Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: My plan to retire in Malaysia soon

Hmm, also wondering if some of you might be property agents so trying to dissuade pple from semi retiring in jb as if more pole do that, it will affect yr jobs.

mummy's mind is already fixed. so just let it be.

but I am surprised you listen so much and trust your agent so much.

anyway, we not anti jb, Malaysia boleh! have a great semi retirement!

ppl tell u because they care for your safety....why take your chances?? even the minister house was broken into, didn't u read the news?? now they have to hire ppl with gun while u dine!!! these are all facts...
    this kind of environment, wa, serious. especially with kids and old ppl around.
    the worst is, you don't even know who is robber, who is not....
    u think they go check whether u rich or not before they rob u?

guarded so what? even in condo, i ever heard this, a family go for holiday and when they came back, not even the furniture was left...can you imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by mummy
    I am not that rich and I haven't heard much about break in to singaporean's homes in jb. I know I have to be more careful but I believe if we don't flaunt our wealth and try to blend in with the locals, it shouldn't be that bad.
    Last edited by lajia; 4th July 2013 at 10:06 PM.

TS, it appears from your posts that you have already made your decision. You need ppl now in a forum to validate your choice?

Quote Originally Posted by lajia
    ppl tell u because they care for your safety....why take your chances?? even the minister house was broken into, didn't u read the news?? now they have to hire ppl with gun while u dine!!! these are all facts...
    this kind of environment, wa, serious. especially with kids and old ppl around.
    the worst is, you don't even know who is police, who is not....
    u think they go check whether u rich or not before they rob u?

guarded so what? even in condo, i ever heard this, a family go for holiday and when they came back, not even the furniture was left...can you imagine?
    Ok lah, I very touched, thanks for caring for my safety. Anyway, still some years off before my mm top and rts up, will see how then.

Quote Originally Posted by S0undwave
    TS, it appears from your posts that you have already made your decision. You need ppl now in a forum to validate your choice?
    Not really made up my mind, just want more opinions if it is a good idea. But also want to share there are other options other than chasing condos in spore.

Why you think is not a good idea to get education in JB le? There are good quality intentional schools here. TS mentioned about putting her kids in international school NOT the JB public school. She also mentioned about sending her kids oversea. So, no problem wa

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Do consider whether education in JB is really good for your children. Better visit the schools first and check out the quality of education, then plan their education pathway to university. If things are okay, then just go ahead. In my humble opinion, staying in JB while you have schooling children is not a good choice. Their security is another thing to watch out for. Simply put it, you may not be able to semi-retire in Johor if you take your schooling children into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by felicia_sg
    Why you think is not a good idea to get education in JB le? There are good quality intentional schools here. TS mentioned about putting her kids in international school NOT the JB public school. She also mentioned about sending her kids oversea. So, no problem wa
    Good international schools in JB will cost u an arm and a leg. Definitely not what she wanted to be in JB one first place i.e. lower cost of living.

I have properties in SG n JB n have researched quite a bit on both sides. If good I will say good, not good I will say not good. Retirement in Singapore cost wise not good bcoz u can get more nutritious n authentic ingredients in what u eat in JB. Education in Singapore is good bcoz they r highly subsidised by e government. Sometimes it makes u wonder if u r a calf fattened to grow up strong n healthy to become a cow so tt u can be milked to e max.

Thanks for the support! Are u from Malaysia? Have austin heights international school right outside my estate, considering that. Or even Chinese local schools whose standards I heard are pretty high but may have to enrol in mm2h for that. With educity coming up, I may not even have to send them overseas or I can still opt for Singapore uni can't I?

Hyernergix, I really surprised that you think education in Singapore is good! Do you have a school going kid or not? It's only good provided you are belly the RICH who can afford to hire good tutor who charges $100-200 per hour/per subject for primary level in Singapore. You need to fork out $5-10K per month on Tuition/various enrichment classes to enable your children to stay ahead of their peers.

Aim to get above average performance in school, you still need to get some tuition/enrichment classes which costs about $1-3K per month. This is not cheap either.

In summary, the education in Singapore does cost you an arm and a leg!

Recently, one of my friend moved to Horizon Hill for her son's education in an international school ( Marlborough) after doing all the sums. She has to fork out SGD3K per month on tuition in Singapore for her P3 son and she is spending much lesser now in her son's education in Marlborough for her son' level. Marlborough is the most expensive international school in JB and it is a full school. The kid go to school for the whole day and the best part is there NO homework at home and all done in school. Of course, there is NO tuition at all. If they are weak, the teacher will have a separate session with the kids who need more coaching...but all done in school including CCAs. The kids are VERY happy and no stress for the parent too.

If you think Marborough is ex, there are other like Excelsior in Sri alam (mmumy, you can consider this)

The irony part of Singapore education system is that the pupil is actually learning all their academic stuffs in tuition/enrichment but doing revision in Singapore public school. The school teaches much lesser than what they expect them to achieve in PSLE!!

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Good international schools in JB will cost u an arm and a leg. Definitely not what she wanted to be in JB one first place i.e. lower cost of living.

I have properties in SG n JB n have researched quite a bit on both sides. If good I will say good, not good I will say not good. Retirement in Singapore cost wise not good bcoz u can get more nutritious n authentic ingredients in what u eat in JB. Education in Singapore is good bcoz they r highly subsidised by e government. Sometimes it makes u wonder if u r a calf fattened to grow up strong n healthy to become a cow so tt u can be milked to e max.

.....hahaha, the forumer here write stories worse than TCS scriptwriters......all kind of grandfather stories lah mummy...."I was robbed in P4"...that one take the cake....I sold all my properties...many properties....and I am only in my 30s....might as well say you own hotels.....you bought the properties when you were in P6 is it.....or you sold too early and now regret....even in SG same lah......Crime alert all over the place liao.....dielah.....maybe should move to where ah?
    “Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful.” - Warren Buffet

Hi, just want to share my plan to retire or semiretire soon in jb and get opinions from u guys.
    I have a terrace house now and a mm unit top in 2016. If I can rent out both, it can give me a passive income of about $3000 sing dollars which can sustain my family in malaysia. Just bought a semi d in jb Austin area, gated and guarded, just besides international and local schools which my 2 sons can go to. The sing rental can also cover its mortgage. When I need more money for uni edu for my sons or retirement, I can sell my terrace house. Really tired of working and things being so expensive here. Hopefully my plan can come true. What do u gurus think?
    Am not a guru, but brave move since the biggest challenge is getting your kids education settled. Wish you all the best

Sorry, I'm not sure if you can enroll your kids in those Chinese local schools. I have relatives in Malaysia. From what they told me is that those schools are like Singapore public school, need to attend tuition/enrichment classes to stay ahead of their peers. (they have 1000 pupils in one cohort and there are about 48-50 students in a class! so, you can imagine the competition and stress level!)

Thanks for the support! Are u from Malaysia? Have austin heights international school right outside my estate, considering that. Or even Chinese local schools whose standards I heard are pretty high but may have to enrol in mm2h for that. With educity coming up, I may not even have to send them overseas or I can still opt for Singapore uni can't I?

Hyernergix, I really surprised that you think education in Singapore is good! Do you have a school going kid or not? It's only good provided you are belly the RICH who can afford to hire good tutor who charges $100-200 per hour/per subject for primary level in Singapore. You need to fork out $5-10K per month on Tuition/various enrichment classes to enable your children to stay ahead of their peers.

Aim to get above average performance in school, you still need to get some tuition/enrichment classes which costs about $1-3K per month. This is not cheap either.

In summary, the education in Singapore does cost you an arm and a leg!

Recently, one of my friend moved to Horizon Hill for her son's education in an international school ( Marlborough) after doing all the sums. She has to fork out SGD3K per month on tuition in Singapore for her P3 son and she is spending much lesser now in her son's education in Marlborough for her son' level. Marlborough is the most expensive international school in JB and it is a full school. The kid go to school for the whole day and the best part is there NO homework at home and all done in school. Of course, there is NO tuition at all. If they are weak, the teacher will have a separate session with the kids who need more coaching...but all done in school including CCAs. The kids are VERY happy and no stress for the parent too.

If you think Marborough is ex, there are other like Excelsior in Sri alam (mmumy, you can consider this)

The irony part of Singapore education system is that the pupil is actually learning all their academic stuffs in tuition/enrichment but doing revision in Singapore public school. The school teaches much lesser than what they expect them to achieve in PSLE!!

3K for tuition?....you are exaggerating right? My kids did ok without tuition....cannot deny education in sg better, International school no stress...everyone happy but not sure if you will be happy when get the results...
    “Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful.” - Warren Buffet

You kids did OK without tuition? what does "OK" means? Do you coach them or NOT. It's either parents who can coach them or those who does not have times, they will engage tuition lo. I'm not exaggerating because this is what I'm seeing and experiencing now at least in my kid's school. I didn't say all 3K, I said $1-3K for above average performance (like maybe within top 10% in the whole cohort).

I'm not exaggerating the tuition charge rate, those good one is really charging $100-200 per hr per subject. They are very effective!

Quote Originally Posted by dare2
    3K for tuition?....you are exaggerating right? My kids did ok without tuition....cannot deny education in sg better, International school no stress...everyone happy but not sure if you will be happy when get the results...

Hope you don't mind that I just share my cents opinion.

I am Malaysian and educated there. Work in Sg for 12 years. I think you have been discussing 2 issues which are safety and education.

Lets talk about safety first. No country is as safe as Singapore. I can't deny it. As for JB (JB is my home town), the security is really deteriorated in these few years. But I always believe that no matter where you are. You just need to know what to do and what not to do. Where to go and where not to go. After you stay in jb long enough, you will naturally learn it. As for retirement, I presume that only middle class and below Singaporean will retire there. As long as you don't purposely show off you luxury car, big diamond ring or holding big sum of cash to give to your children in public. Should be ok. Small theft sure have 1 la. But in term of cost of living and environment, it might be worth to sacrifice your "show off" life. Those thing that I mention above. I have seem it many time in jb. Last week, I saw a Singapore open top sport car in jb around 1 am. For me, they get rob is their stupidity. Don't blame ppl.

As for education, the student in Malaysia is not like in Sg. Teacher need to report to parent for their performance and etc. in Malaysia school, if you wan to study then you do. If you don't wan to study, that's your own biz. Teacher won't care. So Malaysia student (I mean good one) take a lot of initiative. When I were student, my teacher can disappear for 1 week and come back with exam answer write on the black board. Ha! In fact, a lot of Malaysian holding high post in mnc and successful biz man. So I conclude that study is really depend on individual instead of school. Maybe now the time has changed. I don't know.

I meet a Singaporean friend not long ago. He got the PR in Malaysia and he told me the best thing is the medical fee. Especially those old ppl who need long term medication, your medicine is totally free of charge.

My plan is buy few properties in Sg. When old then go back jb for retirement. The rental income should be able to support my living exp even my children don't wan to feed me.. Haha

Good night

International school no standards. coz they have to normalized for everyone. Have u seen the problem kids from those schools. lots of spoil brats.

I dont see what's wrong with the local system. all kpkb system no good. but we are all the product of this system.

so funny to read people who own properties and made $ from the system and benefited from the education kpkb .. lol

Maybe they prefer to be in Malaysia where they are treated as 2nd class and grow up in kapong stirring kaya.

Maybe then they would have wished for a better education system.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

.....hahaha, the forumer here write stories worse than TCS scriptwriters......all kind of grandfather stories lah mummy...."I was robbed in P4"...that one take the cake....I sold all my properties...many properties....and I am only in my 30s....might as well say you own hotels.....you bought the properties when you were in P6 is it.....or you sold too early and now regret....even in SG same lah......Crime alert all over the place liao.....dielah.....maybe should move to where ah?
    I am not discouraging Singporeans to make JB their second home. However, security is a real concern. Do consider this trade off carefully!

I am not proud to publicize my families' and friends' mishaps. It is not funny and I am quite traumatized.

Do you want your 10 year old to be taken, shoveled and threatened? It happened to me and it felt very real. I would never want this for my kids.

Correction, I sold most of my properties in Malaysia but bought more in sg.

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer
    I am not discouraging Singporeans to make JB their second home. However, security is a real concern. Do consider this trade off carefully!

I am not proud to publicize my families' and friends' mishaps. It is not funny and I am quite traumatized.

Do you want your 10 year old to be taken, shoveled and threatened? It happened to me and it felt very real. I would never want this for my kids.

Correction, I sold most of my properties in Malaysia but bought more in sg.
    just ignore dare2, no need to bother replying his post. another morph of Mr B.

Maybe u should just shaft your stupid mouth up your ass..LOL
    Like i said, u have poor upbringing..Pity your mother n father!

Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast