Page 382 of 394 FirstFirst ... 282332372378379380381382383384385386392 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,910 of 1967

Thread: My plan to retire in Malaysia soon

Quote Originally Posted by mummy View Post
    Maybe, anyway, got an offer of S$1.63mil for my house, I am ok to sell but hubby won't. Sigh, I told him he can make all mortgage payments from now on if he doesn't want to sell.
    What sort of strange marriage relationship is this? asking the husband to make all mortgage payments from now on if he refuses to sell...and what sort of person ur?

I was, at one stage, thinking of staying in Malaysia under MM2H for retirement. I know quality of life is far more important than $ and cents to me. And in fact, I bought a very big up-market condo unit with unblock seaview with good facilities for this purpose. Car is so much cheaper and of course much much bigger space. On top, I bought a few more units for investment as well.

First thing, I did was, went to the market and look at the seafood.......just one visit to the best local market and this is extremely critical...I live to eat and not eat to live.

Next, look at what can I do during my spare time....

And, what about my circle of friends....and relatives..

also, how often I need to come back to Singapore...

and, when I go overseas, how many direct flights I can take from the local airport....

All in all, you can read my decision.

Don't think there is anything wrong since mummy is the one earning a salary and paying the mortgage. Own stay property is after all an "expense" and if the family can ill afford to stay in a landed, then they should not stretch themselves and then have to slough for life (or expect mummy to slough while the husband shake leg)............

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    What sort of strange marriage relationship is this? asking the husband to make all mortgage payments from now on if he refuses to sell...and what sort of person ur?

I was, at one stage, thinking of staying in Malaysia under MM2H for retirement. I know quality of life is far more important than $ and cents to me. And in fact, I bought a very big up-market condo unit with unblock seaview with good facilities for this purpose. Car is so much cheaper and of course much much bigger space. On top, I bought a few more units for investment as well.

First thing, I did was, went to the market and look at the seafood.......just one visit to the best local market and this is extremely critical...I live to eat and not eat to live.

Next, look at what can I do during my spare time....

And, what about my circle of friends....and relatives..

also, how often I need to come back to Singapore...

and, when I go overseas, how many direct flights I can take from the local airport....

All in all, you can read my decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by mummy View Post
    Maybe, anyway, got an offer of S$1.63mil for my house, I am ok to sell but hubby won't. Sigh, I told him he can make all mortgage payments from now on if he doesn't want to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Don't think there is anything wrong since mummy is the one earning a salary and paying the mortgage. Own stay property is after all an "expense" and if the family can ill afford to stay in a landed, then they should not stretch themselves and then have to slough for life (or expect mummy to slough while the husband shake leg)............

Yup..I know my tone is strong....

If my spouse said that to me...that is....I have no such thing as "your money" vs "my money"...that is how I view marriage

May be your spouse more responsible? So it really vary from family to family...........
    In mummy's case, any responsible spouse would support mummy to just sell the house and both can retire and smell the roses.................
    If mummy still need to service the loan of a few properties, thing will never change: mummy have to slough, while her spouse currently shake leg........

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    If my spouse said that to me...that is....I have no such thing as "your money" vs "my money"...that is how I view marriage

Hi mummy, being a mom myself, perhaps it is good to talk to your hubby, kids and parents to see where everyone stands in this? Moving to Malaysia is a collective decision. True, that place has transformed a lot. But some stuffs in life are not binary. Perhaps it is the timing that is off right now? If you wait 6-8 years after your kid has completed A levels and enlisted in the army, moving over on a permanent basis will no longer be that much an issue?

Good international schools (e.g. Marlborough) do not come cheap, all in costs around SGD 35-65k (basic fees, excluding incrementals such as boarding and insurance) per year depending on age of kid. Things may not work out cheaper, unless u are looking at the less known schools. My two cents.