Thread: Tanglin Park

Default Tanglin Park

*couldn't find a specific thread for Tanglin Park, so started a new one - pls feel free to scold me if there already is*

Now that I've completed my property hunt for the next few years, thought I'd share some of the photos of the other developments I really liked.

Truth be said, if I had 2 fully paid up properties, Tanglin Park would be the one I'd buy. Really like the location and feel of the place. Unfortunately the rental yield is dismal.

If ever it en blocs, the returns ought to be phenomenal. It's a rich man's game.

Photos:

When was the last time you saw one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by starrynight
    *couldn't find a specific thread for Tanglin Park, so started a new one - pls feel free to scold me if there already is*

Now that I've completed my property hunt for the next few years, thought I'd share some of the photos of the other developments I really liked.

Truth be said, if I had 2 fully paid up properties, Tanglin Park would be the one I'd buy. Really like the location and feel of the place. Unfortunately the rental yield is dismal.

If ever it en blocs, the returns ought to be phenomenal. It's a rich man's game.

Photos:

When was the last time you saw one of these?
    Tanglin Park's really classy and laid-back. Viewed once before; was very impressed by the atmosphere and tenant-mix in the estate. I remember the units I saw had split-levels, but were a little dark. Family didn't like them. Loved the old-school feel of the estate though. Was $1.6m for 3 bedrooms

Starrynight, what other projects were you looking at? Looks like you had a healthy budget

You have good taste

It is a bit dark because of the layout of the units, and many have their balcony views partly obscured by the trees, which lessen the light.

But how many condos can say they have a squash court, as well as a "backroad short cut" to Dempsey? Or for that matter, a neighbour in the mansion opposite who has like 7 supercars?

Quote Originally Posted by electron
    Tanglin Park's really classy and laid-back. Viewed once before; was very impressed by the atmosphere and tenant-mix in the estate. I remember the units I saw had split-levels, but were a little dark. Family didn't like them. Loved the old-school feel of the estate though. Was $1.6m for 3 bedrooms

For the record, I could only buy one

I considered the following:
    1. Rivergate - duh... heh
    2. Tanglin Park - quickly ruled out cos the low rental yield. My colleague bought a unit and spent $20k to do it up; it was very nice, but rental still did not work out (to me)
    3. Reflections - quickly ruled out cos of rental issues; I liked the villa blocks more than the tower ones
    4. Interlace - unit size a bit too big; likely rental issues; good view units snapped up long ago; a number of the remaining units have odd layouts (e.g. corner behind dining area which is essentially useless)
    5. Duchess Residences - piqued my curiosity cos it looks very nice, and price has not increased much compared to launch; rental returns do not work out for me
    6. Valley Park - interested since I started hunting for pptys in 2006; could not get past the mental block of being able to buy at $1000psf for 2 bedder in 2007; 2 bedders also have the semi-circle master bedroom
    7. Aspen Heights - high floor 2-bedders are quite nice sized, and very airy; a little worried about the water pipes which they had the fix in the entire(?) devt
    8. Belle Vue Residences - too expensive
    9. Toyed with the idea of The Pier at Robertson, Watermark, etc. along the river, but Rivergate was just so much nicer
    10. Spottiswoode HDB - cannot accept the 5 year MOP
    11. Delta HDB (blks 1 to 5) - cannot accept the 5 year MOP
    12. Cosmopolitan - loved the bright "floor to ceiling" windows in the living room, but not the $680-a-month maintenance!
    13. Mill Point - 2-bedders hard to come by, and quite small; some units also blocked by Zenith
    I feel tired just remembering the list! I must have viewed at least 15 units in Rivergate alone..

Starrynight, what other projects were you looking at? Looks like you had a healthy budget

