Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Tanglin Park

  1. #1

    Default Tanglin Park

    *couldn't find a specific thread for Tanglin Park, so started a new one - pls feel free to scold me if there already is*

    Now that I've completed my property hunt for the next few years, thought I'd share some of the photos of the other developments I really liked.

    Truth be said, if I had 2 fully paid up properties, Tanglin Park would be the one I'd buy. Really like the location and feel of the place. Unfortunately the rental yield is dismal.

    If ever it en blocs, the returns ought to be phenomenal. It's a rich man's game.

    Photos:






    When was the last time you saw one of these?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starrynight
    *couldn't find a specific thread for Tanglin Park, so started a new one - pls feel free to scold me if there already is*

    Now that I've completed my property hunt for the next few years, thought I'd share some of the photos of the other developments I really liked.

    Truth be said, if I had 2 fully paid up properties, Tanglin Park would be the one I'd buy. Really like the location and feel of the place. Unfortunately the rental yield is dismal.

    If ever it en blocs, the returns ought to be phenomenal. It's a rich man's game.

    Photos:






    When was the last time you saw one of these?
    Tanglin Park's really classy and laid-back. Viewed once before; was very impressed by the atmosphere and tenant-mix in the estate. I remember the units I saw had split-levels, but were a little dark. Family didn't like them. Loved the old-school feel of the estate though. Was $1.6m for 3 bedrooms

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Starrynight, what other projects were you looking at? Looks like you had a healthy budget

  4. #4

    Default

    You have good taste

    It is a bit dark because of the layout of the units, and many have their balcony views partly obscured by the trees, which lessen the light.

    But how many condos can say they have a squash court, as well as a "backroad short cut" to Dempsey? Or for that matter, a neighbour in the mansion opposite who has like 7 supercars?

    Quote Originally Posted by electron
    Tanglin Park's really classy and laid-back. Viewed once before; was very impressed by the atmosphere and tenant-mix in the estate. I remember the units I saw had split-levels, but were a little dark. Family didn't like them. Loved the old-school feel of the estate though. Was $1.6m for 3 bedrooms

  5. #5

    Default

    For the record, I could only buy one

    I considered the following:
    1. Rivergate - duh... heh
    2. Tanglin Park - quickly ruled out cos the low rental yield. My colleague bought a unit and spent $20k to do it up; it was very nice, but rental still did not work out (to me)
    3. Reflections - quickly ruled out cos of rental issues; I liked the villa blocks more than the tower ones
    4. Interlace - unit size a bit too big; likely rental issues; good view units snapped up long ago; a number of the remaining units have odd layouts (e.g. corner behind dining area which is essentially useless)
    5. Duchess Residences - piqued my curiosity cos it looks very nice, and price has not increased much compared to launch; rental returns do not work out for me
    6. Valley Park - interested since I started hunting for pptys in 2006; could not get past the mental block of being able to buy at $1000psf for 2 bedder in 2007; 2 bedders also have the semi-circle master bedroom
    7. Aspen Heights - high floor 2-bedders are quite nice sized, and very airy; a little worried about the water pipes which they had the fix in the entire(?) devt
    8. Belle Vue Residences - too expensive
    9. Toyed with the idea of The Pier at Robertson, Watermark, etc. along the river, but Rivergate was just so much nicer
    10. Spottiswoode HDB - cannot accept the 5 year MOP
    11. Delta HDB (blks 1 to 5) - cannot accept the 5 year MOP
    12. Cosmopolitan - loved the bright "floor to ceiling" windows in the living room, but not the $680-a-month maintenance!
    13. Mill Point - 2-bedders hard to come by, and quite small; some units also blocked by Zenith
    I feel tired just remembering the list! I must have viewed at least 15 units in Rivergate alone..

