mentioned that vice can help to reduce raping cases, how far is it true, not very sure leh.

Adam,

If my proposal not acceptable .. Do u have any suggestion? I really wana kick the illegal activities out from lorong 24..

Adam,

If my proposal not acceptable .. Do u have any suggestion? I really wana kick the illegal activities out from lorong 24..
    Ron, I'm not in the position to say whether it's acceptable but given the years that I've been living here, since the day I'm born, (almost 40 years now), knowing the neighbourhood, seeing how it has been neglected by the authorities, overun by vice operators, then pleading and now pressuring the authorities, MPs, ministers and writing in to the press for years, I have learnt that we need to know which battles to fight and the importance of pressing on, even though the journey seems lonely, discouraging and even frightening.

As said, let's find more like-minded people before we talk.

Ron, I'm not in the position to say whether it's acceptable but given the years that I've been living here, since the day I'm born, (almost 40 years now), knowing the neighbourhood, seeing how it has been neglected by the authorities, overun by vice operators, then pleading and now pressuring the authorities, MPs, ministers and writing in to the press for years, I have learnt that we need to know which battles to fight and the importance of pressing on, even though the journey seems lonely, discouraging and even frightening.

As said, let's find more like-minded people before we talk.
    Could you the contact details/emails of who to write to so that a concerted effort can be made to write to the relevant authorities ?

Quote Originally Posted by SQ008
    Could you the contact details/emails of who to write to so that a concerted effort can be made to write to the relevant authorities ?
    I write emails to SPF, URA, DPM Teo and PM Lee. I also post my YouTube links at their FB pages. As for PM Lee and DPM Teo, given their security settings, I can't post on them directly; I usually insert them in their recent posts where they showed 'happy pictures' with residents and dignitaries; yes I know it's irritating but to get their attention and to impress upon them that the residents here experience more than 'mere irritation'.

We are languishing here.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    As what you say, it is not so simple. First of all, our govt need to think of a place to relocate "them". The problem is nobody will like to have vice around their living areas unless it is a shopping centres (without much or no residential areas at all) or relocate them to an island. Think of it, Orchard Road seems to be a good place, hor? And it is also a tourist attractions. Secondly, unless S'pore do away with the vice but I think this is impossible as somebody has mentioned that vice can help to reduce raping cases, how far is it true, not very sure leh.

the govt has turn keong siak road to a very modern clean conservation houses with good reastuarants and offices and even thinking to open up club street to be next lam kwai fong.

I am sure over at geylang it could also turn to be some silicon valley of sort (yah its a different sillicon and valley currently)...
    look at bugis it was an infamous street they even made a movie on it.

its just whether someone has the vision to mould it and perhaps see the "gold" in the land parcel......

Quote Originally Posted by JAFCO
    the govt has turn keong siak road to a very modern clean conservation houses with good reastuarants and offices and even thinking to open up club street to be next lam kwai fong.

I am sure over at geylang it could also turn to be some silicon valley of sort (yah its a different sillicon and valley currently)...

its just whether someone has the vision to mould it and perhaps see the "gold" in the land parcel......
    I really wish what you say will come true but as of now, given what I've seen over the last 3 decade, this place only gets more and more complicated. With Singapore continuing to import foreign workers to meet the needs of jobs that are shunned by locals, then where are we going to locate them? Where will this group of people head to? It's Geylang for now. After all it's low-density living as compared to the HDB estates and surely the corresponding volume of complaints coming from the latter will be more than Geylang if they start to invade the heartland estates.
    As said, we will continue to push for a safer home and I'll be more than happy to report any improvement.
    But as a resident here for many years, witnessing it's decadence first hand, I can't agree with your projection.
    We can all agree that Geylang can't be changed into a 'safe haven' overnight but for that to happen, they must be clear signs of improvement, at least. As of now, we don't see that, in fact the situation is worsening.
    I know some property agents will hate me for saying this but it's important to 'call a spade, a spade'.

silicone and valley! wahahaha good one,

i do wish to share my observations that Geylang is one location where the proliferation of MM housing has in fact helped towards social cause.

some lorongs, namely 28, 30, has seen so many such small condos propping up that chickens has more or less been driven out of their coops which has been replaced by pricey condos. these units rent at no less than 2,500 a month, with just one bedrm, barely enough to house 2 chickens for business at any one time. there are also sizeable numbers of expats (ang mo) who absolutely love the vibrance (vibrations?) of Geyland. and im not referring to just the males. so increased and hastening redevelopment of the area is indeed a good sign.

it is also good to note that Gayland is under conservation area hence no limit on the number if MM projects that can sprout up.

i look forward to the day Gayland becomes MMful and no breast meat please.

Maybe u barking at the wrong tree....

Making S'pore the world's safest place
    By Francis Chan
    The Straits Times*|*Tue, Mar 26, 2013
    Singapore's crime rate fell last year to its lowest in almost 30 years, but Commissioner of Police Ng Joo Hee believes it can be better.

"It doesn't matter if the population hits 6.9 million, we can go lower because a lot of the crime here is preventable," he said.

That explains a renewed focus on crime prevention since he became police chief three years ago and set out to work towards making Singapore "the safest place in the world".

The most significant move is the Community Policing System (Cops) introduced last year, which has officers getting out of their patrol cars and Neighbourhood Police Posts to pound the beat on foot or on bicycles, getting to know people who live and work in the area.

It is a big change because Mr Ng does not want people to interact with police officers only when crimes happen. He wants the police officer to be a familiar face in the neighbourhood, someone the public can count on.

The Cops strategy was first introduced at Neighbourhood Police Centres (NPCs) in Bukit Merah East and Tampines last May.

Six more - in Clementi, Bishan, Punggol, Sengkang, Woodlands East and Woodlands West - have adopted it since January and more NPCs will follow. These include centres in Ang Mo Kio South, Bedok North, Jurong East, Jurong West, Nanyang and Rochor in June, and another six by the end of this year.

In his first interview since taking over as commissioner from Mr Khoo Boon Hui in February 2010, Mr Ng told The Sunday Times: "I took over a very successful and enviable police force. But I thought, let's clarify our mission and see how we can do better."

The mission of the force remains simple: to prevent, deter and detect crime. But he felt some policing strategies needed to change.

For example, most police resources are dedicated to responding to crime.

"Our policemen are sitting in police cars and they're waiting to be dispatched to a 999 call," said Mr Ng. "We invested greatly in this and have performance standards on these things, but... the smart thing to do is to prevent the crime in the first place."

Prevention and deterrence, however, are far harder than solving crime. For one thing, crime prevention requires officers to be more deeply embedded in a neighbourhood.

"We wanted to move away from where most of our interactions with the public are when something bad has happened to them," said Mr Ng. "Now we have the police officer walking a beat until he becomes a familiar face and a member of that community where he's trusted."

One part of the Cops model has officers on policing duties walk the beat in shorts and casual polo T-shirts, sometimes zipping around on mountain bikes.

Another component involves having teams of plain-clothes officers from the NPCs conducting ambushes and other anti-crime operations in housing estates.

Similar plain-clothes units already operate out of the six police land divisions but the teams under the 35 NPCs will work closer to the ground.

Mr Ng said Cops was a result of more than two years of tests.

"We experimented with it, first in Woodlands and other places and there was some impact on local crime," he said. "So, we decided that we should roll it out, and generally the feedback so far is people really like it, they like to talk to the policemen without being victims of crime."

More than half the NPC network is on course to adopt the Cops model by the end of the year, and all will have it by the end of 2015.

What will also help in the commissioner's drive to make Singapore the safest place on earth is a network of police cameras that will cover all Housing Board estates by 2016.

While the cameras are deployed mainly to deter and solve crime, including cases of loan shark harassment, the police are prepared to share the footage with other agencies such as the Land Transport Authority and National Environment Agency to combat illegal parking and high-rise littering.

"We're wiring up every HDB block in Singapore, all 10,000 blocks and every block will have about eight cameras," he said.

"We're talking about close to a 100,000 cameras. This is a massive, massive police infrastructure." But will there be a day when there is no crime in Singapore?

"As long as there's more than one human being, there will be crime. It's part of the human condition," said Mr Ng. "But how low can we go? No one can answer this. I think we can go a lot lower."

[email protected]

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Maybe u barking at the wrong tree....

Making S'pore the world's safest place
    By Francis Chan
    The Straits Times*|*Tue, Mar 26, 2013
    Singapore's crime rate fell last year to its lowest in almost 30 years, but Commissioner of Police Ng Joo Hee believes it can be better.

"It doesn't matter if the population hits 6.9 million, we can go lower because a lot of the crime here is preventable," he said.

That explains a renewed focus on crime prevention since he became police chief three years ago and set out to work towards making Singapore "the safest place in the world".

The most significant move is the Community Policing System (Cops) introduced last year, which has officers getting out of their patrol cars and Neighbourhood Police Posts to pound the beat on foot or on bicycles, getting to know people who live and work in the area.

It is a big change because Mr Ng does not want people to interact with police officers only when crimes happen. He wants the police officer to be a familiar face in the neighbourhood, someone the public can count on.

The Cops strategy was first introduced at Neighbourhood Police Centres (NPCs) in Bukit Merah East and Tampines last May.

Six more - in Clementi, Bishan, Punggol, Sengkang, Woodlands East and Woodlands West - have adopted it since January and more NPCs will follow. These include centres in Ang Mo Kio South, Bedok North, Jurong East, Jurong West, Nanyang and Rochor in June, and another six by the end of this year.

In his first interview since taking over as commissioner from Mr Khoo Boon Hui in February 2010, Mr Ng told The Sunday Times: "I took over a very successful and enviable police force. But I thought, let's clarify our mission and see how we can do better."

The mission of the force remains simple: to prevent, deter and detect crime. But he felt some policing strategies needed to change.

For example, most police resources are dedicated to responding to crime.

"Our policemen are sitting in police cars and they're waiting to be dispatched to a 999 call," said Mr Ng. "We invested greatly in this and have performance standards on these things, but... the smart thing to do is to prevent the crime in the first place."

Prevention and deterrence, however, are far harder than solving crime. For one thing, crime prevention requires officers to be more deeply embedded in a neighbourhood.

"We wanted to move away from where most of our interactions with the public are when something bad has happened to them," said Mr Ng. "Now we have the police officer walking a beat until he becomes a familiar face and a member of that community where he's trusted."

One part of the Cops model has officers on policing duties walk the beat in shorts and casual polo T-shirts, sometimes zipping around on mountain bikes.

Another component involves having teams of plain-clothes officers from the NPCs conducting ambushes and other anti-crime operations in housing estates.

Similar plain-clothes units already operate out of the six police land divisions but the teams under the 35 NPCs will work closer to the ground.

Mr Ng said Cops was a result of more than two years of tests.

"We experimented with it, first in Woodlands and other places and there was some impact on local crime," he said. "So, we decided that we should roll it out, and generally the feedback so far is people really like it, they like to talk to the policemen without being victims of crime."

More than half the NPC network is on course to adopt the Cops model by the end of the year, and all will have it by the end of 2015.

What will also help in the commissioner's drive to make Singapore the safest place on earth is a network of police cameras that will cover all Housing Board estates by 2016.

While the cameras are deployed mainly to deter and solve crime, including cases of loan shark harassment, the police are prepared to share the footage with other agencies such as the Land Transport Authority and National Environment Agency to combat illegal parking and high-rise littering.

"We're wiring up every HDB block in Singapore, all 10,000 blocks and every block will have about eight cameras," he said.

"We're talking about close to a 100,000 cameras. This is a massive, massive police infrastructure." But will there be a day when there is no crime in Singapore?

"As long as there's more than one human being, there will be crime. It's part of the human condition," said Mr Ng. "But how low can we go? No one can answer this. I think we can go a lot lower."

[email protected]

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.
    Your point?

If it's about the installation of CCTV, I can tell what's the point of having them when the monitoring is lacking?

I'm saying this because I can say with confidence that you will find one gambling den, at least being set up in front of the CCTV every weekend! On it's been going on for months at least!

Why are they back every weekend? Why aren't they using the so-called CCTV footage to investigate and make arrests? Brothel and gambling operators seem to continue with what they are doing with a peace of mind.

In short, my take is the authorities are not doing enough or should I say much!

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see this place getting more liveable but there are no signs to tell us so; as for what we read in the press, discerning readers should know that nowadays, we should read with a pinch of salt, and in this case, a large pinch.
    Help to propagate this! Everyone deserves a safer home!
    https://www.facebook.com/SaveJalanSuka

Your point?

If it's about the installation of CCTV, I can tell what's the point of having them when the monitoring is lacking?

I'm saying this because I can say with confidence that you will find one gambling den, at least being set up in front of the CCTV every weekend! On it's been going on for months at least!

Why are they back every weekend? Why aren't they using the so-called CCTV footage to investigate and make arrests? Brothel and gambling operators seem to continue with what they are doing with a peace of mind.

In short, my take is the authorities are not doing enough or should I say much!

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see this place getting more liveable but there are no signs to tell us so; as for what we read in the press, discerning readers should know that nowadays, we should read with a pinch of salt, and in this case, a large pinch.

My pt is the person to solve this is mr ng. He give licence to the prostituion den. The statistic of crime judging by reprted daily news is in geylang. So how is it that geylang is what it is today....when it used to be a quaint neighbourhood between a thrivng paya lebar and entertianment hub of gayworld.