Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decking the balcony / planter area

Lightbulb decking the balcony / planter area

hi, I'm wondering if I could get some good advise on decking the balcony / planter area, as I'm totally clueless on this issue and I'm getting different opinions from Interior Designers...

can someone share what's the best and easy to manage as in cleaning... maintaing / up keeping of the outdoor balcony area...

I'm looking into something that is lasting, weather-proof, easy to clean, upkeep and child-friendly/safety.

1) what is the best material to use; Real Wood... Fake Wood... Fake Carpet Grass... these were some of the suggestion I have gotten from the IDs...
    wondering how much weather-proof rain / shine & near west coast (salt water from the sea) ohhh.... and mould/mewdew etc....

appreciate the sharing knowledge thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmum
    hi, I'm wondering if I could get some good advise on decking the balcony / planter area, as I'm totally clueless on this issue and I'm getting different opinions from Interior Designers...

can someone share what's the best and easy to manage as in cleaning... maintaing / up keeping of the outdoor balcony area...

I'm looking into something that is lasting, weather-proof, easy to clean, upkeep and child-friendly/safety.

1) what is the best material to use; Real Wood... Fake Wood... Fake Carpet Grass... these were some of the suggestion I have gotten from the IDs...
    wondering how much weather-proof rain / shine & near west coast (salt water from the sea) ohhh.... and mould/mewdew etc....

appreciate the sharing knowledge thank you.

Hi u can try composite deck. It is another option to natural timber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo gu
    Hi u can try composite deck. It is another option to natural timber.
    hi Mo gu, thank you for the suggestion
    by any chance are you able to elaborate more info, as in are you using it... is it easier to maintain & upkeep... "weather-proof"...

would like to learn from experience and also hoping to know what to avoid too...

hear from you soon...
    thank you

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I spoke to some people, did some research, but was none the wiser after a few weeks

I recently had to install decking for my planter. Some people recommended composite (benefit is more lasting, but a little more expensive than good natural timber), some people say there are 2 grades of Chengal (and every contractor you speak to insists that he is using the best grade), some people say go for recycled plastic lumber, etc.

In the end, I used my tenant's agent's trusted contractor for "good" Chengal. Can't remember the dimensions, but paid $1850 (quote for the recycled plastic lumber was $1700; can't remember for composite). Photos are attached. Still too soon to see if it warps, fades, etc.

As an aside, some deckings can be installed such that you can lift up several of the timber planks at a time, so you can (theoretically) use the empty space underneath the planks as storage.

by any chance are you able to elaborate more info, as in are you using it... is it easier to maintain & upkeep... "weather-proof"...

would like to learn from experience and also hoping to know what to avoid too...

hear from you soon...
    thank you

hear from you soon...
    thank you

Hi as mentioned by starrynight natural timber can be a good option too if u choose a better grade timber. Sorry not too well verse with natural timber. For my house , I just keep it clean every week by normal water mopping and use some timber polish maybe every 3 month to give the surface some minor protection. As I have sunshade ledge, it help to prevent direct rain contact. Composite is more durable but have fine grooves that is not too nice to work on. U can consider starrynight suggestion if cost is not a issue

Quote Originally Posted by Mo gu
    Hi as mentioned by starrynight natural timber can be a good option too if u choose a better grade timber. Sorry not too well verse with natural timber. For my house , I just keep it clean every week by normal water mopping and use some timber polish maybe every 3 month to give the surface some minor protection. As I have sunshade ledge, it help to prevent direct rain contact. Composite is more durable but have fine grooves that is not too nice to work on. U can consider starrynight suggestion if cost is not a issue

Sorry I mean composite deck not nice to walk on if bare footed. U can buy timber polish spray type in any DIY store

Quote Originally Posted by starrynight
    Thanks for bringing this topic up. I spoke to some people, did some research, but was none the wiser after a few weeks

I recently had to install decking for my planter. Some people recommended composite (benefit is more lasting, but a little more expensive than good natural timber), some people say there are 2 grades of Chengal (and every contractor you speak to insists that he is using the best grade), some people say go for recycled plastic lumber, etc.

In the end, I used my tenant's agent's trusted contractor for "good" Chengal. Can't remember the dimensions, but paid $1850 (quote for the recycled plastic lumber was $1700; can't remember for composite). Photos are attached. Still too soon to see if it warps, fades, etc.

As an aside, some deckings can be installed such that you can lift up several of the timber planks at a time, so you can (theoretically) use the empty space underneath the planks as storage.
    Thanks. Would you mind sharing the unit cost as well as name of the trusted contractor?

I've PM-ed you

Quote Originally Posted by poI
    Thanks. Would you mind sharing the unit cost as well as name of the trusted contractor?

hear from you soon...
    thank you

There pro n cons

Composite wood. There are various % of compress wood n plastic. Composite wood have some cons

Prone to warping coz plastic.
    Under sun it will be hot to walk on
    Scratches can't be removed coz cannot sand n varnish
    Prone to fungus spotting n look obvious on light color complisit wood
    Some cases prop quality compoisit prone to dusting ration
    It's clip together some time feel bounce is not done right

Pro
    No need polishing

Natural wood either iron or chenai wood

Cons
    Poor quality will crack or rot.
    Old Chenai are hard to get these days
    Need maintance every 2-3 yrs sand n varnish

Pro
    Look natural n chenai have nice wood grain
    Any damage can varnish or sand away.
    It's nailed down

I personally prefer natural wood also natural wood is more green coz composite wood contain plastic. So when disposed is not green as its dont bio degrade.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Hi bro starrynight, do you live in Rivergate ?

Thank you for you recommendation & feedback.
    Would like to hear more too, as in the price & source as well & of course the progress of the maintaining...

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    There pro n cons

Composite wood. There are various % of compress wood n plastic. Composite wood have some cons

Prone to warping coz plastic.
    Under sun it will be hot to walk on
    Scratches can't be removed coz cannot sand n varnish
    Prone to fungus spotting n look obvious on light color complisit wood
    Some cases prop quality compoisit prone to dusting ration
    It's clip together some time feel bounce is not done right

Pro
    No need polishing

Natural wood either iron or chenai wood

Cons
    Poor quality will crack or rot.
    Old Chenai are hard to get these days
    Need maintance every 2-3 yrs sand n varnish

Pro
    Look natural n chenai have nice wood grain
    Any damage can varnish or sand away.
    It's nailed down

I personally prefer natural wood also natural wood is more green coz composite wood contain plastic. So when disposed is not green as its dont bio degrade.
    Minority, wow (y) thank you too for the great comparison sure helps !!
    any chance you're able to share price too and source

thanks!!

I own a unit, but don't (get to) live there cos it's tenanted out

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks
    Hi bro starrynight, do you live in Rivergate ?

I own a unit, but don't (get to) live there cos it's tenanted out
    Thanks for the reply!
    Lol.... You can get to live there when the tenancy ends .

Thank you for you recommendation & feedback.
    Would like to hear more too, as in the price & source as well & of course the progress of the maintaining...

Minority, wow (y) thank you too for the great comparison sure helps !!
    any chance you're able to share price too and source

thanks!!

I am in no way associated with any of those folks but I got quotes from them b4

http://www.woodandwood.com.sg

let me find the other I used.

Another advice is remember never take up deals from those curtain wholesale.. i.e. u make curtain they sell u everything else like decking to laminate. Coz they sub con. so margin are pooer for the decking contractor so they also skim on materials. Pls later when u have problem very hard to get the people to come fix coz have to pass through the curtain supplier..
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Has anyone used royal grass or other types of false grass before?

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    I am in no way associated with any of those folks but I got quotes from them b4

http://www.woodandwood.com.sg

let me find the other I used.

