Thread: Rental

Default Rental

1) Do I need to let the management know that I have rented out my unit if there is no management office and security guard station at the condo?

2) If I rent out my unit 3 mths after the TOP, can I claim for subsidize ppty tax for these 3 mths that is vacant?

Quote Originally Posted by Lav123 View Post
    2) If I rent out my unit 3 mths after the TOP, can I claim for subsidize ppty tax for these 3 mths that is vacant?
    my friend, if this happens before yesterday, you claim FULL pty tax ! i.e. you pay no pty tax for these 3 mths.

After today, sorry no more.

Just call IRAS property tax division. You may be able to do it as the period of claim was last year.

Removal of Vacancy Claim with effect from 1 Jan 2014

The Government has announced the removal of the property tax refund concession on unoccupied buildings with effect from 1 Jan 2014. All unoccupied buildings will be taxed at the prevailing tax rates. Tax treatments of vacant properties will also be streamlined.

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    my friend, if this happens before yesterday, you claim FULL pty tax ! i.e. you pay no pty tax for these 3 mths.

After today, sorry no more.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008 View Post
    Just call IRAS property tax division. You may be able to do it as the period of claim was last year.

Removal of Vacancy Claim with effect from 1 Jan 2014

The Government has announced the removal of the property tax refund concession on unoccupied buildings with effect from 1 Jan 2014. All unoccupied buildings will be taxed at the prevailing tax rates. Tax treatments of vacant properties will also be streamlined.
    Thank you so much, bros. I will check with IRAS later on. At least give it a try.

IRAS cannot denied you the claim looking at the details on their website.
    Thank you so much, bros. I will check with IRAS later on. At least give it a try.

IRAS cannot denied you the claim looking at the details on their website.
    Yes, I have read the link that you gave me, thank you so much.

alamak I meant if the vacant period is last year you can do it. vacant period this yr you cannot.

you can always claim if the period is last year. no need to check. this is tax principle.

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    alamak I meant if the vacant period is last year you can do it. vacant period this yr you cannot.

you can always claim if the period is last year. no need to check. this is tax principle.
    Is okay, I think there is some misinterpretation, thanks anyway.

Normally do you all get the Hp No from the tenants and vice versa?

Never Never pass your hp no. to your tenants. Always goes through your agent. That is why you pay commission to him/her. It is easier to get things done via 3rd party (ie. the agent).
    Is okay, I think there is some misinterpretation, thanks anyway.

Normally do you all get the Hp No from the tenants and vice versa?

Never Never pass your hp no. to your tenants. Always goes through your agent. That is why you pay commission to him/her. It is easier to get things done via 3rd party (ie. the agent).
    Oic, thank you but can we get the tenant's hp from the agent or it is advisable not to have too?

This might be a silly question but just to confirm, does the waiver of the ppty tax starts from :-
    1) TOP or
    2) collection of key (eg 1 mth late after TOP) or
    3) the day when the unit is ready for renting

Do you know that you can claim against the developer for property tax rebate for the period between official release of TOP and your collection of key? Your lawyer can do it for you FOC.
    This might be a silly question but just to confirm, does the waiver of the ppty tax starts from :-
    1) TOP or
    2) collection of key (eg 1 mth late after TOP) or
    3) the day when the unit is ready for renting

I do not see a problem.
    Oic, thank you but can we get the tenant's hp from the agent or it is advisable not to have too?

Duplicate post

Do you know that you can claim against the developer for property tax rebate for the period between official release of TOP and your collection of key? Your lawyer can do it for you FOC.
    Yes, thanks, I have received a letter from my lawyer but it states that :-
    "Your liability for ppty tax starts after the date on which your lawyers receive notice to take possession from the developer's solicitors ie from 3rd Sep 2013. All ppty tax assessed before this date is payable by the developer." But I had collected my key only in early Oct, and I had received the ppty tax assessment starting from 30th Aug 2013 which was stated by IRAS as TOP date, so in this case what is the period I can claim from the developer?

"Your liability for ppty tax starts after the date on which your lawyers receive notice to take possession from the developer's solicitors ie from 3rd Sep 2013. All ppty tax assessed before this date is payable by the developer." But I had collected my key only in early Oct, and I had received the ppty tax assessment starting from 30th Aug 2013 which was stated by IRAS as TOP date, so in this case what is the period I can claim from the developer?

Just ask your lawyer to claim the property tax rebate from the developer from the TOP date 30 Aug 2013 to your date of key collection. However most times you may only be able to claim till 3rd Sep 2013 depending on terms and conditions of that project. Your lawyer will advise you... speak to him.

You can claim for the period fm 3 sept to date of key collection via yvr lawyer.

Thank you so much. I have received the ppty tax monthly Instalment plan from the IRAS already but the amt calculated is before the claim for my vacant unit. So if IRAS approves my claim, is it that I cannot reimburse the ppty tax from the developer already.

