Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Master Plan 2013

Concrete jungle everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    orchard road is already bursting at the seams, as the population now stands at 5.3mil

i can't imagine when it hits 7mil - everyone cheong orchard road every weekend?!?!
    Let's say additional 24,000 new household per year
    or say 2,000 per mth..

Of every 2,000, 400 choose to buy car per mth... so COE enough boh??
    Due to limited road space, if the quota remain low every year... COE confirm will shoot up lor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk
    or say 2,000 per mth..

Due to limited road space, if the quota remain low every year... COE confirm will shoot up lor!!!
    ppty can buy and hold. COE can or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk
    or say 2,000 per mth..

Not only that, despite COE shoots up, our roads will even be more congested. Then the government will implement new measures for road usage. And trust me, the measures would have to do with $$$ and .

Why do you think COE and ERP still stay when they have lost their intended purpose?

Must plan road use carefully for the 'worst case scenario' of 6.9 million.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels
    Yes, ever saw in Pasir Ris Punggol poster calendar 2012 that shows Tampines Street XX in the Mountain Bike Park. Back then, I knew tampines bike park will be gone. Could not located the poster now.

"With the Land Use Plan out, the Master Plan - the blueprint for Singapore's physical development and which contains details such as approved use and plot ratio for each site in Singapore - is expected to be completed in around a year's time." From Feb02 Business Times. Full article replicated here

Seems like the Master Plan's not likely to be out so soon, as some have predicted.

Here's what the skyscrapercity gurus say.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=89774&page=21

Take a look at posts #418 and #419

Quote Originally Posted by earthling
    Not only that, despite COE shoots up, our roads will even be more congested. Then the government will implement new measures for road usage. And trust me, the measures would have to do with $$$ and .

Why do you think COE and ERP still stay when they have lost their intended purpose?

Must plan road use carefully for the 'worst case scenario' of 6.9 million.
    Don't understand ur logic . Coe are limited. How will Coe go up n road be more crowded? Got ghost? Coe are fix no. No tie to population no.

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    Don't understand ur logic . Coe are limited. How will Coe go up n road be more crowded? Got ghost? Coe are fix no. No tie to population no.
    there is no upper cap limit on COE

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/lta-to-cons...r-of-coes.html

Last time MRT breakdown... Now after improvement become smoke and fire.. I think MRT is getting dangerous...

Quote Originally Posted by RCT
    Last time MRT breakdown... Now after improvement become smoke and fire.. I think MRT is getting dangerous...
    at this rate, SMRT better get SCDF chiefs to run the organization
    and lui tiack kiew said the private ownership model is working

they are not even considering the fact that our roads are over loaded ... and if it continues, it will affect everything, from logistics to building construction and so forth .. business will be impacted if our roads are not optimally efficient and effective ...
    so they should concentrate on reducing the number of COEs instead ... but reconsider the categorization to cater to different business while solving the basic needs like public transport first ... the masses should be the last to be considered as they can use the public transport ...

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157

Quote Originally Posted by ichigo55
    they are not even considering the fact that our roads are over loaded ... and if it continues, it will affect everything, from logistics to building construction and so forth .. business will be impacted if our roads are not optimally efficient and effective ...
    so they should concentrate on reducing the number of COEs instead ... but reconsider the categorization to cater to different business while solving the basic needs like public transport first ... the masses should be the last to be considered as they can use the public transport ...
    well, they have reduced the rate of vehicle growth - i.e. number of COEs still grow, albeit at a smaller rate.

to cut COE numbers may cause prices to rise even further. such a measure should be supplemented with other supporting policies to mitigate undesirable consequences.

furthermore, is LTA willing to forgo a lucrative revenue stream?

Not a very good start for the MRT trains in the Year of the Snake with the fire this morning at Newton Station. Trains resemble the snake.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Not a very good start for the MRT trains in the Year of the Snake with the fire this morning at Newton Station. Trains resemble the snake.
    Bloody scary... Our world class MRT system is trying to turn water snake year to fire snake year.. I think I better take bus ba.. At least a higher chance of escaping... What is happening to Singapore.....

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2013...n-white-paper/

probably some hare-brains wrote the white paper, and hopefully it ain't the same hares that are in this forum

Ok, let me clarify here. Coe has a quota, but lta can adjust this quota (for vehicle growth, e.g. 0.5%, 1%) as it deems fit. So in a way it is unlimited.

Coe prices (which is what I'm referring to here) has no upper limits for it is open for bidding.

Despite the current high coes in all categories, our roads are getting even more congested. This is enough to prove that the Coe system has failed. It has become only a revenue generating mechanism for the government.

What I think is more feasible is to tax drivers on their usage of vehicles rather than the ownership. Scrap that Coe crap, I say!!!

Suppose I can afford a fleet of supercars but I can't drive my Ferrari and Lamborghini at the same time right? How then are my other cars contributing to road congestion if I can only drive ONE car at any ONE time? Why penalise me when I park my Zonda in my garage? Is my Zonda taking up road space?

For that matter, 3 wheeled motorcycles, long buses and lorries should pay more road tax since they are taking up more physical road space.

Sorry for being off-topic, let's go back to the master plan.

....For that matter, 3 wheeled motorcycles, long buses and lorries should pay more road tax since they are taking up more physical road space.
    i am parroting what others have said.
    1) bus can take more people, so even though bus is larger than car, road occupied by each person is smaller.

2) a car area is not only the physical size of the car, but there is also the invisible space.
    for example, your supercar is so expensive, nobody dare to scratch it, so other vehicles give your supercar a wider distance. so effectively your supercar may command a bigger area than a minibus.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    1) bus can take more people, so even though bus is larger than car, road occupied by each person is smaller.

2) a car area is not only the physical size of the car, but there is also the invisible space.
    for example, your supercar is so expensive, nobody dare to scratch it, so other vehicles give your supercar a wider distance. so effectively your supercar may command a bigger area than a minibus.
    A lot of jams r caused by heavy vehicles or vans using middle n left lanes, leaving only right lane for cars.

for example, your supercar is so expensive, nobody dato scratch it, so other vehicles give your supercar a wider distance. so effectively your supercar may command a bigger area than a minibus.

most of us drive in the morning and evening
    that is the peak hours
    and these hours one lane is closed (bus lane) ....

in general most roads at 2-3 lanes ..

i propose we pay only 2/3 road tax or even 1/2 since the time that we use the road ... 1 lane is not available to us ...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

I have always said, which stupid idiot come up with the stupid idea of 1 lane closed exclusively for buses when jam is already bad enough instead of building a separate bus lane because of traffic jam caused by all these buses and heavy vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    most of us drive in the morning and evening
    that is the peak hours
    and these hours one lane is closed (bus lane) ....

in general most roads at 2-3 lanes ..

i propose we pay only 2/3 road tax or even 1/2 since the time that we use the road ... 1 lane is not available to us ...

Your point 1 is valid but not point 2. Public buses can be exempted from paying extra road tax but why bendy buses on our roads? Double deckers are fine.

Everyday during peak hours, my observation is most of the time the bus lane is empty as our buses frequency CMI. (You want reserved bus lane can, at least give us HK bus frequency standard.) Other heavy vehicles like private bus, trucks and vans will have to switch to middle lane and compete with the cars. Matter gets worse when the right lane is a right turn lane, practically leaving only one lane to move forward.

Your point 1 is valid but not point 2. Public buses can be exempted from paying extra road tax but why bendy buses on our roads? Double deckers are fine.

Everyday during peak hours, my observation is most of the time the bus lane is empty as our buses frequency CMI. (You want reserved bus lane can, at least give us HK bus frequency standard.) Other heavy vehicles like private bus, trucks and vans will have to switch to middle lane and compete with the cars. Matter gets worse when the right lane is a right turn lane, practically leaving only one lane to move forward.
    so if bus have special lane, which one faster, bus or car faster to reach destination, if following the same route during peak period?

so if bus have special lane, which one faster, bus or car faster to reach destination, if following the same route during peak period?
    If the bus frequency is low and packed with passengers, taking a bus may not be faster despite special bus lane. We have to improve the bus service, not just drawing more bus lanes. Anyway, I find taking mrt faster than bus.

What I'm saying here is that we should scrap the Coe system and tax road users according to their road usage.

I also hope that our public transport system, i.e. bus, mrt and taxis can be more reliable and efficient so that people are willing to switch to public transport.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    I have always said, which stupid idiot come up with the stupid idea of 1 lane closed exclusively for buses when jam is already bad enough instead of building a separate bus lane because of traffic jam caused by all these buses and heavy vehicles?
    cannot like that say leh..

as a public transport user, i must say the bus lane is good ..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

If the bus frequency is low and packed with passengers, taking a bus may not be faster despite special bus lane. We have to improve the bus service, not just drawing more bus lanes. Anyway, I find taking mrt faster than bus.

What I'm saying here is that we should scrap the Coe system and tax road users according to their road usage.

I also hope that our public transport system, i.e. bus, mrt and taxis can be more reliable and efficient so that people are willing to switch to public transport.
    COE meant to control the no. of cars on the road. Road tax n ERP is road usage adjustment.

Scraping COE wont control the no. of cars on the road. even u do a usage base.

unless ur usage charges are so so so expensive people all dont drive. Then people will complain again!

COE scheme should be changed to be "Pay what you Bid" and not based on lowest successful bid. Because of this, there are many car dealers purposely bid high especially for luxury cars (because of much larger profits) and yet pay the lowest sucessful bid price. Hence, to avoid COE price escalation, COE bidding scheme should be tweaked to "Pay what you Bid".

Ok, let me clarify here. Coe has a quota, but lta can adjust this quota (for vehicle growth, e.g. 0.5%, 1%) as it deems fit. So in a way it is unlimited.

Coe prices (which is what I'm referring to here) has no upper limits for it is open for bidding.

Despite the current high coes in all categories, our roads are getting even more congested. This is enough to prove that the Coe system has failed. It has become only a revenue generating mechanism for the government.

What I think is more feasible is to tax drivers on their usage of vehicles rather than the ownership. Scrap that Coe crap, I say!!!

Suppose I can afford a fleet of supercars but I can't drive my Ferrari and Lamborghini at the same time right? How then are my other cars contributing to road congestion if I can only drive ONE car at any ONE time? Why penalise me when I park my Zonda in my garage? Is my Zonda taking up road space?

For that matter, 3 wheeled motorcycles, long buses and lorries should pay more road tax since they are taking up more physical road space.

Sorry for being off-topic, let's go back to the master plan.

COE scheme should be changed to be "Pay what you Bid" and not based on lowest successful bid. Because of this, there are many car dealers purposely bid high especially for luxury cars (because of much larger profits) and yet pay the lowest sucessful bid price. Hence, to avoid COE price escalation, COE bidding scheme should be tweaked to "Pay what you Bid".
    Yes I think this is one of the reason. dealers. but what would happen if pay wat u bid but dealers increase thier margin? I think should also allow owners to bid themselves and car dealers cannot surcharge coe not bidded through them.

Yes, you are right. Car dealers should be banned from bidding for COEs. Only potential owners are allowed to bid for COEs using their SingPass...

Yes I think this is one of the reason. dealers. but what would happen if pay wat u bid but dealers increase thier margin? I think should also allow owners to bid themselves and car dealers cannot surcharge coe not bidded through them.

Yes, you are right. Car dealers should be banned from bidding for COEs. Only potential owners are allowed to bid for COEs using their SingPass...

Singapore many lazy singaporean that rather lock stock barrel other people do for them.