Page 3 of 99 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: My plan to retire in Malaysia soon

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    frankly speaking it all depends on what your expectation is ... just don't expect everything to be the same, u gain some u lose some

one may be contented with kopitiam kopi, the next guy will want min Toast box, the next guy may want Boncafe, the next guy may want Italian Illy coffee, the next guy will not accept anything with top-notch espresso machine and $100 organic coffee
    It is okay, fun to ding dong the views.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    By 2030 you will know.
    I know the reasons and this is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by p3nboy
    I know the reasons and this is sad.
    The PRs tend to react more efficiently than Singaporeans to changes, as by definition, they are not citizens but are residing in Singapore due to the attractiveness. Once the PRs from Malaysia start to pull back to Johor to buy houses there, you know the balance is starting to tilt.

The PRs tend to react more efficiently than Singaporeans to changes, as by definition, they are not citizens but are residing in Singapore due to the attractiveness. Once the PRs from Malaysia start to pull back to Johor to buy houses there, you know the balance is starting to tilt.
    Msian PRs tends to buy properties in their respective home town only.

Quote Originally Posted by p3nboy
    Msian PRs tends to buy properties in their respective home town only.
    Maybe. Those that I know bought landed houses in Iskandar, even though they are from KL.

My parents actually became Singapore citizens when in their 20s and so I am a Singaporean. I believe there should be many like myself with family/relatives in Malaysia. There are already many Malaysian PRs buying houses or renting in JB I believe and with the new rules against them, I think more will do so as they do not have the foreigner minimum RM$500000 limit against them I believe.

I think having RM10k is safer in malaysia. Not sure about retiring in johor, i would actually recommend expat areas in KL like mont kiara, bangsar and damansara hts where you will be among a community of like-minded people and security in these areas is super tight. Anyway, since u already bought JB, all the best to your new life there.

Quote Originally Posted by mummy
    Hi, just want to share my plan to retire or semiretire soon in jb and get opinions from u guys.
    I have a terrace house now and a mm unit top in 2016. If I can rent out both, it can give me a passive income of about $3000 sing dollars which can sustain my family in malaysia. Just bought a semi d in jb Austin area, gated and guarded, just besides international and local schools which my 2 sons can go to. The sing rental can also cover its mortgage. When I need more money for uni edu for my sons or retirement, I can sell my terrace house. Really tired of working and things being so expensive here. Hopefully my plan can come true. What do u gurus think?

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    I think having RM10k is safer in malaysia. Not sure about retiring in johor, i would actually recommend expat areas in KL like mont kiara, bangsar and damansara hts where you will be among a community of like-minded people and security in these areas is super tight. Anyway, since u already bought JB, all the best to your new life there.
    Thanks for your well wishes. Probably won't live there so soon as MM is still yet to TOP (TOP in 2016) and RTS yet to be built(supposedly by 2018). Bought JB as close to Singapore as I will likely semi-retire first as I am still quite young at 38 years old.

My parents actually became Singapore citizens when in their 20s and so I am a Singaporean. I believe there should be many like myself with family/relatives in Malaysia. There are already many Malaysian PRs buying houses or renting in JB I believe and with the new rules against them, I think more will do so as they do not have the foreigner minimum RM$500000 limit against them I believe.

YEs there are many whos father or grandfathers are from Malaysia or china. that's normal. we are all immigrants descendent after all.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Thanks for your well wishes. Probably won't live there so soon as MM is still yet to TOP (TOP in 2016) and RTS yet to be built(supposedly by 2018). Bought JB as close to Singapore as I will likely semi-retire first as I am still quite young at 38 years old.

Actually KL with the KLIA Express makes it quite accessable from the airport. Taking away the pain of driving into the jam pack city.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Note the portion and quality.

factor in the hassle of commute to JB too. and the constant need to watch ur car in case it get jacked.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

I also know singaporean who buy in london , KL, BKK and even Shanghai too. tis a globalizationof world these days.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Actually I am the opposite of TS. I am planning to retire in Singapore. I am from JB but have spent most of my life in sg.

There are pro and cons living in JB. But I have experienced more cons.

There are no laws protecting even the local. It is a cowboy town. You are on your own.

I remember when I was younger, our house was broken in a couple of times. After that we fortified the whole house with high walls, alarm. My next-door neighbors even had their own guards and guard dogs.

