View Poll Results: How much rent are you willing to pay?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • <$1,500

11 26.19%
  • $1,500-$3,500

19 45.24%
  • $3,500-$6,500

9 21.43%
  • $6,500-$10,000

1 2.38%
  • >$10,000

2 4.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roof over your head

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykj
    1) Obviously you didn't disable the feature correctly coz it can still be seen

2) In my company, there are many MDs and some of them do surf this forum and I know they ARE paying this amount And 1 of my company's HR VP in charge of Expat's Affairs also surf this forum (I intro her) and she has a role in determining what the Expat housing allowances should be...thus it is also not wrong since she is a forummer herself
    So you are the one who claim you can afford to spend >$10,000 on rent per month.

I shall give you the benefit of doubt, but from the things you wrote in this forum, you certainly doesnt sound like a MD or CEO.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

i voted >10k if i am an expat.

no need to be ceo. Expat can afford liao

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle
    i voted >10k if i am an expat.

no need to be ceo. Expat can afford liao

please read before submitting your vote. This question is direct at you based on your current salary. Not IF you are somebody else.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    please read before submitting your vote. This question is direct at you based on your current salary. Not IF you are somebody else.
    I'm really confuse now.. as to whether you are surveying a local or a foreigner..

The same position I'm doing now.. If is a foreigners.. my company pay them 5k more as housing allowance..
    But if you insist that base on my current salary (but consider I'm "that foreigner") to give you a poll..
    Then I'm afraid that your survey is totally not accurate liao lor

With the rising property price over the past 5 years, cost of housing is getting really expensive in Singapore.

For a moment lets just imagine you are a foreigner working in Singapore and with your current job and salary, how much rent are you willing to pay for a roof over your head?

Everyone here are rent collector. You are at the wrong channel

Haha nice one. I had the same thoughts when I first saw this post.

Don't know how to answer cos not paying rent and will try hard not to.

More important is to figure out how much others are willing to rent for.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

I dont think you have a clue of whats the objective of this vote, so please dont make it sound like it is intended to be the way you think.

if you dont have the money, please dont vote like you do.

Hello Mr Twister, look at your 1st post

"For a moment lets just imagine you are a foreigner working in Singapore and with your current job and salary, how much rent are you willing to pay for a roof over your head?"

You asked people to imagine themselves to be a foreigner, which means to be somebody else. Now you told Lovelle it's directed at the person himself, I think you dream too much of your landed (and keep trying to crash it) till you are totally confused and do not even know what you are writing. Read your own post or before long, you have to close your thread and start another one

So you are the one who claim you can afford to spend >$10,000 on rent per month.

I shall give you the benefit of doubt, but from the things you wrote in this forum, you certainly doesnt sound like a MD or CEO.
    No need to be so polite and give me benefit, it's a forum, read it and take it with a pinch of salt if you think it's crap....otherwise, just take it as reference and public education and info sharing from others.

You are right, I'm not an MD....yet. BUT I have an apt that is rented to a SVP of another company (ok lah, it's a bank) and she will become an MD soon. How do I know? She is coming to my bank, hahaha.....what a small world!

"For a moment lets just imagine you are a foreigner working in Singapore and with your current job and salary, how much rent are you willing to pay for a roof over your head?"

You asked people to imagine themselves to be a foreigner, which means to be somebody else. Now you told Lovelle it's directed at the person himself, I think you dream too much of your landed (and keep trying to crash it) till you are totally confused and do not even know what you are writing. Read your own post or before long, you have to close your thread and start another one
    So I'm really confuse by TWIST & TURN cum DIVERT ATTENTION EXPERT R33..

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk
    I'm really confuse now.. as to whether you are surveying a local or a foreigner..

The same position I'm doing now.. If is a foreigners.. my company pay them 5k more as housing allowance..
    But if you insist that base on my current salary (but consider I'm "that foreigner") to give you a poll..
    Then I'm afraid that your survey is totally not accurate liao lor

Now that Rysk has spoken!

Office Boy share something with you la!

In my big office with many many expats, mid level management staff gets a min of $10K housing allowances with an objective of housing them in RCR PCs. But more of the expats are consider high level management staff with a min of $20K housing allowances.

What is difficult to imagine is the amount they want to spend on housing. Some spend most of it, some spend 60% of it.

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG

In my big office with many many expats, mid level management staff gets a min of $10K housing allowances with an objective of housing them in RCR PCs. But more of the expats are consider high level management staff with a min of $20K housing allowances.

What is difficult to imagine is the amount they want to spend on housing. Some spend most of it, some spend 60% of it.

DKSG
    Again, thx for sharing....wondering if we are colleagues

Furthermore, these mid-level mgmt staff usually rent condos from what I see. But once they are level-C, MDs, they will go for landed. No choice coz they frequently host dinners at their house after regional meetings and such.

DKSG
    There is a big difference between spending ah kong money and own money. On business expense, we dine at MBS, fly business class etc. for personal travel, people fly economy, and eat at hawker center etc.

Looking at the vote count, I believe majority in this forum do understand what I was asking. And yes, you need to imagine you are foreigner based on your CURRENT JOB AND SALARY, but that doesnt mean that foreigners has to be CEO. Look around, there are many different type of foreigners around, dont need to cherry pick CEO, nor imagine yourself to be one.

DKSG
    where do they stay with such humongous housing allowances?
    Wether's friend has such difficulty renting out his cosmopolitan 4br for $8k. http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...4&postcount=20

i dont understand the part about min $10k and housing them in RCR PCs. RCR PCs where got so expensive? errrr, are you talking about min $10k per year or min $10k per month. sorry for asking stupid questions.

does any of the expats in your company stay in HDBs? because quite a number of forummers have commented seeing angmos in HDBs.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Those angmos in HDBs are not "expats"
    There are now many ang mos working in mid-level positions and as engineers in Singapore, income probably $4-6k pm and wife not working.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Wether's friend has such difficulty renting out his cosmopolitan 4br for $8k. http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...4&postcount=20

i dont understand the part about min $10k and housing them in RCR PCs. RCR PCs where got so expensive? errrr, are you talking about min $10k per year or min $10k per month. sorry for asking stupid questions.

does any of the expats in your company stay in HDBs? because quite a number of forummers have commented seeing angmos in HDBs.

I think the question should be refined. It should read, imagine if you are an expat with housing allowances.

Decent expats housing allowances is usually $120K per annum +++++++.

If you have $15K housing allowances with a pay of $15K, chances are you will opt for a $10K house an keep the rest of the $5K.

But not all expats want to save so much la! They already leave behind their homes and countries already, many need to pamper themselves.

I know of expats who stay in Nassim area, then later got converted to local payroll, stay in Trillium.

DKSG

what is the average salary of expat without housing allowance? 15-20K?
    you need to calculate total package. Else its a one sided discussion.

also need to define which industry.

a pilot and a oil and gas person or ship captain or banker

by default, the local tax is paid for. In some cases, even the home tax is paid for.

then you have spouse last paycheck paid for 36 months to 48 months which at singapore and extendable / reset again when move to another country.

of course the usual caveat applies. Once you take up PR or citizenship, no longer valid.

so from a pure salary without perks about 240k to 500k. Have to also iinclude children education which varies from 40 to 60 k a year + upfront 150k at the internatiional school. So you can imagine the IT staff from india are not really that cheap . So rental cost should go up no real issue unless they switch off the tap.

I think the question should be refined. It should read, imagine if you are an expat with housing allowances.
    No, I am not interested about expat housing allowance. I am more interested in know how much property investors here (based on their current job and salary) are willing to pay for renting a place.

No, I am not interested about expat housing allowance. I am more interested in know how much property investors here (based on their current job and salary) are willing to pay for renting a place.
    The votes suggests majority would pay up to $3.5k for a decent unit for his/her family! I guess this is very much restricted to OCR and a bit of RCR...

I think you are NOT interested in knowing how much property investors here (based on their current job and salary) are willing to pay for renting a place. You are actually interested to only talk down landed ppty prices so that you can switch from your OCR condo to a landed ppty. You must have realised even though your OCR ppty has appreciated in value, landed has also moved in tandem and beyond your economic reach.

In any case, you probably realised you have created a wrong poll coz the people who voted your poll are not the people who rent landed. Those who rent landed have allowances so it is wrong for you to ignore expat housing allowances if you want to guage the rental market value, especially since most people who rent are foerigners and expats Expats are used to bigger apts and landed so when they relocate here, they need extra allowances to stay in land scarce Singapore.....in being land scarce, they thus must pay a premium, no 2 way about it More so for landed...even more premium, huat ah!

Last time I imagine myself as a foreigner to poll.. now you change to pty investor.. now I sibeh ruan (very confuse) leh

Your Ferrari "twist & turn" so fast.. my Chery QQ couldn't even catch up..

For a moment lets just imagine you are a foreigner working in Singapore and with your current job and salary, how much rent are you willing to pay for a roof over your head?
    Last edited by Rysk; 16-05-13 at 12:24.

I think you are NOT interested in knowing how much property investors here (based on their current job and salary) are willing to pay for renting a place. You are actually interested to only talk down landed ppty prices so that you can switch from your OCR condo to a landed ppty. You must have realised even though your OCR ppty has appreciated in value, landed has also moved in tandem and beyond your economic reach.

In any case, you probably realised you have created a wrong poll coz the people who voted your poll are not the people who rent landed. Those who rent landed have allowances so it is wrong for you to ignore expat housing allowances if you want to guage the rental market value, especially since most people who rent are foerigners and expats Expats are used to bigger apts and landed so when they relocate here, they need extra allowances to stay in land scarce Singapore.....in being land scarce, they thus must pay a premium, no 2 way about it More so for landed...even more premium, huat ah!
    I think that opposite is more true because you are one of the 2 that claim you are willing to spend more than $10,000 per month to have a roof over your head.

And I am not going speculate if you are telling the truth or lies about your financial capability in this forum.

I think that opposite is more true because you are one of the 2 that claim you are willing to spend more than $10,000 per month to have a roof over your head.

And I am not going speculate if you are telling the truth or lies about your financial capability in this forum.
    You think, I thought then who confirm

But hey, hey, hey, don't twist again and good thing you can't edit the original posting. In your post, you ask all to imagine we are a foreigner. Now I imagine and even drawing observations from my colleagues who are real foreigners/ expats, that's what they are paying. So please dun drag me in and write `truth' & `lies' in the same sentence

Anyway, you can talk all you want, think all you want and hope all you want.....end of the day, as long as you are happy, don't have to bother with what we say....if by holding on to your conviction that landed price will crash and it gives you hope every morning you wakes up, keep on hoping coz a life without hope is miserable.

Here we are sharing real life experiences with you but you choose to believe in your inner-self and flawed hypothesis, so be it. But I admire your stamina coz you are 1 punching away against at least 4-5 others fourmers.....i showed my colleagues your posting and we all had a good laugh at you

You think, I thought then who confirm

But hey, hey, hey, don't twist again and good thing you can't edit the original posting. In your post, you ask all to imagine we are a foreigner. Now I imagine and even drawing observations from my colleagues who are real foreigners/ expats, that's what they are paying. So please dun drag me in and write `truth' & `lies' in the same sentence

Anyway, you can talk all you want, think all you want and hope all you want.....end of the day, as long as you are happy, don't have to bother with what we say....if by holding on to your conviction that landed price will crash and it gives you hope every morning you wakes up, keep on hoping coz a life without hope is miserable.

Here we are sharing real life experiences with you but you choose to believe in your inner-self and flawed hypothesis, so be it. But I admire your stamina coz you are 1 punching away against at least 4-5 others fourmers.....i showed my colleagues your posting and we all had a good laugh at you
    Please learn to read the sentence in its entirety, dont just cherry pick what you like to read and then make a mountain out of it.

Did you not understand the meaning of what I have highlighted in bold?

And this thread is not about your landed property. please stop polluting this forum with all these nonsensical childish post.

Again, please learn to read before commenting

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful

Sorry for the confusion, I cannot say more here. The allowance includes other living expenses like utilities, etc, so it will be a bit more than just rental. Expats can choose to stay where they want to and keep the difference.

Just focus on the the $10K and maybe forget about RCR (its their own choice).

DKSG

From your own posting (1st post)

With the rising property price over the past 5 years, cost of housing is getting really expensive in Singapore.

Please learn to read the sentence in its entirety, dont just cherry pick what you like to read and then make a mountain out of it.

Did you not understand the meaning of what I have highlighted in bold?

And this thread is not about your landed property. please stop polluting this forum with all these nonsensical childish post.

Again, please learn to read before commenting
    From your own posting, I do not just read the sentence in its entirety, I read the whole posting, including the sentences before and after what you highlighted in bold. On the contrary, you cherry pick and left out `imagine you are a foreigner'.

And when we `imagine ourselves as a foreigner' .... housing allowances are included in the total remuneration that comes with `the current job and salary'... so who is cherry picking? If you only wish to `hear' that foreigners are only willing to pay $3000 per month for rental, then set the criteria `Junior Foreigners PMETs without or little housing allowance of < $3000' ....

Of coz, these foreigners will only be able to rent HDBs, OCR or older condos/ apts. Not those MDs, Level-C, SVPs etc.....Incidentally, a new AVP just joined my department, guess what, his allowances allow him to stay at a 3-bedder at 1 Shenton

From your own posting (1st post)

From your own posting, I do not just read the sentence in its entirety, I read the whole posting, including the sentences before and after what you highlighted in bold. On the contrary, you cherry pick and left out `imagine you are a foreigner'.

And when we `imagine ourselves as a foreigner' .... housing allowances are included in the total remuneration that comes with `the current job and salary'... so who is cherry picking? If you only wish to `hear' that foreigners are only willing to pay $3000 per month for rental, then set the criteria `Junior Foreigners PMETs without or little housing allowance of < $3000' ....

Of coz, these foreigners will only be able to rent HDBs, OCR or older condos/ apts. Not those MDs, Level-C, SVPs etc.....Incidentally, a new AVP just joined my department, guess what, his allowances allow him to stay at a 3-bedder at 1 Shenton

Please go look up the meaning of foreigner before posting.

Anyway you are only worth a single vote, so I am not going to waste time arguing with you about how and what you choose to read.

Please go look up the meaning of foreigner before posting.

Anyway you are only worth a single vote, so I am not going to waste time arguing with you about how and what you choose to read.
    I checked the meaning of foreigner from dictionary

a person who comes from a foreign country; someone who does not owe allegiance to your country

But anyway since was not defined clearly.. I'll try to imagine that I'm an expat working as a CEO drawing high salary.. rather than a foreign construction worker.. So that I can poll for 10k & above..

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk
    I checked the meaning of foreigner from dictionary

a person who comes from a foreign country; someone who does not owe allegiance to your country

But anyway since was not defined clearly.. I'll try to imagine that I'm an expat working as a CEO drawing high salary.. rather than a foreign construction worker.. So that I can poll for 10k & above..
    I mention, as foreigners with your current job and salary. If you current job is not CEO, or having salary like CEO, there is not need to pretend to be one.

Anyway, majority who voted did understand my question, so I dont think there is any need discuss further.