Thread: Cherian George Saga...so now noisy people want to influence university decision?

Default Cherian George Saga...so now noisy people want to influence university decision?

I think many people dont know what is TENURE. For an academic to be tenure, he/she need to have PUBLICATIONS , in particular JOURNAL publications in TOP Journals.

No doubt that Cherian is a good teacher, but that doesnt warrant a TENURE! Otherwise why is there a TEACHING TRACK and TENURE TRACK in the universities.

So now this incident also link and blame PAP. again WTF...

Books are easy to publish and do not carry much weight compared to peer reviewed journals. do a search on google scholar and you will see why NTU did not grant tenure to him.

are u from NTU?

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    I think many people dont know what is TENURE. For an academic to be tenure, he/she need to have PUBLICATIONS , in particular JOURNAL publications in TOP Journals.

No doubt that Cherian is a good teacher, but that doesnt warrant a TENURE! Otherwise why is there a TEACHING TRACK and TENURE TRACK in the universities.

Books are easy to publish and do not carry much weight compared to peer reviewed journals. do a search on google scholar and you will see why NTU did not grant tenure to him.

now u walk an trip also garmen fault. That's the naviness of the nation now.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    now u walk an trip also garmen fault. That's the naviness of the nation now.
    what is naviness? do u mean the navel of the nation?

Besides teaching and research excellence and some administrative capability, I think they also look at their attitude and potential. It is a long term liability to the university till 65 years old.

I understand NTU got many cannot teach well FTs, but they can get tenure...
    So teaching well seem to be unimportant at all?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Besides teaching and research excellence and some administrative capability, I think they also look at their attitude and potential. It is a long term liability to the university till 65 years old.
    True, but the most important aspect or weight is still the academic accomplishment, and NOT the teaching or book authorship or internet articles.

I challenge him to sue NTU for this tenure thing.

Actually personally I find that NTU is very gracious to give him the Associate Prof title.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    are u from NTU?
    no, but i spent a long time in the academic research, so I know how tenure works. There are many MORE QUALIFIED people than him whom did not get tenure. But just that they are NOT that qualified enough to warrant a tenure. Tenure is the Holy Grail in the university.

True, but the most important aspect or weight is still the academic accomplishment, and NOT the teaching or book authorship or internet articles.

Actually personally I find that NTU is very gracious to give him the Associate Prof title.

Aiyah Just fire the bugger. Not all think scream n shout they will get some thing free.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

What do you mean by academic accomplishment?

Professors are suppose to:
    1) Teach?
    2) Do good research & Publish good papers?

There are many who are good in 1 but not the other. It seems good in (1) has been sacrificed for (2)? If good in (2), may be they can be good researcher and not lecturer? They should just split the jobs into 2.
    Good in teaching will teach, good in research will do research... Both can get tenure, don't be biased!
    Heard many other people (include some comments in this forum) that NTU got many assoc professors who can't teach and yet are tenured, so teaching is not important?

to obtain tenure, you must have research output and publications. doesn't matter if you're abraham lincoln to the students

It includes citatiin and secure of sizeable research grant and supervuse a couple if phd students.
    Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    to obtain tenure, you must have research output and publications. doesn't matter if you're abraham lincoln to the students

Supporters and petitioners claim he was penalised for airing political views. As far as I know, Cherian George is a very considerate and restrained fellow, conscious of not stepping on toes. So has he been really critical of the PAP government? Don't remember having read anything that qualifies as outright and forthright criticism. Is there anything out there that can be traced?

Quote Originally Posted by Doom
    Supporters and petitioners claim he was penalised for airing political views. As far as I know, Cherian George is a very considerate and restrained fellow, conscious of not stepping on toes. So has he been really critical of the PAP government? Don't remember having read anything that qualifies as outright and forthright criticism. Is there anything out there that can be traced?

Everything is government fault these days. Eat at a coffee shop can also link to political party fault. People are out to find conspiracy theory. If its too simple people dont believe.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

what did he say about local politic?
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    Everything is government fault these days. Eat at a coffee shop can also link to political party fault. People are out to find conspiracy theory. If its too simple people dont believe.
    this world cannot move forward without bad guys..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    this world cannot move forward without bad guys..

I will like to have my X-Files back on TV!!!

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    what did he say about local politic?
    He has touched on things like press freedom. Nothing spectacular; we all know that the media here is government controlled. Cherian is by the way married to Zuraidah Ibrahim, Deputy Editor of The Straits Times. So how much of a liability can can he be to the PAP? Zuraidah is quite powerful, second in command only to the Editor Warren Fernandez.

I am not so sure now.

Maybe there is something to it after all. Reading his blog . . .

http://www.airconditionednation.com/

One does feel that Cherian has been asking the PAP to change and transform. Maybe he has been on the radar of the authorities after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom
    I am not so sure now.

Maybe there is something to it after all. Reading his blog . . .

http://www.airconditionednation.com/

One does feel that Cherian has been asking the PAP to change and transform. Maybe he has been on the radar of the authorities after all.

everyone here also asking for change. So all would technically speaking kana also wat.

We are reading too much into the tea leaves.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Default Fact of Life

Yes, a lot of people make noise in Singapore. But only a minority are being watched. They don't care about the majority who have no influence. This is a fact of life here. In this case, we have to know the background. Cherian George was part of a Roundtable civil society formed some years back to discuss politics and civil issues. Of the Roundtable, James Gomez was the most prominent critic of the government, and he eventually left the Roundtable to join the Workers’ Party. Three others, Simon Tay, Zulkifikli Baharudin and Chandra Mohan were co-opted into Parliament as Nominated MPs. Raymond Lim became a PAP man, Minister for Transport. Cherian George and constitutional lawyer Kevin Tan have remained independent and from time to time, critical of government. A university lecturer like Cherian would be deemed to wield some influence. So not surprising if he is being watched. Or his tenure blocked. I guess we won't know for sure. But the possibility is there. Can't dismiss it entirely, after having discussed with academics and reviewed Cherian's record.