Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Career change

Default Career change

Hi...I would like to seek all of your kind analysis, opinions and advices on my career change.

I am already 36 year old, and my salary has been stagnating at 3.5k++SGD with little chance/prospect of increasing. With high inflation within horizon and my ambitious plan of getting a Mt Sinai property, I feel I have to step out of my comfort zone to go beyond the norm.

I am considering to work as a property agent. Please kindly offer your honest opinion and view on this career change.

Please do not flame me, thanks.

but yr mentality keep saying market will crash how u do property sales ? Unless u want to lie through your teeth tell pple nonetheless to buy regardless of your beliefs ?

Sorry, my pay is almost twice yours but I never thought of even a novena / newton condo. Maybe, you need to manage your expectations

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    Hi...I would like to seek all of your kind analysis, opinions and advices on my career change.

I am already 36 year old, and my salary has been stagnating at 3.5k++SGD with little chance/prospect of increasing. With high inflation within horizon and my ambitious plan of getting a Mt Sinai property, I feel I have to step out of my comfort zone to go beyond the norm.

I am considering to work as a property agent. Please kindly offer your honest opinion and view on this career change.

I thot you bought Flamingo Valley with your Foreign Bank staff's loan rite..

How to quit ? or you did not buy FV at all and was never working in a Foreign bank ?? and you never gather your PIL and BIL and your parents under the one roof scam .. So everyone here have been trolled by you ..
    You are here to TCSS only rite ?

Quote Originally Posted by alamak
    I thot you bought Flamingo Valley with your Foreign Bank staff's loan rite..

How to quit ? or you did not buy FV at all and was never working in a Foreign bank ?? and you never gather your PIL and BIL and your parents under the one roof scam .. So everyone here have been trolled by you ..
    You are here to TCSS only rite ?
    Hi...my plan was destroyed by Soh and Ye.

Anyway, please do not flame me I am seeking geniune advice here. Thanks.

Hi...my plan was destroyed by Soh and Ye.

Anyway, please do not flame me I am seeking geniune advice here. Thanks.
    Ok. I am just letting my heat out of you .. What's Soh and Ye ?

Anyway, changing career at your age is not an ideal thing to do b'cos you lose whatever seniority and advantage you have .and think of job stability and security for your family .many things in life eg. taking care of family are more important than property dream ..and soori hor to me property agents are last resort for people who are really at dead end or lose job

...any way Cheers for your never-say-die spirit !!

Anyway, changing career at your age is not an ideal thing to do b'cos you lose whatever seniority and advantage you have .and think of job stability and security for your family .many things in life eg. taking care of family are more important than property dream ..and soori hor to me property agents are last resort for people who are really at dead end or lose job

not really, property agents make v good $, but need to work v hard, and sacrifice time with family and most important they must be street smart, I can dare say, is not for the last resort people.....and they know where are the good deals... Last I am not a property agent because I don't want to work too hard

Soh's and Ye's are the family who loves whistleblowing and making their Eco purchases known in Singapore Media platform.

Coincidentally, the Soh was exposed in the forum before but went into some form of hibernation. I believe this Soh is still actively in the forum. The Ye's probably busying his career and finding his gf for Soh to pass judgement.

So much for Soh and Ye story then.

Thanks for providing your perspective in property agent career. I will think hard over it.

What do you truly want in life? Is all you want in life is getting a Mt Sinai property? Being a property will give you a little advantage over others in terms of getting first-hand info on the availability of such property, however it will depend on how hardworking you are to be able to afford it. You will also need to invest time and effort into taking the necessary tests and certifications to become one. Ultimately, it depends on what do you want in life... ...

U are 36, too late to strike rich unless u tio toto.
    Just be good boy stay in ur hdb and be good to your family.

I was walking near SMU and saw lots of people outside NTUC with several agents outside. I thought there is a new project around the area. I understand that it was the real estate exam by CEA and the agents are trying to recruit them. You can see many young and middle age people who want to become real estate agent. Believe agent is a good career once higher level of network is being built.
    Soh's and Ye's are the family who loves whistleblowing and making their Eco purchases known in Singapore Media platform.

Coincidentally, the Soh was exposed in the forum before but went into some form of hibernation. I believe this Soh is still actively in the forum. The Ye's probably busying his career and finding his gf for Soh to pass judgement.

So much for Soh and Ye story then.

Thanks for providing your perspective in property agent career. I will think hard over it.

Your pay is marginally better than a dish washer only ($3.5k). I understand taxi drivers n crane operators earn $7k a month, so it is good time for a change to these career? Property agent may clock 0 sales for several months sometimes so it is not a job for e faint hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by Adva181
    U are 36, too late to strike rich unless u tio toto.
    Just be good boy stay in ur hdb and be good to your family.

Not really, I know an uncle who was a foreman and went into home renovation business at 50 years old. Now 60 he earns five figures a month and the business is expanding.

Many people strike riches in late life.

Another example is opposition MP Png Eng Huat. In his 50s, before he become MP, he was just running a flower shop.
    Last edited by sgbuyer; 12-05-13 at 15:41.
    狮子王 (formerly blackjack21trader): READ MY LIPS: NO MORE CRASH FOR 60 YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Your pay is marginally better than a dish washer only ($3.5k). I understand taxi drivers n crane operators earn $7k a month, so it is good time for a change to these career? Property agent may clock 0 sales for several months sometimes so it is not a job for e faint hearted.
    Hi..thanks for the suggestion. I have got my taxis license and have had tried part time. It is pretty decent though I cannot be sure if it would be the same if I go full time.

For crane operators, could you elaborate further as I am currently only holding onto class 3 license. I believe I need more than a class 3 to really consider this.

to afford mt sinai u need salary 5 digit plus lots of bonus
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Think out of the Box.

I want to travel, enjoy 4 seasons, stay in landed property, give my son a third language, give my wife a small allowance a month, free health care, want someone to pay me for my accommodation and give me extra money to spend.

Why restrict yourself in Singapore, the World is your home.

Maybe u could consider part time on property agent first and see if it is your cup of tea . At least u still have your decen job, it would be tough to manage these 2 jobs during e interim period without compromise your existing .

On side track, it a blessing to house both the parent under one root, not many of us have such blessing nor wanted to , maybe you could set your expectation accordingly ...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

You make it sounds like Novena/Newton property is cheaper than Mt. Sinai's. If he can't even buy Mt Sinai property, all the more he can't make it for Nonena/Newton property and there are many good schools clustered around Novena/Newton.

Quote Originally Posted by rosnyus
    Sorry, my pay is almost twice yours but I never thought of even a novena / newton condo. Maybe, you need to manage your expectations

Bro yowetan, you should be eternally grateful to Soh and Ye if they played a part in you not getting your purchase.
    With your kind of salary, you are better off staying in your Tiong Bahru 5 room flat.
    Do you know how many people covet to stay in your place and area?
    You are fortunate to be able to have space and good location.
    And if your unit is high floor, even better.
    So I dunno why you try so hard to want to upgrade beyond your means.

I agree you should try a career change especially now that you have not made any purchase and have more financial leeway.
    Think hard, and try to be enterprising.

Once you have found a niche and money starts rolling in then think of upgrading.
    In the meantime, be happy with what you have.
    You have a happy family and a beautiful dog.
    Do treasure all these!

Property agent is hard work and usually have to work on weekends. So you will loose your family and bonding time.

Thanks for all sincere and honest feedback and inputs.

I am actually in the so-called mid-life crisis; I feel I should have gotten more but due to whatosover reasons I am unable to reach the ideal pay scale.

Some of you are probably right setting the right expectation and clearer idea of what I really want.

Despite all odds stack against me, I feel it is not a crime to think of Mt Sinai. Hopefully it would be a motivation for me to strive harder, or perhaps strike out of the four boxes.

Soh or/and Ye is a passe...; contradiction and hypocrisy when read Ye's interview with Media. I can't help laughing when I saw Ye's short interview and I saw Soh's shadow lingering when Ye was making his interview.

I have heard of ppl doing illegal biz earning loads.

Switch to Taxi driver...I heard say that monthly income is 9K/mth if very very very hardworking and work day and nite !
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

Quote Originally Posted by CondoWE
    Switch to Taxi driver...I heard say that monthly income is 9K/mth if very very very hardworking and work day and nite !
    No energy left to enjoy the fruits of your labour... or worse, all that you earned donated to medical bills.

actually what he needs is guts. He hasn't been able to buy anything as he is fixing his mind on mt sinai.

how abt mt sophia, mt kinabalu, mt everest, mt timah ?

so many mt out there which is affordable...

also woodlands. Just go and whack a La Casa or etc....and get on with life

Just sweet talk your parents-in-law and parents to sell off fully paid HDBs, combine force to buy Mt Senile lah

They already willing to stay together under on HDB with u ... for sure selling off their own HDBs sure ok mah

If sell 3 HDBs (including your own roof) still cannot stay in Mt Senile ... case closed

This yowetan is a waste of time but i enjoy seeing how he is suffering. Low pay yet think of mt sinai. Then when found cannot afford start telling everyone crash coming. Not the kind of people i want to make friends with.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    Just sweet talk your parents-in-law and parents to sell off fully paid HDBs, combine force to buy Mt Senile lah

They already willing to stay together under on HDB with u ... for sure selling off their own HDBs sure ok mah

If sell 3 HDBs (including your own roof) still cannot stay in Mt Senile ... case closed
    That's what I told my children. although my income is much higher than yowetan claimed for himself (of course I never believe what he said), I think the landed is too far away from me. Therefore, I suggest combining all our force to buy a landed after they start to work. Still need to wait for a long time, though.

Quote Originally Posted by lionhill
    That's what I told my children. although my income is much higher than yowetan claimed for himself (of course I never believe what he said), I think the landed is too far away from me. Therefore, I suggest combining all our force to buy a landed after they start to work. Still need to wait for a long time, though.
    Unlike many people, I do not inflate or under declare my income. It is a fact that I am earning this much, which is unimpressive at my age. Again, this is beyond my control and I have been very accountable, and responsible in my job.

It is not a matter of foreign talent and I certainly do not wish to be make this subject political. At times, it is more of an opportunity and appreciation. The foreign bank I working for, is not worthy to mention of except the working hour is manageable and the scope beyond the job roles and responsibilities are nothing more or less to impress anyone. As a matter of fact, I think the boss wouldn't bother for I have personally witnessing it, the bank has been changing hands a few times.

I would attribute to lack of luck, and opportunities that I am still recieving 3.5k+++ pay cheque today. I would also like to correct misconception that people who works in bank, especially back end office are well-paid. For my peers who work in the same bank as me, most of them are getting around this range too. It is the culture and the budget the bank carries, however it is really less than desire to mention of.

Office politics, favoritisim, nepotism and nonsensical work attitude somehow somewhat thriving. As usual, hardwork is not always being recongized and rewarded.

I tot banks pay good bonus of five six months when going is good

Crash is now become more remote with recent yen carry trade boom