But nothing stopped them. The last straw was when I saw the burglar on the roof. We called the police but they never show up. My father moved us into a condo. But still, we decided to move to Singapore.

Concurrently, we bought Leisure farm, thinking it will be a nice weekend home. However, we never actually have the time to go back as a family. It was left vacant for 4 years. I sold it after much repair work (the roof leak, termite infestation) and high maintenance.

We even bought Waterfront City. A grand vision but everything fell apart. The developer went bust. We have paid in full for the property, but it is still under master title. It is 99-lease hold and I think more than 10 years has gone by.

We never look back and we continue investing in Singapore.

Iskandar looks promising now but I believe history will repeat again. JB’s future is very much dependent on Singapore. We never know when the next economic downturn will follow. If it happens this time, it would hit JB hard. There are too many properties being built now.

I remember in 2008 our condo dropped to 1/3 its value.

These are just my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer
    Actually I am the opposite of TS. I am planning to retire in Singapore. I am from JB but have spent most of my life in sg.

There are no laws protecting even the local. It is a cowboy town. You are on your own.

I remember when I was younger, our house was broken in a couple of times. After that we fortified the whole house with high walls, alarm. My next-door neighbors even had their own guards and guard dogs.

But nothing stopped them. The last straw was when I saw the burglar on the roof. We called the police but they never show up. My father moved us into a condo. But still, we decided to move to Singapore.

Concurrently, we bought Leisure farm, thinking it will be a nice weekend home. However, we never actually have the time to go back as a family. It was left vacant for 4 years. I sold it after much repair work (the roof leak, termite infestation) and high maintenance.

We even bought Waterfront City. A grand vision but everything fell apart. The developer went bust. We have paid in full for the property, but it is still under master title. It is 99-lease hold and I think more than 10 years has gone by.

Iskandar looks promising now but I believe history will repeat again. JB’s future is very much dependent on Singapore. We never know when the next economic downturn will follow. If it happens this time, it would hit JB hard. There are too many properties being built now.

Thanks for your wonderful sharing.

I also have friends from KL whom would choose to retire in SG rather in Malaysia, again security is top of the list. Nonetheless, it doesnt stop me from having an OPTION to be able to retire in another place other than SG, in this case, KL (specifically, KLCC area 5 star condo, again for tight security and plenty of ammenities and plentiful of connection to Singapore). Cost of living is cheaper in KL compared to JB, go ask any malaysians if dont believe.

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer

finally, an ex-cowboy shared his true experience

assuming u are a lady and hubby overseas, your car breaks down in the middle of the night in JB vs in Singapore ... what is your fear index?

imo, Penang or Ipoh are probably much better place to retire
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Hmm, you guys are really quite anti-JB huh? Just wondering how are the retirement villages planned in Iskandar going to take off if all Singaporeans think like that.
    I guess for me I still have an option of renting out the place then and selling it later. But I think the crime situation is actually improving and many expatriates are actually buying or renting houses in Nusajaya already. The high rental for a small space just doesn't make much sense to them (nor to me sometimes, hence I don't want to rely on MM rental too much).
    I wouldn't be driving alone at night without my husband anyway even in Singapore, I would also be afraid. There are also many scary crime stories in Singapore recently.
    My place is actually full of Malaysian upper middle class Chinese so I can blend in better and not be such an obvious Singaporean target hopefully.

Default Should have this in every estate... police armed with shotguns. Fweel damn safe

The South Sea Seafood Restaurant in Kampung Baru Subang, located just outside KL, hired an armed guard to avoid being a target for robbers. -- PHOTO: THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

Just my relatives alone, over the years, 3 of my aunties were robbed, car jacked. One had her home broken into. Looks like a tornado aftermath.

1 uncle got robbed at work.

I even had a friend's friend who tenanted her shophouse. The tenant did not pay rent. But what was shocking was the tenant burned her shophouse down. :scared-

I was robbed too when I was in P4. Kind of scary to think of it.

My friend went out for supper which almost cost his life. Someone chased him with a gun. But luckily escaped.

@DayDreamer ... are u daydreaming all the horror stories
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    @DayDreamer ... are u daydreaming all the horror stories
    U made me burst out laughing. I was just thinking the same thing!

Page 3 of 99 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast