Thread: NEED YR ADVICE ON HANDOVER

Default NEED YR ADVICE ON HANDOVER

My niece has rented a house but pre- terminate due to bad condition of the house, mould on walls and leaking... Landlord agree to let her preterminate 4 months before expiry. Moving out end of this month.

She is holding back the last month rental as she know the landlord may not want to return her the deposit and try to claim whatever possible too. She received letter today if she does not pay up by ASAP for feb rental, will take legal action...there is still the 2-month deposit with the landlord. Legally, she has to pay up till the last month without offset, but can landlord take any action within these last few days? can she tell landlord charge late payment interest instead?

First the contract. Can attached the contract. use dropbox

Then the authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    First the contract. Can attached the contract. use dropbox

Then the authority.
    Hi Arcachon

Sorry, I don't get u....I do not have the contract with me. Tks

With the contract, you can be advise what to do next.

You can put the document on the Drop Box and paste the link in the forum.

e.g.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5akfcstyj...l-Contract.pdf
    Last edited by Arcachon; 21-02-13 at 21:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon
    With the contract, you can be advise what to do next.

You can put the document on the Drop Box and paste the link in the forum.
    Hi Arcachon

I did ask for contract but as the lease is signed with her company, she didn't get a copy.

Can she be sued if the last rental is not paid deliberately as she knows she may not see her refund of the deposit? At the very most, she wld rather pay the late payment interest ....any idea?

Haha, I also do not know how to operate Dropbox lah.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Werther
    My niece has rented a house but pre- terminate due to bad condition of the house, mould on walls and leaking... Landlord agree to let her preterminate 4 months before expiry. Moving out end of this month.

She is holding back the last month rental as she know the landlord may not want to return her the deposit and try to claim whatever possible too. She received letter today if she does not pay up by ASAP for feb rental, will take legal action...there is still the 2-month deposit with the landlord. Legally, she has to pay up till the last month without offset, but can landlord take any action within these last few days? can she tell landlord charge late payment interest instead?
    First and foremost, I assumed your niece had stayed for 1 years 8 months (typical of 2 years contract) things like mould on the wall don just develop over night.Mould is tge resut of wetness and short of ventulation.Is either she failed to identify during rental inspection or part of her responsibility to upkeep and maintenance the place.

Her landlord is kind enough to premature terminate but she hold back her payment.

I will be doing like wise as the landlord ,what give me the assurance that there no damage done to the property ? In fact , she betrayed the trust and mutual agreement at the first place , putting the contract secondary !

Pardon me if I sound offensive .

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    First and foremost, I assumed your niece had stayed for 1 years 8 months (typical of 2 years contract) things like mould on the wall don just develop over night.Mould is tge resut of wetness and short of ventulation.Is either she failed to identify during rental inspection or part of her responsibility to upkeep and maintenance the place.

Her landlord is kind enough to premature terminate but she hold back her payment.

I will be doing like wise as the landlord ,what give me the assurance that there no damage done to the property ? In fact , she betrayed the trust and mutual agreement at the first place , putting the contract secondary !

Pardon me if I sound offensive .

Hi zzz1

Not at all. I went down this afternoon and saw the amount of moulds in many parts of the walls. In actual fact, the maid has been clearing and cleaning the moulds every now and then, only these few days, busy packing didn't clean and can see mould grows and multiplying all over the premises. The other reason landlord willing to let her go as her son has been seeing 'sighting' in the night.

Part of the reason for the growth of moulds due to roof leaking. Landlord very slow to react.

I also feel the house is very 'Yin' and surrounded by lots of natural vegetation.

Hi Arcachon

I did ask for contract but as the lease is signed with her company, she didn't get a copy.

Can she be sued if the last rental is not paid deliberately as she knows she may not see her refund of the deposit? At the very most, she wld rather pay the late payment interest ....any idea?

Haha, I also do not know how to operate Dropbox lah.
    Rental and security deposit are two separate things. As long as tenant dont pay rent, the landlord can sue.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Legally, last month's rental cannot be held back (usually this is stipulated in the contract), so your niece has no right to hold back, and landlord has right to take legal action if don't receive rent.

Hi zzz1

Not at all. I went down this afternoon and saw the amount of moulds in many parts of the walls. In actual fact, the maid has been clearing and cleaning the moulds every now and then, only these few days, busy packing didn't clean and can see mould grows and multiplying all over the premises. The other reason landlord willing to let her go as her son has been seeing 'sighting' in the night.

Part of the reason for the growth of moulds due to roof leaking. Landlord very slow to react.

I also feel the house is very 'Yin' and surrounded by lots of natural vegetation.

Hi zzz1

wah so scary

This should be a landed property right? Where is it located?

Hi zzz1

[QUOTE=teddybear]This should be a landed property right? Where is it located?[/

Yes, double storey bungalow near botanics garden.

Did u ask wat kind of 'sighting' did the son see?

Quote Originally Posted by august
    Did u ask wat kind of 'sighting' did the son see?

Aiyo, not nice to say now, will tell you after the 15th day of Chinese New Year .

LegAlly i know cannot withhold the rental but willing to pay interest, do-able in this case? Still can get sued?

Well, landed always have such leakage problem!
    Furthermore, because the house compound is so big and people living in there so few, obviously the house will appear very "Yin". Better don't talk any more about it, very eeriee!

[quote=Werther]
    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    This should be a landed property right? Where is it located?[/

Yes, double storey bungalow near botanics garden.

i remember in the olden days, maids used to wear those white top and black bottom maid costume... did the son see such a "maid"?

Quote Originally Posted by august
    i remember in the olden days, maids used to wear those white top and black bottom maid costume... did the son see such a "maid"?

August, don't say anymore, very ...

Suggest your niece to pay the rent and work things out amicably with the landlord, and try to get some written confirmation from landlord they she will not be penalized for the early termination.

But, we'll wait for the eerie story after CNY!

not only above ground leakages, gotta take note of the underground pipes too.

Hi zzz1

interesting. you are right that the house is very yin and probably attracting entities.

given that there are special "stories" behind this case, i am begining to understand why the landlord agreed to premature termination. dun tell me the landlord DUNNO this place is like that lor. he/she probably not first time kenah leow. so your niece will have a strong case for early termination.

anyway it's juz a difference of 1 month deposit. doubt any party will go legal also, the fees will outweigh any benefit. have an honest talk and i am sure can settle amicably. perhaps ask landlord go down and inspect the house early, agree on any damages and the $$ involved. by final handover, difference of few weeks, dun tink there will be extra damages. that will solve the worry right?

but camping here to listen to story.
    There is no good or bad location. There is only good or bad price.

Hi zzz1

talk about moulds on walls.........could there be a cemented body in the walls (just like the recent murder case in Msia)?

If its company lease, why withhold payment? Let the matter into the company's hand instead of stressing herself out over money matters.
    When you have eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    talk about moulds on walls.........could there be a cemented body in the walls (just like the recent murder case in Msia)?
    in that case, really absurd. how can you build a 3m wall in someone's house and expect the owner not to get suspicious?

want to hide.. must hack open existing wall.. put in the body then seal it back lah.

anyway for landed ppty with some land. best is dig a hole and put inside. then plant some nice flowers on the soil on top. that way, it will look like the place was done up real nicely, and you bet the flowers will grow very well with good fertiliser.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    in that case, really absurd. how can you build a 3m wall in someone's house and expect the owner not to get suspicious?

want to hide.. must hack open existing wall.. put in the body then seal it back lah.

anyway for landed ppty with some land. best is dig a hole and put inside. then plant some nice flowers on the soil on top. that way, it will look like the place was done up real nicely, and you bet the flowers will grow very well with good fertiliser.
    heh, the alleged killer is apparently a professor leh. desperate times call for desperate measures

digging will leave traces of evidence too, not to mention the smell. could just cement into a block and dump into a river or sea

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    heh, the alleged killer is apparently a professor leh. desperate times call for desperate measures

digging will leave traces of evidence too, not to mention the smell. could just cement into a block and dump into a river or sea
    OMG!

You guys are really well-versed in body disposal tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    interesting. you are right that the house is very yin and probably attracting entities.

given that there are special "stories" behind this case, i am begining to understand why the landlord agreed to premature termination. dun tell me the landlord DUNNO this place is like that lor. he/she probably not first time kenah leow. so your niece will have a strong case for early termination.

anyway it's juz a difference of 1 month deposit. doubt any party will go legal also, the fees will outweigh any benefit. have an honest talk and i am sure can settle amicably. perhaps ask landlord go down and inspect the house early, agree on any damages and the $$ involved. by final handover, difference of few weeks, dun tink there will be extra damages. that will solve the worry right?

but camping here to listen to story.
    Brother Shanz's advice is very good.

Sounds like landlord has been very reasonable and tenant should also reciprocate the kindness. If the landlord is nasty, he can don't allow early termination, which is strictly a breach. Not only can he forfeit deposit but can also claim for the full 4 months rental.

I didn't expect got some stories to add on. Haha.

Keep u guys posted. Thanks for all kind advice.

Hi zzz1

Basing on this, landlord seem reasonable, she still ought to honour the payment. If there any deduction due , it shall be fair and just. The reason of 'sighting' is be considered to early termination, landlord pays for agent commissioning exposure too. And both are two different case.

Put yourselve as landlord position, I sure u felt being play out too .! Don ended up asked to vacant the unit within 24 .

CNY over leh.. what was the sighting?