    Quote Originally Posted by electron
    Starrynight, what other projects were you looking at? Looks like you had a healthy budget

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starrynight
    For the record, I could only buy one

    I considered the following:
    1. Rivergate - duh... heh
    2. Tanglin Park - quickly ruled out cos the low rental yield. My colleague bought a unit and spent $20k to do it up; it was very nice, but rental still did not work out (to me)
    3. Reflections - quickly ruled out cos of rental issues; I liked the villa blocks more than the tower ones
    4. Interlace - unit size a bit too big; likely rental issues; good view units snapped up long ago; a number of the remaining units have odd layouts (e.g. corner behind dining area which is essentially useless)
    5. Duchess Residences - piqued my curiosity cos it looks very nice, and price has not increased much compared to launch; rental returns do not work out for me
    6. Valley Park - interested since I started hunting for pptys in 2006; could not get past the mental block of being able to buy at $1000psf for 2 bedder in 2007; 2 bedders also have the semi-circle master bedroom
    7. Aspen Heights - high floor 2-bedders are quite nice sized, and very airy; a little worried about the water pipes which they had the fix in the entire(?) devt
    8. Belle Vue Residences - too expensive
    9. Toyed with the idea of The Pier at Robertson, Watermark, etc. along the river, but Rivergate was just so much nicer
    10. Spottiswoode HDB - cannot accept the 5 year MOP
    11. Delta HDB (blks 1 to 5) - cannot accept the 5 year MOP
    12. Cosmopolitan - loved the bright "floor to ceiling" windows in the living room, but not the $680-a-month maintenance!
    13. Mill Point - 2-bedders hard to come by, and quite small; some units also blocked by Zenith
    I feel tired just remembering the list! I must have viewed at least 15 units in Rivergate alone..
    Woah! I once wanted to buy a 4-room door to door flat at Delta facing Valley Park, then buy another unit at Valley Park to rent out. That was before the 5yr MOP for resale. Keep one access card to use the facilties

    But market was too fast for me. Bought landed in 2010 and sold it on the ABSD weekend for a good profit. Thank God for the opportunity. Now living at Tg Rhu because that's what's within my means

  7. #7

    Default

    Sounds like you are an astute investor Next time you buy again, let me know yah?

    Quote Originally Posted by electron
    Woah! I once wanted to buy a 4-room door to door flat at Delta facing Valley Park, then buy another unit at Valley Park to rent out. That was before the 5yr MOP for resale. Keep one access card to use the facilties

    But market was too fast for me. Bought landed in 2010 and sold it on the ABSD weekend for a good profit. Thank God for the opportunity. Now living at Tg Rhu because that's what's within my means

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starrynight
    Sounds like you are an astute investor Next time you buy again, let me know yah?
    No lah. I was too slow. Waiting for market to drop more in 2009

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starrynight
    For the record, I could only buy one

    I considered the following:
    1. Rivergate - duh... heh
    2. Tanglin Park - quickly ruled out cos the low rental yield. My colleague bought a unit and spent $20k to do it up; it was very nice, but rental still did not work out (to me)
    3. Reflections - quickly ruled out cos of rental issues; I liked the villa blocks more than the tower ones
    4. Interlace - unit size a bit too big; likely rental issues; good view units snapped up long ago; a number of the remaining units have odd layouts (e.g. corner behind dining area which is essentially useless)
    5. Duchess Residences - piqued my curiosity cos it looks very nice, and price has not increased much compared to launch; rental returns do not work out for me
    6. Valley Park - interested since I started hunting for pptys in 2006; could not get past the mental block of being able to buy at $1000psf for 2 bedder in 2007; 2 bedders also have the semi-circle master bedroom
    7. Aspen Heights - high floor 2-bedders are quite nice sized, and very airy; a little worried about the water pipes which they had the fix in the entire(?) devt
    8. Belle Vue Residences - too expensive
    9. Toyed with the idea of The Pier at Robertson, Watermark, etc. along the river, but Rivergate was just so much nicer
    10. Spottiswoode HDB - cannot accept the 5 year MOP
    11. Delta HDB (blks 1 to 5) - cannot accept the 5 year MOP
    12. Cosmopolitan - loved the bright "floor to ceiling" windows in the living room, but not the $680-a-month maintenance!
    13. Mill Point - 2-bedders hard to come by, and quite small; some units also blocked by Zenith
    I feel tired just remembering the list! I must have viewed at least 15 units in Rivergate alone..
    For those who view many many condos and spend many months working out the pros and cons, at the end of the day, when they decide to buy, usually it is dictated by Fate. It is fated that the current Rivergate unit wowed your heart and you were at the right place and at right time and the owner was willing to let go at your right price.

    Know someone who viewed a unit he liked but somehow couldn't transact. He went overseas for 2 years, returned and saw the unit was still in the market.
    Its like a spouse waiting for him, he got it in the end. A fairy tale ending.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,482

    Default

    Darn. That aircon remote is a classic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions