Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MM Market Trend from 2016 onwards?

Default MM Market Trend from 2016 onwards?

Hi Fellow Gurus,

Given the large number of MM completion in Geylang in the next few years, my questions are:-

i) Will there be a significant drop in price of MMs when landlords decided to sell them when they're unable to rent them out for a profit?

ii) Understand that currently a 2-bedder MM could fetch a rather decent monthly rent of about $2300 to $3200. However with the increase of MMs, what would be the impact to the rental yield?

Thanks in advance.

it's all depending on the location of yr MM la. If yr MM is well located, having more supply than demand in the market will not affect u.
    those nid to worry shd be those MM located in not so accessible areas, low flr etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    it's all depending on the location of yr MM la. If yr MM is well located, having more supply than demand in the market will not affect u.
    those nid to worry shd be those MM located in not so accessible areas, low flr etc.
    wat's wrong with low floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcakes View Post
    wat's wrong with low floor?
    nothing wrong, but if a landlord got 2 units to rent out in the same project, same facing, same amt. will u, as a tenant choose the 2nd floor or 10th floor?

Where do you think are the good and bad locations for MM?
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

nothing wrong, but if a landlord got 2 units to rent out in the same project, same facing, same amt. will u, as a tenant choose the 2nd floor or 10th floor?
    2nd floor will be cheaper to buy than 10th, so its perfectly logical to have the 2nd floor rented out at cheaper than 10th floor. And that might not always be the case either.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

make sure ur MM units come w unique layout lor?

I think my 1loft duplex unit quite unique leh...somemore mine top floor w open balcony so called 'penthouse' lol

where u can find open roof balcony for MM?

Based on my experience, floors doesn't matter. Doesn't mean high floor will fetch higher rental or rent out easier. If I take an average, high floor rental is similar to low floor rental.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    Based on my experience, floors doesn't matter. Doesn't mean high floor will fetch higher rental or rent out easier. If I take an average, high floor rental is similar to low floor rental.
    Higher floors have slight advantage based on same layout n facing.
    They will be the 1s to be rented out 1st n in fact alot of tenants wont mind paying slightly more for a higher floor unit..

Quote Originally Posted by fiat500 View Post
    Higher floors have slight advantage based on same layout n facing.
    They will be the 1s to be rented out 1st n in fact alot of tenants wont mind paying slightly more for a higher floor unit..
    Not always the case. Some tenants are afraid of heights. And if you are facing greenery, you will get a nicer resort feel on the lower floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
    Hi Fellow Gurus,

Given the large number of MM completion in Geylang in the next few years, my questions are:-

i) Will there be a significant drop in price of MMs when landlords decided to sell them when they're unable to rent them out for a profit?

ii) Understand that currently a 2-bedder MM could fetch a rather decent monthly rent of about $2300 to $3200. However with the increase of MMs, what would be the impact to the rental yield?

Thanks in advance.
    What do u mean by unable to rent them out for a profit? Is it rental price more than installment then difference consider your so called "profit"? Please define coz I don't understand.

If there are high demand for MM, an increase of MM will not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    but hv u encounter cases whereby yr low floor unit is rivalling wif yr neighbour's high flr one at the same time?

den based on yr past encounters yr ppty at which loc get rented out easily?

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    Im merely a greenhorn. r u sure my opinion is reliable?

Not always the case. Some tenants are afraid of heights. And if you are facing greenery, you will get a nicer resort feel on the lower floor.
    Majority of tenants prefer higher floors if given the choice.
    The trend is higher floors will be rented out faster than lower floor units for same stack n facing.

The trend is higher floors will be rented out faster than lower floor units for same stack n facing.
    If it is a new top project, the rental price same and requests by tenant fully met by landlords then more likely they will choose high floor, same stack and facing.

Other than that, it depends on circumstances coz higher floor doesn't really mean a lot to majority of tenants.

Quote Originally Posted by Eh View Post
    If it is a new top project, the rental price same and requests by tenant fully met by landlords then more likely they will choose high floor, same stack and facing.

Other than that, it depends on circumstances coz higher floor doesn't really mean a lot to majority of tenants.
    Imagine u are the tenant yourself, if u are offered a 3rd floor n 12th floor unit same facing..Which would u choose?
    Of coz it matters to tenants cos they are just like u and me.

Imagine u are the tenant yourself, if u are offered a 3rd floor n 12th floor unit same facing..Which would u choose?
    Of coz it matters to tenants cos they are just like u and me.
    If the 12th floor unit is rundown compare to 3rd floor, they will choose 3rd floor. If the 12th floor unit has more unnecessary items and furnitures in the unit than 3rd floor, they will choose 3rd floor. Those are just a couple of example. Floor level is not a major criteria when a tenant choose a unit.

If the 12th floor unit is rundown compare to 3rd floor, they will choose 3rd floor. If the 12th floor unit has more unnecessary items and furnitures in the unit than 3rd floor, they will choose 3rd floor. Those are just a couple of example. Floor level is not a major criteria when a tenant choose a unit.
    Not talking about contents of the house..
    Just comparing high floor and low floor only.
    Last edited by fiat500; 24-10-13 at 21:04.

Imo,it is a criteria.I do not agree with your views.
    It is a criteria. But not a major criteria.

It is a criteria. But not a major criteria.
    But imo,it's a major criteria..

I can tell you that many of the high rental yield MM projects in Singapore are low rise. And the reason is because in Europe, USA and even Australia, many people are not use to living in high rise apartment.

But imo,it's a major criteria..
    Good for you then.

I can tell you that many of the high rental yield MM projects in Singapore are low rise. And the reason is because in Europe, USA and even Australia, many people are not use to living in high rise apartment.
    That's becos so far majority of mm units are built low rise..
    Tenants do not have a wide choice of building heights when choosing mm units...

Good for you then.
    To each its own..
    No right or wrong in whosoever opinion.

That's becos so far majority of mm units are built low rise..
    Tenants do not have a wide choice of building heights when choosing mm units...

In CCR alone, there are plenty of high rise MM apartments, but it seems to me that the more in demand MM projects are still the low rise.

Tenants do have plenty of choices for high rise MM. You can check out the supply of MM from this site

https://www.squarefoot.com.sg/market.../shoebox-units

In CCR alone, there are plenty of high rise MM apartments, but it seems to me that the more in demand MM projects are still the low rise.

Tenants do have plenty of choices for high rise MM. You can check out the supply of MM from this site

https://www.squarefoot.com.sg/market.../shoebox-units
    Many of the high rise mms stated there are not even top yet. So it cannot be taken into a/c whether high rise or low rise are more popular.
    Another thing is most of the high rise mm are more atas, rental price definitely higher..Tenants of mm generally hv lower budget.
    Last edited by fiat500; 24-10-13 at 21:46.

Many of the high rise mms stated there are not even top yet. So it cannot be taken into a/c.
    Icon is not even a mm project, there are no under 500sq ft units there but
    why is it listed there?
    technically ICON is not MM because its bigger than 500sqft. but for tenant looking for a studio apartment in high rise or low rise, its not going be deal breaker if its 499sqft or 501 sqft.

There are several highrise MM project along RV, Newton that has TOP. You can use the rental yield as a comparison to low rise MM.

technically ICON is not MM because its bigger than 500sqft. but for tenant looking for a studio apartment in high rise or low rise, its not going be deal breaker if its 499sqft or 501 sqft.

There are several highrise MM project along RV, Newton that has TOP. You can use the rental yield as a comparison to low rise MM.
    the highrise mm generally are more expensive thus generating lower rental yield compared to the low rise mm which are less expensive.
    No reason why high rise mm are less popular than low rise.
    In time to come, high rise mm will be even more popular when altez, skysuites, devonshire residences, spottiswoode etc.. have top.
    Last edited by fiat500; 24-10-13 at 22:04.

Generally rental yield for lower floors is going to be higher than higher floors unless higher floor has a premium view.

There will be people who like higher floors and others who like lower floors.

If there is a choice bet 2nd floor or at least mid floor or higher, most would go for the higher floor if rental difference is the same or not too different.
    Have made this choice before, its quite an easy decision.

Of course other variables such as view, renovation etc may override choice of floor.