Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waterfront condominium sails into troubled waters

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    I have given this some thoughts..

in US ..all new apt windows open inward.. and probably 10 deg wide only ..
    at the widest part, an infant head cant go through..thats for safety reasons.

I live on 31st flr... unblock view from 8th ave to Hudson river.. the wind is super strong.. sometimes.. it takes 2 adults to push the window before we could lock it...

I think in spore.. windows open outward.. and can open Beyond 90 deg..
    Sail being high rise ... theres a chance windows are left open max .. and on a day with strong wind .... it could open beyond 90 deg... and damaging the window frame and joints..

as to the surrounding office buildings..no such problems ... they don't have windows and even there are ..they don't open them .. hence less chance of damages
    Can't commend for the majority of condos here, however my 2 condos are both above 30flr, one is using sliding windows and another, just like you have mentioned, can only open 10deg outwards. My take is safety aspects should have taken into consideration in signapore condo design for approval.

Quote Originally Posted by flxcat View Post
    Can't commend for the majority of condos here, however my 2 condos are both above 30flr, one is using sliding windows and another, just like you have mentioned, can only open 10deg outwards. My take is safety aspects should have taken into consideration in signapore condo design for approval.

when I first moved to Manhattan ..I was like "WTF" ...why the window opens inward and only this wide...

after winter came... I really appreciate the design..

for one thing... you really don't want to stick your arms out at -15 deg Celsius to pull the windows back in ...

You believe me (a resident) or someone (reporter) who doesn't stay there?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Oh is it? Strange, the straits times article below says it is glass shattering and falling down.

those agents too cowboy, try to maximise yield and didn't even realise there's this short stay clause.

when I first moved to Manhattan ..I was like "WTF" ...why the window opens inward and only this wide...

after winter came... I really appreciate the design..

for one thing... you really don't want to stick your arms out at -15 deg Celsius to pull the windows back in ...
    do u have to close the windows when it rains? since it will drip inside?

Have a high floor condo apt in singapore which has similar feature that prevents window from opening beyond certain angle. It is quite common in new condos here too.

I live on 31st flr... unblock view from 8th ave to Hudson river.. the wind is super strong.. sometimes.. it takes 2 adults to push the window before we could lock it...

Sail being high rise ... theres a chance windows are left open max .. and on a day with strong wind .... it could open beyond 90 deg... and damaging the window frame and joints..

as to the surrounding office buildings..no such problems ... they don't have windows and even there are ..they don't open them .. hence less chance of damages

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Since you are a residence of The Sail, can you confirm if all The Sail's windows open inward.. and probably 10-20 deg wide only ..
    at the widest part, an infant head cant go through..thats for safety reason

I thought condo nowaday all has this design? no?

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    You believe me (a resident) or someone (reporter) who doesn't stay there?

The windows open outwards. Not inwards. You have to push it outwards and it will lock into position.

At opened position, the gap is about 15 to 20cm. Maybe the infant can still drop down since 20cm is quite a gap. But I don't think it is an issue. I mean look at HDB windows. They can open very wide and an infant will die by dropping from 2nd floor. You don't need an infant to drop from 15 floors to die. Not all condo have this design. It depends. Newer condos that are 20 floors high have 90 degrees opening or even more.

Since you are a residence of The Sail, can you confirm if all The Sail's windows open inward.. and probably 10-20 deg wide only ..
    at the widest part, an infant head cant go through..thats for safety reason

I thought condo nowaday all has this design? no?

apparently, CDL do not think is their fault either

www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/problems-marina-bay-condo-developer-replies-20130911

