Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cm7 - sell hdb for condo?

Default cm7 - sell hdb for condo?

Good time to sell HDB and move to a condo in view of latest cm7? Or still hold HDB tight tight?

Hold HDB, only Singaporean can rent out their HDB.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    Hold HDB, only Singaporean can rent out their HDB.
    If he has only one property, how to rent out hdb??

if he is looking for upgrade in lifestyle, yest, good time to sell hdb and move on to condo (so tat can get the absd refunded).

Maybe it is time to consider selling HDB, in particular an old HDB flat.
    Those restrictions starting from July will make selling an old HDB an issue.

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikeu
    Good time to sell HDB and move to a condo in view of latest cm7? Or still hold HDB tight tight?
    If u sell hdb and condo price don't cm down ... How?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikeu

Keep HDB coz only singaproean own and 1st home

Sell BAckside.. coz only 1 per person also.

then buy private condo.... and rest the back.!

this may be the beginning of cm on hdb. Long term, hdb will be less and less an investment vehicle ie. cannot rent out all ...we see ...soon

Always said, Singaporeans be careful what you wished for...

+80% own HDB... If crash, all on this small island also die together...

Sigh!

Yesterday strait times forum page someone wrote to request cooling measure to be permenant. How come no one wrote to strait times to request cm to be remove?? It is more often those complainers wrote in.

maybe all hdb owners should go to MPS and raise an issue with MP..

Quote Originally Posted by star
    Yesterday strait times forum page someone wrote to request cooling measure to be permenant. How come no one wrote to strait times to request cm to be remove?? It is more often those complainers wrote in.
    Capitalism rewards the rich. On the other hand, a good society must help the poor or at least appear to be helping the poor. This is where we are.

The community which has neither poverty nor riches will always have the noblest principles.

Plato

Quote Originally Posted by TKT

Sigh!

Think deeper!

Yes! 80% own HDB flats. Perhaps, 70% own their only flat. If crash, only 30% not happy; the remaining 70% are not affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds
    Think deeper!

Yes! 80% own HDB flats. Perhaps, 70% own their only flat. If crash, only 30% not happy; the remaining 70% are not affected.
    Cannot say own ... It is just a special type of rental flat.. That mean if you rent the flat for 30 years, it will be yours...

Think deeper!

are you saying 30% has private property as well? so if 30% of 80%, it translates to 24% has private which will make the total sum to be 104%. which means all private property owners has a hdb? or did you mean somethingelse?

For those with 2 or more properties, the immediate task is to build another down payment for the next property..

If the crash come, the down payment can help to tide other properties. If the drop is not deep, maybe can buy next property..

So hold your horse and wait.... Either way you WIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TKT

Sigh!

this is one of the most commonly repeated but stupid statement I have seen in this forum....

"80% own hdb so 80% will want HDB prices to rise"....

duh....

You know out of this 80% how many of them want to UPGRADE their property vs DOWNGRADE their property????

If you want to upgrade like most normal people, even if you own HDB you will want property prices to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    this is one of the most commonly repeated but stupid statement I have seen in this forum....

duh....

You know out of this 80% how many of them want to UPGRADE their property vs DOWNGRADE their property????

If you want to upgrade like most normal people, even if you own HDB you will want property prices to fall.
    how many ah? care to share?

I only know most people who want property to fall only for a short period of time (like a few months); but once they get their properties, they will wish it to cheong (99.5% of their lives)

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies

I only know most people who want property to fall only for a short period of time (like a few months); but once they get their properties, they will wish it to cheong (99.5% of their lives)
    Well said. We have been waiting for complainers to buy for too long. Time to cheong up.

duh....

Totally agreed with u! Many of the people I know want property prices to fall so they can upgrade since HDB price will not fall as much as private condo! common sense!

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Are you advocating a communist country regime? Only then everybody will be the same, no rich and no poor, got knowledge doesn't matter because will still be sent to do hard labor and blue collar job, everybody laze around waiting for the people next door to do all the work? What for work so hard and get the same as next door?

Capitalism rewards the rich. On the other hand, a good society must help the poor or at least appear to be helping the poor. This is where we are.

The community which has neither poverty nor riches will always have the noblest principles.

Plato

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Very funny. Upgraders want property prices to crash before they upgrade?

Let's recollect the fact:
    (1) Think back, during 2000-2005, very few upgraders (OCR private almost like dead town), because HDB prices almost never move after crashing >25% in tandem with private property prices. Bishan HDB selling about $550k in 1997 dropped to about $400k in 2003.

(2) Then come 2006-2012, private property prices move up, HDB prices move up even more, wah! So many hdb upgraders to private (look at huge volume of OCR private transactions!)!

So, as we can see, the most recent facts does not support your arguments.

duh....

whatever it is, saying like all 80% of HDB owners want property price to go up is just plain stupid.

Let me do some good and educate you.

http://www.propwise.sg/ask-mr-propwi...-in-singapore/

According the the above website there is like 840k HDB and around 260k private property. Not counting multiple private property owners, I can tell you more than 2/3 of HDB owners DO NOT own a private property. you think these people want property price to go up or down???

If they are not thinking of upgrading and intend to stay in their HDB forever, you think they care about property price going up or down? If they want to buy a better place, you think they want property price to do up??

alamak common sense right....

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Very funny. Upgraders want property prices to crash before they upgrade?

Let's recollect the fact:
    (1) Think back, during 2000-2005, very few upgraders (OCR private almost like dead town), because HDB prices almost never move after crashing >25% in tandem with private property prices. Bishan HDB selling about $550k in 1997 dropped to about $400k in 2003.

(2) Then come 2006-2012, private property prices move up, HDB prices move up even more, wah! So many hdb upgraders to private (look at huge volume of OCR private transactions!)!

So, as we can see, the most recent facts does not support your arguments.
    duh.... sigh....

people did not upgrade in 2000-2005 is not because they are not happy that the price is falling, it is because they think the property market will fall even more. During 2006-2012, people upgrade is not because they like the high property price, it is because they think the price will be higher. Given a choice, every upgrader will want to buy at low property price.

common, ask any upgrader, you want property price high or low?? this kind of thing also can argue...

Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Are you advocating a communist country regime? Only then everybody will be the same, no rich and no poor, got knowledge doesn't matter because will still be sent to do hard labor and blue collar job, everybody laze around waiting for the people next door to do all the work? What for work so hard and get the same as next door?
    My apology if my statement and the quote from Plato sounded too profile to some people. It is certainly not the effect I set to create.

My statement simply means that we are operating under a Capitalism system where it generally rewards the rich. To be a great society under a Capitaliem sysyem, the community needs to help the poor or at least appear to helping the poor. This is where our society is right now.

The quote by the great Greek philosopher (Plato) suggests that the noblest principles only exist in society where there is neither proverty nor riches. In another word, society where there is great divide in income disparity, it is difficult to have the noblest principles. We are about to be one or already are.
    Last edited by Leeds; 16-01-13 at 22:16.

To be equal is not good.
    If everyone is equally rich or poor, each one may try other evil ways to be better than others.
    When there are some poor and rich people, practically
    The poor will work hard to reach their desired status,
    While the rich will give more to charity and society.

But because of unpractical way human are living,
    Each country need to have a common and agreed control to set a desired rules.

Quote Originally Posted by GIG
    To be equal is not good.
    If everyone is equally rich or poor, each one may try other evil ways to be better than others.
    When there are some poor and rich people, practically
    The poor will work hard to reach their desired status,
    While the rich will give more to charity and society.

But because of unpractical way human are living,
    Each country need to have a common and agreed control to set a desired rules.
    The income disparity in Singapore is widening and the government is aware that without proper management, there will be social divide or even social unrest like in some other countries. When such society having the 'Nobles' making decisions and policies, it is difficult to achieve fairness or "noblest principles" in Plato's words.

That day I was taking MRT I saw a blind couple making their way through the MRT gantry and up the escalator. The guy was infront with his walking stick leading the lady behind.

I suddenly has a very strong emotion stirring in me and I feel that I'm really very fortunate to be able to see and walk. I realise we should be more appreciative of what we have right now, rather than to complain and jealous of what others have.

That day I was taking MRT I saw a blind couple making their way through the MRT gantry and up the escalator. The guy was infront with his walking stick leading the lady behind.

I suddenly has a very strong emotion stirring in me and I feel that I'm really very fortunate to be able to see and walk. I realise we should be more appreciative of what we have right now, rather than to complain and jealous of what others have.
    Great thoughts to have!

duh.... sigh....

people did not upgrade in 2000-2005 is not because they are not happy that the price is falling, it is because they think the property market will fall even more. During 2006-2012, people upgrade is not because they like the high property price, it is because they think the price will be higher. Given a choice, every upgrader will want to buy at low property price.

common, ask any upgrader, you want property price high or low?? this kind of thing also can argue...
    I tend to agree with you. Buyer (especially upgrader) will want to buy low (thus hope for price to crash) while seller would always want prices to go up.

Why do I say this? For an upgrader within the same locality (eg Kim Tian HDB to Meraprime), he usually has to pay more in times when ppty is high vs when ppty price is low due to the widening gap in adsolute amount EVEN if both ppty increase the same amount in % terms due to the fact HDB has a lower base. And even if HDB increase at a higher %, its usually still not enough to close the gap on the higher base of a PC.

In 2006:
    Kim Tian Resale 5 Rm HDB ~ $500k }
    Meraprime 3 bedder ~ $800k } Spread $300k

In 2013
    Kim Tian Resale 5 Rm HDB ~ $980k (+ 96%, + $480k) }
    Meraprime 3 bedder ~ $1.7m ( +113%, + $900k) } Spread $720k

Thus, when price increase, it usually cost more to upgrade.

Of coz the above example is just 1 isolated case but in general i think it applies to many cases. Where it does not apply, usually its due to the old age of LH Condos > 10 yrs old. Eg, Comparison between Dover Close HDB Flats vs Heritage View Condos over the same period.

And this applies even for multiple ppty owners who are looking to buy. Being a multiple ppty owner, he is already of the opinion ppty makes investment sense and will rise in the long run. Thus it never hurts to buy on price weakness.

I was actually looking to buy a 3rd ppty but due to CM7, I have decided the govt message is clear. Let the 1st timers buy now...dun join the crowd and create more demand. Investors, and to a certain extent, upgraders, you can wait awhile more. Prices will not run away. And even before CM7 when I was holding 2 ppty, I dun mind price correction because I'm looking to buy my 3rd ppty....

Anyway, now's the time to take a back seat as ABSD and lower LTV makes it that bit harder to buy the 3rd ppty.

Quote Originally Posted by gincelee
    Totally agreed with u! Many of the people I know want property prices to fall so they can upgrade since HDB price will not fall as much as private condo! common sense!
    but hor.. once they bot that bigger flat, they wish it will cheong (or maybe they dun care). but i dun tink they want it to drop, becoz they will bang wall coz could have got it cheaper. if it cheong, at least they can tell everyone they making money after getting it cheap.

so conclusion.. other than this short few months (as someone mentioned earlier), during which they want the price to fall, after that they want it up. the rest of the general population either dun care (coz they are more concerned abt daily bread issue).