Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: property tax

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post
    https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/page04.aspx?id=2378

Property tax is payable at 10% of the Annual Value (AV) regardless of whether the property is let out, vacant or occupied.

Owner occupiers of residential properties may pay concessionary owner-occupier tax rates based on the Annual Values (AVs) of your building as follows: (refer to website).

The concessionary tax rates can only be applied to one home owned and occupied by an individual or a married couple. If a married couple were to owner-occupy two homes even though each home is separately owned by each individual and not jointly owned by the couple, the owner-occupier tax rates can only apply to one of the homes.
    Many thanks. I understand better now (after reading your reply). Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by sillyme View Post
    Many thanks for the enlightenment. In that case, I better register the address with the higher AV to my I/C. Thanks again.
    FYI.
    If you have a HDB and a private property, but is not renting out the HDB.......

"If you own both a HDB flat and a private residential property, the owner-occupier tax rates will automatically apply to the HDB flat. This is because an owner of a HDB flat is required to use it for owner-occupation."

FYI.
    If you have a HDB and a private property, but is not renting out the HDB.......

"If you own both a HDB flat and a private residential property, the owner-occupier tax rates will automatically apply to the HDB flat. This is because an owner of a HDB flat is required to use it for owner-occupation."

tis is not necc true.
    my fwen applied for her condo to be applied using owner-occupier tax rates & she got it. so her hdb pay 10% hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    tis is not necc true.
    my fwen applied for her condo to be applied using owner-occupier tax rates & she got it. so her hdb pay 10% hahaha
    Is she renting out her HDB ?

Is she renting out her HDB ?
    nope, both for self stay.

issit becos both r not rented out?

I was wondering if I have 2 ppty, stay in A and rent out B. Can we apply the lower rate on the rented one?

nope, both for self stay.

issit becos both r not rented out?

I was wondering if I have 2 ppty, stay in A and rent out B. Can we apply the lower rate on the rented one?
    Strange......

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10325p....PtyEligibility

Singapore Citizen flat owners and occupiers must continue to stay in their HDB flat after the purchase of the private residential property unless prior approval from HDB is obtained to sublet the whole flat.

Strange......

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10325p....PtyEligibility

Singapore Citizen flat owners and occupiers must continue to stay in their HDB flat after the purchase of the private residential property unless prior approval from HDB is obtained to sublet the whole flat.
    but she din sublet her hdb mah, wat's there to be strange abt?

but she din sublet her hdb mah, wat's there to be strange abt?
    If she din sublet her HDB, by right, she is supposed to stay in the HDB flat.
    Therefore the concessionary property tax is supposed to be applied to the HDB and not the pte ppty.

If she din sublet her HDB, by right, she is supposed to stay in the HDB flat.
    Therefore the concessionary property tax is supposed to be applied to the HDB and not the pte ppty.
    by default it is. she juz tried her luck & wrote in to request for it to be applied to the condo & she got it.

btw, some ppl who had done tat taught her one ok, tat means hers is not a special case.

by default it is. she juz tried her luck & wrote in to request for it to be applied to the condo & she got it.

btw, some ppl who had done tat taught her one ok, tat means hers is not a special case.
    Thanks for sharing!

So it is possible to try and ask.
    By sharing this info, you may have helped some people to save some money .

Quote Originally Posted by East Lover View Post
    I think your project could be approved for TOP on 29 May.

You can claim back the property tax from 29 May to the day you collected the key, from developer.

I did that. just ask your lawyer to send a request, few weeks later you will get a cheque from developer.
    Thank you thank you, this is good experience that I learnt, from you! ))

If you sublet your whole flat with approval from HDB, you can pay 10% AV on the HDB and owner-occupier AV on your private residence.

The key is "prior approval from HDB to sub-let the whole flat". Apply on the HDB website.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry View Post
    If you sublet your whole flat with approval from HDB, you can pay 10% AV on the HDB and owner-occupier AV on your private residence.

The key is "prior approval from HDB to sub-let the whole flat". Apply on the HDB website.
    Hi sis,

From my conversion with IRAS 2 years ago...i was informed that the HDB will be 4% and my pc 10% regardless I live in PC or HDB....So may I know whether have you done it before? Or it's a new updated information from IRAS?
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

Quote Originally Posted by CondoWE View Post
    Hi sis,

From my conversion with IRAS 2 years ago...i was informed that the HDB will be 4% and my pc 10% regardless I live in PC or HDB....So may I know whether have you done it before? Or it's a new updated information from IRAS?
    I have done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by CondoWE View Post
    Hi sis,

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page_ektid14102.aspx

4. When you sublet your flat/rooms

If you rent out the entire flat, the owner-occupier tax rates will be withdrawn from the date of letting. Your flat will be taxed at the standard tax rate of 10%. If your tenant has stamped the tenancy agreement, you do not need to notify IRAS of the letting.

Default Property Tax Must Pay to IRAS even after selling?

Any kind souls pls kinda advise..

Scenario
    Owner staying in HDB and bought a pte condo pty in 2009, TOP in Aug'12. However, the owner did not occupy the pty. Instead, he managed to sell it 3 months later (i.e. Nov'12) after TOP. Now, the new buyer requested for the monies which IRAS tax this new buyer for the months of Aug'12 to Nov'12. Of course, beyond Nov'12 to now, the buyer has to pay because it is occupied by his family.

Question: Must the seller now reimburse this buyer for the 3 mths pty tax- which the seller intend to sell the pty, and has no intention to occupy ? Can the seller claim for relief of vacant pty or pay the buyer first, later claim for relief or what? There is no intention of staying in the pte pty, so I dun see a reason why owner has to pay pty tax ?

Your lawyer should have taken care of this....

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=2380

Quote Originally Posted by viosrider View Post

Scenario
    Owner staying in HDB and bought a pte condo pty in 2009, TOP in Aug'12. However, the owner did not occupy the pty. Instead, he managed to sell it 3 months later (i.e. Nov'12) after TOP. Now, the new buyer requested for the monies which IRAS tax this new buyer for the months of Aug'12 to Nov'12. Of course, beyond Nov'12 to now, the buyer has to pay because it is occupied by his family.

Question: Must the seller now reimburse this buyer for the 3 mths pty tax- which the seller intend to sell the pty, and has no intention to occupy ? Can the seller claim for relief of vacant pty or pay the buyer first, later claim for relief or what? There is no intention of staying in the pte pty, so I dun see a reason why owner has to pay pty tax ?

There is no intention of staying in the pte pty, so I dun see a reason why owner has to pay pty tax ?
    huh what kind of logic is this ? owner must pay pty tax for the period from TOP till the day he sold. For this 3 months, whether owner "has intention to stay" is totally irrelevant. "Owner occupying" or not just determines what rate it used to compute the tax. In fact if it is not staying, tax higher at 10%. The buyer has every right to claim the tax for this 3 months from the seller.

Scenario

Regardless whether u stay or don't stay, u still need to pay property tax.So in this scenario, the seller has to pay for the 3mths tax which the buyer is claiming from.