Problems at Marina Bay condo: Developer replies
    SUNDAY'S article ("Condo sails into troubled waters") did not capture some pertinent information. As a result, readers may not have been presented with an accurate picture, placing the developer in a disadvantaged position.
    Glengary, a subsidiary of City Developments, has had no involvement in running The Sail@Marina Bay since handing over the property to the management corporation strata title (MCST) in June 2010.
    The MCST is responsible for regular maintenance, management and general upkeep of the property, pursuant to the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act.
    The article highlighted ongoing disputes within the council and how the standards of repair and estate management are not in keeping with residents' expectations. We understand that the council has had at least three different managing agents. Another will start work next month.
    The "unsightly" temporary pipe was not installed by Glengary but by the MCST itself. The cause of the burst pipe has yet to be determined, as acknowledged by the MCST.
    Many factors could have contributed to it, and it is unwarranted to blame the developer before the cause is established.
    Notwithstanding that this property had already been handed over three years ago, out of goodwill, Glengary arranged for The Sail's internationally established main contractor to assist in the investigation of the underground burst pipe. A proposed work schedule and method statement for the investigation were presented to the MCST.
    The aesthetically designed glass skylight complies with all building and safety codes.
    When Glengary was managing the property, there were incidents of damage to the tempered glass due to "killer litter" thrown from the upper floors. The damaged panels were promptly replaced.
    Killer litter prevention requires constant education and enforcement for residents who live in high-rise buildings. We understand that in November 2010, a circular was issued to all residents to warn them of the seriousness of killer litter.
    As a responsible and reputable developer, we have gone the extra mile to attend to the MCST post-handover of the property. We urge the MCST to act in the best interest of its residents.
    Belinda Lee (Ms)
    Head, Corporate Communications
    On behalf of Glengary (A subsidiary of City Developments)
    Developer of The Sail@Marina Bay

Quote Originally Posted by taggy View Post
    apparently, CDL do not think is their fault either

www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/problems-marina-bay-condo-developer-replies-20130911

Problems at Marina Bay condo: Developer replies
    SUNDAY'S article ("Condo sails into troubled waters") did not capture some pertinent information. As a result, readers may not have been presented with an accurate picture, placing the developer in a disadvantaged position.
    Glengary, a subsidiary of City Developments, has had no involvement in running The Sail@Marina Bay since handing over the property to the management corporation strata title (MCST) in June 2010.
    The MCST is responsible for regular maintenance, management and general upkeep of the property, pursuant to the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act.
    The article highlighted ongoing disputes within the council and how the standards of repair and estate management are not in keeping with residents' expectations. We understand that the council has had at least three different managing agents. Another will start work next month.
    The "unsightly" temporary pipe was not installed by Glengary but by the MCST itself. The cause of the burst pipe has yet to be determined, as acknowledged by the MCST.
    Many factors could have contributed to it, and it is unwarranted to blame the developer before the cause is established.
    Notwithstanding that this property had already been handed over three years ago, out of goodwill, Glengary arranged for The Sail's internationally established main contractor to assist in the investigation of the underground burst pipe. A proposed work schedule and method statement for the investigation were presented to the MCST.
    The aesthetically designed glass skylight complies with all building and safety codes.
    When Glengary was managing the property, there were incidents of damage to the tempered glass due to "killer litter" thrown from the upper floors. The damaged panels were promptly replaced.
    Killer litter prevention requires constant education and enforcement for residents who live in high-rise buildings. We understand that in November 2010, a circular was issued to all residents to warn them of the seriousness of killer litter.
    As a responsible and reputable developer, we have gone the extra mile to attend to the MCST post-handover of the property. We urge the MCST to act in the best interest of its residents.
    Belinda Lee (Ms)
    Head, Corporate Communications
    On behalf of Glengary (A subsidiary of City Developments)
    Developer of The Sail@Marina Bay
    Obviously they denied responsibilties for this instant becos by their admission mean their reputation is at stake;that they are building lousy unsafe structures and who still dare to buy from them? at a side note,they had raked in fortune enough to survive thro the bitter times.

In fact, the real landmark case will be The Seaview.
    Bring Wheelock, Tiong Aik, RSP to court.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    In fact, the real landmark case will be The Seaview.
    Bring Wheelock, Tiong Aik, RSP to court.
    Since 2011, any updates? wonder how much spent on legal liao.

Ultimate winners are the lawyers.

CDL also involved in another case, Emery point.

from the article:
    http://www.ocbcresearch.com/Article....09090321_79834

CDL settles lawsuit. It was reported yesterday that City Developments Limited (CDL) was one of eight defendants named in a lawsuit filed by Emory Point residents. Emory Point is a freehold development by CDL consisting of 18 stories of 51 units in the Tanjong Katong area and was completed in 2003. The residents alleged that CDL was aware of defects in 17 areas during the period from 2003 to 2007 and only attempted cosmetic patch repairs as a delay tactic while waiting for relevant warranties to expire. The alleged defects include a leaking basement carpark, cracks in walls and lift lobbies with ceilings damaged by rainwater. The residents seek approximately $0.6m in compensation. This morning, the media reported that the CDL and other defendants have settled the lawsuit with Emory Point residents.

beware of delay tactics so that warranties expire.

One shenton also. Just wait and see. Up and coming lawsuit.

A couple has discontinued rental at one shenton and rented my place were complaining about so many things falling apart within 2 years. They are not cheap to replace/repair too.
    One shenton also. Just wait and see. Up and coming lawsuit.

The Sails residents can't win CDL developer. CDL can afford to drag the case but don't think the residents can. Best now for residents is sell before it got worse. $250k of legal war chest is far too little, u r against big player. Legal cost will amount to millions. See who can tahan.

Interesting. But it is common for all older buildings to have windows that can open out 90 degrees. We know that The Sail's window cannot open out totally 90 degrees, only some degrees, so it is not as bad as those other older buildings of 30-36 storeys and yet with windows that can open out 90 degrees. Still, we don't hear that any building has more than 10 windows shattered like The Sail has within 5 years since TOP. So there is more than that....

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    do u have to close the windows when it rains? since it will drip inside?

yes of course but then again rain is not common and usually not heavy ...but drizzle

No offence to owners but CDL finishing is quite poor in recent yrs. It is a shame this project is no exception when its location and façade is distinctly top notch. CDL will likely settle out of court, it is cheaper and there is little point in subjecting its own souring reputation to further unnecessary 'limelight'.

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post
    The Sails residents can't win CDL developer. CDL can afford to drag the case but don't think the residents can. Best now for residents is sell before it got worse. $250k of legal war chest is far too little, u r against big player. Legal cost will amount to millions. See who can tahan.
    The longer the case drags on, the worse the impact is for CDL. CDL will surely try their best to settle out of court....
    For a company that built their reputation on quality, this is indeed a shame....
    I hope something good comes out of this...

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post
    DKSG is looking for a unit there. please PM him
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

The problem is with the glass roof. If someone accidentally drop something down from 30th floor, it will shattered the glass.

Interesting. But it is common for all older buildings to have windows that can open out 90 degrees. We know that The Sail's window cannot open out totally 90 degrees, only some degrees, so it is not as bad as those other older buildings of 30-36 storeys and yet with windows that can open out 90 degrees. Still, we don't hear that any building has more than 10 windows shattered like The Sail has within 5 years since TOP. So there is more than that....

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad View Post
    You should see the comments on Sail on propertyguru.com. Not even one good comment. All comments are vitriolic and scathing.

This place is falling apart and the owners are going to lose a bundle. Basically the CBD is full of such white elephants, nice to look at from the outside but inside shit is literally under your feet and over your head.

I won't pay even $800 psf for this shitty place.
    Of course u wont...u already missed it....but others will...

Eh, I offer $900psf for a unit here. Any takers?
    With Jurong hitting $1700psf, i would take this place even if it's $1000psf

Originally Posted by stalingrad
    You should see the comments on Sail on propertyguru.com. Not even one good comment. All comments are vitriolic and scathing.

This place is falling apart and the owners are going to lose a bundle. Basically the CBD is full of such white elephants, nice to look at from the outside but inside shit is literally under your feet and over your head.

I won't pay even $800 psf for this shitty place

3k psf, I sell to you

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157 View Post
    Eh, I offer $900psf for a unit here. Any takers?
    With Jurong hitting $1700psf, i would take this place even if it's $1000psf

Originally Posted by stalingrad

I won't pay even $800 psf for this shitty place

3k psf, I sell to you
    mai lah, let's compromise. $1200psf - i'm offering 50% more than stalingrad leh

Hahaha... He has been mocking at properties since the bull market since 2009. But this kind of people, $600 psf also he won't buy one. He hoping for $400 psf.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157 View Post
    mai lah, let's compromise. $1200psf - i'm offering 50% more than stalingrad leh

Hahaha... He has been mocking at properties since the bull market since 2009. But this kind of people, $600 psf also he won't buy one. He hoping for $400 psf.
    I thought his identity was already exposed? hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by august View Post
    I thought his identity was already exposed? hehe.
    I have been exposed to be a genius. I said many years ago that CCR has not place to go but down, and OCR will boom like a rocket. I was proven right in every sense of the word.

Give you another 10 years & you can then come back to tell me whether it is still true or not....... As we know, property just move in cycles, OCR phenomenon is just temporary, smart people would be selling OCR & change to CCR at that kind of price!

You have PHD so you can't be smart. PHD stands for Permanent Head Damage right?

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad View Post
    I have been exposed to be a genius. I said many years ago that CCR has not place to go but down, and OCR will boom like a rocket. I was proven right in every sense of the word.