2. Tanglin Park - quickly ruled out cos the low rental yield. My colleague bought a unit and spent $20k to do it up; it was very nice, but rental still did not work out (to me)
    3. Reflections - quickly ruled out cos of rental issues; I liked the villa blocks more than the tower ones
    4. Interlace - unit size a bit too big; likely rental issues; good view units snapped up long ago; a number of the remaining units have odd layouts (e.g. corner behind dining area which is essentially useless)
    5. Duchess Residences - piqued my curiosity cos it looks very nice, and price has not increased much compared to launch; rental returns do not work out for me
    6. Valley Park - interested since I started hunting for pptys in 2006; could not get past the mental block of being able to buy at $1000psf for 2 bedder in 2007; 2 bedders also have the semi-circle master bedroom
    7. Aspen Heights - high floor 2-bedders are quite nice sized, and very airy; a little worried about the water pipes which they had the fix in the entire(?) devt
    9. Toyed with the idea of The Pier at Robertson, Watermark, etc. along the river, but Rivergate was just so much nicer
    12. Cosmopolitan - loved the bright "floor to ceiling" windows in the living room, but not the $680-a-month maintenance!
    13. Mill Point - 2-bedders hard to come by, and quite small; some units also blocked by Zenith
    I feel tired just remembering the list! I must have viewed at least 15 units in Rivergate alone..
    Woah! I once wanted to buy a 4-room door to door flat at Delta facing Valley Park, then buy another unit at Valley Park to rent out. That was before the 5yr MOP for resale. Keep one access card to use the facilties

But market was too fast for me. Bought landed in 2010 and sold it on the ABSD weekend for a good profit. Thank God for the opportunity. Now living at Tg Rhu because that's what's within my means

Sounds like you are an astute investor Next time you buy again, let me know yah?

Woah! I once wanted to buy a 4-room door to door flat at Delta facing Valley Park, then buy another unit at Valley Park to rent out. That was before the 5yr MOP for resale. Keep one access card to use the facilties

But market was too fast for me. Bought landed in 2010 and sold it on the ABSD weekend for a good profit. Thank God for the opportunity. Now living at Tg Rhu because that's what's within my means

Sounds like you are an astute investor Next time you buy again, let me know yah?
    No lah. I was too slow. Waiting for market to drop more in 2009

For those who view many many condos and spend many months working out the pros and cons, at the end of the day, when they decide to buy, usually it is dictated by Fate. It is fated that the current Rivergate unit wowed your heart and you were at the right place and at right time and the owner was willing to let go at your right price.

Know someone who viewed a unit he liked but somehow couldn't transact. He went overseas for 2 years, returned and saw the unit was still in the market.
    Its like a spouse waiting for him, he got it in the end. A fairy tale ending.

Darn. That aircon remote is a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    Darn. That aircon remote is a classic.
    Blast from the past hor? I remember seeing this things for the first time around 1986 when my parents installed air-cons in our house in Hong Leong for the tenant. The "remote" had a wire connecting it to the air-con, and the air-con had fake wood panelling.

No lah. I was too slow. Waiting for market to drop more in 2009
    You are being modest - you saw the landed spike coming! Or was that a fluke? haha..

Quote Originally Posted by ekl2ekl2
    For those who view many many condos and spend many months working out the pros and cons, at the end of the day, when they decide to buy, usually it is dictated by Fate. It is fated that the current Rivergate unit wowed your heart and you were at the right place and at right time and the owner was willing to let go at your right price.

Know someone who viewed a unit he liked but somehow couldn't transact. He went overseas for 2 years, returned and saw the unit was still in the market.

Its like a spouse waiting for him, he got it in the end. A fairy tale ending.
    Lemme guess - you are a lady, and you believe in true love?

But interesting that you said this. I can say a bit more about the buying process since it's probably a story you would enjoy I started off looking at 3-bedder units. Then I came across unit #14-14, which is pool facing. Nice layout (I actually prefer the units where the living and dining area are both along the balcony, then the "rotate 90 degrees" configuration. But I was a little hesitant about the unit number. Went to ask my best friend, who has a fantastic ppty investment track record, and she said "no way" (she's quite pantang), so I turned it down. Was a bit sore for a while after it was sold ($2150 psf, btw). Subsequently I saw some mid-floor units, but there was no "love at first sight". Then I saw #33-16 on a Saturday morning, was mesmerised by the view (I could even see the Changi Airport control tower if I squinted!) and told my agent I was willing to pay what the seller was asking for - we waited the day and the night, and the next day, my agent told me that the unit was sold to someone else (at $2298 psf) the night before I even saw it! CM7 came, and I had pretty much resigned myself to waiting 2 years to buy; my agent even told me #24-16 was just sold for $2300 psf (caveat not out, so maybe he "smoke" me... heh). 2 days later, my unit came on the market, with viewing on a Fri morning - I was ill that week, so that together with CM7, meant that I turned my agent down. But he called again to say that he could persuade the tenant to make the unit available on Sat, and for some reason, I dragged myself to the unit. Saw it, liked it, and made an offer, which was accepted.

OK, I clearly have no hope at a career in writing, but think you get the idea

One of the "exclusive" one. Was eyeing this few years back but ....$$$ no enuf

Yah... this one is really a rich man's property lah... must have holding power, but ought to be handsomely rewarded when the day comes

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie
    One of the "exclusive" one. Was eyeing this few years back but ....$$$ no enuf

Yah... this one is really a rich man's property lah... must have holding power, but ought to be handsomely rewarded when the day comes
    You are a rich person when you decided to go ahead with Rivergate.

I'm not Tanglin Park-level rich

But more seriously, I'm single, with little financial commitments (apart from my weakness for food and wine), so am able to save more. I have also been fortunate at work to have a good employer and superiors.

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    You are a rich person when you decided to go ahead with Rivergate.

Did you look at other surrounding development like TriBeCa or Martin Place Residences?
    Would like to hear your view on them if you have considered but not chose these. (or other surrounding developments)
    TQ

I didn't view either of the 2 you mentioned, but did briefly consider them. My personal preferences are obviously biased, so do take with a pinch of salt:
    1. Tribeca: small devt - my previously condo was a 44-unit one in Pasir Panjang... paid $380 a month and all I had was a very small swimming pool. Decided thereafter I would not go for small devts.
    2. MPR: honestly, just did not do it for me for some reason. Obviously newer, but given the location, facilities, etc. I think Rivergate is a better choice for essentially the same price.
    3. Trillium: only saw the floor plans - felt that there was a lot of "wasted" space. It is a rich man's own-stay property
    4. Centennia Suites: Saw the showflat a long time ago. Thought it was quite nice, but honestly can't remember very much. Was $2000psf (or a bit more) during the launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khng8
    Did you look at other surrounding development like TriBeCa or Martin Place Residences?
    Would like to hear your view on them if you have considered but not chose these. (or other surrounding developments)
    TQ

But interesting that you said this. I can say a bit more about the buying process since it's probably a story you would enjoy I started off looking at 3-bedder units. Then I came across unit #14-14, which is pool facing. Nice layout (I actually prefer the units where the living and dining area are both along the balcony, then the "rotate 90 degrees" configuration. But I was a little hesitant about the unit number. Went to ask my best friend, who has a fantastic ppty investment track record, and she said "no way" (she's quite pantang), so I turned it down. Was a bit sore for a while after it was sold ($2150 psf, btw). Subsequently I saw some mid-floor units, but there was no "love at first sight". Then I saw #33-16 on a Saturday morning, was mesmerised by the view (I could even see the Changi Airport control tower if I squinted!) and told my agent I was willing to pay what the seller was asking for - we waited the day and the night, and the next day, my agent told me that the unit was sold to someone else (at $2298 psf) the night before I even saw it! CM7 came, and I had pretty much resigned myself to waiting 2 years to buy; my agent even told me #24-16 was just sold for $2300 psf (caveat not out, so maybe he "smoke" me... heh). 2 days later, my unit came on the market, with viewing on a Fri morning - I was ill that week, so that together with CM7, meant that I turned my agent down. But he called again to say that he could persuade the tenant to make the unit available on Sat, and for some reason, I dragged myself to the unit. Saw it, liked it, and made an offer, which was accepted.

OK, I clearly have no hope at a career in writing, but think you get the idea
    usually, i think, the bigger ticket the item, the more the "fate" and "impulse" that is involved. altho' this sounds very counter-intuitive, it is true for me. because it is such an impt purchase, you tink and analyse, calculate and plan, so much that you will miss out quite a few opportunities, here and there. so finally when u make a decision, it has to overwrite most of what you "planned" for. how to overwrite? fate and impulse lor.

but congrats. you mad ea good buy at rivergate. i must say tanglin place really looks old school. need abit of "love" to jump into it, considering the age.

Thanks, and I think you are right. For the same reason, few people actually have a need for a Ferrari in Singapore, but we will see so many of them

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    usually, i think, the bigger ticket the item, the more the "fate" and "impulse" that is involved. altho' this sounds very counter-intuitive, it is true for me. because it is such an impt purchase, you tink and analyse, calculate and plan, so much that you will miss out quite a few opportunities, here and there. so finally when u make a decision, it has to overwrite most of what you "planned" for. how to overwrite? fate and impulse lor.

but congrats. you mad ea good buy at rivergate. i must say tanglin place really looks old school. need abit of "love" to jump into it, considering the age.

MC considering en bloc

Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    It's really very dim inside, not as well lit (through natural sunlight) as most new condos