You will just pay the tax and get reimbursement from developer for the period between TOP date and the date you collect your key from the developer.
    Thank you so much. I have received the ppty tax monthly Instalment plan from the IRAS already but the amt calculated is before the claim for my vacant unit. So if IRAS approves my claim, is it that I cannot reimburse the ppty tax from the developer already.

You will just pay the tax and get reimbursement from developer for the period between TOP date and the date you collect your key from the developer.
    Thank you so much.

You can claim for the period fm 3 sept to date of key collection via yvr lawyer.
    You missed out the period from 30 Aug 2013 to 3 Sep 2013 which the developer has committed to pay... still need to write in to formally request for it along with evidence (receipt etc) of the paid property tax. Developer does not pay you automatically.

The grey zone is from 3 Sep 2013 to key collection. I had an instance when developer only pays the earlier 1st part but not the 2nd part citing sales and purchase agreement.

I was reimbursed for the so call grey part. First part is rather small.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeline View Post
    You missed out the period from 30 Aug 2013 to 3 Sep 2013 which the developer has committed to pay... still need to write in to formally request for it along with evidence (receipt etc) of the paid property tax. Developer does not pay you automatically.

The grey zone is from 3 Sep 2013 to key collection. I had an instance when developer only pays the earlier 1st part but not the 2nd part citing sales and purchase agreement.

Tenancy agreement was signed on 31/12/2013, lease started on 01/01/2014, so which period can I claim from IRAS? Start from the key collection to 31/12/2013 or start from TOP (ie 03/09/2013) to 31/12/2013?

Tenancy agreement was signed on 31/12/2013, lease started on 01/01/2014, so which period can I claim from IRAS? Start from the key collection to 31/12/2013 or start from TOP (ie 03/09/2013) to 31/12/2013?

You are claiming these only:
    1. 30 Aug to 3 Sep 13 - from developer
    2. 3 Sep to key collection - from developer for the delay in handing over key, if they agree
    3. From 3 Sep to 31 Dec 13 - from Iras for property tax rebate due to vacant tenancy

Write in to lawyer re 1 and 2.
    Write in to Iras for 3 (I also have not yet written in for mine which was almost 8 months vacant.)

In any case you must have paid up the property tax already in order to do these claims from developer and Iras.

Hope you got these step by step sequence. There is no hurry to get these done cos there is no expiry date. I have even procrastinated more than 1 year previously.

2. 3 Sep to key collection - from developer for the delay in handing over key, if they agree
    3. From 3 Sep to 31 Dec 13 - from Iras for property tax rebate due to vacant tenancy

Write in to Iras for 3 (I also have not yet written in for mine which was almost 8 months vacant.)

In any case you must have paid up the property tax already in order to do these claims from developer and Iras.

Hope you got these step by step sequence. There is no hurry to get these done cos there is no expiry date. I have even procrastinated more than 1 year previously.
    I think there is a deadline according to the IRAS website, if I'm not wrong. I refer to the site "Removal of Refund of Property Tax on Unoccupied Buildings". Am I looking at the correct web page?

Great explanation.

I think there is a deadline according to the IRAS website, if I'm not wrong. I refer to the site "Removal of Refund of Property Tax on Unoccupied Buildings". Am I looking at the correct web page?
    How do I apply?

The Government has announced the removal of the property tax refund on unoccupied buildings with effect from 1 Jan 2014. All unoccupied buildings will be taxed at the prevailing tax rates.
    If your property has been vacant for any period between 1 Nov 2012 to 31 Dec 2013 (both dates inclusive) for the following reasons, please submit your vacancy refund claim by 31 Mar 2014:
    i) Unable to rent out the property despite taking reasonable effort to do so; or
    ii) Property was undergoing repairs to make it fit for occupation;
    Please e-File your claim at myTax.iras.gov.sg with your SingPass/IRAS PIN or download the claim form from our website for submission. Any claim for vacancy refund made after 31 Mar 2014 will not be considered.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/uplo...n-1%282%29.pdf

Thanks Brother Chestnut !!! I will procrastinate no more !

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut View Post
    How do I apply?

The Government has announced the removal of the property tax refund on unoccupied buildings with effect from 1 Jan 2014. All unoccupied buildings will be taxed at the prevailing tax rates.
    If your property has been vacant for any period between 1 Nov 2012 to 31 Dec 2013 (both dates inclusive) for the following reasons, please submit your vacancy refund claim by 31 Mar 2014:
    i) Unable to rent out the property despite taking reasonable effort to do so; or
    Please e-File your claim at myTax.iras.gov.sg with your SingPass/IRAS PIN or download the claim form from our website for submission. Any claim for vacancy refund made after 31 Mar 2014 will not be considered.

Hope you got these step by step sequence.
    Ya, forgotten to thank you for your detail explanation .

Does it mean that future reconstruction or A&A of houses does not get tax rebate? Glad that I have already done mine. One year tax refund is quite substantial.
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnut View Post
    How do I apply?