Another advice is remember never take up deals from those curtain wholesale.. i.e. u make curtain they sell u everything else like decking to laminate. Coz they sub con. so margin are pooer for the decking contractor so they also skim on materials. Pls later when u have problem very hard to get the people to come fix coz have to pass through the curtain supplier..
    thank you again!! and for sharing a good tip too

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks
    Has anyone used royal grass or other types of false grass before?
    I was wondering too... an I/Designer kind of said it's not 'child-friendly/safety' as it needs cleaning due to dirt / dust traps easily...

anyone did half wood deck and half grass or tile for balcony...

really appreciate more sharing from existing owners / users and guides & tip to share and look out for, etc...

Come to think of it, has anyone even seen real grass being used in a planter?

Is maintenance the main reason for its unpopularity? Would be quite nice to feel real grass under your feet...

Come to think of it, has anyone even seen real grass being used in a planter?

Is maintenance the main reason for its unpopularity? Would be quite nice to feel real grass under your feet...
    I think drainage may be a problem.
    The roots might clog up the drainage.

Smile

any update... still unsure to do partial wooden deck for the living room first and leave the tiles (original) for the bedrooms first...

anyone can advise will it be messy if do it later on... after moving in... dislike the mess plus I do have a toddler at home

If you mean that your balcony is half tile and half planter, then might as well do all at the same time, because if you do the decking in the planter now, it will be flush with the tiles, so if you want to convert the tiled part into decking in future, you have to redo the planter portion, otherwise it will not be level. Plus the materials will be worn to different extent, etc.

any update... still unsure to do partial wooden deck for the living room first and leave the tiles (original) for the bedrooms first...

anyone can advise will it be messy if do it later on... after moving in... dislike the mess plus I do have a toddler at home

Thumbs up

If you mean that your balcony is half tile and half planter, then might as well do all at the same time, because if you do the decking in the planter now, it will be flush with the tiles, so if you want to convert the tiled part into decking in future, you have to redo the planter portion, otherwise it will not be level. Plus the materials will be worn to different extent, etc.
    hey, thanks again for the input *thumbs-up*
    think c'firm will proceed doing full decking for the balconies - mine is hall & all 3bedrms connected

As long as budget is not an issue, def much nicer to have all wooden planters and balconies without the tiled area

Show us photos when you are done!

hey, thanks again for the input *thumbs-up*
    think c'firm will proceed doing full decking for the balconies - mine is hall & all 3bedrms connected

Does anyone have experience with 100% plastic lumber?
    Saw this website http://www.wagonequipment.com.sg/products.html
    I am contemplating using it for my roof terrace as it is apparently waterproof and resistant all types of rot and mould.
    I am aware that it may sag in extremely hot weather.

u better check the use. there are problems of warping and cracking or disintegrating after some time under hot sun. Plus it will also be hot when walked on when compared to wood.

Some other consideration is Wood over time any scratches or tarnish can sand and varnish. Plastic or composite wood cannot.

Also the use of plastic lumber / Composite wood is not green. Coz when its disposed it take very long to decompose and when burn the plastic content is poisonous.

Personally I did some research in the past n decided to go with wood.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

I will still go for wood because, it look great, feel great, and they can be resurface and varnish to make them look new again.

Only got for REAL Chengal wood and to make sure they are well aged
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Maybe you can tell us what you want to do with your oversized balcony for your 474sqft unit at j gateway

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    I will still go for wood because, it look great, feel great, and they can be resurface and varnish to make them look new again.

Only got for REAL Chengal wood and to make sure they are well aged

Ringo and minority, thanks for your replies.
    Seems like wood is the popular one.
    Matured Chengai is hard to find.

Has anyone heard of Accoya?

I think I have shared previously on timber decking material. You may want to also want to look at ironwood.
    Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post
    Ringo and minority, thanks for your replies.
    Seems like wood is the popular one.
    Matured Chengai is hard to find.

Has anyone heard of Accoya?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008 View Post
    I think I have shared previously on timber decking material. You may want to also want to look at ironwood.
    Thanks, DC.
    Ironwood has the longest lifespan, but it is most costly of all.
    I will call the company and compare the prices.